PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast is having problems reading discs.

disgorge
March 19th, 2006, 18:28
I bought a used Dreamcast the other day at a local game store and it has been acting weird since. After extended playing (maybe 30 minutes to an hour), the laser will start to go berserk making a lot of noise and the games will cease to play. If i try to turn the console off and load another game (or the same one for that matter) it will do the same thing. After leaving the Dreamcast alone for a little while it will read games again. This doesn't happen all the time, however, because sometimes I am able to play for hours with no problems. I'm guessing that this is either an overheating issue or something to do with the laser itself. I've done an obscene amount of searching on Google and have failed to find anyone who has had this exact problem. Any help would be much apreciated and thanks in advance.

Lazie_Gamer
March 20th, 2006, 00:31
Sounds like a cooling system problem, cause apparantley that sometimes happens on the thin ps2, which has a terrible cooling system. the dreamcast has a great cooling system however, so there is probably something wrong with it. Probably worth taking appart and checking out!

disgorge
March 20th, 2006, 04:33
Yeah, that's what I figured. I guess I'm just looking for a nudge in the right direction so I'm not going in there blindly. Honestly, it is not a big deal right now, but I have a feeling it may be the precursor to a more serious hardware problem.

Darksaviour69
March 20th, 2006, 13:06
you can get some good hardware tutorials here
http://www.consolevision.com/members/fackue/
but it seems to be down right now