PDA

View Full Version : What Games Have Aged The Best?

wraggster
May 9th, 2009, 09:34
This is Tell Us Dammit, no, make that TELL US DAMMIT. Here's how it works: We ask a question, you answer it. Simple and no strings attached! This isn't some marketing survey or whatever. It's an emotional investment in you. Yes, we're interested in knowing you, reader person.

You probably know oodles about us - more than you even want to, we're sure. But, hey, we'd like to know about you. That way you won't be some faceless blob - and we might feel a tinge of guilt when we ban ya. Or not, because really we're incapable of human emotion.

So, our question is:

All games age, but which games have aged the best? Tell us your top three. Dammit.

http://kotaku.com/5246401/what-games-have-aged-the-best

brandonheat8
May 9th, 2009, 12:06
super mario world( pretty much any mario before or after world but stopping at mario 64) the megaman franchise not counting battle network and the 3D ones. Contra series. Street fighter series. Sonic series up to sonic adventure 2. metroid series( I actually went back recently and beat all of them excluding prime 2 and prime 3, dont have those) thats all i can think of at this time.

gammern
May 9th, 2009, 12:35
I would say Half-life. It still delivers after 11 years. I would also like to mention the Lucasfilm point-and-click adventure games like Monkey Island, Zak McKraken, Maniac Mansion and Indiana Jones.

apex05
May 9th, 2009, 14:21
Just going by what i play most it's Super Mario 3, Street Fighter 2 and Super Mario Kart and i have to say overall Nintendo games have by far the longest replayability.

Veskgar
May 9th, 2009, 17:04
Right away Super Mario World came to mind... But also, The Legend of Zelda! I still like to play the original NES game and the SNES Link to the Past.

mike_jmg
May 9th, 2009, 17:32
If this is about the old clasic games and their replayability and not the evolution of their iterations.

I'd say not too long ago I was re-engaged into playing pokemon, but the clasics I play the most: Marvel VS Capcom, Fzero and yoshi's Island

beetroot bertie
May 9th, 2009, 17:52
Tetris is one that springs to mind. Basic graphics, even at the time it came out but that timeless gameplay.

I think Worms falls into that bracket too and I find 2D shooters still enjoyable today (R-Type on Amiga was ace and I'd imagine I'd still enjoy Super Cars 2 if I could play it again).

I find 2D games age pretty well, certainly from a visual point of view whilst early 3D stuff tends to look so bad now. Some of it still plays pretty well but the visuals really put me off. The 2D stuff seems more timeless to me, but I grew up through the 8 and 16 bit era so I tend to look more favourably on the game from that time.

I guess if I had to pick 3:

1. Tetris
2. Worms
3. Not sure about a 3rd but will go for Soul Calibur on Dreamcast (unless it's not old enough). Still plays well and doesn't look too shabby. If you want something older then sure, Super Mario World is a great example.

WhizzBang
May 9th, 2009, 19:10
I second Tetris. I can still imagine people enjoying Tetris in 100 years time, but can't think of any other games I can say this about.

My top 3 would be

Tetris
Donkey Kong Country
Yoshis Island

kris threat
May 9th, 2009, 20:57
Fallout 1 and 2. Those games never get old to me.

ICE
May 9th, 2009, 21:23
If no one had heard of Mario and Super Mario World came out for DS or something similar it would be huge.

goshogun1
May 9th, 2009, 22:43
Well I know what hasn't aged well IMO. PS1 and Sega Saturn 3D. I never realized how much better older 2D has aged compared to older 3D.

ian h
May 9th, 2009, 23:06
you cant pick only 3, maybe 5 to 10. my 5 would be tetris, super mario world, donkey kong country, super metroid and loz link to the past

jamotto
May 9th, 2009, 23:41
shmups like Gradius, R-type, Raiden and Gekioh Shooting King also any game with a minimalistic design like Out of This World, Flashback and Super Mario Brothers and last but not least the entire Interactive Fiction genre.

mcdougall57
May 10th, 2009, 00:38
Yoshi's story for me.

Qmark
May 10th, 2009, 01:01
Tetris is one that springs to mind. Basic graphics, even at the time it came out but that timeless gameplay.Tetris was technologically obsolete when Alexy gave it to the world in 1985.

In the end, history will show that the only meaningful result of the entire span of the Soviet Union is exactly Tetris.

juiceface
May 10th, 2009, 01:55
the final fantasy series

FireStag
May 10th, 2009, 23:00
Castlevania Games excluding the 3d ones... those all suck.

Emulation_Chief
May 11th, 2009, 03:21
Hello:

I think very few games actually become as good or better as the original ones. My best guess at this question are the following:

1. Super Mario Bros.
2. Ninja Gaiden
3. Metal Gear

havoc_012
May 11th, 2009, 04:50
What ages well:
Most of the classic 16 bit games

What hasn't stood the test of time:
Early 3D games (with some obvious exceptions)

Justise
May 11th, 2009, 08:25
I'll say King of Fighters. Even the most recent ones look like they are at least 10 years old anyway.

geise69
May 11th, 2009, 13:36
I agree with most on Tetris and Super Mario World. Others that I personally feel have aged well are:
Sonic 1
Lords of Thunder (Turbo Duo/PC-Engine)
Dracula-X (PC-Engine)
Astal (SS)
Guardian Heroes (SS)
Actraiser (SNES)

Graxer0419
May 12th, 2009, 12:08
For me it would have to be Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Zelda: Majora's Mask. Many old games these days feel way too simple, but those two games are amazingly complex even nowadays.

Also Worms Armageddon is still fun after all these years. Even now, just plaing Worms Armageddon with new features would feel like a modern game. It is a shame that Worms Armageddon Decades that is coming on XBLA isnt really Worms Armageddon.

The first two Broken Sword games are amazing too, they are exactly what a point and click adventure should be nowadays.

EDIT: 100th Post :D