PDA

View Full Version : Ur-Quan Masters 0.5.0 - PSP Port Rev 001

sharkus
March 19th, 2006, 07:50
(News Submission and New Release for PSP by Sharkus)

Updated to UQM 0.6.2 - R02

http://gp2x-emulation.dcemu.co.uk/files/slaveshield.png

New update that should load from uqm file MUCH FASTER!

-Sharkus

--------------

The Ur-Quan Masters 0.6.2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(i.e. Star Control II)

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

PSP Version by Sharkus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Getting Started
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Copy UQM directories to /PSP/GAME/ directory of memory stick (don't forget to copy the subdirectories as well)
2. Copy UQM 0.6.2 content (http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php) to /PSP/GAME/UQM/content/packages/ directory (voice and music is optional)
3. Start UQM from the Sony VSH or your favorite launcher.
4. Kick some Ur-Quan ass

I would like to give my thanks to the following list of most excellent people:
- The Ur-Quan Masters Team (http://sc2.sourceforge.net/team.php)
- PSPSDK team from http://ps2dev.org
- TyRaNiD (PSPLINK rocks)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Build Instructions
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Get your PSP environment up and running including PSPSDK, SDL, SDL_image, jpeg, libpng, zlib, libTremor (http://ps2dev.org) -- I'm currently using svn rev 1841
- Get UQM 0.6.2 sourcecode
- Apply patch supplied with release
- Run 'make'

~~~~~~~~~
CHANGELOG
~~~~~~~~~

UQM 0.6.2 - Rev 002 (Alpha) - 20081031
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Increased stack size to prevent stack overflows and crashes (especially when starting Melee mode). Spent a lot of time improving load times when using compressed uqm files. It should be at least 2-3 times faster now. Unless there are some critical bugs this will probably my last rev for a while.

UQM 0.6.2 - Rev 001 (Alpha) - 20081026
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I got bored on a long flight to Japan, so I thought I would take a crack at porting the latest and greatest.
It seems to work at least as well as the old version, so I thought some folks might like to run this on their
slim and/or newer firmware (I've tested it briefly on the 5.0M33 firmware). Have fun!

Rev 003 (Alpha) - 20060518
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1.5 compatible EBOOT.PBP icon and sound supplied by Tieske.
The game will run a long time before crashing.
Fixed stack overflow and use latest libc for thread safe malloc/free.
Planet rotation is rendered on the fly (slower but saves ~8 mbytes of memory). Every time a planet is visited free memory is stored to memory.txt file. The UQM source does not currently free resources after they are used so eventually it may run out of memory and crash (although I have not seen that in the 1+ hours I tested).

Rev 002 (Alpha) - 20060320
Fixed SOME of the stability issues. Melee should work now. There are still some random crashes due to running out of memory. I suggest to save often until I get them fixed... Most of the time you should be able to make it past your buddy at pluto. I also modified the default keys.cfg file to use the O button for the thrust function and the l/r triggers for weapons. IMHO, this makes the game much easier to control. You are welcome to customize the keys.cfg file to your liking.

Rev 001 (Alpha) - 20060318
This is a very rough port at this point. I only have a v1.5 PSP so I have no idea if it will work with the 2.x firmware. This is my first attempt at PSP development so I'm sure there are lots and lots of problems. I've played through the first couple minutes with the standard game and voice packages. Load times are horrible (that will be my next task). I would also like to understand if the temp directory is being written to and move that into RAM (to extend memory stick life). I have not tested any addons so your milage may vary.

Download via Comments and Give Feedback

nunya
March 19th, 2006, 08:50
i wanna ask if i could take a peak at the source, i am very curious as to how this works (porting across multiple platforms).

plus i might be able to help if a problem has an obvious and moderately simple solution :D

i probably wouldn't be able to help on a major scale

wraggster
March 19th, 2006, 12:19
Thanks for the release, i had seen this released on the GP2X and wondered if a PSP port would be done :), ive upgraded you to PSP Coder so if you like you can post any new releases directly as news (if you like of course ;))

Galiano
March 19th, 2006, 14:00
Works fine on a 2.0 psp through Fanjitas eloader 0.96 (biere d'alsace)
Fantastic thanks man

jinxie
March 19th, 2006, 15:51
sharkus, what are the tech. req for EBOOT icon and background?

danknugz
March 19th, 2006, 19:32
very nice work!
i did have a problem tho, in the campaign, the first time i was engaged in combat, the whole psp locked up, it was at earth, if that helps.
ever have that problem, or did i not install correctly?
thanks!

FW 1.5-gigapack / 1 gig sony msd /250 megs free

sharkus
March 19th, 2006, 20:32
Hmm. I haven't seen that yet. It worked okay for me. I'll play through that part again and see if there happens to be any problems. If you recreate try to provide a save file before the crash I can take a look.

Galiano
March 19th, 2006, 20:39
Crashed on me when i went into orbit of the moon, psp froze then turned itself off.

Voltron
March 19th, 2006, 20:45
Nice Work! I like seeing ports like this. I hope one day someone can try to port XCOM: UFO Defense - Anyway, great work!

sharkus
March 19th, 2006, 21:17
For those that are experiencing crashes, can you provide your configuration details (fw rev, memory stick size/free space, content packs, etc).

Thanks,
Sharkus

O-bake
March 19th, 2006, 23:26
Wow, thanks a lot for that port :)

I never played Star Control (2) in the past, i must have missed it. But many friends ask me, why on earth i never played that game.
Like Transport Tycoon Deluxe, i will get to know this game on my PSP :)

Thanks a lot man.

km2
March 20th, 2006, 00:28
For those that are experiencing crashes, can you provide your configuration details (fw rev, memory stick size/free space, content packs, etc).

Thanks,
Sharkus

FW: 1.5
Sandisk pro duo 2gb (non gamer or ultra)
All 3 content packs (main game, music, voices)

Crashes and instantly goes back to psp dash, if you pick up that spathi on pluto.

sharkus
March 20th, 2006, 09:11
Give the 002 rev a shot and let me know if it is any better. I'm still tracking some out of memory errors down, but this one is a lot better.

Thanks,
Sharkus

danknugz
March 20th, 2006, 20:05
i was able to play a bit more , but its crashed a few tiimes. its such a huge game, its easy to get lost... sweet graphics too.
thanks for the sweet port!
with the 002 patch i was able to play through a super skermish mode, but it locked up a t the end. fun game tho!

is there any good place to find open sourc games like this one?

Clordio
March 20th, 2006, 20:43
I'll make the eboot pics for you if you'd like :)

sharkus
March 20th, 2006, 21:29
Clordio, sounds great. Post them here and I'll put them in a future release.

Clordio
March 20th, 2006, 23:27
Here is the new file along with the pics. Not my best in a small amount of time, but I'll make some better ones in the future. Post the fw 1.0 version and I can make the pics for 2.1 and up too. :)

P.S.

Great work so far :cool:
look below for better

Galiano
March 20th, 2006, 23:29
I'm still experiencing crashes when i go into orbit of planets, still ace though top work!!!

km2
March 20th, 2006, 23:30
Also, if the game is slow (espically when the alien is talking, gaps in audio), check the UQM folder to see if there are 2 .cfg files, delete the one that is not keys.cfg, and the game should run fine until then. It some how autogenerates itself after you run the game a couple of times and not go into the options.

Clordio
March 21st, 2006, 01:48
Update on eboot pics

Yeah so the last ones I did were really ugly and really bothering me so I redid them. I also attached another icon idea just in case. As I said before, I can do a 2.1+ version if you give me the 1.0 version. Rock on.

P.S.

I'm runnin' on 2.6 and it runs but crashes like everybody else after some exploration.

Tripred
March 21st, 2006, 14:46
Sharkus,

I just wanted to pop in and say thank you for this port. Ur Quan Masters is by far one of my favorite games for the PC and 3DO. Please do not give up on this project until it is 100%. I want to have your manbabies.

Love,
Trip

Tieske
March 22nd, 2006, 15:28
I also created a custom icon for this game with the pictures attached.
I also converted a music file from the 3do music addon to add to the icon.
These files i included so you could make your own EBOOT.PBP:
- PARAM.SFO <- The loader link to the maindir
- PIC1.PNG <- The background
- ICON0.PNG <- The small icon
- SND0.AT3 <- The background music

I also included the full EBOOT.PBP for your convenience.
Just replace the eboot that's in the folder with no other files. (The UQM% folder)

Thanx for bringing this game to the PSP Sharkus!!
Excellent work! Stability is pretty good, only downside is the loading as you already mentioned. Keep it up!

grtz,
Tieske

sharkus
March 22nd, 2006, 19:27
Thanks to everyone for the icons.

I've been focusing on fixing stability problems. Initial load times are a bit long, but I find the game as playable as most commercial PSP game. I'll work on that once I'm sure the game doesn't crash...

I must say that the stability problems have been nasty to find and fix. I hope I nailed the final problem (code is working with -O2 compiler flag so that is a good sign). I will do a bit more testing and hopefully have a much better release available soon.

-Sharkus

dcemudos
March 23rd, 2006, 01:57
Sharkus thanks for the port.
The strange is that 1 day before your post i was searching for this :)

danknugz
March 23rd, 2006, 05:42
ive been playing nothing but this since it came out! its an awesome game, but its crashing very regularly. about every 20 min the system will just shut down. ive been saving often, but its screwed my a few times. cant wait for the next update!

1 gig msd- 1.5 fw- 400megs free

danknugz
March 23rd, 2006, 05:49
oh and also. sometimes when you go to scan a planet, the surface will be black, no textures, on any planet you go to after than, untill you reboot. if you dont reboot, it will crash within a few minutes, and if you saved during that time, any loads will be currupted the same way. hope that helps

nattog
March 23rd, 2006, 06:33
im having a great time with this, it has brought back so many memories of my first computer.. anyway, the game has been running rather smooth for me, absoultly no problems other that the obvious load times and ocasional crashes which seem to happen after long conversations or long play. i must say sharkus, this is one of the best ports to psp ever released, thank you soo much

1.5 fw 1 gig sandisk. version 002. content, voice, music

dcemudos
March 23rd, 2006, 22:20
I have a question.To play the game do i need to unzip the files to PSP/GAME/UQM/content/packages?I have a pc port version...

sharkus
March 23rd, 2006, 22:36
No need to unzip anything. Just drop the .uqm files there. (Make sure they are the 0.5.0 version of the content files.)

sharkus
March 24th, 2006, 07:34
Quick update... Unfortuantely there is still a lingering crash so no release for a few more days. (I'll be away for the weekend.)

Clordio
March 24th, 2006, 11:19
Take your time, we all want this to be perfect. Especially us 2.1+ users. :)

Zadam
March 28th, 2006, 06:23
Take your time, we all want this to be perfect. Especially us 2.1+ users. :)

Yes, yes, take your time... But please hurry! ;)

I'm hanging out quite severely for a new revision of this game...

gormbanana
March 28th, 2006, 17:48
I actually joked two days ago to some friends that UQM on the PSP would be wonderful.

...but it doesn't seem to work. I am running in 2.0 firmware with the Fanjita EBOOT loader. Is this impossible and do I need to use another means of booting it? I have installed the neccesary content pack.

Clordio
March 29th, 2006, 22:16
I actually joked two days ago to some friends that UQM on the PSP would be wonderful.

...but it doesn't seem to work. I am running in 2.0 firmware with the Fanjita EBOOT loader. Is this impossible and do I need to use another means of booting it? I have installed the neccesary content pack.

No, it's just really unstable for 2.0 and up right now. But Sharkus is workin' on it and it's gonna be great. :D

danknugz
March 30th, 2006, 07:41
cant wait for an update, an autosave feature would be sweet, but i dont know how much tweaking is possible.
keep up the good work!

Zadam
April 3rd, 2006, 22:43
Still no update! NOOOO! *cries*

Sentroid X
April 4th, 2006, 11:08
2. Copy UQM 0.5.0 content (http://sourceforge.net/project/show...ackage_id=55521) to /PSP/GAME/UQM/content/packages/ directory (voice and 3d0 music is optional)

Do you mean ALL of the content or just the voices & sound?

Clordio
April 5th, 2006, 11:12
Do you mean ALL of the content or just the voices & sound?

Just the one that says content.uqm the voice and stuff is optional.

Sentroid X
April 5th, 2006, 20:39
It says cannot run game. Data is corupted. Is there a reason behind this too. How do I use Sony VSH?

Clordio
April 5th, 2006, 20:57
It says cannot run game. Data is corupted. Is there a reason behind this too. How do I use Sony VSH?

Are you selecting it directly from the memory card or are you using GTA?

Sentroid X
April 5th, 2006, 21:17
The what now? Please explain what VSH is and all of this stuff. What is GTA?

I am using it from the memory card. is that bad?

Clordio
April 9th, 2006, 14:44
I Pm'd you some help on homebrew.

Zadam
April 10th, 2006, 03:55
*Still waiting for a new version*

Please don't tell me this port has been abandoned?? :(

Clordio
April 17th, 2006, 05:32
*Still waiting for a new version*

Please don't tell me this port has been abandoned?? :(

I'm scared too, but alot of these devs have real life stuff to take care of too, so we can only wait.

Serengeti
April 18th, 2006, 15:04
Hey all, just wanted to provide some encouragement for the authors. This conversion rocks and I can't wait for the next version!

Zadam
April 19th, 2006, 01:00
Please devs, do not give up on this port... I'm very concerned that no update at all has been made for such a long time! Please do not give up, a lot of people are eagerly awaiting the next version!

Zadam
April 21st, 2006, 05:23
Quick update... Unfortuantely there is still a lingering crash so no release for a few more days. (I'll be away for the weekend.)

Last post made by Sharkus... Almost one month ago. Either he is:

A) Dead

or

B) Having ONE HELL of a long weekend

or

C) Has given up on the port and has abandoned us!!! NOOOOOOOOO!

Sharkus where are you!?!??!?!?

SharkFish
April 24th, 2006, 12:32
d) Has something more important to do.

I think he will give us a "sign" soon. Only thing we can do is wait for his return.

Zadam
May 2nd, 2006, 01:25
I must say I'm very disapointed... So many times this has happened to a promising PSP homebrew game/port... We are given a tantalising taste of what could be, and then for unknown reasons the project gets abandoned leaving us more frustrated than satisfied... I must say I become more and more disillusioned with PSP homebrew each time this happens... :(

MaxDemian
May 12th, 2006, 00:39
If all you naggers out there want it so bad, pick up a C++ book and learn for yoursevles.
This guy's been kind enough to lend some time to go this far, whether it be for the purpose of entertainment or just a proof of concept. Far as I'm concerned he's done more than enough, hell I was excited just to see a port of this amazing game exsisted, if anyone takes it to completion that's all the better.

So thankyou Sharkus, thankyou very much. If I had the time managment skills and a knowledge of code I would help out, but as it stands I'm but a humble designer, but hey if ya need some graphics done, feel free to flick me a mail :)

<-------------B!tch session ends here

Cheers all.

Zadam
May 12th, 2006, 01:16
If all you naggers out there want it so bad, pick up a C++ book and learn for yoursevles.
This guy's been kind enough to lend some time to go this far, whether it be for the purpose of entertainment or just a proof of concept. Far as I'm concerned he's done more than enough, hell I was excited just to see a port of this amazing game exsisted, if anyone takes it to completion that's all the better.

So thankyou Sharkus, thankyou very much. If I had the time managment skills and a knowledge of code I would help out, but as it stands I'm but a humble designer, but hey if ya need some graphics done, feel free to flick me a mail :)

<-------------B!tch session ends here

Cheers all.

Firstly, everyone has already aknowledged and praised Sharkus for his efforts with the port. Secondly, no one is bitching about whether or not Sharkus decided to do this as a full port/proof of concept/whatever. What I personally am COMMENTING on (note theres a difference between voicing your concern and bitching) is the sudden disapearance. The last thing he said was something about a new release "in a few days". Which was over a month ago now. What happened? Why doesn't he come on here and at least tell us "Hi guys, sorry I was away because X reason", or "Hi guys it took a long time but I have a new version", or "screw you ***s, I don't want to work on this anymore" whatever.

Just a simple status update to figure out if Sharkus is even still alive...

One more thing... Your comment about coding is just dumb... For so many reasons, the biggest of which is the fact that we DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO THE CODE... duh. The sourceforge repository does not contain ANY of the PSP specific code that Sharkus wrote, and he didn't attach it to the thread... So the only option is to start at the beginning with the platform independant code and port it to PSP from scratch... And if anyone here could do that, we probably would have done it already.

sharkus
May 12th, 2006, 08:19
I appoligize for deserting everyone... As a very brief explaination:

1. I went on vacation
2. I got a promotion at work
3. I purchased a Xbox 360
4. I'm having my 4th child in two months so my wife needs more attention than normal

Add all those together, and the sum is that I haven't had any time to play with my PSP in a long while...

If anyone is interested continuing the development, the rev 002 version contains a patch file with all of the diff's for the 0.5.0 UQM source to build for PSP.

After I released 002, I also fixed a minor issue in the psp libc (made malloc and free thread safe) and increased the stack size in the SDL library to prevent a stack overflow. Unfortunately, there are still some other stability issues that I haven't tracked down.

-Sharkus

Seekingtruth86
May 12th, 2006, 20:01
Ah, good to see Sharkus is alive and well. Wanted to say thanks for starting such a cool project- whether you or somebody else picks up the reigns to finish it, you started something great. :)

Zadam
May 15th, 2006, 07:05
I appoligize for deserting everyone... As a very brief explaination:

1. I went on vacation
2. I got a promotion at work
3. I purchased a Xbox 360
4. I'm having my 4th child in two months so my wife needs more attention than normal

Add all those together, and the sum is that I haven't had any time to play with my PSP in a long while...

If anyone is interested continuing the development, the rev 002 version contains a patch file with all of the diff's for the 0.5.0 UQM source to build for PSP.

After I released 002, I also fixed a minor issue in the psp libc (made malloc and free thread safe) and increased the stack size in the SDL library to prevent a stack overflow. Unfortunately, there are still some other stability issues that I haven't tracked down.

-Sharkus

Welcome back Sharkus! Thank you for giving us a status update. By the way, a big congratulations on your promotion and on your future child.

It is totally understandable that you don't have any time to continue the development on this, and I respect that.

I have no experience in PSP coding, however I've worked as a C/C++ developer for over 3 years now, and would be very interested in taking a shot at continuing the development of UM if you are willing to hand it over to me!

sharkus
May 15th, 2006, 18:11
Feel free to get started. There is a bit of a learning curve but it is fun to get your feet wet with embedded development...

If you want to get started you need to download the PSP development environment from http://ps2dev.org/ (along with SDL, SDL_image, zlib, libpng, libjpeg) and use the patch file from the 002 release to patch the UQM source code.

I recommend using Linux as your development platform as I've found that it builds much faster than cygwin. I also recommend using psplink for running the executable during debug cycles...

I did some additional work on trying to narrow down the remaining stability issues and load performance. I wrote a simple read cache for stdio access, but this seemed to do very little to improve performance. Also, it stability issue is very difficult as it takes quite some time to happen and there is very little data available...

wraggster
May 15th, 2006, 18:16
Congrats on the 4th Child, you and the wife will have plenty to do :)

sharkus
May 19th, 2006, 07:32
Had a bit of time to make some improvements. Things should be considerably more stable now... Grab the latest from the first post in this topic. Have fun!

-Sharkus

SharkFish
May 20th, 2006, 15:23
And thank You again for this great port. This 3rd revision is realy more stable now, have been played a lot before first crash. Great job!!!

Zadam
May 22nd, 2006, 01:30
Thank you very much Sharkus for the 3rd rev, your doing some really great work on this, just want to let you know that there are people out here who really appreciate what you have done, and we get a lot of satisfaction playing this old classic again as a direct result of your efforts! Big pat on that back for you my friend! :)

The only problem I'm still having with the port appears as a result of coming out of sleep mode... Once the PSP has been to sleep and come back, it appears that any planets you visit no longer appear in the viewer... Almost as though the texture isnt being drawn and theres just a "black" sphere where the planet is supposed to be. Same thing happens in the scan-view area, and if you dispatch to the planet.

DeQuosaek
August 10th, 2006, 04:18
I haven't gotten around to trying this out yet, but I stumbled upon this thread while I was reading up on all the PSP homebrew and I have to say...
THANK YOU for doing the work on porting this!

I understand if real life interferes with you continuing work on this.

Star Control II has always been one of my favorite games of all time. The intriguing story line and the massive nature of the game is unique and is part of what makes the game so great. I've played all the way through it back in the day, but after I heard about the Ur-Quan Masters project for the PC, I started playing it again. I can't wait to load up this portable version of it. Even if it has some bugs, I'm sure I'll still enjoy it.

Thanks again.

xnobugx
August 31st, 2006, 10:04
I just want to ditto what the previous poster said. I am so happy to have discovered this port, which as far as I'm aware has received little to no press. Tragic! This is clearly one of the best games ever... not to mention a hallmark of my childhood.

Off to check out the port. Thanks so much for the work, and I'll be checking this forum from time to time to see how you progress.

twrock123
October 25th, 2006, 20:27
It won't load. Freezes at title screen.

RAFFI
November 14th, 2006, 18:03
I am so happy this got ported. Easily one of the top 5 games of alltime I can remember when it 1st came out I had no life for at least 2 months. Rarely have I ever been enthralled in a game such as when i played this for the 1st time. Let's hope Toys for Bob can make a true sequel (SC3 was Crap). I was playing rev 1 forever and it kept crashing, so i installed rev 3 and voila No crashes...Love IT!!

We are not worthy Sharkus! :thumbup:

Flojomojo
January 22nd, 2007, 22:44
Thanks for the port, congratulations on the (4th!) kid!

Is it me, or are the controls quite non-intuitive? I can't move. Am I missing something obvious?

Flojomojo
January 23rd, 2007, 17:10
Nice Work! I like seeing ports like this. I hope one day someone can try to port XCOM: UFO Defense - Anyway, great work!Now that the PSP can play Playstation games you can run that version of X-Com!

I love this port ... an update with optimized loading would be nice, but it works great as is. I didn't quite understand that the shoulder buttons were used for firing weapons. Now that I know that, everything is good!

microchipe
January 23rd, 2007, 17:26
Greetings, Sharkus, great port u have made, thanks.
:thumbup:
I want to know if has any way to pass 'addon' parameters to this homebrew in actual stage, even via config file, because i'm making a translation mod and like to see this running on my psp.
See ya.

onemanassault
January 31st, 2007, 01:49
Amazing....I cant belive nobody is pushing this port...the load times are kind of long and it freezes sometimes but this is awsome...somebody needs to continue this great work!

microchipe
February 4th, 2007, 02:02
hy, all
I've found a way to speed up the game, and it's soo simple: all i did was UNZIP the file 'uqm-0.5.0-content.uqm' (YES, it's an ordinary ZIP file with another extension) in the contents folder with same name of the zipped archive, LITERALLY, with dot and extension.
Works fine with release 003.
That's it. Hope this help you all.
:thumbup:

Flojomojo
February 14th, 2007, 15:01
Thanks for the tip, Microchipe. Unzipping now .... hoping I don't run out of space. It's taking forever because that archive is full of tiny little files.

animall
February 22nd, 2007, 19:08
What exactly do you mean? Create a folder with the name 'uqm-0.5.0-content.uqm' with all the contents in it? That's what I did and the program just kicks me back to xmb when I run it. Any tips?

microchipe
March 2nd, 2007, 11:52
animall, yes, this was what i made.
In my MS, the full path for this "folder trick" is "/psp/game/uqm/content/packages/uqm-0.5.0-content.uqm/" and inside this, the uqm-0.5.0-content.uqm unziped.
For me works nicely. :D Hope this help you. :thumbup:

nattog
March 4th, 2007, 01:03
didnt work for me either. can you give the whole spec; what firmware, version of the program, etc. because after spending an hour and a half unpackig this on my psp it just kicks me out of the game.

microchipe
March 5th, 2007, 03:12
nattog, i've tried this and worked since first time, running PSP Port Rev 002 on firmware 3.03-oeB, but worked too in 3.03-oeC and 3.10-oeA, because i've tested many firmwares on my machine. Then, I've updated to PSP Port Rev 003, and works faster! For clearly see how worked for me, see the shot of the UQM folder on my MemoryStick. Seeya! :thumbup:

animall
March 19th, 2007, 07:20
Wish I could say that worked for me, microchipe

themidgethotel
April 22nd, 2007, 19:00
I've tried ported the game files to my PSP, but they keep comming up as corrupted

DarknessCyShadow
June 3rd, 2007, 17:57
Come on...We -have- to start this...This is something that could make a brilliant port to psp...UQM has a massive fanbase! Why aren't any of them here?

The Privateer
July 22nd, 2007, 05:42
I've been a big fan of Star Control 2 since it first came out ages ago. I stummbled across this port and spent nearly two hours downloading, unzipping, and transfering to my PSP and it will not play.

I get 2 Icons for SC2 in my Game/Memory Stick.

One is the pretty one nice music and background.
(I'm assuming it is the smaller E-boot file from the UGM% dir)

The other one is blank with the corrupt icon and a title of the side saying Corruted Data.
(I'm assuming it is the larger E-boot file from the UQM dir)

Both do not work. I get the same message of
"This game cannot be started.
The data is corrupted."

I have PSP System Software Version 3.51

The SC2 data is all stored on a SanDisk Memory Stick PRO Duo 2GB just the way the Rev 003 Readme file instructed.

I also had put on the optional Voice and Music files as well.

:confused: I would really enjoy being able to play SC2 on my PSP. Could somebody help me? :confused:

If you need more info on my system or setup let me know and I'll provide.

t0mat03
December 7th, 2007, 01:11
The idea of this gaming being on the PSP makes me soooo happy.

I just discovered this game after completing Mass Effect for the 360 and started playing it. I liked it a LOT and I was amazed that the game actually featured good voice acting.

Is this project dead though (for PSP)... if so that sucks!

I'm going to at least try and install Rev 3 on my PSP.

stan22
January 4th, 2008, 21:17
Anybody know how to install addons on uqm-0.5.0-psp_rev003?

Trayz
February 8th, 2008, 22:55
For those new to the homebrew scene, you need to use the 1.5 kernel to play this game. If you have a slim (like me) you can't install 1.5, BUT you can you use something like eLoader. To use the eLoader you will need custom firmware.

Currently I'm on 3.71 M33-4 and I use eLoader to run this game.

Something interesting to note, I am using the uqm 0.6.0 content files (music and voice too) that I downloaded from http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

I was running 0.5.0 and I decided to try the updated content. I just renamed the files and replaced the 0.5.0 uqm files for content, voice, and music.

I've played both and the 0.6.0 content seems to run a tad faster. I've only been playing on the new content for a couple of days, but so far I haven't run into any problems!

Kudos to Sharkus. Mucho thanks for the work!!!!

Now if somebody could just pickup where he left off. ;)

yanosch
April 23rd, 2008, 19:23
Hi, i´m using 0.5.0 version on my slim 3.90 with eloader 2.0 -i can only use the analog stick to move the ship -is it possible to use dpadsen instead?

Overflask
May 15th, 2008, 09:58
HELP!!! After I start the game, it shows a black screen with a VGA arrow on the top left corner and kicks me back to the PSP game selection screen.

I'm running fat psp with 3.52 M33 firmware and a 4GB Sony Memorystick Pro Duo with 384MB left.

Please help!!!
Thanks

FARSLAYER
May 25th, 2008, 15:45
Wondering if anyone has done any work on this for higher firmwares(stability).

Jahavad
June 22nd, 2008, 05:25
Hi i have liked this game since I played it in 2001, and now i see there is a psp port i am extremely exited. I have it on my psp with the 0.60 stuff on it and my psp is 3.90m33-2 and under game150 folder and it works great no load time problems. however the only thing that needs to be changed is the option to configure the controls. any ideas on how to do so?

BloodLust8
June 22nd, 2008, 22:41
Thats just uber cool!

chasx003
October 22nd, 2008, 00:10
sorry to bring up an old thread, but does anyone know how to run this on a slim running 4.01 m33-2 ? a tutorial\semi detailed instructoins would be nice, i'm new to this... thanks

goatsaplenty
October 26th, 2008, 02:29
u rule thank you so much

sharkus
October 27th, 2008, 06:31
New version updated at top post. Enjoy.

-Sharkus

chasx003
October 27th, 2008, 20:35
hmm, mine crashes under the super mele mode at the screen that displays all the ships that are about to battle. anyone else have this problem? (with the new version, i have 4.01 m33-2

sharkus
October 27th, 2008, 22:21
Oops... I didn't actually try super melee mode yet... I'll take a look when I have a chance.

-Sharkus

sharkus
October 28th, 2008, 04:14
Looks like super melee mode is causing a stack overflow. I'll get that fixed in the next rev.

goatsaplenty
October 30th, 2008, 06:12
Does unziping it realy work mine just boots me out when i try to play it unziped??

sharkus
October 30th, 2008, 07:26
I've heard unzipping makes it faster, but there are just too many files for me... From the source code, it looks like you need to unzip the .uqm file directly into the content directory...

8utt3rs
October 30th, 2008, 15:19
WOW!!!

Can's believe my eyes!!

Just one simple stupid question

Will the old version savegames compatible with 0.6 version??

goatsaplenty
October 31st, 2008, 06:27
how do you use 6.2 rev ? dont you have to unzip it or just put it in packages folder?

sharkus
November 1st, 2008, 04:38
I just posted an update that should fix Melee mode. Also, after digging through the code I was able to make some very large improvements to the speed when using the uqm (i.e. zip) files.

-Sharkus

[edit] For those curious the initial load time for the 0.6.2 rev 01 was about 60 sec (from the Sony vsh). Rev 02 takes only 22 sec.

fwiffo81
November 9th, 2008, 14:55
Version 0.6.2 rev2

vanilla, just installed with content as described here.

firmware 4.01 m33-2

it just crashes and exits the game if I try to enter in "SETUP" from main window, just when you enter the game

edit: the same happens in 5.00 m33-3

sharkus
November 9th, 2008, 16:02
Are you using the zipped content? Can you send me a list of the sub-directories and files you have in your UQM directory?

Also, are you using a slim or fat psp?

fwiffo81
November 10th, 2008, 17:01
Ok, I've seen by myself that I was using previous content O_O I didn't notice that I didn't copy new content O_O
by loosing some minutes myself I would have noticed it! gosh! sorry :P

After changing content and changing version in "version" in content directory I noticed that all worked all right.

Sorry again! :(

edit again: previous content was 0.5.0

new content is: 0.6.0

in version in PSP\GAME\UQM\CONTENT there was: 0.5.0
I changed it to: 0.6.0

now it works...

sharkus
November 10th, 2008, 17:36
Great. I'm happy to hear it is working...

Nadersith
November 12th, 2008, 14:07
Hi guys... Nice work Sharkus...

My question is... how about spanish translation? Is the port able to load addon pack? (The same to Remix packs)

Thanks

sharkus
November 12th, 2008, 15:33
It should work. If not, let me know.

goatsaplenty
November 13th, 2008, 07:05
Have ever thought about fallout 1or2 just wondering?

Nadersith
November 14th, 2008, 23:09
No, it doesn't. Well, I don't know if you can load them, because on PC you have to write some lines in the shortcut, but on PSP port you don't have any executable!

So I put my uqm addon files on Addons folder, and it does nothing :S

KBB
December 4th, 2008, 10:53
Thank you very much for this port. Starcontrol II is one of my all time favorites and the work you´ve done to port the Ur-Quan Masters to the psp is awesome!!

Serosis
January 13th, 2009, 05:15
No, it doesn't. Well, I don't know if you can load them, because on PC you have to write some lines in the shortcut, but on PSP port you don't have any executable!

So I put my uqm addon files on Addons folder, and it does nothing :S

It should work if it's 0.6.2, just change the settings in-game. if that doesn't work, combine the remix packs into one and use it as the main 3do music package.

lxcainxl
January 15th, 2009, 05:48
Experiencing massive slowdown when talking to Fwiffo on Pluto. I tried removing the voice pack, but it made no difference (beyond lack of voice). Ran at 333 Mhz, no change. Most of the dialog runs acceptably anywhere else.

Running PSP Slim and 4.01 M33-2 (I believe), Lexar 8GB Mem Stick Pro Duo.
UQM 0.62 (rev 002) for PSP and 0.60 content, voice and 3domusic packages.

Not sure if anyone else has ever had this problem. :(

Any ideas?

Jinx1337
January 16th, 2009, 22:46
Hey Sharkus!
I can see that you finally made an update! Thank you very, very much - I really appreciate it!

Here are some suggestions I mentioned while we mailed each other some while ago:

a) saving the game doesn't work while in hyperspace or the satelite's shipyard. The list shows up blank, and if you attempt to save, the slot you choose gets corrupted.

b) the game could really use a GUI keyboard for star-system search. There are about 3 GUI "middleware" keyboard systems already written for the PSP, so it shouldn't be much hassle. Danzeff OSK for example?

And could we have that pretty icon with music back please?

Not pushing or anything, just friendly suggesting things to update whenever you have some free time to waste for us.

Thanks you one more time. I really love and appreciate your work.

Jinx1337
January 24th, 2009, 13:47
I hated that empty icon in the newest two releases, so I modified Sharkus's eboot and added PIC1, ICON0 and SOUND from the previous ones.

Hope he's not mad with me, heh.

Here you go everyone:

R02 release with XMB icon/bg/sound.

Jinx1337
January 24th, 2009, 13:49
Somehow the file dissapeared.

Here it is again.

Just overwrite R02's eboot with this one.

Nethog
February 27th, 2009, 00:11
I downloaded uqm-0.6.2-psp_rev002.zip and copied the UQM directory to my PSP as instructed. I also added the following package files to the packages directory:
uqm-0.6.0-content.uqm
uqm-0.6.0-3domusic.uqm
uqm-0.6.0-voice.uqm

I also edited the version file as mentioned in a recent post:

in PSP\GAME\UQM\CONTENT there was: 0.5.0
I changed it to: 0.6.0

When I try to run the game I get the error:
This game cannot be started. The data is corrupted.

I am running PSP OS version 5.03.

Can anyone suggest ways I can make the game work?

Thanks
Nethog

Jinx1337
February 27th, 2009, 10:59
You don't need to change the filenames with the newest version. They all work without renaming.

And seems like you have the OFFICIAL 5.03 firmware installed on the PSP. You need a hacked, M33 Custom Firmware installed.

Google for more info.

Retroprof
May 9th, 2009, 10:01
What speed should it be unpacking the voice files?

When I first encounter the probe it takes 3-5 seconds before the dialogue screen pops up.

Just wanted to check if this is normal...?