PDA

View Full Version : PSP gets PSone emulator

wraggster
March 15th, 2006, 16:39
More on the breaking News this time from Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=63263):

PSP will see a worldwide price cut this month. From March 22nd, European gamers will be able to buy a "base unit" (presumably devoid of stuff like the headphones) for 199 Euro (about £140).

US gamers will pay $199 from the end of the month, and the Japanese will pay 19,800 yen for a white unit from April 15th.

During a press conference in Tokyo today, Sony boss Ken Kutaragi also talked about the company's plans to add a PSone emulator to PSP, with "selected games" available through digital distribution to be stored on the Memory Stick. (Cynics amongst you might question the use of the word "add", but there you go.)

Although timing on that has yet to be confirmed, Kutaragi was more specific about other new services - including an EyeToy camera peripheral to attach to the USB port, which launches in September, and video voice-over-IP (in other words, video-telephony), which will be available in October. Pricing on all of that's yet to be announced.

Kutaragi also discussed some of Sony's plans for updating PSP software this year, starting with network update to add Macromedia Flash support this, er, spring (touch wood, eh?), with extended RSS channel support also on the way to allow users to save radio content (podcasts, presumably) and movies.

There was no word on previously rumoured services and hardware iterations - for example, we know no more about "Sony Mail" or the rumoured PSP with built-in hard disk - but there was news on the GPS receiver mentioned at E3 last year. It will launch this autumn and have a role in games, starting with Hot Shots Golf.

An interesting year in prospect for PSP hardware, then, although - as with PS3 - there are still plenty of gaps to be filled in, presumably at this year's E3.

so_cal_forever
March 15th, 2006, 16:41
Please, tell me this is finally my time to play Final Fantasy Tactics on my PSP...

yamaneko
March 15th, 2006, 18:09
Its means i will play Silent Hill in a bus ?

Wysiwyg
March 15th, 2006, 19:31
Finally there is hope to play some classic Metal Gear :D

kcc86
March 15th, 2006, 20:03
I'm glad Sony decided to go with a ps1 emulator. pretty sweet, cant wait.

urherenow
March 15th, 2006, 22:30
Finally there is hope to play some classic Metal Gear :D

ermmm... CLASSIC metal gear can already be played via NesterJ :D

jangosolo
March 15th, 2006, 23:47
I can imagine it will require a firmware upgrade....

IndianCheese
March 16th, 2006, 02:07
I can imagine it will require a firmware upgrade....

No crap. But who cares--homebrew isn't everything. I see it as a "filler" for what to do until GOOD updates, like this one, come out. If Sony can provide a program that is the same as a homebrew program but outdoes it (i.e. Flash) then I am in. Sony can also do things we have no way of doing. I'd like to see someone code a LocationFree Player.

During a press conference in Tokyo today, Sony boss Ken Kutaragi also talked about the company's plans to add a PSone emulator to PSP, with "selected games" available through digital distribution to be stored on the Memory Stick.

If you look at QJ.net, it also states a PS2 emulator. I could see the ps1/ps2 greatest hits titles burning the net at a price of $10-$20. Oh yeah. I'd love to play Spyro, Sly, or Crash anywhere. And I'd update. This time no lie. (Only if they give full ActionScript support for Flash so I could play games! Hmmm...Do you think the Flash Player would be Macromedia/Adobe-constructed or Sony-constructed? I could see Sony attempting to build their own, being that they are so cheap and money-hungry. But why do they give us updates for free? Maybe to convince people to buy PSP's. That new price drop would do the job too...Sorry, I'll stop ranting.)

Privateer
March 16th, 2006, 02:33
They make updates to discourage hackers and encourage buyers, because hackers tend to use emulators, and emulators are one less reason to buy a retail PSP game. :0

ryan2006
March 16th, 2006, 03:28
mmm if ff7 mgs resident evil series are playable ill upgrade in a heart beat i wood even pay for thm wood be nice if the 1s you own u didnt have 2 pay for and a ps2 emu interesting obv the games wood be limited but ffx wood be great :p

jman420
March 16th, 2006, 03:38
mmm if ff7 mgs resident evil series are playable ill upgrade in a heart beat i wood even pay for thm wood be nice if the 1s you own u didnt have 2 pay for and a ps2 emu interesting obv the games wood be limited but ffx wood be great :p

Would you care to explain why you have no form of grammar???? Or are you just to retarded to spell out words without abbreveating them??? Oh well..

Yes I aggree fully, there are a great many PS1 games that will be worth playing on PSP.. The only issue I can think of is, Sony wont just make the free, I guarntee that each game will be at least $5-$10 bucks.. I dont see how sony could let people play PS1 games for free..

Either way.. it would be worth buying a new PSP, unless of course Sony will let you use emulators and homebrew.. In which case, then I'm upgrading, otherwise I'm just going to buy a new PSP for Resedent Evil 2, FF8 and 9.. And all the other awesome PS1 games :D

Festizzio
March 16th, 2006, 04:02
If I had Final Fantasy VII, X, and Kingdom Hearts I would be the happiest man in the world! :D

ryan2006
March 16th, 2006, 04:09
jman420] would you care to explain why you have no form of grammar???? Or are you just to retarded to spell out words without abbreveating them??? Oh well..

because i cant be bothered to spell right im a retard ??? since wen did this change from psp forums to english class? :eek:

aphonia
March 16th, 2006, 04:29
Sony is arrogant, and ignores its consumers, but:
This month's releases (Pursuit Force, Mega Man, Syphon Filter, Daxter, MGA2, Splinter Cell, Katamari),
Macromedia flash support (homebrew= a 480x272 flash game),
Universal online support
A PS1 emulator

I'm giving up my portable NES/GEN/SNES and updating. Sure they'll charge for PS1 games, but it's worth it, unless you're just a theif. If they don't allow free use of games you own, it's still okay. You have the right to a backup copy, not the right to play it on their special emulator.

Or are you just to retarded to spell
u tok hm too skol dood! hoo cars bout livng n a glass hous ne1 can thro stons.
FTW!

RedKing14CA
March 16th, 2006, 04:35
too bad all of the games will be $50

and yes... finally metal gear and final fantasy.....

bet sony fears the n64 emu... just like they feared the n64 when they had the ps1 out... mwahahahahahaa

so_cal_forever
March 16th, 2006, 04:35
I'm hoping what they'll do is what Nintendo is considering for the revolution. Either pay for each game seperatly or purchase a subscription for all-out access. Personally, I'd go for the latter, but Sony will probably go for the first. Oh well, if they're priced reasonably, it wont be so bad.

Another thing I hope is that they'll compress the game images to fit on memory cards easier. Aditionally, they could add some filtering or something similar to make the games look better.

I'm anxiously awaiting details, especially details to see if Square Enix will be allowing their games to be part of this service.

Valiant
March 16th, 2006, 04:42
If I can play Silent Hill 1/2/3/4 on my psp...they seriously won me over big time. Good bye to homebrew then (that is what the GP2X is for eh?...unless someone else manages a code to get the psx emu running...*waits for pacmanfan*)

Shannon
March 16th, 2006, 06:24
psone emu for my PSP....

Very tempting to go to the dark side..

Voltron
March 16th, 2006, 20:03
I long for a day when 2.60 required games can be played on 1.5 Firmware PSP's.

r2works
March 16th, 2006, 20:36
what ever happened to the homebrew PSX that was being made?

swepisodeii
March 17th, 2006, 00:27
This is genius because it means Sony is actually responding to all the emulation that already going on with the PSP. Homebrew and old school games might not be up to par with GTA:LCS, there's a lot of play time left in that vast collection of old school games. Compare that to $40-$50 for new PSP titles and Sony has some stiff competition.

So here I am on 2.0 (don't own GTA yet), which means that any new PSP titles released (From Russia with Love, Exit, King King, the upcoming classic trilogy LEGO Star Wars) won't work on my system. Right now I'm fine with that since there's a decent library of pre-2.0 games that I have yet to play including Star Wars Battlefront II, Lumines, Wipeout Pure, Burnout Legends, SOCOM, Ridge Racer, GTA:LCS and Tony Hawk (just got my PSP for Christmas and been busy with hombrew/emulators).

OK, so I'm fine with 2.0 because my options are still pretty open. And I have to admit to having hopes of playing Goldeneye on my PSP with PSmonkey's N64 emulator some day.

So Sony has to compete with all the current emulators and potential N64 emulation. (And I think N64 games rival new PSP games anyways). Adding REASONABLY PRICED PSone game downloads and Flash capability might just be enough to make me upgrade. As cool as they are, I find myself playing very few old school games from beginning to end or for any length of time. Instead it's like that first time you loaded up your iPod, and you went from song to song playing 10 seconds of each song.

Sony also has to compete with the Nintendo DS Lite. One of the big complaints about the PSP is the lack of games. I don't have that complaint. My complaint is that I can't afford the games that are out there. DS games are $10 - $15 less than their PSP counterparts, and backwards compatibility with GBAdvance means a huge catalog of LEGAL games for Nintendo DS owners. I still have a GBAdvance to play GBA games, but still, I guess it's nice to be able to play them all on one system.

So Sony has to do something that will give the PSP an advantage against the DS in the GAMES department while enticing current users to give up Sonic and Mario emulation on the PSP.

I can totally see upgrading my firmware for the ability to download PSone games for a REASONABLE PRICE. What's reasonable? I'd say $5 or so would be fair. You'll pay less than that on eBay for a PSone game, and anything more than that may keep me from upgrading. Here's a few PS1 games (or game series) I'd like to see available on the PSP -

GTA2 (gotta love that 2D GTA!)
Tony Hawk
Jet Moto
Cool Boarders
Gran Turismo
Tekken
Ridge Racer
Driver 2
a few puzzle games
Resident Evil
Tomb Raider
a couple of Star Wars titles
Syphon Filter
Wipeout

And official Flash support would be better than a hacked version of it. I've never been huge on playing flash games on the computer but I can see it being pretty cool on the go.

One other thought on this is that many of the best PSP games have already been redone for the PSP at PSP prices. A lot of the games on my list for example. If Sony does price these games at $5 it will either force developers of new PSP games to get serious about innovative game design or abandon the system altogether. Interesting times!

slickpick
April 4th, 2006, 22:32
Playstation 1 on the psp would be great... even if it did require a filmware update.

Heres the Playstation games I will put on my psp when the ps1 emulator is released:

Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid VR missions
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Tekken