PDA

View Full Version : BaNNeRBoMB Released - New Exploit for Wii

wraggster
May 10th, 2009, 01:27
A new wii exploit has been released by Comex (http://bannerbomb.qoid.us/) that supposedly works on any version of the Wii (Menu) from 3.x-4.0 :

Details from Wiibrew (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/BaNNeRBoMB)

The exploit dubbed as BannerBomb created by Comex is the only public way to load homebrew applications on a System Menu 4.0 wii. The exploit was released on the 5th April 2009 through the IRC Channel #Wiidev. The exploit works by using a malformed banner to crash the wii loading the boot.dol placed in the root of the SD card. Currently this exploit does not allow the Homebrew channel to be installed due to the exploit that was used being blocked in 4.0.

Step by Step
Ensure your SD card is formatted as FAT. By default SD cards are formatted as FAT, so if you're not sure you can skip this step.
(Optional) Backup the "Private" folder on your SD card or rename it temporarily.
Copy the Bannerbomb "Private" folder to your SD Card.
Start the Wii, enter Settings, Data Management, Channels then SD Card. (NOT THE SD CARD MENU!)
A message should appear asking to load "Boot.dol" If not, try again with a different version.
Have fun!
FAQ
Does this work with the new v4.0 System Menu update?
Yes.
Can it load files from the internal SD slot?
Yes.
Can I load GameCube homebrew with this?
Not directly. Though you can use the Wii Gamecube Homebrew Launcher once you've got your Wii ready for homebrew.
What about if I use doltool or dol2elf?
No. These tools merely change the container file format, it does not convert between GameCube/Wii code.
What will happen to our current saves/channels?
You can back them up.

bannerbomb alpha
compatible (in theory) with 3.x-4.0
Get a SD card. If it has a private directory, rename it temporarily, e.g. to "privateold". Having other saved channels on the same card will screw it up.
Download aad1f_v102.zip and unzip it onto the SD card.
Get a DOL or ELF and put it on the SD as /boot.dol or /boot.elf.
Press (Wii), Data Management, Channels, SD. Then insert the card. It should either pop up Load /boot.dol? or freeze.
If it pops up a dialog, then fill out the survey.
If it freezes, follow these diagnostics:
Did you use the SD menu (4.0) or click Savedata instead of Channels? If so, then you're dumb
Otherwise, try a different version. The system menu is somewhat unpredictable; while most people should be able to use version i don't know yet, some might need another version. Try these versions: aad20_v102.zip
aad22_v102.zip
aad1e_v102.zip
aad26_v102.zip
...others?

survey FILL THIS OUT PLX
which version works for you?

Bugs:

If it gives you the dialog but freezes instead of loading the dol, email me[ comexk at gmail dot com]. Tell me where it froze and whether or not the slot light is on. You might also try removing the disc.
If you press "no" when it asks you whether you want to load a dol then it might freeze.
It is possible to press the back button "under" the dialog. Make sure you don't do that.
FAQ:

You can't actually install the homebrew channel or anything-- the bootmii installer will be able to do that soon, I hope. for god's sake don't use downgrade guides they're made of fail
There isn't a "4.0 version" or a "3.2 version"-- you should use aad1f.zip no matter what version of the menu you have. Try the other versions only if aad1f doesn't work.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Phelps
May 10th, 2009, 05:11
Article is no longer on Wiibrew.

djdynamite123
May 10th, 2009, 18:02
guess i was right :D

eoesf1cj122
May 10th, 2009, 18:48
does this allow me to use all the apps? like homebrew browser?

djdynamite123
May 10th, 2009, 19:09
does this allow me to use all the apps? like homebrew browser?
yep, just cannot install HBC.

eoesf1cj122
May 10th, 2009, 19:33
ok im a noob what exactly does hbb do bc it says it installed but how do i get to it?

djdynamite123
May 10th, 2009, 20:37
ok im a noob what exactly does hbb do bc it says it installed but how do i get to it?
wtf? read wiibrew!!!

XDelusion
May 11th, 2009, 03:13
What does WiiBrew have to say about this? Either I'm going to the wrong page or it mentions nothing of this.

Anyhow as soon as my Wii gets back from Nintendo I'll give this a go...

...assuming they are going to lock me out.

XDelusion
May 13th, 2009, 04:49
Nintendo came back, but it is not the latest firmware so I am not going to experiment with this after all considering it's current limitations. Sorry, was going to be a test monkey, but I want my homebrew. :)

djdynamite123
May 13th, 2009, 07:58
eh you can test Homebrew.

carlitx
May 13th, 2009, 14:52
I guess this is some pretty good news :)

But I would love to have HBC... I am sure now that this is finally released it is only a matter of time before it can be installed :)

EDIT Got it working with Alarmi so far. Is there a way to put more then one .dol file on the SD card to have a selection?

EDIT 2: For virgin 4.0 users use this guide http://yafaze.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=113 I have just completed it and now have the Homebrew Channel installed. Only those with serials that start with LU64 can not use this. I have one that starts with LU65. Lucky me :)

pipemetralla
May 18th, 2009, 10:04
works 100% whit my 4.0 wii

ubuntux
May 29th, 2009, 02:52
I guess this is some pretty good news :)

But I would love to have HBC... I am sure now that this is finally released it is only a matter of time before it can be installed :)

EDIT Got it working with Alarmi so far. Is there a way to put more then one .dol file on the SD card to have a selection?

EDIT 2: For virgin 4.0 users use this guide http://yafaze.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=113 I have just completed it and now have the Homebrew Channel installed. Only those with serials that start with LU64 can not use this. I have one that starts with LU65. Lucky me :)

How did you softmod your wii , the guid esays it does not work with lu64 +, I have the LU65 and cannot get it to work using that guide.
Please let me know what you did.
Thanks

ubuntux
May 29th, 2009, 02:53
How did you softmod your wii , the guid esays it does not work with lu64 +, I have the LU65 and cannot get it to work using that guide.
Please let me know what you did.
Thanks

I freeze on the step where I load the IOS35.wad, my controller just turns off and I have to hard reset my wii.
Thanks