PDA

View Full Version : Bootmii Released - Wii Homebrew Just Got Much Safer

wraggster
May 14th, 2009, 17:42
Its finally been released, heres the info:

BootMii (http://bootmii.org/) is a set of software that can be installed on Nintendo Wii© consoles to provide added functionality, safety and convenience.

BootMii for Users:
BootMii is a piece of software that can be installed as an IOS or inserted into the boot process. As an IOS, it provides a fast way to back up your Wii's internal NAND flash memory, and will eventually form the basis of a new generation of homebrew applications for the Wii. Inserted into the boot process, BootMii provides you with a "safety net" -- you can back up your entire Wii to SD in under three minutes! If you were to brick your Wii, BootMii would still run and let you restore your backup from SD, quickly and painlessly. BootMii also allows you to directly boot the Homebrew channel or other homebrew from SD, bypassing the "warning screen" and the rest of the menu.

Coders:
You will have full access to both processors inside the Wii, and can inject code anywhere into the boot process. Want to write your own system menu? Stick it on your SD card and boot it. BootMii is powered by USBGecko -- as with the Homebrew Channel before it, you can upload code and run it via USBGecko. With BootMii, you can upload code to either processor a few seconds after poweron.

BootMii Installation
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BootMii installation is a breeze, if you are already capable of running Homebrew. In any case we recommend launching the BootMii Installer through the Homebrew Channel if you are already capable of running homebrew.

People who don't have the Homebrew Channel on theirs wii yet can use either the Twilight Hack or BannerBomb to launch our newly designed installer. We won't be describing these methods in detail here, read the respective documentation yourself to figure out that part.

The new installer has been revamped a bit in comparison to our old installers, and is actually not just an installer for BootMii, but will also allow you to install The Homebrew Channel and DVDx. So if you don't have the Homebrew Channel or DVDx yet, you can use above mentioned exploits and our single all-in-one installer to install everything in one go.

After launching the installer, just follow the instructions on screen and you should be good to go within a minute or two.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

djdynamite123
May 14th, 2009, 18:13
ohyess a nice nand backup will come in handy :P

XDelusion
May 14th, 2009, 20:24
crap on a crap cracker, I need my wii back!!!

WhizzBang
May 21st, 2009, 13:24
I am surprised there hasn't been more discussion about this. I have been looking around trying to find out more before using is and have read this (http://hackmii.com/2009/05/bootmii_beta_1/#more-549):

Please do not install BootMii unless you have been following our blog for a while and know what IOS is, what boot1 and boot2 are, etc. If you’re curious, you can try anyway, but if you can’t figure out how to work this thing you should probably wait for a future beta. We really don’t want to see epic threads with “tips” on installing — this thing is supposed to be self-explanatory, and if it won’t install for you, that’s a bug we need to fix.

From what I have understood, the potential of this looks great but I am going to wait until a more idiot friendly version is released since I am not familiar with ISO's and boot1 & boot2.

Has anyone here installed it and would like to share there experience of it?

gary_abernethy2
May 30th, 2009, 15:13
is this the thing to play burned games???
if not can someone direct me to the right place please?

WhizzBang
May 30th, 2009, 15:58
is this the thing to play burned games???
if not can someone direct me to the right place please?

No. This app allows code to be run before the Wii system menu boots up. It allows users to back up the system and should be a great tool for repairing Wii's if they go wrong. It should also make it harder for Nintendo to block the possibility of running homebrew software.

This is a homebrew website and not a piracy one, so it is against the rules to help you with your burned games. From what I have seen on YouTube though, pirated games take ages to load anything and are not as good as the real discs. There are only about 12 really good Wii games anyway.