PDA

View Full Version : NEO4ALL ALPHA ONE released !

DCEmu_Newsposter
February 7th, 2005, 01:47
Alternative open source NEOGEO/CD emulator:[br][br]- Close to 100% (frameskip0 with sound-fx).[br]- FAME Motorola 68000 core by Fox68k.[br]- CZ80 Zilog Z80 core by Stef.[br]- New Blitter using cache tile (pvr textures).[br][br]http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/screenshots/neocd1.png [br][br]Binary, source code and more info:[br]http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/neo4all.shtml

Zherae
February 7th, 2005, 05:31
Just burn it and WOW!!!! Great job, fullspeed (frameskip 0 with sound), really nice sound SFX's they seemed to be sync'd with the game too. The screen seems to be in low resolution but with a really weird filter its too blurry even in the menu. Only tested with Ghost Pilots anxious to hear the results with more games from the real Neo fanatics.

You can even play with the keyboard with a second player like I did :D

wraggster
February 7th, 2005, 07:04
wow awesome release :) :) :)

Massive Thanks to Chui and Fox68K/Stef for all their hard work :)

M@jk
February 7th, 2005, 08:09
Great Job!!!
Its Amazing, just tested the Metal Slug and its about 90% speed with sound!

But the graphic filter (scan lines?) its little worse than analogue filter on NeoCD/DC

Some strange bug found in Top Hunter - the emulator self-acting pause in game (?)

ron
February 7th, 2005, 09:07
great, great and great again, what a wonderful work

chui
February 7th, 2005, 09:11
The games usally works between 90% and 110% using frameskip0 (depend graphics load), if you use autoframeskip this problem disappears, right or no? i don't have a neogeo system and i don't know real speed.

NEO4ALL use 320x240 NTSC for emulate 312x224 60Hz Neogeo (pvr hardware scale); maybe next version use 640x480 if don't slow down.

Also, many games don't work or don't work fine; Fame core need debug (a bit). Please, report any problem/bug.

Stef
February 7th, 2005, 09:21
The games usally works between 90% and 110% using frameskip0 (depend graphics load), if you use autoframeskip this problem disappears, right or no? i don't have a neogeo system and i don't know real speed.

NEO4ALL use 320x240 NTSC for emulate 312x224 60Hz Neogeo (pvr hardware scale); maybe next version use 640x480 if don't slow down.

Also, many games don't work or don't work fine; *Fame core need debug (a bit). Please, report any problem/bug.

Glad you used CZ80 in this release :)
It was easy to implement it ?
I hope NeoGeo don't use Z80 ports much... i only tested CZ80 in Genesis Plus and Genesis don't use ports at all so i never was able to test these instructions :P

chui
February 7th, 2005, 09:36
NEO4ALL compiled with z80 interface for mZ80 and mameZ80, add CZ80 was very easy to implement (<1 hour), thanks! it's a great core!

I don't know if NeoGeo use a intensive In/Out code, but CZ80 work fine; i don't find any difference of compatibility against mameZ80.

BaldMonk
February 7th, 2005, 09:59
Wow... this is an impressive release fellas.
It's got great speed an sound... the resolution is a little murky, but as you said, it's at 320.

Also, there is one MAJOR bug. It's seems you have assigned the pause button(I think it's the select button on the Neo Geo) to the up, down, left, right and A buttons on the controller, so when you push in a direction it pauses. Metal Slug works great because I don't think it has a puse function, but the others pause with every movement... Rally Chase, and all the fighters etc.

So far only one game hasn't worked... and it may have been from the pause bug, as I didn't know about it before then, but on Samurai Spirits 4, it hans after the 'En Garde' message.

Anyway, this is an amzing emulator... I can't wait to see the next release :)

BaldMonk
February 7th, 2005, 10:02
OH, some more bugs I just realised...

On some games, after the debug loading screen(the one from the emulator) it doesn't refresh on all games, so you can hear the menu music, but nothing appears on screen until you press start.
Oh, and the CDDA lags, but so far every game I've tried has CDDA... some of which don't on NeoCD. :)

*Plays some more*

EDIT: I hate to be picky, but I guess posting as many bugs as I can find could be helpful, right?

In games with timers, they seem to go down too quick, like fighting games, etc. And some effects (especially in the MEtal Slugs) are just white boxes.

chui
February 7th, 2005, 10:43
Don't worry, i need to locate bugs. It's first release and it have a lot of bugs.

Thanks!!

Albatross
February 7th, 2005, 10:45
Just a couple of bugs i've noticed

League Bowling - the pins seem to be set up on the righthand side.

Neo Driftout - the car hangs on the start line & the game then goes to the start menu.

Anyway guys a great release :)

Eric
February 7th, 2005, 13:12
This seems to be a one of a kind release and from the bugs in this version i guess i will wait for the next to give my input. Great work and we finally have SFX which is amazing. The only question i have to ask is does this load CD-ROM iso or rom?

Eric

chui
February 7th, 2005, 13:43
Load CD-ROM NEOGEO games.

Maybe i will convert this emu for loading NEOGEO roms using MMU at far future.

Eric
February 7th, 2005, 14:07
Thanks i was just wondering thats all cause i have CD-Roms

DARKGATE
February 7th, 2005, 14:08
:-/ i have tested many games, but all have problems.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
metal slug- ( problem to movement, when you fire or walk the game go in pause)
ragnacard- (don't load)
real bout fatal fury special- (when begin the fight the game freeze)
fatal fury 3- (afther select the stage, the game freeze)
breakers- (problems at move)
samurai spirit 2 - (at the screen the start game, after you push start game, all freeze)

samurai spirit 4- (when begin for fight, the game freeze)
burning fight - (freeze afther demostration)
sengoku 2 - (freeze)
street hoop - (bug strange, no fx sound)
soccer bawl- :o INCREDIBLE WORK WELL
kof 96 -( first of begin the fight the game freeze)
----------------------------------------------------------------
I have tried this, but too much problems not is a good version for download :'( this is a very, very too much beta version , :-/.
I think wich can be good work for ultimate the atari st emu, for resolve small problem, and after concentrate on other
;) bye.

Darksaviour69
February 7th, 2005, 14:16
soccer brawl is on the neogeo, the soccer game with robots? i love that game!!!! (in the arcade) i'm going to get it

fox68k
February 7th, 2005, 14:30
This is just an ALPHA release, not a BETA one, so do not expect bug free at all. It is intented to show what is going on about neo4all and its progress.

Talking about FAME, it is getting better each day, but it still has a few bunch of frustrating bugs. I am waiting to fix known bugs to release a beta version (i think it is quite stable now).

It looks like input it is not working good, but i believe Chui gonna fix this with ease.

Also, i found the sound output a bit delayed, isn't it? No matter what Z80 configuration i set up, so i guess it is a problem in the sound core.

DARKGATE
February 7th, 2005, 15:25
:P yeah, is alfa version, however i think always at atari st emu, that emu is near to perfect, a lot of problems at comand of pad and sound digitalized.
I Think beauty complete for now this emu, and next work ::) AMIGA EMU :P prey every day for news :).
SOCCER BAWL yes a soccer game futuristic is that, work fine. :) .

quzar
February 7th, 2005, 16:09
im surprised at the decision to keep sdl. very odd.

i hope this competition pushes me harder ;)

chui
February 7th, 2005, 16:56
I use my own sdl port for sound, input, menu and console system, but blitter is pure kos-pvr code.

I don't want to compete, you can use my code if you want, blitter is very fast.

iq_132
February 7th, 2005, 18:38
it'd be awesome if quzar could rip the sound stuff out of this and put into his emulator :)
It would be even better if you two could work together...

Zherae
February 7th, 2005, 18:48

Also, many games don't work or don't work fine; *Fame core need debug (a bit). Please, report any problem/bug.

Oh the picture is stretched wouldn't it be possible to add black horizontal and vertical borders to compensate the extra space and maintain the original ratio? From what I read 320x240 is the minimum resolution DC can output. I was also under the impression that the original resolution of the NeoGeo Cd was 320x224 now I'm completly lost :P How are the keys assign? That would also help I had a bit of a problem booting the game with the pad but pressing random keys in the keyboard did the trick.

Can't wait for future updates.

quzar
February 7th, 2005, 19:44
it'd be awesome if quzar could rip the sound stuff out of this and put into his emulator :)
It would be even better if you two could work together...

i already have sound working, the whole time it was a bug that ian had added in. I was planning for a release sometime this week. it will still happen.

wraggster
February 7th, 2005, 19:55
i think its great to have 2 emulators being worked on, reminds me of the Zsnes/Snes9x

It will be nice to see how far you can help and push the emus :)

Florre
February 8th, 2005, 00:33
Yeah ! This is incredible good news, i have waited a long time for the SFX in a Neo CD emu and now its here! Keep up the good work guys.

A little noob Question: Is this Alpha Neo4All Emu based on Ians NeoCD project?

quzar
February 8th, 2005, 00:41
Yeah ! This is incredible good news, i have waited a long time for the SFX in a Neo CD emu and now its here! Keep up the good work guys.

A little noob Question: Is this Alpha Neo4All Emu based on Ians NeoCD project?

its based on the same emulator the ian ported.

BaldMonk
February 8th, 2005, 01:50
It's strange, Metal Slug 2 has spot on Sound effects (except the CDDA) but every other game has slight lag.

I don't like the fact there will be 2 emulators... but only because of the fact they're both going to kick ass and it'll be hard to decide what one to use... haha.

wraggster
February 8th, 2005, 02:14
use both ;)

chui
February 8th, 2005, 08:05
Yesterday, i've patched sound-fx lag and cleaned sound render a bit.
Also, i've tryed use 640x480 and it works, but tile fault problem grow. i have to patch blitter for solving this.

law56ker
February 8th, 2005, 09:25
i'd like to thank both of you, and remember 2 heads working together is better then one, the dreamcast scene is about community. ian was a great guy but sometimes his attitude took away from teamwork, don't let that happen to you guys.

Florre
February 8th, 2005, 10:53
Okej Quzar! Thanks for telling me ;) Keep up the hard work fellas !

simane
February 8th, 2005, 13:43
:'( i have samourai shodown 2, but the emu said that its not a neocd roms available, so it's an original game but it doesn't work at all, (this is an european version) it was the same with the sdl version, other things: it's possible to don't have a bad smooth rendering screen, i hate this i love a real pixel size!!!!! because i love the pixel art and smoothing pvr rendering is terribly dirty!!>:( anyway it's a good job!! exuse me, my english is very bad..

qatmix
February 8th, 2005, 15:34
Agreed its better with no scalling andd black borders if possible. It ruins 2d when you scale it

GPF
February 9th, 2005, 07:25
Yesterday, i've patched sound-fx lag and cleaned sound render a bit.
Also, i've tryed use 640x480 and it works, but tile fault problem grow. i have to patch blitter for solving this.

how did you fix the lag?

I have added the cz80 and fame to the latest v1 build and have removed the rest of SDL and upported the code to KOS 1.3 but can't figure out the SFX lag, I thought it was because of KOS sound streaming but its in the sound core after all. Cool look forward to seeing how you fixed it.

Troy

chui
February 9th, 2005, 09:05
I've changed ALL sound render, now i use gngeo sound render (similar neocdsdl); also i don't raise a Z80-IRQ per frame.

quzar
February 9th, 2005, 14:17
I've changed ALL sound render, now i use gngeo sound render (similar neocdsdl); also i don't raise a Z80-IRQ per frame.

the gngeo sound renderer is exactly the same as that in neocdsdl, in fact, fosters said that he took the gngeo sound engine to make neocdsdl.

And GPF, I don't know if you problem is with the newer version of kos or not, because when i keep SDL sound, i dont get any lag on it.