PDA

View Full Version : When Does It Become OK To Make Games About a War?

wraggster
May 16th, 2009, 10:04
The cancellation of Six Days in Fallujah seems to have stirred up almost as much debate as its original announcement. Given the popularity of World War II games, it seems clear that the main concern about a game focusing on modern war events relates to how recently they happened. Kotaku takes a look at some of the obstacles such a game would need to overcome to achieve broad acceptance.
"When approaching a game that realistically depicts a modern combat situation, one criticism that often arises is the subject of fun. Can a realistic military shooter be fun? According to Ian Bogost, that's the wrong question to ask. 'We use the word fun as a placeholder, when we don't even really know what we mean when we look for some sort of enjoyment in a serious experience,' he said. Fun and entertainment aren't mutually exclusive, especially when it comes to entertainment based on real-world military conflicts. As Bogost explains, fun isn't the key word in this situation. 'It may not be possible to make a realistic war game that is fun — war is not fun — but it is possible to create an experience that is informative, appealing, and startling in a positive way.'"

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/05/16/0324215

kaferenza
May 17th, 2009, 04:35
Yeah, having to do things like blow the brains out of a six year old little girl who has been given a loaded gun and to run for your life continuously because you signed up for your countries tyrannical military simply because you needed the money and you couldn't find a job because the economy is in the tank is definitely "an experience that is informative, appealing, and startling in a positive way". No, I'm not being country specific in that line. All war is foolish. War is the last resort effort of a country who's weak minded rulers cannot solve things humanely through their words and their wisdom. I cannot understand for the life of me how anyone gets their jollies playing any war simulation game, if they enjoy it so much why not just sign up? Alas, to each his/her own. Not my cup of tea but honestly if people want to play these games and publish this game then all power to them. I will not stand in their way.

Eviltaco64
May 17th, 2009, 14:44
All war is foolish. War is the last resort effort of a country who's weak minded rulers cannot solve things humanely through their words and their wisdom.

But war is also necessary. Say a country is trying to invade another one. I really don't think the invaders are going to sit down and talk with them. :P

kaferenza
May 18th, 2009, 05:06
Tis true in a defensive manor. Perhaps I should have been more specific in that.:o

JDvorak
May 18th, 2009, 17:27
War is going to happen people cannot get along ever! Started in the Bible with Cain killing Able. God foretells of it in Revelations. The upcoming Armageddon, the Apocalypse, the end of the world. But portraying it realistically in a video game is just wrong. We have too many adult games our kids get ahold of without it being modern war. It was fine back in the 80's with the Strategic Simulation Inc. (aka SSI) computer games as they were more like board games. The bookshelf games they put out years before and were still in the stores then. That is a different way of playing, more Risk like. But these new games are too violent!

armyStrong
May 19th, 2009, 00:27
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum."
-Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that wars are only fought because of "weak minded rulers [who] cannot solve things humanely through their words and their wisdom." In fact, I would say that some of the greatest leaders in history have shined brightest in the light of the wars in which they fought. Patton, Eisenhower, George-Friggin'-Washington...I'm pretty sure that each of these men would give a much different opinion on war than what you've presented.

It is absolutely ridiculous and naive to blanket label all wars as "foolish." In fact, it's downright insulting to those of us who have chosen to risk our well-being to try and keep the world safe as members of the world's armed forces. I certainly didn't join for the money.

War games are fun for the same reason that Nascar is fun. Watching things move quickly with an occasional explosion can be damn good entertainment. The stories help too. Everyone loves to be the hero, and war games give you that chance to accomplish incredible feats of bravery from the comfort of your own room.