PDA

View Full Version : The Calm Before The Storm - The Re- Emergence of the Homebrew Scene Will Arrive Soon

wraggster
May 5th, 2009, 23:34
Recently the last few months i cant be the only one who has noticed that Homebrew on all consoles has suffered a downturn, most notably on what was the biggest homebrew scene of all the PSP and second biggest the Nintendo DS.

Soon the PSP3000 will be cracked for homebrew and that will bring a mass of new Homebrew users, the DSi is being worked on and you never know when a breakthrough will come.

Add to that the Dingoo A320, the Gp2x Wiz and Pandora will bring many new users and reiginite many of the older fans of homebrew.

As always with the Homebrew scene on every console theres quiet times and then theres explosions, the real fans of Homebrew will always be around for the next big thing.

thick9"
May 6th, 2009, 03:23
To heck with the weak portables,when will the XB360/PS3 get cracked for homebrew.It gives me precum to think about what they will be capable of once they have been cracked.

Later Gamers.

CoderX
May 6th, 2009, 03:42
Recently the last few months i cant be the only one who has noticed that Homebrew on all consoles has suffered a downturn, most notably on what was the biggest homebrew scene of all the PSP and second biggest the Nintendo DS.

Soon the PSP3000 will be cracked for homebrew and that will bring a mass of new Homebrew users, the DSi is being worked on and you never know when a breakthrough will come.

Add to that the Dingoo A320, the Gp2x Wiz and Pandora will bring many new users and reiginite many of the older fans of homebrew.

As always with the Homebrew scene on every console theres quiet times and then theres explosions, the real fans of Homebrew will always be around for the next big thing.

Not to be a downer but at the moment I have ZERO plans for creating any new psp homebrew, actually most if not all my focus has been in porting me psp apps to the iPhone SKD. those are all $0.99

The psp is dieing because its hardware is limited in light of more powerful devices. My penguin bobsled and Red Alert games maxed the councal and there is no incentive to developers in pushing the PSP when Apple offers you OpenGL and soon OpenCL.

I'm not attacking the PSP, I love mine and have made at least 30apps for it, but even I know when it is time to move on

PSP:
- 333 MHz MIPS32 - 32 Bit CPU - No RISC
- 166 Mhz GPU - 2 MB onboard - No 3D Sub Layer
- 32 MB DDR RAM + 4 MB DRAM

iPhone:
- 620 MHz ARM CPU - 32-bit RISC (See the Movie Hackers)
- 190 Mhz - PowerVR MBX 3D GPU - With OpenGL
- Ram: 128 MB DRAM

Its not just the fact that it has twice the power, it also has an amazing SKD and all the media intergration you could want when you want it in the psp you have to hack it in. I'm sorry but the PSP is near the end of it 4-5 year life.. and frankly its been a successful run for the homebrew sceen

If I get a chance I'll back port some of my iPhone apps for the PSP... Other than that I've had my word....

Long live the PSP, hello iPhone 3G / Touch

soulanger
May 6th, 2009, 06:09
I understand what CoderX feels.
It is what i also feel on the nintendo ds.
Yes, I am still working on that homebrew called MENUdo.
Although, after releasing that I feel that I need to start earning some money. The iPhone is a great platform for earning money while doing what I love to do. If only nintendo and/or sony would open their sdk, to everyone. :(

sehs33
May 6th, 2009, 07:46
I honestly blame the recession, no one is ready to give anything for free anymore (even those who were doing it for the fun of it). I just hope the Pandora will refresh the scene once its out; I just hate both touch screens and Apple products so it is a big no no for the iPhone/touch for me.

Justise
May 6th, 2009, 08:41
Soon the PSP3000 will be cracked for homebrew and that will bring a mass of new Homebrew users

I hope so. I'm looking forward to get rid of my Fat PSP and buy a newer/faster/lighter one with TV output. Does anyone know if PSP3000 is less noisy when reading disks?

Big=Sexy
May 6th, 2009, 09:49
The 3000 is indeed less noisy when reading disks.

Also important to note is that 3000 models can display games on older TVs (I think it's called RGB output? The classic yellow, red, white cables that replaced coax) while the 2000 can only display games using component cables.

apex05
May 6th, 2009, 12:43
Well Davee's Hen loader has finaly been released so that's hopefully gonna bring the Psp kicking and screaming back to life.

Jeric
May 6th, 2009, 16:41
The one and only piece of homebrew I'm waiting on for the DS is a text editor that doesn't end up deleting the rest of the sd card's contents. Beyond that, I'm simply waiting on when the pandora will be available. Though if the pandora ends up not having more than that one run to satisfy those that preordered (given overall interest, I think it'll have at least one or two more runs, probably more) the DSi, when unlocked, will be interesting.

osgeld
May 6th, 2009, 18:47
The psp is dieing because its hardware is limited in light of more powerful devices. My penguin bobsled and Red Alert games maxed the councal and there is no incentive to developers in pushing the PSP when Apple offers you OpenGL and soon OpenCL.

didnt you make those using luaplayer?

thats kinda like saying you maxed out a corvette but never left first gear, and now you will only drive a Ferrari

goshogun1
May 6th, 2009, 18:50
Hopefully we will see a PC engine/TG 16 emulator for DS. Honestly, I find it hard to believe there isn't one already. There was that really slow GBA one though, so its possible.

Anyway for me personally the ultimate homebrew moment will be the release of Wii64 that actually works well. I look at this site every day, hoping...some day.

almcchesney
May 7th, 2009, 00:12
actually the dsi can be hacked with the ak2i, all ds homebrew works but nothin has been developed to take advantage of the new hard ware

Jeric
May 7th, 2009, 02:22
Then all that's been cracked is the card detection for ds carts. I'm not seven sure if dsiware will use the ds cartridge slot, or just the sd slot. As far as I'm aware running the current dsi homebrew carts simply puts the dsi into ds compatibility mode, hence the inability to access the new stuff.

CoderX
May 7th, 2009, 12:30
didnt you make those using luaplayer?

thats kinda like saying you maxed out a corvette but never left first gear, and now you will only drive a Ferrari

Your comparison doesn't fit because, I used the lua player framework to create an Embedded object C library for the psp, that way all my apps are iPhone portable.

Lua Player is very powerful when you do two things,
1. Remove un-needed libraries
2. Compile your App in C

As long as lua isn't acting as an interrupter its just as fast as any other language

Many of my apps and games changed the way LuaPlayer apps where made and improved their quailty 10 fold. At the moment there are at least
1. 31 Lua apps using my scrolling background class
2. 4 Using the Object C libraries
3. 6 Using my Hit and check class

welshmouse
May 8th, 2009, 06:33
the scene for the Dinoo A320 is growing by the day, i love mine. all we need are few people willing to code for the device. weve even got a number of people willing to make donations, since this is a device that just needs the right support.

check us out here: http://a320.freeforums.org/