PDA

View Full Version : FileAssistant++ Updated

wraggster
March 20th, 2006, 02:55
An entry in the Neoflash Coding Comp (http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/board,37.0.html), heres the details:

71M posted this:

Hi,
Here's my entry for the Neo Spring Coding Contest!
It's a small application that I wrote a while back, just thought I'd enter it on the off chance that someone finds it useful!

Features

FileAssistant++ is a multimedia file browser that allows you to browse
any file on the PSP filesystem (memory stick, flash, umd) and any remote
file located on a FTP server thru Wifi.

While conencted to a computer (PC, Mac,...) using the USB wire, it is possible
to browse and update the files located on the PSP memory stick from the computer.

More than browsing the file, FA++ can :
- Display any pictures (PNG, BMP, TGA, JPG)
- Listen to any music file (OGG, MP3, SID, SAP, SC68, YM, NSF, AHX, MOD) with
DSP effects and spectrum display
- Playback any video file (AVI, MPEG, MOV)
- Display text files (ASCII TXT)
- Run Flash files (SWF)
- Run PSP homebrew applications (ELF, EBOOT.PBP) and go back to FA++ while exiting
- Run any UMD (umd:/SYSDIR/EBOOT.BIN) and go back to FA++ while exiting
- Run any Lua scripts (LUA) and go back to FA++ while exiting
- Classic file operations (delete, move, copy, create directory, rename,...)
- Fully customisable, use one of the skin pack or create yourself!

Heres whats new in this release:

There have been a couple of updates since Novemeber which I've not released in FA++ before this release.

1) MP3 playback has been greatly improved and now allows playback of any size mp3 file.
2) The SWF player has been updated to use the source code from my Flash Player project.

Quite a few bugs have also been fixed since then as well.

Download and Screenshot Via Comments, leave Feedback

Gene
March 20th, 2006, 03:31
This is probably the most usefull app I've seen.

Good job!

oninotsume
March 20th, 2006, 03:45
Sorry I might be missing something here, but how does the file (mp3, etc.) playback work?

Nevermind I see. He says it plays any audio file, but it doesn't play (mp4a) :mad:

Kind of a neat program nonetheless.

bizarre
March 20th, 2006, 04:27
This is one of the most important programs, thank you 71m

lplover2k
March 20th, 2006, 05:11
hey does it work on 2.01??? it sounds very good...does it play wma???

rnlmatsudai
March 20th, 2006, 05:16
where do i put these files and does it work with ver. 2.5?
sry jus got it yesterday and i have no idea how to work anything.
its jap version btw.

Red Falcon
March 20th, 2006, 05:21
Good to see this isnt forgotten about I just wish he'd work on the audio playback while playing MOV files and on ffw and rwnd and zoom functions. If this is continued to be work on it can be one of psp best homebrew app.

idapimp
March 20th, 2006, 05:28
excellent. very very useful

caseyhalone
March 20th, 2006, 05:45
this app is killer. suprised this is the first time I have seen it. I want to make this my default "dashboard" (I play with xboxes alot)

Any chance on mixing this with universal remote, the afkim, and psp radio?

So far this gets my vote for best app for sure. Anyone want to start a fan club?

Illegal Machine
March 20th, 2006, 05:57
this app is killer. suprised this is the first time I have seen it. I want to make this my default "dashboard" (I play with xboxes alot)

Any chance on mixing this with universal remote, the afkim, and psp radio?

So far this gets my vote for best app for sure. Anyone want to start a fan club?

Well, in addition to being able to dump the contents of any UMD. this app can also run any eboot and return to its own menu afterward. so YOU can pretty much add whatever you want to it already

KILLER update 71M WAY faster, than the last one. I mean a LOT faster somehow

kaoss-b
March 20th, 2006, 06:10
I think this app was great, but now it's really amazing!!

Excellent work

lplover2k
March 20th, 2006, 06:38
does it work on 2.01 plz??? someone tried??? if i try it can i brick my psp if it is not compatible???

b8a
March 20th, 2006, 08:05
71M, Gee, I hope you read these... But, thanks a bunch for this program. One thing I've been hoping for since I first got this program a few months back is an improved on-screen keyboard. Most notably, I think the keyboard really, really needs a "%" key so that we can use it to manually add the corrupted folder hide trick in the real PSP browser.

Thanks again. Can't wait for some improvements in the flash player!

idapimp
March 20th, 2006, 09:11
im not sure bout 2.01+, but it shouldnt brick the PSP unless you go into the root of the psp and start deleting stuff out of the flash folders (if you can). but youd have to be pretty retarded to do that. excellent app. if only the mp3 player would go to the next mp3 file in the folder automatically instead of replaying it. and better yet...if it read ID3 tags.

idapimp
March 20th, 2006, 09:20
actually to fix my previous statement. i just tried and it wont let you touch any of the firmware files so it should be totally safe no matter how dumb anyone is. awesome idiot-proof programming. thx again. this thing rules.

lplover2k
March 20th, 2006, 09:22
lol ok i will try it then...

Shazz
March 20th, 2006, 10:16
Sorry boys,

FA++ will NEVER work on PSP FW > 1.5. We use a lot of kernel tricks & stuff (USB, memory usage, ELF loader, UMD loader, exit handler,...).

So yes, we could a day release a useless version which runs on 2.01+ but the major (cool) features will be disabled.

---------------------------
Shazz - FA++ co-author.

cancan
March 20th, 2006, 10:53
The avi playback seems ok but slow. I would like to test it fullspeed and I assume that it should work better with the speed set to 333.
Is there any option to do so in the program or do I need another tool to do it? If I will need another tool, can someone please give me the name (or link) of one?

For the rest it's definitively one of my "must have" app. Thank you guys.

PSPh4ck3rCMD
March 20th, 2006, 10:53
nice great work realy usefull

The_Ultimate_Eggman
March 20th, 2006, 13:25
AWSOME !!! maybe add pc browsing in next version ?? and launch ISO's off PC HDD
edit:I am all for PC browsing, but dont make request relating to running ISO's like that in these forums
-1time

Cap'n 1time
March 20th, 2006, 14:47
AWSOME !!! maybe add pc browsing in next version ??
edit:I am all for PC browsing, but dont make request relating to running ISO's like that in these forums
-1time

like eggman says, FTP support would be kind of nice.

Eleetist
March 20th, 2006, 14:59
This app is indeed great, but the two very generic avi files I've tried crashed my PSP, so the claim that it can run any video file is a bit off. Great for MP3s and other stuff and if it receives enough work, attention and functionality, it could become the definitive homebrew program. Keep up the great work.

grin.ch
March 20th, 2006, 15:34
does the flashplayer actually play flash games now or does the progress bar still freeze at the last segment?

And yes, I do agree - this program is one of the sickest homebrews I've seen. I use it all the time to rename files and move songs around and whatnot. This program shows more than you see when you are connected via USB. (I.e., Flash memory and stuff...)

Keep up the good work, 71M!! You rulz.

b8a
March 20th, 2006, 21:06
I haven't been able to find any increased capabilities with the flash player so far. In fact, despite the still limited capabilities of 71M's standalone version, I was able to get a couple of files to work in that one that locked up the PSP in this one.

71M
March 20th, 2006, 21:42
Hi guys,
Thank you for all your support! :D

b8a: FA++ does take up more memory than the standalone player, so I'm guessing you've run out of memory? Keep in mind that the SWF player is still far from finished! :p

Cheers,
71M

urherenow
March 20th, 2006, 22:57
Awesome :) I keep this right next to IRshell in my homebrew list. Keep it up!

You know what we still need though? The ability to launch any region UMD movies without having to make an ISO first...

Anger
March 20th, 2006, 23:29
this sounds like a begging post but it isnt.
has anyone got an xvid video to run using this version of fileassistant? if not i was wondering if adding codec support would be possible - most videos use xvid now and fileassistant wont touch the videos i have because of it, the sound plays but no video. is this the same for anyone else?

one small thing i noticed is that you can now no longer write to the flash1 with this version - i know this is because of the risk of damage but could it be re-added with maybe a huge warning or something in the future?

anyway this is becoming, and already is, a very very usefull program. well done. :)

Hawkeyefile
March 21st, 2006, 02:31
one of the best apps aver, just a little buggy.

b8a
March 21st, 2006, 09:39
71M, thanks for the tip. I know that the flash module still has a long way to go, so I'd hate to ask you for any sort of detailed technical information about it's capabilities at this point, but a lot of people have reported being able to watch animated shorts on this, and I'm still having problems getting short (very short - 200 frames, 256k file size) animations and small (very small - less than 40k) files to work reliably. I work natively in vector graphics, so I tend to use flash for displaying fairly complex vector illustrations, but no matter how detailed or complex, the average file size is usually around 16k. Are there any vector rendering limitations that I need to keep in mind?

71M
March 21st, 2006, 17:28
Yup, there are quite a few restrictions with this Flash player.
I think the problem you are seeing is that the vector graphics are just too complicated for the player to display.
Have you tried 'optimizing' the vectors at all? I think it's probably getting stuck in the triangulation stage (which is particularly slow and memory intensive!).
There are a few animations here http://www.easy-monkey.co.uk/SWF/ which work relatively well. Maybe you can see how these animations are written and use similar methods?

It's pretty difficult for me to get every animation on the internet working for the PSP! :D

Cheers,
71M

71M
March 21st, 2006, 17:31
like eggman says, FTP support would be kind of nice.
FTP support is in this build, just browse back as far as you can go in the folder view and you should see your wireless connections (if you have any setup). Clicking on any of these will start the FTP setup sequence.
Check out the main FileAssistant++ (http://tmpstore.free.fr/FileAssistant/) website for more information on getting this setup.

Cheers,
71M

b8a
March 22nd, 2006, 12:31
Thanks again for all the information! And the link to the FA++ board. Now that I've checked it out and know there's more keys available by pressing the L/R buttons, I feel stupid for requesting the already present "%" key ('o')

Keep up the good work!

Cloud_35
April 3rd, 2006, 17:41
So, with this I'm able to extract (for example) a song of the UMD that is included with the PSP?? :confused:

71M
April 3rd, 2006, 18:53
Well, you can browse and copy files from a UMD, yeah.
Whether you'll be able to do anything with those files afterwards depends on what the files are :D

Cheers,
71M

RedKing14CA
April 3rd, 2006, 19:48
SWEET app 71M... i think its near perfect...

the only thing i want is a mouse used witht he Analog Nub... and maybe a desktop with some shortcuts... :D

But that would probably take alot of work, so just keep up the good stuff! it PWNZ!!

TEAL DRAGON128
May 4th, 2006, 04:19
This may be a dumb question

Is it possible to add the firmware 2.0 web browser to 1.5fw by copying and pasting certain files?

Im just curious...

71M
May 4th, 2006, 20:56
Hi TEAL_DRAGON_128,
Unfortunately that isn't possible :(
Believe me if it was possible FA++ would be doing it already! :D

Thanks for your comment.

Cheers,
71M

jaws365
May 6th, 2006, 00:48
Ah, I dig Fileassistant!! Reminds me of Filemaster on Amiga. It would be great with a playlist for music files also.

Greets!

IveGotThePawa
May 6th, 2006, 02:50
This looks very cool.

Unfortunatly, I've read that it doesn't work on firmware 2.0+ ?

I have also read that is is due to some Kernel functions that are blocked by the newest firmware... So does this mean that I will never be able to download a file manager that works on my 2.0 without having to downgrade it to 1.5 ?

Thanks for the info

Pawa

Anger
May 6th, 2006, 12:13
i dont know if this version works on 2.0 but some of the older versions do definetly work on 2.0.

Xi0N
May 8th, 2006, 11:43
I have fw 2.50 and IT WORKS
Great work ;)

IveGotThePawa
May 8th, 2006, 15:39
i dont know if this version works on 2.0 but some of the older versions do definetly work on 2.0.

This new version does work now on the 2.0. But you have to use the 0.9 eBoot loader, not the 0.95

Great job guys!

Xfacter
May 10th, 2006, 00:18
I have fw 2.50 and IT WORKS
Great work ;)

How? :confused:

Xi0N
May 10th, 2006, 07:02
GTA + Fanjita loader ;)

techne
May 24th, 2006, 04:23
please implement song selection withen chip files.
also i can only get ym/sid/sap/nsf working.
sc68 has not worked at all for me and sndh is a much more popular format too.

71M
May 24th, 2006, 19:23
Hi Techne,
Yes, that would be a nice feature to include in FA++.
Could you post your comments in our official forums, that way all members of FA++ will receive your requests! :D

http://tmpstore.free.fr/FileAssistant/

Cheers,
71M

The Dark Dragon
June 29th, 2006, 15:57
It just says 'Cannot start this game, data is corrupted' for me. Any ideas?

yugifan156
July 13th, 2006, 19:38
Looks great but are you going to realease a version for 2.6 soon

Jmax
August 8th, 2006, 16:40
Can you delete file with this too?

NoQuarter
August 8th, 2006, 16:58
Yes

DoofDilla
August 11th, 2006, 00:27
thank you very much for your fine work! this app is not only very usefull, but looks sweet as well.

and also thank you much more for making it skinnable. with custom firmware to autostart fileassistant, the psp has become alot better

keep up the good work

mastersho
August 20th, 2006, 15:20
Yes this is a nice app.if you combined both this app and the ir shell app you would have the greatest app for the psp of all time(at least that's would i think). good work and i hope to see an update soon *hint hint*

Baboon
August 20th, 2006, 16:50
This is a very useful app! :)

Is there a way to quit out of the program without reseting the machine?

Pchery
August 24th, 2006, 09:36
where do i put the files?

-=me=-
October 10th, 2006, 01:49
put files in "game" folder

sweet app. SWF player may not be as good as sony's, but it's great being able to videos and photos 1.5 and most psps can't

Tonx_9
November 16th, 2006, 07:19
awsomeness

ACID
November 16th, 2006, 07:39
This is probably one of the best apps period.

amarali456
December 15th, 2006, 22:14
when I downloadeded and i don't know how to put on my psp? can everyone help to me please!!!! this is my email [email protected]

Thanks mates

pt9087
December 15th, 2006, 22:49
i have a problem. i am on holiday with just my psp. i need a app that will extract .rar and .zip. but still... how wud i extract an app with no pc?

anthonyc4423
February 8th, 2007, 23:54
how do i put .rar files on the psp?

Camelot
February 9th, 2007, 03:12
This is a great app, but when I tryed playing my .avi, all it gave me was the sound and a black screen? any help?

Camelot
February 9th, 2007, 03:32
how do i put .rar files on the psp?
lol, use win rar to extract the .rar file and then put the two folders in the correct spot in your memory card.

i have a problem. i am on holiday with just my psp. i need a app that will extract .rar and .zip. but still... how wud i extract an app with no pc?
Who cares about extracting an app with no pc, how are you going to download it? the psp cant download things can it?

trafo
June 2nd, 2007, 23:31
This is a very useful app! :)

Is there a way to quit out of the program without reseting the machine?
Hi, do you get answer for your question? I have the same problem. How to quit ? The reboot not working on my 3.40OE-A PSP. I always have to hardreset...
Any idea?

dragzman
June 22nd, 2007, 17:36
Where do i put the files after ia use WINRAR