PDA

View Full Version : Peer blames computer and games industries for obesity

wraggster
May 14th, 2009, 14:38
aroness Susan Greenfield claims use of computers and games changes the way the brain works, promoting excessive eating
Baroness Susan Greenfield has launched an attack on the IT industry, claiming it – along with the games industry – are fuelling the obesity crisis.
Speaking to a science seminar at the House of Lords, the peer said that use of computers and video games were 'infantilising', changing the way the brain works and promoting obesity in the process, reports the Telegraph.
She said that the nature of IT and games and the ability to just restart when a error was made was changing the way the brain worked, claiming a child who fell out of a tree would not make the make the same mistake again, but a computer user or gamer would.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/34280/Peer-blames-computer-and-games-industries-for-obseity

apex05
May 15th, 2009, 00:44
All these studies just give fat people excuses to get even fatter, thousands of people are going to read this article and add it to their reasons why they have no control over their weight, the government should know better than to keep publishing this unsubstantiated crap.

NeoXCS
May 15th, 2009, 09:03
I'm pretty sure gamers and heavy computer users have the common sense to not climb trees, or at least use some precautions while doing so. And according to this, I'm a fat tub of lard who wouldn't even bother doing "physical activity". So how would I get in the tree in the first place? I think that is the worst argument ever. What is even worse for this argument, I lost about 100lbs while being a hardcore gamer and computer nerd. Explain this to me Susan Greenfield. I think children just need to eat smarter, it's not the games fault. They could do well with just a little physical activity and decently good eating habits.

Psyberjock
May 15th, 2009, 16:39
I would like to add that the very reason for restarting a game (ie getting back into the tree) is so that you don't make the same mistake twice (ie fall out again). The challenge of doing something difficult and trying all the possible ways of achieving success is what drives us in video games. NOT repeatedly losing.

This lady hasn't thought her argument through. I guess anyone can be a baroness these days. =(

duhoh
May 15th, 2009, 17:48
another person making retarded claims on why society is so messed up.

when do the people themselves take the blame? when will it be an individual's own fault for being fat?