PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast Analogue stick swap

LeeM0184
March 16th, 2006, 19:25
I was wondering if anybody has ever attempted changing the physical analogue stick from the dreamcast controller and replaced it with one from another pad?

I prefer the feel of the gamecube stick and if it was just a case of swapping the stick that sits on the sensor, then i'd get myself one of those special nintendo opening tools and swap the bad boy over. As it stands, i don't have the tool, so i can't actually see for myself.

Erghize
March 18th, 2006, 22:34
I don't actually know if it's as easy as just swapping them over.

I saw a picture of what appeared to be a DC controller inside a PS1 controller case, but when I tried to attempt it I couldn't remove the PS1 analogue stick and place it straight onto the DC controllerboard.

Also, the DC stick is too big to fit into the case, so you might have to do a bit of research and find out how easy it would be.

Lazie_Gamer
March 20th, 2006, 00:27
Well, i have tried this and failed. The thing is, nintendo and sega use diffrent technology on their analog sticks. See, when the nintendo analog stick moves, it twists a flat peice of plastic on each side that turns a pot switch on each side. but the dreamcast controller's analog stick is much more complicated than that. the analog stick sits in a well, which has carbon all over the bottom. when the analog stick moves, the carbon senses movement and sends that information to 4 small contacts underneath the well. they then use that info to determine what direction and how much the analog stick moved.

Im not sure if my explanation of the dreamcast analog stick was that accurate, but its something of that sort. That should give you a better understanding of each controller's analog stick.

btw i think the ps2 uses the same stick technology as the dreamcast so that would be easier than swapping it with gamecube stick.

Erghize
March 20th, 2006, 02:46
Your pretty much correct about the whole Dreamcast thing.

And no, PS2 doesn't use the same method as the Dreamcast, same as the GameCube from what you were describing.

ptr.exe
April 5th, 2006, 16:51
Why not just take the actual plastic bit and swap them. I use a PS2 analogue on my DC controller - just the actual plastic bit, the DC analogue mechanism is still there. I always prefered the texture of the PS2 analogue stick.

The GC and PS2 both use the (much simpler) method of pot meters as Lazie_Gamer described whereas DC uses a much smoother system where moving the stick doesnt actually push against anything.