PDA

View Full Version : Activision: Current console cycle has legs

wraggster
May 8th, 2009, 16:15
Activision CEO Bobby Kotick has said that the company's not anticipating a new console generation "any time soon".

"As far as the consoles themselves... I think that there's a lot of runway for all of these devices," he said during Activision's quarterly earnings call.

"I think that we've got a long way to go before you get to price points that truly take advantage of all of this hardware," added Kotick (pictured in extreme close-up, below), according to Seeking Alpha.

"I think from a geography standpoint, we still have a long way to go before these products have really penetrated every single geography, so we don't really anticipate there are going to be material changes to the console landscape any time soon."

EA CEO John Riccitiello made similar remarks recently, saying that the publisher's expecting a "very extended" console cycle, while Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter agrees too.

Ubisoft's not so sure, however, with boss man Yves Guillemot saying that the company's preparing for the launch of new hardware "in the next few years"

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=214579

fpcreator2000
May 8th, 2009, 19:27
Let's not forget that the economy is not in a position for these console manufacturers to be releasing any new consoles anytime soon. Think again if they expect people to pull out $500 for a console in this current economy.