PDA

View Full Version : Fans Really Do Bash New Star Trek for Being 'Fun, Watchable'

wraggster
May 6th, 2009, 19:27
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2009/05/stewshot.jpg

Remember when The Onion published that parody piece in which "Star Trek fans" complained that the new Star Trek was too entertaining? Well NPR just ran pretty much the same piece...but with complete earnestness.

From the article:

Sharon Martin, who began watching Star Trek when she was 11, says it's almost like they're dissing the generations who grew up on Star Trek.
"They keep running this ad on TV," she observes. "It says, 'Forget everything you know.' This does not seem like a positive come-on for someone like me." So she says she will wait and watch it on DVD.

You can read the print version here, but to get the full effect, you really need to listen to the audio. There's a nicer zinger about Obama really being a Vulcan that you really shouldn't miss.

http://gizmodo.com/5242335/fans-really-do-bash-new-star-trek-for-being-fun-watchable

VampDude
May 6th, 2009, 23:22
I will go and see Star Trek, though I have no idea when it's being shown here The ODEON site should tell me). Hopefully next week, because I think Wikipedia said May? I'm not a Star Trek fan, though I did enjoy the last movie (Nemesis I think?) because there was another being like Data and then Data was killed (somewhere like 20 minutes to the end) and Picard I think had to tell the being whom appeared like Data about the Data who he knew. That movie prompted me to watch episodes of TNG, though that was way back in 2003 on whatever U.S. cable channel showed it at like 4 or 5pm daily (TNN/Spike?).

But anyway, I'm watching this if it's too entertaining or not. I want to see it for what it is, not for what the fans think it should be. From what I see, my final decision will be made on the overall of the movie. I think there is a possibility of me not liking it, but if I fall asleep when I go to watch it during the daytime it will mean only one thing... It bored me. lol

Though speculations of a movie boring me, will only come after I've actually seen it. This will be the fourth movie of the year I will watch, I previously watched Watchmen and Fast and Furious. Which I fell asleep during both, I fall asleep during many movies though there is the odd occasion I can stay awake. Hopefully tomorrow during Wolverine, I will stay awake. It's the third movie I will see this year, but the first alone (which is kinda sad being single again - lol).

Eviltaco64
May 6th, 2009, 23:40
I think it's pretty ridiculous that major sci fi franchises (and the Sci-Fi channel) are trying to "rebrand" and become "more mainstream". I mean, come on, it's science fiction! :p

Darksaviour69
May 6th, 2009, 23:51
DS9>THG>Voyager>Enterprise>The original

DS9 rocked with its cock out, it was that awesome.

btw Babylon 5 was awesome too

As for the movie, was never a fan of the original series, don't think I will watch it in the cinema, might on dvd or download