PDA

View Full Version : Why Doesn't Balancing Barn Home Fall On That Little Girl?

wraggster
May 9th, 2009, 09:32
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2009/05/Balancing_Barn_1.jpg

I don't want it to fall on her, but I don't understand how this Balancing Barn building is gonna work, if 50% of it hangs over a slope, in "free space."

Modern country houses are crazy, because since Frank Lloyd Wright built that house over that waterfall, everyone and their mom has wanted to do radical new things to meld new structures with the grass, trees, hills and streams that were here eons before we walked upright.

Commissioned by a group called Living Architecture, the Dutch firm of MVRDV, with the British firm Mole Architects, came up with this 30-meter-long baby, half of which does not sit on anything. Here's all I could get from the description at Dezeen:

At the midpoint it starts to cantilever over the descending slope; a balancing act made possible by the rigid structure of the building; resulting in 50% of the barn being in free space, and giving a wide view over the Suffolk landscape, adjacent lake and surrounding gardens.
But still, if you and all your drunk friends decided to go to the end and jump up and down, wouldn't that house tip over, and hurt the girl and the sheep who idle and graze nearby? If no, then why not? I'm gonna guess the answer has something to do with long steel beams stuck down deep in the earth at the non-floating end. Then I'm gonna walk away, and try not to think about that poor little girl.

http://gizmodo.com/5246324/why-doesnt-balancing-barn-home-fall-on-that-little-girl

mcdougall57
May 10th, 2009, 00:40
Architecture? Bit off topic for DCemu isn't it?

Failedartifact
May 10th, 2009, 13:02
Just slightly I think. Its a weird post.. But its got computer graphics!!! could this be a NEW PS3 GAME? PS3 HOME?

Eviltaco64
May 10th, 2009, 18:08
My guess is they have it slightly tilted and the other 50% of the house on land would be a little heavier.

Or the architects could've been incredibly stupid and designed a house that's only halfway on a hill. :p