PDA

View Full Version : Texture Update !! (News Mar 15th)

PSmonkey
March 16th, 2006, 04:05
Days of development and all I got was a lousy t-shirt. :rolleyes:
just kidding.

Ok well i've been busy over the last few days. Textures are much more difficult then I had thought. Anyways today I am starting to make progress. I am now getting some structure in place (there are alot of cases to handle). Anyways while things are far from perfect they are off to a good start. Below you will find screenshots from Bust A Move 2 Intro & Mortal Kombat Mythologies Item Screen. Hopefuly I can get things looking more correctly soon.

P.S., The date at the top is so people know which topic is the latest vs going into old topics since they were bumped. :confused:

DPyro
March 16th, 2006, 04:09
Nice progress :)

RedKing14CA
March 16th, 2006, 04:11
I guess we're gonna worry about buttons later, eh?

good progress! actually, GREAT progress!

Psycho77
March 16th, 2006, 04:12
Really cool !

glitch
March 16th, 2006, 04:20
I WANT a FULL blown 3D Mario 64 right NOW d@mn it!!! j/k lol excellent work, keep it up.

oh yea I think I must have messed the area of which ever thread that addressed the mbit limit file size of roms? And why sizes over a certain mbit won't work?....actually I think I might know the answer now since I think about it... is it because it is running in user mode atm and not kernel? ah I dunno....

DPyro
March 16th, 2006, 04:23
He only has a certain amount of RAM for ROMs to load in, since M64 uses some RAM to load plus some memory is reserved for something else.

glitch
March 16th, 2006, 04:28
I was thinking though someone said like roms that are 256mbit will not run? Surely the psp has more than 32mbs of ram? I'd imagine it having 64mbs......?

Sonicadvance1
March 16th, 2006, 04:29
Very Nice.Hope Textures get finished up for ya soon. Don't want one problem hanging you up for a long time ;)

kyle2194
March 16th, 2006, 04:36
I was thinking though someone said like roms that are 256mbit will not run? Surely the psp has more than 32mbs of ram? I'd imagine it having 64mbs......?
An xbox has 64 megs of ram, so i wouldnt count on it.

glitch
March 16th, 2006, 04:40
umm.....yea just looked it up on google we are stuck with 32mb -.- tis sad, sin and punishment is somewhere like 20-26mbs I think oo.

PSmonkey
March 16th, 2006, 04:41

PSP has 32MB of main ram period. About 8MB is lost to the Kernal. So an app has about 24MB to work with. 4MB of that 24MB is taken up by the n64 DRam (main ram). Another 2 megs are lost to buffers, registers and other memory chunks (DMEM/IMEM). So I only have enough space to store a 16MB rom. Zelda is 32MB and would not even fit from the start.

I answered this in the other topic for you.

glitch
March 16th, 2006, 04:56
if it was just possible to extract the data in the n64 roms so that only the necassary files load into the ram then it would probably work......

hmmm...... would any of these tools allow you to disassemble a n64 rom and then via your emulator would you be able to actually execute the parts and load just the correct files into the ram at the right time and unload files as they are no longer being used in the ram?

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/n64dev.html

I also supose there would be no way of compressing the files highly since it will probably be decompressed before the emu tries executing it? yep short of soldering on an extra 32mb chip, guess we're screwed when it comes to some games?

PSmonkey
March 16th, 2006, 05:03
if it was just possible to extract the data in the n64 roms so that only the necassary files load into the ram then it would probably work......

hmmm...... would any of these tools allow you to disassemble a n64 rom and then via your emulator would you be able to actually execute the parts and load just the correct files into the ram at the right time and unload files as they are no longer being used in the ram?

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/n64dev.html

I also supose there would be no way of compressing the files highly since it will probably be decompressed before the emu tries executing it? yep short of soldering on an extra 32mb chip, guess we're screwed when it comes to some games?

We are not screwed just people have to give me time to figure it all out. I have some ideas but I need to do other stuff first before caring (we cant even run mario yet). Anyways the link you gave does not have anything useful. :)

BrooksyX
March 16th, 2006, 05:23
I think psmonkey should just plan on getting the emulator running commerial roms at goods speeds, then he could worry about the size issue. Even if the size issue isnt taken care of, monkey64 would be one of the greatest achievments on the psp so far.

--  #5 --
-- Claimed by michael chan --

Shilo
March 16th, 2006, 05:24
WOW! In just a week it goes from squares to glitched up pics :)!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats some fast progress:), and PSmonkey you'll figure out something with the rom file sizes being larger than the PSPs memory:) Good work! If monkey64 progessed that far in just one week I bet (not really a bet cuz I just spent my last $10 to put Super Princess Peach and Mario & Luigi: Partners in time on Layaway at Wal-Mart :), I really need a job, but I can't get one until I get my licesnes, btw I'm 15 and don't have my learners yet, not till July:)) that in 2 weeks max, PSmonkey will have Super Mario 64, Bust a Move 2, and/or one of the Mortal Kombat games with fully working textures:) and maybe more!

Infernux
March 16th, 2006, 05:34
just a thought, since we are talking about size, might i suggest http://www.bzip.org/

compress the roms to a .bz2 and have the emulator stream the rom's parts when they need it, kinda like higher level emulation. Its probably not do able, would most likely take up too much of the psp's memory. But i have seen 40mb files compressed to 18 mb files using this program. There may still be hope for zelda or sin and punishment ;).

And nice work PSmonkey, i can't wait till its working

glitch
March 16th, 2006, 06:26
....suck up.... wasn't PSmonkeys original s/n Infernix2600...I think it was lol. j/k

yea bzip does some wicked compressions, specailly for psx iso's. I have used it for my pda so I can run some psx games. My pda btw runs at 400mhz so yea psx can be fully playable from what I can tell from playing games such as twisted metal 1-4 on my pda at playable framerates. And that is just raw cpu, no gpu on pda's to speak of really. And I can't forget pepsi-man that is a really fun psx game.... just wish it had save state....

But also data on psx games normally are not compress or compressed much before hand, due to the huge 700mb that had back in the day storage on that console was a non issue......well ok FF is the exception. But for the most part that is way psx iso's can compress so well, especailly the gameshark iso, it has a huge dummy file, uncompressed iso is like 400mb and compressed iso is like 4mb seriously.

And it is quite amazing at how much the n64 devs were able to compress things, I mean a game of mario 64's calliber on the psx would not have been anywhere close to 16mb or even 100mb, I think we'd be looking at 400mb if not more. I mean a game with crappy textures and pixellated characters(aka dbz legends) on the psx took up over 200mbs.

sorry PSmonkey, that I got your Texture thread off topic bout all this compressing stuff, but we are obviously grateful for the update and so fast, I just can't wait til the weekend =) and the week after that. And I completely understand that is too early to give it much thought at this point, but yea everyone is just excited to see what this will bring us in the future. Honestly I think we all wish we could actually contribute something to your quest of coding, and I just wish I would have taken the time to learn programming during my school years, that is one thing on my list to do while going to college however, maybe in a year or so things will be different and I might be able to do something useful. Just right now I am getting me some basics at a local college, the instructors are idiots -.- if I took any technical classes from them I dunno what I'd do, yea I'd definitely learn it but they wouldn't be of much help.

crazy_biker420
March 16th, 2006, 06:49
you would need another method of loading

FIRE
March 16th, 2006, 09:36
bla bla bla... but we will never play in MARIO 64 or MARIO KART ;( (in minimum 30fps) błee;/

disturbed19
March 16th, 2006, 09:41
This is Awesome news psmonkey!!

i check ur site everyday to see how the progress is going and im very impressed. i have 2 questions though. 1.can u give a rough estimate of when ur next release would be?

2.wat are your goals for the next release.(im sure everyone is dieing to know) :D

Wally
March 16th, 2006, 09:44
I like EGA graphics :D

Wally
March 16th, 2006, 09:48
just a thought, since we are talking about size, might i suggest http://www.bzip.org/

compress the roms to a .bz2 and have the emulator stream the rom's parts when they need it, kinda like higher level emulation. Its probably not do able, would most likely take up too much of the psp's memory. But i have seen 40mb files compressed to 18 mb files using this program. There may still be hope for zelda or sin and punishment ;).

And nice work PSmonkey, i can't wait till its working

The Zipped files wont make any difference except take up less space on your memory stick.

The Zipped method also takes up RAM which would not make anything better.

Also wouldnt you think it would have to unzip the rom first? :rolleyes:

StealthCP
March 16th, 2006, 11:01
Yes. But it usually unzips to the memory stick. This would only be effective if there was room on the memory stick. PSMonkey has enough to worry about. I would prefer that we can actually see, hear and interact with the emulated games b4 we decide to run bigger ones. Everything else should be disregarded until the emulator is at a stage where games will be playable.

yamaneko
March 16th, 2006, 11:24
you is good.

DarkPSP
March 16th, 2006, 12:09
Nice work, you have made a lot of progress within the past 2 or 3 weeks..
Keep it up!

tryqus
March 16th, 2006, 12:26
Wow, that one choppy green block is really laying that other choppy green block out. I say release as is and let the choppy green block fun begin!

Great progress mate, cant wait to see what you can do with a little more time.

-Tryqus

CoderX
March 16th, 2006, 12:32
Back to the dude that sujested compresion to fix the mem

Wont work
Rom needs to be exxtracted in ram to run properly.

My opion is to run the rom from the mem stick as viurtual memory

Why wast all that space on loading the whole rom in to memory.
Holding it open on the memstick, would give you alot more memory to improve the frame rate.

Only Problem, Would limit MemStick Life (not a issue for 99% of people, they could care less)

radiox
March 16th, 2006, 12:59
Back to the dude that sujested compresion to fix the mem

Wont work
Rom needs to be exxtracted in ram to run properly.

My opion is to run the rom from the mem stick as viurtual memory

Why wast all that space on loading the whole rom in to memory.
Holding it open on the memstick, would give you alot more memory to improve the frame rate.

Only Problem, Would limit MemStick Life (not a issue for 99% of people, they could care less)

Except the game would freze/slow to less than a crawl every time you need to access something from there because memory stick access is approximately one bajillion times slower than RAM.

And those people couldn't care less. If they could care less, then it's obviously something that they care about.

dylanvv20
March 16th, 2006, 13:25
AWESOME!!! great job,keep up the good work!!! :D

Psycho77
March 16th, 2006, 14:35
Oh PSmonkey that's make me think, I could loan you my PSP if you would ever need. it's only 2.0 right now, could downgrade to 1.5 or something. Don't want to flash 2.6 thought, I want to play with your emu someday !

swepisodeii
March 16th, 2006, 14:45
Back to file sizes, even if it isn't possible to run files larger than 16MB there are still a bunch of great games that are 16MB or less.

Such as -

Goldeneye
Shadows of the Empire
Pilotwings 64
Shadowgate 64
South Park
Star Fox 64
Rainbox Six
Wipeout 64
Wave Race 64
1080 Snowboarding
Tony Hawk
California Speed
San Fransisco Rush 2049

So even with the 16MB limit this emu could bring some amazing games to the PSP. Keep up the good work!

PSmonkey
March 16th, 2006, 15:38
Guys, You have to realise. Ps1 & n64 are ungodly different in how they handle data.

ps1 runs everything in ram (including the program which is copied from the disc into the ps1's mainram and executed there). Everything needed by the game is loaded into ram. Since CDs were slow most games took this into account and never streamed data, it was all loaded into ram at a load screen then never loaded again (unless streaming audio which is a different story).

N64 on the other hand executes game code from rom. Every cpu instruction (32bit) is directly read from rom. The n64 executes millions of instructions a second, So decompressing instructions would freaking kill the speed. On top of it since the transfer time between rom to ram was so low, many n64 games would directly stream stuff from rom.

Making larger roms work is not as simple as most of you try to make it. It will definantly take quite a bit of time to figure something out. Yet something is posible (atleast for zelda) since nintendo was able to make a method to run zelda on the gamecube.

yaustar
March 16th, 2006, 16:23
Is it possible to extract specific data such as GFX and have that stream off the stick when needed? Or is it a rom by rom basis?

PSmonkey
March 16th, 2006, 16:59
Is it possible to extract specific data such as GFX and have that stream off the stick when needed? Or is it a rom by rom basis?

That is my assumption. In general coding (i'm a comercial gba coder), Roms tend to have the program code at the start of the rom with data appended after the code block. Second, n64 games tend to use th DMA bus to transfer large sets of data. So I can posibly tap that as well. Yet All in all I would need time to experiment and that I could care less to do till after mario64 is fully playable.

bugo
March 16th, 2006, 17:18
nice to know your real job PSmonkey!
I was really thinking how you get time to do this emu? hehe

vettacossx
March 16th, 2006, 18:40
he is a monkey of all trades lets not assume "job" is a flexable title...gr8 work monkey man cant wait to play m64 and some one said earlier this would be "a pretty big acheavment" but its a milestone and a "Miraculous acheavment" and dont rush the master at work young padawans lol he has a life and things other than m64 to so lets not rush the magic..do you rush the person making your food???
NOT IF YOU LIKE IT FULLY COOKED!!! lol
peace your out homies

idapimp
March 16th, 2006, 18:47
i love progress. good work

mexicansnake
March 16th, 2006, 20:17
Nice progress psmonkey! keep your good work!

Cap'n 1time
March 16th, 2006, 20:31
dont confuse megabits with megabytes.

PSmonkey
March 16th, 2006, 22:14
Yay, I am sick today. :(

Anyways I spent some time at lunch correcting my memory handlers (dumped my crap method for pj64 setup). Wile I dont think it made any new games run (it did seem to stop a few from crashing the psp now) it did make a huge impact on the textures in a good way. I just need to spend a little more time adjusting and fixing the textures.

I'm gonna take it easy tonight but hopefuly I can fix the textures tomorrow.

infernomax
March 16th, 2006, 22:31
Yay, I am sick today. :(

Anyways I spent some time at lunch correcting my memory handlers (dumped my crap method for pj64 setup). Wile I dont think it made any new games run (it did seem to stop a few from crashing the psp now) it did make a huge impact on the textures in a good way. I just need to spend a little more time adjusting and fixing the textures.

I'm gonna take it easy tonight but hopefuly I can fix the textures tomorrow.

Well Done on the textures dude, good luck with the next release things look like they are really shaping up good . Until then Have FUN!!

Vega
March 16th, 2006, 22:33
great progress monkey.
get well soon!

pkmaximum
March 16th, 2006, 22:40
Great work PSmonkey looking foward to your latest releases to come out. Soon we will have Mario 64 running yay! :)

Darksaviour69
March 17th, 2006, 01:21
not that i have a psp, so don't really care (personally, but i do support homebrew scenes) Chuis, a dc coder has been working on NEO4ALL/AES a NEO4ALL fork using MMU for load large NEOGEO, roms like Metal Slug X (64MB rom) work in it (remember the DC has 16mbs or ram unlike the psp 32mbs). he was taking about using the same method for a n64 emu!

behahwhoalalala
March 17th, 2006, 02:12
This is becoming a dream!!! A N64 on a PSP!!!
thats just outstanding... keep p the ood work

I 1ik3 73h c0nc3p73 0f 4 n64 0n 4 p2p. y0u r4wk,

POOKAPOOKAPOOKA
March 17th, 2006, 02:47
OMG, someone with a name more annoying than mine. anyway, wow, awesome. I can't wait.

sroon
March 17th, 2006, 02:59
HOLY SEX WITH MIDGETS he is sooooo close.
Great work PSmonkey!!!!

disturbed19
March 17th, 2006, 03:52
hey PSMONKEY, did u ever think of using the ME as a coprocessor? i think it would be a pretty smart thing to do. Moreover, consoles closer to the PSP era are 3d and it MAY BE actually easier to emulate the graphic pipeline...(convert an instruction list format into another)

Sonicadvance1
March 17th, 2006, 04:58
he is going to do that later when it gets more advanced

glitch
March 17th, 2006, 05:52
.....disturbed do you know anything about coding a program? Would you like to program it yourself? It sounds like you do.......

umm... yea that is what I thought, please I BEG you READ the old posts and DOWNLOAD the original beta release before you post anything else.

Not that I have not asked a repeated question, but at least I knew that I did when I asked it, I just mainly wanted more info bout it. That is why we have 2-3 pages of compression talk of roms lol.

Mystic8277
March 17th, 2006, 07:35
OMG, someone with a name more annoying than mine. anyway, wow, awesome. I can't wait.

lmao.. thats great

By the way nice work PSmonkey. Its amazing

behahwhoalalala
March 17th, 2006, 11:41
Originally Posted by POOKAPOOKAPOOKA
OMG, someone with a name more annoying than mine. You rock, Dude you are sooooooo awesome!!! Which reminds me, does anyone here like the boobahs or teletubies!

HEY!!!

Thats my christian name... LOL

Your soooooooo mean...

1337 y0ur h34r7 0u7

GREAT PROGRESS!!!

GO Go Go... juranimo!

EDIT: I meant PSmonkey! (Not juranimo!)

Vega
March 17th, 2006, 13:52
HOLY SEX WITH MIDGETS he is sooooo close.

lol!

Cap'n 1time
March 17th, 2006, 13:53

hah :D :p

sroon
March 17th, 2006, 14:06
Just so you know Im really not a midget LOL, nor do I like to have sex with them.

davka
March 17th, 2006, 16:53
Sorry for mi english, one question , the new update is downlable?

bugo
March 17th, 2006, 19:14
need more t-shirts PSmonkey? ;D

chickenclaws
March 17th, 2006, 19:54
?????

jairolas
March 17th, 2006, 23:15
great work!

http://www.jappop.com/html/emoticons/baboso.gif

-- E§§ #2 --
-- Claimed by michael chan --

disturbed19
March 18th, 2006, 00:20
i know this may be fake but i was surfing the net and i happened to come across site saying theres a new 64 emulator in the works :S i was wonderin wat PSMONKEY thought about this do u think its fake or is it real? here the link http://pspupdates.qj.net/Donkey64-Working-Emulator-/pg/49/aid/11156

jairolas
March 18th, 2006, 00:24
yup is a fake, by donkey64 a gay :cool:

christophe
March 18th, 2006, 00:43
any more news/progress there psmonkey?? dying to hear any new info??

MonoLoco
March 18th, 2006, 00:51
Sigh, I can't believe that little leech actually got a story on PSPUpdates...they really will post pretty much anything. Luckily, no one's believing it, and I posted there to confirm the fake-acity. Anyway, how are those textures coming along? By the looks of it, you've made some impressive progress...

PSPdemon
March 18th, 2006, 01:53
... Can we stop talking about Donkey64!!!!!

Donkey64 - Fake!!!!

There I said it, he aint makin one or releaseing one, it was a stupid video playing on the psp.

Please lets move on!!! Lets not talk about PSDonkey anymore!!!

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

MonoLoco
March 18th, 2006, 01:55
OK? What in my post made it seem like I thought any differently? I just mentioned that I clarified the situation in PSPUpdates, where luckily, most people there aren't believing it either...

PSPdemon
March 18th, 2006, 02:16
Not you Mono... Disturbed.

disturbed19
March 18th, 2006, 02:46
haha i only mentioned it once, and i also had no idea i was just askin if it was real. so relax.

disturbed19
March 18th, 2006, 02:51
you know wat i think would be cool, a collaboration with PSmonkey and the creators of SNESTYL. like say if they both worked on a N64 emulator we would have one in no time. so if your intereted i can give u there address. its just a suggestion nothin personal.

PSmonkey
March 18th, 2006, 03:18
FYI, no updates for a few days. I've been pretty sick thies past two days. hell my gf will probably kill me for not being in bed this second (she's out for a bit).

Anyways I wont be back working on stuff till i'm feeling better which might not be till sunday. The recent fix in memory made huge improvements in colors and tiles but at the same time ****ed the tiles up even more so I have to look into this some more.

glitch
March 18th, 2006, 03:30
disturbed....... the search feature really is nice..... too bad you'll never use it.....

And yea it is sad pspupdates had to post that on their frontpage, the sad thing is back in the day I was the first person to notify them of the PSIX OS for the PSP but due to the overwhelming cries of everyone saying it was fake they agreed and did NOT post it and when they finally did I got no credit at all........ but that is how the ball rolls some times and I wasn't trying to get my name on the front page, I just happened to be in an IRC room when it first broke and knew immediately it was worthy to be frontpage news

christophe
March 18th, 2006, 05:13
any new updates on monkey64?? any news is good news

-- Æĝĝ #9 --
-- Claimed by kyle2194 --

chad69
March 18th, 2006, 06:20
i hope u can get Paper Mario working and get well soon :)

p007889
March 18th, 2006, 07:38
ok so i know nothing about this stuff and this might have already been answered somewhere but ive just been wondering why it would be a problem loading a rom over 32mb when you can load an iso well over 32mb off of the ms

yaustar
March 18th, 2006, 08:24
It is because the system you are trying to emulate streams data off a disc so having large ISOs streaming off the Memory stick is no different in terms of speed as far the emulated machine is concerned.

Cartridges have pretty instant access to any memory or data so accessing data etc off the memory stick is MUCH slower then off memory/ram which is what the emulated machine is used to.

Vega
March 18th, 2006, 09:43
Dammit, all this N64 talk made me buy a 64 once again! Damn you! Managed to pick up the system, 2 controllers, Mario 64, Mario Kart, Goldeneye, WCW/nWo Revenge and Diddy Kong R for £30!!! sweet.
Anyways, keep up the good work monkey. No partyin' this saturday! Get better!

chad69
March 18th, 2006, 14:24
lol

chaz
March 18th, 2006, 14:58
I WANT a FULL blown 3D Mario 64 right NOW d@mn it!!! j/k lol excellent work, keep it up.

oh yea I think I must have messed the area of which ever thread that addressed the mbit limit file size of roms? And why sizes over a certain mbit won't work?....actually I think I might know the answer now since I think about it... is it because it is running in user mode atm and not kernel? ah I dunno....

Psmonkey said that it isnt running in kernel because there is no point at its current development. I think later there will be a kernel mode.

Request to psmonkey: This is sort of a really early request, but after you get everything togeather and thos dam textures wroking can you put in an option to let every one customize their own controls, thanks :)

Vega
March 18th, 2006, 14:59
its not funny, my broke ass was hoping to get monkey64 for playing free illeg... I mean, freeware games! I was planning on picking up a psp game, and I came out with a Nintendo64!
Damn you Monkey and your N64 promoting ways! lol

glitch
March 18th, 2006, 19:32
chaz, I know what he said bout the kernel and stuff I just wanted more details about the ram issue, specifically, which he did provide. But yes none of this matters till later into the developement.

jairolas
March 18th, 2006, 23:29
yeah i wanna play my 300 backups on my psp lol

yaustar
March 19th, 2006, 00:47
chaz, I know what he said bout the kernel and stuff I just wanted more details about the ram issue, specifically, which he did provide. But yes none of this matters till later into the developement.
The RAM is an issue because the entire rom needs to be loaded into memory before use. Since some is taken by the kernal and emu, not much is left. 16-24 I think from memory.

Master_shake329
March 19th, 2006, 19:23
The pic on the left looks good. Thank you for being a legit coder, great work dude

PSmonkey
March 20th, 2006, 20:11
So yeah ok, I've been sick for the past 4 days. This has sucked badly yet i'm feeling better now.

Anyways since I can only debug at work (my home pc dont like pj64 very well for some odd reason) I started looking into why a few games wont work durring lunch. The simplest to debug was mischif maker as it breaks early. Anyways I have started to find where the problem lies but not fully found the exact bug yet I am getting close. I am hoping with doing this I can get more games running which will inturn help me on the rdp. At the moment with an improved memory handler, the textures on games are more ****ed yet many issues like flickering or bad collors are gone (which is a good thing). I probably just need to adjust how I read the data again to get the textures looking correct.

So thats about it for a status update.

Psycho77
March 20th, 2006, 22:01
I really looking forward to see the code and the updates on that project, N64 emulator always interested me. Hopefully, I will be able to help a bit once it's "open source" or something. 4 days sick ? Must have been something really bad. Not like my "Cabane à subre" yesterday where I ate too much and feeled bad for the entire day ;)

hockey2112
March 20th, 2006, 22:08
I had issues with pj64 on my computer as well. It worked fine for awhile, and then suddenly began crapping out on me. I believe the error it usually gave was that it could not allocate the memory. However, I uninstalled and reinstalled it a few times, and it is working fine once again.

I have been following all threads on this topic very closely, and I hope that this has not already been asked: why is it that M64 tells me that there is insufficient memory for some 16 MB games, such as Mario Kart and Mario Tennis? It's no big deal right now since they are not playable yet, but I was just curious.

Thanks for the hard work!

Electrifying
March 20th, 2006, 23:16
I have been following all threads on this topic very closely, and I hope that this has not already been asked: why is it that M64 tells me that there is insufficient memory for some 16 MB games, such as Mario Kart and Mario Tennis? It's no big deal right now since they are not playable yet, but I was just curious.

Read the earlier posts in this thread and you will find the answer to your question :) ;)

Sonicadvance1
March 20th, 2006, 23:44
Pj64 didn't like when I used Rices Video plugin, then I got a new video card and it worked fine :o

PSmonkey
March 21st, 2006, 01:52
I had issues with pj64 on my computer as well. It worked fine for awhile, and then suddenly began crapping out on me. I believe the error it usually gave was that it could not allocate the memory. However, I uninstalled and reinstalled it a few times, and it is working fine once again.

Thanks for the hard work!

Some times it has problems loading 16mb files since it feels its out of memory. I am not fully sure why and will fix this in the future.

Sonicadvance1
March 21st, 2006, 04:29
I had problems with it loading some games aswell(mostly conkers bad fur day)...Then I took a look at my Virtual memory on my computer and it was turned off. I made it use upto 2GB for Virtual memory and havn't had that problem again :P

PSmonkey
March 21st, 2006, 14:14
Well my problem with using pj64 at home is a known problem by zilmar. It seems the debug windows flake out on winxp but not 2k. Sucks but oh well. Anyways I tried to debug some more last night best I can. I did not get anything running yet but I got more games into 2 groups.

1) games that are waiting on something to trigger to start (ie they idle at the right place but some varible is not set so they run the rsp).
2) Games that start the rsp and do stuff but then hang someonwere in the rsp.

:( I actualy got starfox now showing the nintendo screen (but its a white square since i dont suport the render mode yet) but then it goes into problem number 2. Wave race kind of does the same, once it goes to start the game after the n64 logo it gets stuck in the rsp. Oh I also got snowboard kids doing some rsp/rdp stuff but then also hitting problem number 2.

Well thats about it for now. :( Hopefuly I can find that bug haulting games soon. It really feels less of an opcode error and more of a value not set somewhere that the game needs.

frangin2003
March 21st, 2006, 14:25
Well my problem with using pj64 at home is a known problem by zilmar. It seems the debug windows flake out on winxp but not 2k. Sucks but oh well. Anyways I tried to debug some more last night best I can. I did not get anything running yet but I got more games into 2 groups.

1) games that are waiting on something to trigger to start (ie they idle at the right place but some varible is not set so they run the rsp).

:( I actualy got starfox now showing the nintendo screen (but its a white square since i dont suport the render mode yet) but then it goes into problem number 2. Wave race kind of does the same, once it goes to start the game after the n64 logo it gets stuck in the rsp. Oh I also got snowboard kids doing some rsp/rdp stuff but then also hitting problem number 2.

Well thats about it for now. :( Hopefuly I can find that bug haulting games soon. It really feels less of an opcode error and more of a value not set somewhere that the game needs.

It's funny to see you're progressing but putting some " :( ". Tell me PSMonkey, how can you handle Monkey64, Iris, your GF, work, and sure some other stuff ??? If you have some magical powers, please attach some in files right here :). I'm really busy and have a lot of programming projects that I can't handle.

Nevertheless go on Monkey! ;)

PSmonkey
March 21st, 2006, 15:18
It's funny to see you're progressing but putting some " :( ". Tell me PSMonkey, how can you handle Monkey64, Iris, your GF, work, and sure some other stuff ??? If you have some magical powers, please attach some in files right here :). I'm really busy and have a lot of programming projects that I can't handle.

Nevertheless go on Monkey! ;)

Oh well really just somethings have to suffer. Like I dont get any time to play video games :( & loose alot of sleep (on average i get 4-6 hours). Also it helps my gf is really busy with school at the moment so that frees up a little time. :)

also alot of :( because I am still not where I want to be atm. I want things a bit further down the road by now.

Psycho77
March 21st, 2006, 15:52
PSmonkey, not sure if that was "asked" before, but I know you said somewhere you wanted to release the souce when something would be done. What you wanted to be done already ? Any estimate when you will do that ? (Like ok that's would work in like 2 weeks) or something :)

LHorse007
March 21st, 2006, 17:22

I use VMWare Workstation (www.VMWare.com) to run other Operating Systems within WinXP, it's a program that lets you build virtual machines on one computer within an existing OS. I use it to run things in 98 that I need win98 for, win2k, linux, and also a test OS that I try stuff on before installing it on my primary OS. Plus you can restart Virtural Machines created with it without having to restart your whole computer, comes in extremely helpful with everything I do. You could use it to run pj64 with win2k at home.

Don't know if that's helpful to you or not, but just thought I'd share.

PSmonkey
March 21st, 2006, 17:32
I use VMWare Workstation (www.VMWare.com) to run other Operating Systems within WinXP, it's a program that lets you build virtual machines on one computer within an existing OS. I use it to run things in 98 that I need win98 for, win2k, linux, and also a test OS that I try stuff on before installing it on my primary OS. Plus you can restart Virtural Machines created with it without having to restart your whole computer, comes in extremely helpful with everything I do. You could use it to run pj64 with win2k at home.

Thanks, thats actualy extreamly helpful. Just got to find where I put my 2k cd at home. :D

PSmonkey
March 21st, 2006, 17:34
PSmonkey, not sure if that was "asked" before, but I know you said somewhere you wanted to release the souce when something would be done. What you wanted to be done already ? Any estimate when you will do that ? (Like ok that's would work in like 2 weeks) or something :)

Just currious. why such demand for the source? Its not like some other coder is magicaly going to make it run mario at 30fps with a little tweak. I do plan to release the source with v1.1 but I still dont understand why such high demand for the source. Kind of scares me that someones just gonna steal it and call it their work (its not even really my work, its part mine, part other emus).

MonoLoco
March 21st, 2006, 17:39
Honestly, I'd just be very interested in seeing what the code for something like this would look like...I know a bit of C++ but something like this would be way over my head.

Also, don't dwell on the fact that this is not as far along as thought it might be...when you originally said 1-2 weeks, I was shocked that you'd be able to get it anywhere near that timeframe, and as cool as that would be, no one's demanding that of you. I wasn't expected Mario 64 to boot for another few months...another month or so really wouldn't bother me at all.

DPyro
March 21st, 2006, 18:03

Damn, why didnt I think of that. :mad: Anyways, if you can't find your win2k cd I got one for ya. :D

Psycho77
March 21st, 2006, 18:19
Just currious. why such demand for the source? Its not like some other coder is magicaly going to make it run mario at 30fps with a little tweak. I do plan to release the source with v1.1 but I still dont understand why such high demand for the source. Kind of scares me that someones just gonna steal it and call it their work (its not even really my work, its part mine, part other emus).

I don't know if im going to have any time (between GF, Poker and work), but actually to help and (maybe) summit you some code who know, was hoping to learn more about the N64 at the same time too. (even if I can do that right now just taking pj64 and checking the source). Always wanted a N64 emu on my PSP ;)
For sure it's not to rename 2-3 fonctions put my name on it and release something.

No hurry really, I was just wondering when you think you would release that. I was actually setting a PSP dev environment a bit yesterday at home, I'm still far from doing anything. Not sure if I was going to setup an IDE or just using a plain editor, etc. Im not a good coder, but I like playing with these stuff. Last project I worked in a World of Warcraft server (before Blizzard sent lawyers at some of the members place).

I also offered last time, If you ever need, I can load you my PSP (From the interview I read last time, you live in the same town as mine). So I doubt I want to steal anything ;)

Good Intention, but Im still lazy in reality ;)

glitch
March 21st, 2006, 18:20
only thing I am scared of is a CaD before the source gets released lol.... and I figure some time in the future I will be able to code things and maybe then I will try and learn the psp stuff. But I figure I will have to get at least a years experience of messing around before I can do anything remotely useful.... and then I will steal your code and make it my own lol j/k

I'd never do that to any developer, and I think if anyone makes an n64 emulator from this point on and DOES NOT show their UNIQUE source everyone will believe they ripped it off you. So if Donkey64 came around again after your source gets released without showing some obviously unique and different source code then everyone will take it as a pathetic rip off.

I think overall this is helpful because not only does it force future n64 emus to be open source but then if another one does come up maybe yall could share parts of each others source code and make an even better emulator. Kinda like the Surreal 64 that is practically 3 n64 in one.

PSmonkey
March 21st, 2006, 18:51
I don't know if im going to have any time (between GF, Poker and work), but actually to help and (maybe) summit you some code who know, was hoping to learn more about the N64 at the same time too. (even if I can do that right now just taking pj64 and checking the source). Always wanted a N64 emu on my PSP ;)
For sure it's not to rename 2-3 fonctions put my name on it and release something.

No hurry really, I was just wondering when you think you would release that. I was actually setting a PSP dev environment a bit yesterday at home, I'm still far from doing anything. Not sure if I was going to setup an IDE or just using a plain editor, etc. Im not a good coder, but I like playing with these stuff. Last project I worked in a World of Warcraft server (before Blizzard sent lawyers at some of the members place).

I also offered last time, If you ever need, I can load you my PSP (From the interview I read last time, you live in the same town as mine). So I doubt I want to steal anything ;)

Good Intention, but Im still lazy in reality ;)

Kool thats all good with me. Its just there have been others saying I should release so some other coder could make it run at a good fps like it just needed some little optimisation (which is far from the case).

Anyways nice to see another montrealer here. Would be even nicer if you worked for one of the 2 big dev studios. (bored at the one i work for).

Psycho77
March 21st, 2006, 19:15
Hehe I actually have a lots of friends there (st-laurent / beaubien one, not sure which one you work for). Funny you said that I applied there this week as a Network Admin. Also applied at another one as a network admin too. (Currently looking for a new place, working south shore right now). Would be nice to work there, I need to pratice my babyfoot (foozball) skills =P

Anyway, like you said, I won't magically be there and optimize code, when there still missing a lots of opcodes / fonctions, etc. I was thinking only adding features or not much ;)

If you need to apply somewhere, you can ask me I can ask friends.

good old memory: http://www.gotwow.net/

PSmonkey
March 21st, 2006, 20:34
Hehe I actually have a lots of friends there (st-laurent / beaubien one, not sure which one you work for). Funny you said that I applied there this week as a Network Admin. Also applied at another one as a network admin too. (Currently looking for a new place, working south shore right now). Would be nice to work there, I need to pratice my babyfoot (foozball) skills =P

Anyway, like you said, I won't magically be there and optimize code, when there still missing a lots of opcodes / fonctions, etc. I was thinking only adding features or not much ;)

If you need to apply somewhere, you can ask me I can ask friends.

good old memory: http://www.gotwow.net/

Actualy i've applied to 2 places. 1 dicked me around for 4 weeks then stoped replying to my emails (the one at the street corners you mention) and then another big one which turned me down over lack of uni. I work for another but prefer to keep that quiet so i dont get in trouble legaly.

Psycho77
March 21st, 2006, 20:54
Yeah I know that part, I think I applied there, but not sure really if it's the same place. I know a few coders from the first place, might be better if I ask them if you wish, work better if someone from the inside give your resume I guess.
Im at work, but you can always add my MSN (colsen24 AT filltherest), if you wish to check for something like that. I don't garanty anything since I don't work there but still ;)

Back to the emulator thing part, just wondering for the dynamic recompiler, you ever did something similar ? Or it's going to be your first try. I remember reading about PacManfan for this PS1 emu about how he did 2-3 try without success. Kinda curious.

PSmonkey
March 21st, 2006, 22:02
Yeah I know that part, I think I applied there, but not sure really if it's the same place. I know a few coders from the first place, might be better if I ask them if you wish, work better if someone from the inside give your resume I guess.
Im at work, but you can always add my MSN (colsen24 AT filltherest), if you wish to check for something like that. I don't garanty anything since I don't work there but still ;)

Back to the emulator thing part, just wondering for the dynamic recompiler, you ever did something similar ? Or it's going to be your first try. I remember reading about PacManfan for this PS1 emu about how he did 2-3 try without success. Kinda curious.

First. :S Yet i should not worrie as much. Iris was my first 3d game and it did not turn out that bad. :)

PSmonkey
March 22nd, 2006, 02:05
Oooo *bows to the misterious psp*

After 2 hours of tracing I finaly found where doom 64 crashes. Its odd because its a hard crash on a cop1 opcode (mult single float). I think the operation is causing a float exception which crashed the psp. This might explain some roms which seem to shutdown the psp (I installed an exception handler and it catches some roms but some still crash the psp and the doom bug might explain why). Anyways once I can code again later tonight I will try and fix this bug and see if I can't get doom progressing.

--edit--
Oh one more thing. If a damn game does not start calling to render triangles by next week, i'm gonna shelf the rsp lle and start over again on an hle method (but i really dont want to do this).

PSmonkey
March 22nd, 2006, 14:31
Ok one more update and that will be it till I make some progress.

I have traced doom down to a floating point exception. I am not fully sure why it does this but I am gonna look into it further. I also started looking more into an opengl hle plugin on the pc to see how it does hle emulation.

So here is the gameplan

1) Breakdown and recheck cop1/floating point opcodes. Get them all fixed.
2) If after all this no game shows 3d still, I will start writing a rsp/rdp hle method.
3) After I get 3d going via hle/lle, I will go back and fix memory bugs like in mischif maker & mortal kombat trillogy ([!] dump).

One nice thing tho. My tester pointed out that quest64 now shows the 2d copyright & intro screen. The nice part is it runs at 30fps and is somewhat viewable. Kind of cool. Also I noticed last night rampage 2 seems to do something at the start but I cant tell what it is or make the game advance.

gronne
March 22nd, 2006, 14:49
Ok one more update and that will be it till I make some progress.

I have traced doom down to a floating point exception. I am not fully sure why it does this but I am gonna look into it further. I also started looking more into an opengl hle plugin on the pc to see how it does hle emulation.

So here is the gameplan

1) Breakdown and recheck cop1/floating point opcodes. Get them all fixed.
2) If after all this no game shows 3d still, I will start writing a rsp/rdp hle method.
3) After I get 3d going via hle/lle, I will go back and fix memory bugs like in mischif maker & mortal kombat trillogy ([!] dump).

One nice thing tho. My tester pointed out that quest64 now shows the 2d copyright & intro screen. The nice part is it runs at 30fps and is somewhat viewable. Kind of cool. Also I noticed last night rampage 2 seems to do something at the start but I cant tell what it is or make the game advance.
You may not think so(you should obviously know that better than me), but I think you seem to work and progress extremely fast. I hope you don't release the sourcecode till it's fairly stable, as we'll only see crappy crappy versions that'll make 100 different compatibility lists and genreally mess up the scene. Release the source when you run out of ideas.

sroon
March 30th, 2006, 20:45
Great work PSmonkey.
THIS IS MY 100TH POST YAAYYY

bugo
March 31st, 2006, 03:37
yo Monkey, do you have more news about the emu?

PSmonkey
March 31st, 2006, 04:23
yo Monkey, do you have more news about the emu?

Yeah, I quit. :eek:
I kid :p

Not really. I just have criptic things to say like "If I crack the wip hard tonight, I might have something pretty to show for it tomorrow" or like "Who wants to simulate what its like to be a gizmondo ceo at 4fps next week?"

Thats all the hints I give for now.

DPyro
March 31st, 2006, 04:26
Lol, dont work yourself too hard tonight.

drquack02
March 31st, 2006, 07:59
Hey PSMonkey just signed up for the forums to let you know your work is appreciated here!!

Honestly you have to be the best coder I've seen, in speed and in communication.

Really nice to be able to hear updates almost daily instead of one every two months like most coders do.

Best of luck!! I'm more excited about your work than pretty much the next few months of PSP games!

Chris

bugo
March 31st, 2006, 08:04
yeah! drquack02, me too! I really dont care about the other games...
Im very impressed on what Psmonkey is doing... he is the best coder on PSP community in the moment I think (not to let the others down, but...)
Thankyou for the updates dude... you need to rest some...

djacura
March 31st, 2006, 15:49
psmonkey, thank you so much for the great work that you this causing is impressive

a greeting and a great hug, continue thus

Psycho77
March 31st, 2006, 16:06
Lol, dont work yourself too hard tonight.

But he is a monkey ! ;)

----
There read the monkey joke about consultants, while you wait for the next emu update:

A guy visit Silicon Valley for the first time, the most impressive place for IT, games, high tech companies. He is really excited by all the big names around. He decide to stop in a small shop. He check around the stuff, then see a guy enter, pay 20000$, the owner of the place go in the back of his store, get monkey give it to the guy that leave.

He is like "wtf was that", very curious and stunned. He keep looking for the stuff around when another guy come in, talk to the owner, give him a 50000$. The owner go in the back get another monkey for the second guy, then he leave with his monkey.

So impress, he cannot believe his eyes, telling himself it's not possible, he have to ask about the monkeys to the owner. Just before asking a 3rd customer get in the shop, walk strait to the owner and give him a 100,000$. The owner get another monkey in the back, give it to the 3rd guy, then the guy leave quite happy.

Visitor: "Ok, mister I really curious you have to tell me why peoples are buying monkey in a computer shop".

Owner: "Hey young boy, your are not in normal computer shop here, your in Silicon Valley, the most advanced IT place ever, we are big, high tech and ahead of our time."

Visitor: "Yeah but why the first person paid 20,000$, that's so much for a monkey".

Owner: "This is not any normal monkeys here boy, your in Silicon Valley, the most advanced IT place ever, we are big, high tech and ahead of our time, the first monkey was a C coders, he can code faster than any normal human".

Visitor: "Geesh wow really, what about the second one, 50,000$, that's a lots of cash for a simple monkey"

Owner: "This is not a simple monkey, your in Silicon Valley here boy, the most advanced IT place ever, we are big, high tech and ahead of our time, the second monkey can code object, he can code advanced structure and he is faster than the first one."

Visitor: "Really impressive, but then why did the third guy paid 100,000$ for a monkey ? What he is doing ? He must be REALLY special".

Owner: "Oh, that monkey, we don't know exactly what he is doing but he is a consultant".

;)

PSmonkey
March 31st, 2006, 17:41
Hah I sadly had to chat with psyco on msn to figure out the end. Lol.

I need sleep.

Anyways I was up till 4am last night. While I dont have something to show for RIGHT NOW, I might have something for you all later today (must fix some more bugs). All in all tho, Its quite posibly we will be playing Gizmondo CEO Racing 64 next week (and no i am not hinting of mario kart. If you think early n64 racers you might figure it out).

DPyro
March 31st, 2006, 18:15
Oh, I know what it is :D

drquack02
March 31st, 2006, 18:24
Hmm I'm guessing either Crusin USA or Waverace (if you concider that racing)

*Edit*

Wow the CEO part went right over my head....can't wait to try out that Diablo :)

Zeemon
March 31st, 2006, 19:19
Ohh man....This is really exciting! Great work PSmonkey!

DPyro
March 31st, 2006, 20:43
Hmm I'm guessing either Crusin USA or Waverace (if you concider that racing)

*Edit*

Wow the CEO part went right over my head....can't wait to try out that Diablo :)

Diablo? Are we talking about the same console here?

drquack02
March 31st, 2006, 21:50
Haha mabey I should have said Lamborghini Diablo...

Zeemon
March 31st, 2006, 22:01
Haha-- yeah...big difference..

PSmonkey
March 31st, 2006, 22:11
Ok because of the donky Bs. I spilled the beans on the other site. You guys deserve better then to be strung along by some guy on the internet. Here is the deal.

Hey everybody else. I've recently been killing my self to get hle going & fix 3d transformation bugs. The ultimate goal is I currently have automobile lambergini running in game and using 3d hardware but transformation issues are breaking things at the moment. As soon as I get this all fixed, working and playable. I will release a public build. So everybody can enjoy regardless of the framerate issues or graphical errors.

I spent all lunch (even tho i am running on 4 hours of sleep atm and partly sick again) on tracing further into the problem. I got a bug in my model transformation that is breaking it. I should hopefuly have that sorted out tonight/tomorrow.

bugo
March 31st, 2006, 22:25
Dude, I wish I could help you...!

Sonicadvance1
March 31st, 2006, 22:37
Jeez monkey, with how often you are getting sick and how hard you are working on this emulator, seems you are getting sick by programming too much :P

LHorse007
March 31st, 2006, 22:44
That was a good rant PSmonkey.

By the way, I think you've been on the same sickness track I was on. Flu, followed by little flu, then bronchitis and sinus infections. I just finished getting over it about a week and a half ago. Take it easy and don't overheat.

PSmonkey
March 31st, 2006, 23:00
Jeez monkey, with how often you are getting sick and how hard you are working on this emulator, seems you are getting sick by programming too much :P

I usualy dont get sick that often but I think the first time around i got it from someone at work. Then it went away yet since others got sick after me at work. I picked it up again but not so bad the 2nd time around. It was just minor coughing. Yet It seems to slowly keep getting worse since I'm not sleeping as much so I can work.

:(

jairolas
April 1st, 2006, 01:07
wow psdonkey rules :eek:

qaopjlll
April 1st, 2006, 05:35
The Gizmondo guy drove a Ferrari Enzo, not a Lamborghini

Keep up the good work PSMonkey

Shadowblind
April 1st, 2006, 06:41
who the heck is psdonkey?

stotheamuel
April 1st, 2006, 06:50
dont bring it up! forget it

a fake who posted videos of a rival n64 emu

no more lol

Shilo
April 1st, 2006, 06:53
PSdonkey is the guy who "clams" to have made a N64 emu named Donkey64. He said he wasn't gona release it until it was finished. Then he said that it would be released on 3/29 no matter what. Well its not out..... The only thing we got is 3 vids, one of Mario Kart 64, one of Super Mario 64, and one of Donkey Kong 64. Will it ever come??????.................. don't think so. You can read all of the other posts about here on dcemu, just try searching for donkey64 to see the full story.

Get well soon PSmonkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

PSmonkey
April 1st, 2006, 16:27
The Gizmondo guy drove a Ferrari Enzo, not a Lamborghini

Keep up the good work PSMonkey
Eh, It was the closest i could get. The main point is recking expensive cars. :P

jairolas
April 2nd, 2006, 18:41
who the heck is psdonkey?

he´s god. :o

DPyro
April 2nd, 2006, 20:17
You mean PSmonkey.

Shilo
April 2nd, 2006, 20:33
I hope he means PSmonkey

sroon
April 3rd, 2006, 15:02
Heed better! PSmonkey is the only one showing constant updates. This is his forum also so please go talk about donkey somewhere else.

behahwhoalalala
April 4th, 2006, 21:26
awesome work psmonky... heres a cookie!

-- ē§ģ #7 --
-- Claimed by kyle2194 --