PDA

View Full Version : RAW (Another World) removed !

steveola
May 18th, 2004, 23:43
The port of the classic game 'Another World' has been taken off the authors website due to copyright complications.

My advice D/L from DCEmu while you still can!!!!

http://membres.lycos.fr/cyxdown/raw/

Bit silly if you ask me, as the original game is still available for download from many Abandonware sites.

Ah well.

MetaFox
May 19th, 2004, 01:13
The port of the classic game 'Another World' has been taken off the authors website due to copyright complications.Ack! That leaves me in a sticky situation. Although I love the fact that Out of this World was on the Dreamcast through raw, I'm afraid I'm going to have to repect the author's wishes and discontinue any work on rawDC.

I'll try to contact Eric Chahi and see if there is some compromise that can be made - since his work on re-releasing Out of This World obviously won't include the Dreamcast. Maybe I'll be able to get the release out as a cover disc for a future issue of Dream On. Thank heavens I picked up the source to 0.1.1 before the downloads went down. It has sound and music, so it's basically complete now and would warrant space on a cover disc.

Bit silly if you ask me, as the original game is still available for download from many Abandonware sites.Abandonware is illegal, especially when the copyright holder still actively protects their property, as Eric Chahi obviously does.

It would have been nice if he could have worked out a compromise, like ScummVM did with LucasArts, since raw isn't just for PC, but Xbox and Dreamcast as well. But, when the original author makes a decision, authors of ports have to respect the original author's wishes.

lantus
May 19th, 2004, 01:32
damn, what a shame - i had the 0.11 updates merged in with full intro/outro sound/music support ready to release as well as new gfx filters.

hopefully its not the last we hear about raw

MetaFox
May 19th, 2004, 01:36
hopefully its not the last we hear about rawI'm hoping the same. Maybe after the rerelease, a compromise can be made to allow raw to continue so people can run original Out of This World CDs on platforms other than PC.

steveola
May 19th, 2004, 20:13
Surely, so long as the code-wheel protection stays in there is no problem?

This way only the owners of the bona-fide original (like me) can actually start the game.

Just a thought!

(I wish I had kept my big gob shut!) >:(

wraggster
May 19th, 2004, 20:15
im gonna wait for more confirmation and to see what happens until i take the download down, we have no game files anyway so thats not a problem.

Ian_micheal
May 19th, 2004, 20:18
Thought it might be a problem with it. Could allways do a genisis SGG of it optmize it use the new code i have it be pretty much fullspeed.

If Thats the only way.

MetaFox
May 19th, 2004, 22:39
im gonna wait for more confirmation and to see what happens until i take the download down, we have no game files anyway so thats not a problem.I'm debating on whether to release my latest changes, as I don't like leaving projects undone.

The author of raw (cyx) removed his downloads completely, and stopped production of the interpreter altogether.

Should I release an update to my release from cyx's already existing code, or just cancel development completely?

This is more of a moral concern than a legal one. I want to respect cyx's wishes, but I don't want to leave people with a barely playable product.

I'm thinking I'll release the latest update, then cease all future development afterwords.

What do you guys think? I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

DCDayDreamer
May 19th, 2004, 23:01
:(It's a tough decision, I would love to see a more playable version but it's the moral concern again.

Me? I'd do what Metafox suggested, release the version he worked on and stop there. Meaning just a release, no support, no requests etc. just a statement in a readme about the project and it's unfortunate early demise.

Phantom
May 19th, 2004, 23:52
RAW is just an engine, isn't it? I don't see what the problem is, to be honest.

VampiricS
May 19th, 2004, 23:52
The SGG option aint too bad neither though, for those that really care about playing Out Of This World on DC.

lantus
May 19th, 2004, 23:55
either do i, but if he got an email from the author to cease development then that should be the end of it.

Phantom
May 19th, 2004, 23:57
either do i, but if he got an email from the author to cease development then that should be the end of it.Why? If all people would react in that way there'd be no ScummVM anymore either.

wraggster
May 20th, 2004, 00:03
i would release it too if it were me.

but i do understand the concerns.

maybe if we link to the game developpers site to appease them

smiles
May 20th, 2004, 00:08
Definately release it. The RAW engine is a completely rewritten engine for the game. Isn't not a port of the origional source, so there are no copyright concerns.

lantus
May 20th, 2004, 00:25
but AFAIK, Lucasarts are supportive of ScummVM. Heck even Revolution software handed over sourcecode for BASS.

anyway, Eric Chachi talking about some kind of new Another World game/remake sounds interesting :)

Phantom
May 20th, 2004, 00:29
but AFAIK, Lucasarts are supportive of ScummVM.No they're not. ;) http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=837277&forum_id=7223.

Revolution Software are supportive, very supportive even, but they're not Lucasarts...

lantus
May 20th, 2004, 00:47
ah, i stand corrected ;)

WaCk0
May 20th, 2004, 01:49
You still need the original dat files to play it, its more like ScummVM. You'll play your owned DOS copy on DC or XBox...I'm with DCDayDreamer. Release a final for DC , with controler, 0.1.1 and nothing more.

Ian_micheal
May 20th, 2004, 10:00
Hmm well the author removed it what gives any one the right not to follow his lead, but i dont think it's right to release it after the real pc author pulls it..

Like Freecraft i would never touch that.
shines a some what bad light on the scene we follow our own rules and not the authors. not worth it.

MetaFox
May 20th, 2004, 14:16
Hmm well the author removed it what gives any one the right not to follow his lead, but i dont think it's right to release it after the real pc author pulls it..

Like Freecraft i would never touch that.
shines a some what bad light on the scene we follow our own rules and not the authors. not worth it.Thanks for putting it in that way. That's the same way I was thinking, but I didn't put it into perspective until your post.

I'm always trying to get people to shine a bright light on the "scene", and not do something that isn't moral or legal, so what gives me the right to do otherwise.

I think I'll go the original route and see if I can get a legitimate release out via Dream On, by contacting all the respected parties.

smiles
May 20th, 2004, 17:14
Surely if the author of RAW wanted all ports of RAW to stop he would have stated so. It appears to me that he has stopped development. He's not asking anyone else to.

MetaFox
May 20th, 2004, 18:13
Surely if the author of RAW wanted all ports of RAW to stop he would have stated so. It appears to me that he has stopped development. He's not asking anyone else to.Actually, he pulled the entire release from his site. Source and all. That's a good indication that he doesn't want anyone working on it any more.

smiles
May 20th, 2004, 20:39
Please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the code released GPL. If so you are free to do what you want with that code regardless of what happens now. If the author should release another version that is not GPL you are still free to use the current code you have that is GPL. There are really no restrictions for distributing that code so long as you follow the GPL license. If you are the only person left in the world with that code and it's GPL you need no ones permission to distribute it.

MetaFox
May 20th, 2004, 22:59
Please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the code released GPL. If so you are free to do what you want with that code regardless of what happens now. If the author should release another version that is not GPL you are still free to use the current code you have that is GPL. There are really no restrictions for distributing that code so long as you follow the GPL license. If you are the only person left in the world with that code and it's GPL you need no ones permission to distribute it.Very true. As I said before, this is more of a moral dilemma than a legal one. I'm in my legal right to update my changes to the source, but morally I shouldn't as the author has removed his project completely.

Now, studying the source, and starting a brand new project to interpret Another World is a different story. :)

Christuserloeser
May 21st, 2004, 00:28
;D This sounds interesting!

But you really could ask the author of RAW and could get in contact with the actual creators of Another World as you said, so your port might be allowed by a special agreement as this would save you some time.

At least one offer could be a link to his new project for every site that offically hosts your download...

I'll try to contact Eric Chahi and see if there is some compromise that can be made - since his work on re-releasing Out of This World obviously won't include the Dreamcast. *Maybe I'll be able to get the release out as a cover disc for a future issue of Dream On. *Thank heavens I picked up the source to 0.1.1 before the downloads went down. *It has sound and music, so it's basically complete now and would warrant space on a cover disc.

damn, what a shame - i had the 0.11 updates merged in with full intro/outro sound/music support ready to release as well as new gfx filters.

MetaFox
May 21st, 2004, 01:40
;D This sounds interesting!

But you really could ask the author of RAW and could get in contact with the actual creators of Another World as you said, so your port might be allowed by a special agreement as this would save you some time.Heh, I didn't say I was actually starting a new project. ;) Just that it would be the only way to do so without disrespecting the original author's wishes.

Phantom
May 21st, 2004, 03:22
Hmm well the author removed it what gives any one the right not to follow his lead, but i dont think it's right to release it after the real pc author pulls it..Yes, but that's another issue. ;) Just to be clear; my earlier comments were directed at the original author of RAW.

I think he shouldn't have given in to the request. Like I said, if the ScummVM team had reacted the same way two years ago, ScummVM would be dead now. The author is under no legal obligation to stop the project, and I don't see any moral issues there either.

But what Metafox should do now is a different issue ofcourse. If I were Metafox I'd contact the RAW author to discuss it. If the RAW author would request that no further releases were made I would honour that request.

pascal
May 21st, 2004, 08:35
I don't think Eric Chahi will have any troubles regarding a dreamcast port. His main angry was the recent gba port. Few days ago, he asked the author of AW for gba (using another engine than raw) to remove his bin coz Eric Chahi is planning to sale a brand new gba port of AW.I can not imagine his head when he saw that pd release :p
So to prevent any troubles in the future, he asked to the author of RAW to remove all,so he won't suffer from another gba port. I think a release for DC without the availability of the source code won't hurts his business but we'd violate the GPL...
Meta u should definetly contact the author of Raw and Chahi and asking about an GPL infringement release only for DC

Phantom
May 21st, 2004, 18:33
I don't think Eric Chahi will have any troubles regarding a dreamcast port. His main angry was the recent gba port.Did it come with the game files included?

pascal
May 21st, 2004, 19:11
Did it come with the game files included?

yeah, that's the mistake the gba author did.
http://www.foxysofts.com/index.php?l=content/gba/anworld.inc

wraggster
May 21st, 2004, 19:17
id like the author of raw to visit here and tell us his thoughts good or bad, anyone have a site link or email

Christuserloeser
June 1st, 2004, 03:03
:) hey pascal! nice to see u here!

MetaFox
August 17th, 2004, 02:50
Good news. :)

Don't post this anywhere yet - but I just recieved awesome news, so I figured I'd share it with you. ;D

I sent an e-mail to the author of RAW asking for permission to release an updated version of raw for Dreamcast, and possibly relinquishing the GPL so I can release a version without source. He gave me the go-ahead, and although he's still in talks with Eric Chahi in regards to whether to keep raw open source (he's still working on it behind the scenes), he gave me the go-ahead to make a new release with just a diff of the changes I make to the code (ie. not all the source tree) along with the binaries.

I'm going to e-mail Eric Chahi to see how he feels about this, then I'll get back to you. But this is definately good news. :)

DCDayDreamer
August 17th, 2004, 04:59
:)That is good news, fingers crossed for the go ahead for a release.

LyonHrt
August 17th, 2004, 06:37
heh i went to this topic thinking someone had spammed in it, and to moan at posting in a dead topic....
Guess i was wrong :D

wraggster
August 17th, 2004, 12:08
Exceedingly nice work Metafox :)

jinx
November 10th, 2004, 00:42
any word on this project at all?

qatmix
November 10th, 2004, 03:58
SkumVM also looks like it will play another world if you look at the source

MetaFox
November 10th, 2004, 16:30
SkumVM also looks like it will play another world if you look at the sourceRAW started as a ScummVM module. All support for Another world was removed from ScummVM sourcecode as Another World was more of an action/adventure, and ScummVM only focuses on classic graphical adventures.

jinx
November 21st, 2004, 23:54
so no way to play on dc, cept through SNES or Gen??

timofonic
November 22nd, 2004, 02:43
RAW started as a ScummVM module. All support for Another world was removed from ScummVM sourcecode as Another World was more of an action/adventure, and ScummVM only focuses on classic graphical adventures.

No, cyxdown said about doing the project by separate, probable thinkin on add it later. Let's see what occout with Eric Calhi but I have the source code + patches saved, GPL source code you know :)

It seems that maybe after GBA game release and some more time RAW will be continued, who knows...

jinx
February 5th, 2005, 05:35
Related topic....Flashback was just ported to the DC sweeeeet....

DCDayDreamer
February 5th, 2005, 15:12
Congratulations jinx!, you actually fooled me into checking this thread expecting to see the RAW project back from the dead with your bump on the topic :-[.

MetaFox
February 5th, 2005, 17:16
Congratulations jinx!, you actually fooled me into checking this thread expecting to see the RAW project back from the dead with your bump on the topic :-[.It will be if cygwin's servers will ever come back online. >:(

jinx
February 6th, 2005, 04:10
Sorry didnt mean to trick bump the topic...just excited for anytthing Delphine...

MetaFox
February 6th, 2005, 16:35
I recieved permission from cyx long ago to do an update for RAW for Dreamcast, and thanks to inspiration (as well as his prebuilt toolchain, SDL fixes, and optimization settings) from GPF, I have released an update to the original port.

This release now has controller support (X is action button, A is for access codes, dpad moves the character). It doesn't have sound support as I stupidly deleted the source for RAW 0.1.1. I remember people saying that they saved the patches - if anyone still has the source, PM me or get in contact by [email protected]. I'd rather not bother cyx about it.

Scrambled Binary is here: http://www.storm-studios.net/metafox/
A proper release including a readme and source changes will be made later today.

I literally just compiled this, so I figured I'd let anyone interested mess with it.

law56ker
February 6th, 2005, 23:05
hmm cool, i'm looking for the source, google yields no luck

jinx
February 8th, 2005, 19:17
Awsome Metafox..thanks for working on it...let me know if you need a tester or anything....