PDA

View Full Version : Is Microsoft Working on an Answer to the DS, PSP, iPhone?

wraggster
May 15th, 2009, 20:30
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/05/xboxportable.jpg

Team Xbox is reporting that Microsoft is in the final design stages of a new digital entertainment handheld, one that would feature Live Anywhere and blur the lines between the Xbox 360 and Zune.

Reached for comment today, Microsoft reiterated that they have been saying since January that they will have new hardware and software for the Zune this year, but that they're not giving out any details yet.

The device, codenamed xYz, is said to offer both gaming and media playback as well as internet connectivity, but no phone.

"Although the Microsoft handheld is definitely a converged device, this is not a Zune Phone." The source added: "Microsoft won't compete with its Windows Mobile customers."

Rumors of Microsoft expanding their Zune device to be more competitive with the iPhone and portable gaming devices have been circling for quite awhile. And Microsoft is certainly still working on Live Anywhere.

When I spoke with Microsoft's Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb during PAX last year he said it was still being worked on and Microsoft mentioned it at last year's Electronic Gaming Summit, very briefly.

Maybe this is the hold up? It would certainly give Microsoft something else to talk about at E3 later this month.

http://kotaku.com/5256087/is-microsoft-working-on-an-answer-to-the-ds-psp-iphone

wraggster
May 15th, 2009, 20:31
tell you what that made up design above looks ruddy awesome :P

apex05
May 15th, 2009, 20:46
God i hope Microsoft does make it, i can guarantee they'll make more effort getting decent games on than Sony does.

wraggster
May 15th, 2009, 20:50
yeah i would love a decent handheld console for RPS games

mike_jmg
May 15th, 2009, 22:27
I would really like to see it happen

and I guess they wont hold back with the two analog sticks.

osgeld
May 15th, 2009, 23:47
I would like to see it happen too

but microsoft is used to making big powerhungry heavy and HOT running machines for video games, most of the development in windows mobile hardware are not achievements of MS, and the zune is honestly "put a ice pick in my brain" slow

so it will be interesting to see what they come out with

i dont doubt that they could do it, or rather buy out someone to do it, but i see a render with GTA4 on it, while here in reality land GTA4 requires a heafty metal box that runs so hot it was constantly self destructing while sucking wattage like water in the desert

apex05
May 16th, 2009, 00:25
Strip the screen resolution and textures you don't need for a handheld game and the hardware does exist to make a portable GTA4, and remember Microsoft is an American company and the American ethos is to just put a big V8 processor under the hood and hope it doesn't explode.

User Name
May 16th, 2009, 02:55
Make Halo for it and I'm sold!

kaferenza
May 16th, 2009, 09:30
I want one, just without the xbox button in the center of the D-Pad :p

noname1
May 16th, 2009, 23:18
Hmmm it would be awesome to play pc games on a handheld altough this concept looks uncomfortable.

pspmodandcfw
May 17th, 2009, 16:30
nice release

silverstein101
May 17th, 2009, 23:23
if it is real, i betcha 5 bucks that it has a hardware problem

Shadowblind
May 17th, 2009, 23:41
Almost confirmed...project xYz has been reported by multiple sources.

Rumor is that its more then powerful enough to play Xbox 1 games. If it really can emulate an Xbox 1, think of all the possible homebrew if cracked :D

BonBoni
May 19th, 2009, 05:46
I want one - very cool! How long before released--anyone know? :confused: