PDA

View Full Version : Snes9xGC WIP

lantus
August 16th, 2004, 16:26
ive started to port Snes9x to the Gamecube. So far its coming along nicely

more information at - http://www.gcdev.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=831

Cap'n 1time
August 16th, 2004, 16:38
... BOOYAH! cant wait for that memory card to come out!

click this if you dont know what the hell i am talking about with the memory card.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gamecube;action=display;num=10862053 15;start=12#12

lantus
August 16th, 2004, 16:50
yeah either can i - debugging code using PSO is a head**** :\

any updates on when its released?

Cap'n 1time
August 16th, 2004, 16:59
T.B.A

http://www.gameseek.co.uk/productdetail/Cubes8hbq4rw200v4k85/

according the code junkies this month!

http://us.codejunkies.com/shop/product.asp?c=US&cr=USD&cs=$&r=0&l=1&ProdID=297

wraggster
August 16th, 2004, 17:44
Heres the PIC :)

wraggster
August 16th, 2004, 17:52
i cant wait for that maxdrive to be released.

ive got my gamecube lcd screen :)

wraggster
August 16th, 2004, 18:12
has the gamecube got any features that make snes emulation easier, for example same chip family?

lantus
August 16th, 2004, 18:19
not at all - its a completly different architecture

Hola
August 16th, 2004, 19:32
To bad GCs a beast and to have have FullSpeed emulation on GC would be outragous. I except release 1 to be perfect since GC has more than enoug power.

BTW great to see people working on GC.

wraggster
August 17th, 2004, 14:07
are you using the legal Gamecube dev tools to port this emu?

how will buttons be mapped, or what do you see as a good way of mapping them onto the gamecube controller.

Cap'n 1time
August 17th, 2004, 15:54
ugh. i hadnt even thought of the controll scheme... this might be kind of annoying.

lantus
August 18th, 2004, 01:57
yeah using the legal dev tools - libOGC and DevKitCube R8

havent thought about the controller scheme yet - you guys are getting ahead of yourselves :) i need to get rendering working properly first ;)

wraggster
August 18th, 2004, 09:48
hehe just enthusiastic :)

i wonder how big the Max drive from Datel will be storage wise.

Cap'n 1time
August 18th, 2004, 17:24
hehe just enthusiastic :)

i wonder how big the Max drive from Datel will be storage wise.

i know they have one with 8 megs and i believe i saw one for 16... but i might just be making that up.

lantus
August 23rd, 2004, 07:27
ugh..unflattering screenshots

heres some new ones with my favourite new emulator for GC homebrew - Whinecube

http://www.lantus-x.com/images/Snes9xGC1.PNG

http://www.lantus-x.com/images/Snes9xGC2.PNG

http://www.lantus-x.com/images/Snes9xGC3.PNG

http://www.lantus-x.com/images/Snes9xGC4.PNG

and on my GC

http://www.lantus-x.com/images/Snes9xGCTV.JPG

LyonHrt
August 23rd, 2004, 09:14
Those are pretty nice screenshots, also nice that they work on whinecube (need to check that emu out!)

wraggster
August 23rd, 2004, 11:10
wow awesome stuff :)

whats the speed etc like so far :)

also how good are the dev tools for the gamecube in comparison to what you have used before?

lantus
August 24th, 2004, 01:03
so far its running at full speed (60fps) - but i havent tested any custom chip roms yet, and there is no sound/controller code implemented yet.

wraggster
August 24th, 2004, 01:24
wow pretty damn impressive then:)

Cap'n 1time
August 24th, 2004, 16:21
astounding job lantus. :o

lantus
August 25th, 2004, 04:38
a couple of quick updates, nothing major :

centred screen positioning and added controller code. Next up Audio - that will be interesting

wraggster
August 25th, 2004, 11:02
Now you have to work out the Configeration of the Controls :)

or have it so you can configure yourself ;)

itll be interesting to see how you do it

DemoniusX
August 26th, 2004, 17:04
wow, too bad DC can't emulate as good as this may become. I know the GC needs a flash card to emulate stuff, what else does it need?

Hola
August 26th, 2004, 17:47
Porting something to GC or Xbox takes no optimaztions at all.

quzar
August 26th, 2004, 17:54
Porting something to GC or Xbox takes no optimaztions at all.

this is another excellent example of your trolling, since that is completely off topic and relatively untrue. it is dependant completely on what you are porting. Also you are working with (relatively) new tools that there is not much documentation for.

Hola
August 26th, 2004, 18:25
I obviously ment snes emulators. And you have more than enough power to not need to optimize code all the much at all for GC and defanitly not for xbox. Also posting to topics I find of interest or responding to things I want to is trolling. My post acount isnt even godly high are anything so why dont you stfu about that and move on to a better insult.

wraggster
August 26th, 2004, 18:59
ahem

No flaming on these boards

lantus
August 27th, 2004, 09:40
right, im out of town for a few days so no updates for a while

ill leave you with another screenshot though :)

http://www.lantus-x.com/images/Snes9xGC_MK2.PNG

wraggster
August 27th, 2004, 09:53
OMG what a ruddy great screenshot :)

whats the speed like?

nice work

Hola
August 27th, 2004, 10:28
I'm pretty sure he said it was fullspeed already wraggster....

wraggster
August 27th, 2004, 12:08
yeah but with dsp chips and superfx chips it will slow the emulation down ;)

Hola
August 27th, 2004, 12:31
Meh I'm sure it still funs fullspeed I mean its on a GC. More than enough needed power.

Cap'n 1time
August 27th, 2004, 16:01
Meh I'm sure it still funs fullspeed I mean its on a GC. More than enough needed power.

more than likely hes right... i mean the gc dosnt run on a 386 you know... its a powerfull system.

fackue
August 28th, 2004, 00:24
OMG A GC SNES EMU!! :o

Cap'n 1time
August 28th, 2004, 09:09
this may be a little off topic
I was just playing xsnes9x and i was wondering... do you have any other xbox projects in the works? one thing we really need is a legall dashboard replacement or a filemanager... it would kind of be nice if we could use the mech/007 exploit for things other than linux.

wraggster
August 28th, 2004, 09:17
i wonder if N64 emulation is possible on the Gamecube?

i heard there was N64 emulation in a Gamecube Zelda game?

Cap'n 1time
August 28th, 2004, 22:10

i heard there was N64 emulation in a Gamecube Zelda game?

I am not completely certain but i believe it was decided that the the zelda's were complete rewrites.

you know how i discovered that the chrono trigger snes rom was on the ps version.. but didnt use an emulator... It may be the same type of thing.

wraggster
August 29th, 2004, 03:50
possibly

Cant wait for Lantus to get back with some more juicy info :)

I hope that Max Drive Gets released soon

lantus
August 29th, 2004, 19:40
im back :)

i havent tried SMK on the gc yet as ive been using whinecube for the most part but i think it will run at fullspeed no problems. Currently all SuperFX roms i have tried crash the emulator so i need to do a little debugging there.

wraggster
August 29th, 2004, 19:45
Nice to have you back :)

Masken made a great emulator for testing then ;)

mario Kart on the cube :)

Hola
August 29th, 2004, 22:54
Wraggster I think GC could do N64 pretty decently if it used a little underclocking and maybe a light frameskip. Nothing the average player would notice.

quzar
August 29th, 2004, 23:36
Wraggster I think GC could do N64 pretty decently if it used a little underclocking and maybe a light frameskip. Nothing the average player would notice.

actually it already has fullspeed emulation ala LoZ: OoT

Eric
August 30th, 2004, 01:44
its a little bit less powerful then xbox so Hola might be right unless you know for sure

Ian_micheal
September 9th, 2004, 13:05
Gc has no problem ether does the xbox emulating snes9x source code runs fullspeed on a 600 mhz pc both consoles are more powerfull then that.

wraggster
September 9th, 2004, 13:50
i wonder if Lantus has any updates

wraggster
September 16th, 2004, 20:44
Lantus posted these updates on GC Dev Forums:

7-zip support wont be looked at right now. as it stands i dont even have zlib implemented yet.

i've been beavering away on and off over the past week - i have audio working somewhat but its a bit scratchy - im certainly not happy with it, so i need to look at that closely. shagkur has been helping me with all the dumb libogc questions i have been asking.

SRAM saving isnt implemented yet but its next on the todo list.

im thinking about releasing a WIP this weekend - without save support and with a simple rom injector for the dol for people to have a look at - maybe to give me some bug reports on roms which are/are not working

think this is a good idea?

wraggster
September 16th, 2004, 20:45
Also this :

mem card saves will be in for the WIP

thats correct - after the dol is loaded you dont need the BBA connection anymore

i was out of town most of the weekend so i didnt get around to releasing a WIP - but i will hopefully have one out really soon

Very Mouthwatering isnt it :)

wraggster
September 16th, 2004, 20:46
I wish the Maxdrive pro was released :)

Reppa
October 18th, 2004, 05:42

Yes an emulator made by nintendo exist and it is in the zelda collection dans zelda ocarina of time mini dvd

Jurai create an injector, you can replace zelda roms by a new one, just a little problem, not all the system are emulate, so only 6 or 7 n64 games work and not with the save.

I appreciate it to play mario 64 and starfox 64 on my cube, but no save :'(

Eric
October 18th, 2004, 08:06
hey all i have to say and i am a bit offtopic i have the Xbox and i love your work with the Snes port to Xbox amazing

Cap'n 1time
October 18th, 2004, 17:38
heh heh, i think i already said that eric :) .

Is there any info somewhere on that n64 rom injector for the zelda collection disk? Id like to read about it.

Tom
November 8th, 2004, 15:37
Ok, I just found out about this.. But how would you make this work on an actual gamecube? Would you need to have a mod chip or something? (I know you need to buy writable mini disks...)

quzar
November 8th, 2004, 15:52
Ok, I just found out about this.. But how would you make this work on an actual gamecube? Would you need to have a mod chip or something? (I know you need to buy writable mini disks...)

there is a company that is coming out with a card reader for the memory card slot.

Cap'n 1time
November 24th, 2004, 11:01
just something of intrest. an emulator for both mame and snes9x KIND OF exist now for the GC. Dont have pso to try this but apparently gc-Linux supports both of these programs (snes9x and xmame). I had no idea that gc-linux could run X applications. anyways for more info look here

http://voidpointer.org/gc-linux/

If these two programs can run on gc-linux others are bound to run well too.

forgetmenot
December 17th, 2004, 14:03
you guys hade quite the comversation here and i realy like lantuses emulator but i think mine is bettter i would show u picturre but both my pc are broken im doing this forum on the schgool computers

UzumakiShade
December 30th, 2004, 16:35
uh this might be a little off topic but i really want to try this or any other emulators and i was wondering is there a topic where i can learn how to import this to my real GCN?

Budokai_4_life
January 1st, 2005, 14:33
how the hell you guys take screen shots! teach me please!

Adrian_DX
January 1st, 2005, 16:43
How is the work coming along? will there be a beta soon? just curious. how will you be able to send both the emulator and the rom over to the gamecube using the PSO hack? how did you make it work on your telly? I have ordered the Max Drive (USB Flash mem. card) for my gamecube but havent recived it yet. Hope to try this emulator soon.

Adrian_DX
January 1st, 2005, 16:45
Oh and Budokai_4_life: To take a screenshot on your PC press Prt Scr/Sys Rq
Then start Paint and press CTRL+V

Need_For_Speed
January 3rd, 2005, 19:59
when you read this please make sure that you vote in my pole. for 2004's HOTTEST GAME!!!

willywalloo
January 13th, 2005, 03:32
How to take a screen shot on other platforms:

Mac : (Mac OS X, OS 9 saves files to the Hard Drive (/)
-"command-shift-3" : saves full screen shot .pdf file to desktop.
-"command-shift-4" : turns arrow into cross hair so you can crop what you want a picture of. This in turn saves the selected screen shot to your desktop.

Linux (KDE/GNOME) :
-Actions in the taskbar should have a tool in it that reads, "Take a Screen
Shot"

IRIX try using Media Recorder : http://www.gatewaycoalition.org/files/introlabs/ed/documentation/media_rec.html

Windows (just repeating so it's in one place) :
-hit printscreen button on keyboard, push control-v in paint, crop as needed. save the file somewhere.

These are some operating systems that I'm familiar with, though I've only taken shots in Windows95/.., and Mac OS X,9,8,7.

for a thorough answer: OUT.

Goku
February 6th, 2005, 22:59
Can we burn Snes9xGC to a mini-DVD and run it on the GC with a Viper GC??