PDA

View Full Version : PSP to get EyeToy, GPS, video chat - and PSone downloadable titles

wraggster
March 15th, 2006, 17:02
Another news article (yeah some stuff is being repeated but hey its a big news day) this time from Gamesindustry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=15358):

Sony has a host of updates to the PlayStation Portable planned over the coming months, with an EyeToy camera, a video and voice chat service, a GPS receiver and the ability to download and play a range of PSone games all on the way.

The updates were announced at the firm's PlayStation business briefing this morning, and indicate Sony's commitment to turning the PSP into a de facto portable network access device as well as an entertainment device.

The EyeToy camera, which is silver and will connect to the console's USB port, will be launched in September along with an EyeToy Play title and video chat system, while free video and voice-over-IP services will appear in October.

The GPS system, meanwhile, will be supported by games as well as by standard global positioning applications - with a new Everybody's Golf title set to be one of the launch titles for the GPS peripheral.

One of the most intriguing updates to the system, however, comes in the form of a new digital distribution service which Sony is planning, which will allow users to download games and applications directly to their memory cards.

An early use of the system will be to distribute a range of classic PSone games, which will be playable on the PlayStation Portable. No details have yet been announced regarding which games will appear in the range, and whether they will need to be extensively re-coded to appear on the system.

Finally, at the more minor end of the spectrum, Sony has also announced that it intends to launch a firmware update for the PSP in the near future which will introduce Macromedia Flash compatibility to the web browser used in the device.

nightcrawler420
March 15th, 2006, 21:36
It sounds great but i will update if i can still play my snes, nes & dgen on my psp!!
But I do like the fact that you can play ps1 games on it but not enough to update when we have pac man fan working on the same thing and just maybe sony will allow homebrew on the psp and block the running of iso's would be wonderfull

jman420
March 16th, 2006, 00:05
Thats the thing.. apperently Sony just isnt smart enough to realize that its just not that hard to block out ISO loading.. it would be more the simple to create a blocker for any files larger then 300mb to go on the MemoryStick, with an exception for movies.. its very simple, movies all have special headers that tell the system what format, size, Frames Per Second, length.. it just wouldnt be that hard to block out large files, but allow the files that have these headers.. but we would still have our homebrew and emulators.. as long as nobody has a 500mb SNES rom.. :P

MaxSMoke
March 16th, 2006, 05:24
All of those PSP updates sound cool, if they happen. So far, the best PSP peripheral, actually the only one, has been a simple microphone (something the DS has builtin). Even the PSP Keyboard, which is actually getting to be pretty important with the Web-browser and E-mail access, has been scrapped. And it's not like Sony hasn't failed to come through on promises before (Spring 2006 PS3 launch?). They can promise the world, but so far they aren't even delivering a small island.

As for Homebrew, I really wish some people here would GET A CLUE. Sony doesn't care if it's an ISO Loader, a Wifi Sniffer, or even something as cool and harmless as PSP Radio, it's all the same to them! They don't want Unauthorized 3rd Part Development! SONY HATES HOMEBREW.

I wrote a hand-written letter to Sony asking them to embrace Homebrew. I told them all about how Homebrew renewed my interested in the PSP, all of the software I've purchased since then, and how much Homebrew has enhanced my PSP's value and usefulness. But the only thing I got back for my 3 page impassionate plea was a Form Letter about Viruses and Hardware damage! Homebrew isn't a dried up turd on a desert road to Sony. They don't care if it's Emulators, a Pocket Calculator, or a clone of Pacman! THEY DON'T WANT HOMEBREW TO EXIST! EVER.

The only thing Homebrew has done, and you can see this clearly in this press release, is to shame Sony into realizing that the PSP has alot of under utilized potential that THEY should be doing something with. Just look at that list! Support for old PS1 games (Emulator)! Support for GPS (just like the Homebrew GPS Project)! I bet even that Eye-Toy thing was somehow inspired by Homebrew. Sony wants you, the general public, to *THINK* they might do these things, so they can get you to upgrade your PSP's and eliminate Homebrew, Once and for ALL!

Make no mistake, this is an all out WAR on Homebrew. They don't see Homebrew as a great benefit to the PSP, they see it as a plague that must be wiped out. Just look at the new upcoming Firmware, it's got Flash support! Just weeks after the first Flash player for Homebrew was released! If a Sony Rep comes to this website, it's only to spy on what they need to eliminate next.

rbervoets
March 16th, 2006, 08:01
What is a GPS reciever

SoQb0nc5r
March 16th, 2006, 15:08
sat nav

Cap'n 1time
March 16th, 2006, 20:35
GPS = Global Positioning System
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gps

rbervoets
March 18th, 2006, 08:15
I bet you need some sort of UMD to go with that GPS Resiever and i bet its not cheap