PDA

View Full Version : EA says no to Sega making a NFL game

Eric
December 27th, 2004, 12:20
I just decided to put this news in cause i thought people would be wanting a NFL 2k game. Well i heard from a buddy of mine from the Xbox Scene that it might just be for this year cause EA has a licenses to NFL and said that Sega cannot make a NFL game. So thats right the personal fans of Sega Sports games will have to go to EA for NFL. This sucks but atleast we will have NHL 2k5 made by Sega and Sega Sports games rock and EA sucks.

Eric

WHurricane16
December 27th, 2004, 17:51
For better clarification: *NFL & NFLPA have given has an exclusive agreement with EA Sports. *ESPN/SEGA/Visual Concepts can still create a football game, but it will be without the actual players and teams. *Say hello Phoenix, Charlotte, and East Rutherford :P

This sets a dangerous precedent, and I ****ing doubt this will last long. *Public backlash should be horredous.

EDIT: *Let me back up a bit. *I truly think public outcry will not change anything because it's been obvious gamers are sheep. *I still don't think this exclusive agreement will last past 2 seasons.

Eric
December 27th, 2004, 17:54
Yeah i am not to sure either i just got the info from a buddy but if EA has rights and they are allowed to do this it will happen. Doesnt matter how much people love NFL 2k games cause this will just be away for EA to push there games to people but it will not work for me.

Eric

mh777
December 27th, 2004, 18:14
CFL 2k6, here we come! :D

Seriously, though...I doubt that the majority of the general gaming public will care if Madden's the only game in town. I mean, it (admittedly) has been the bigger brand name amongst the mainstream consumer for years, and that's how EA likes it. With their exclusive deal with the NFL, they're now guaranteeing that fact. Personally, if it were up to me, we'd all still be playing Tecmo Bowl and using Bo Jackson to rack up yards like no tomorrow. :D

Oh, and I had to change the subject title a bit...you don't mind, right? ;)

Alexvrb
December 27th, 2004, 20:41
They couldn't stand a little competition, which is what Sega was giving them with their lower priced, better titles. So at least on the football front, they will now totally dominate the market, which is what they desire most.

Eric
December 27th, 2004, 23:08
Alot of people now prefer the 2k games more the EA i think the word might get out to more people. I talk to my friends now and they used to be big fans of the EA games i just recently talked to one and he said he might possibly get a 2k game not just cause they really kicked on the dreamcast but just from hearing alot from me and magazines that the 2k games are alot better then the EA games. If EA takes NFL away from Sega so what EA can make money from the NFL games and Sega can rank in more money selling NHL 2k and other 2k games. EA is flunking bad in sports games now a days.

Eric

Mental2k
December 28th, 2004, 07:50
Their fifa series isnt too bad, thats real football, soccer to the yanks, but the exclusivity wont last long, just look at tomb raider, sega had an exclusive deal for a while on the first one, that lasted about a month, then sony got an exclusive deal for a few, but by the time it came to the forth one, everyone had tomb raider again, unfortunately.

Eric
December 28th, 2004, 13:07
I heard alot about the Tomb Raiders game and one of the Tomb Raiders games was made by Crave software i believe not to sure but they said they will never run to them again cause of the horrible graphics display cause the games could have done so much better on the next gen systems

MetaFox
December 28th, 2004, 13:31
The first Tomb Raider was great. The problem was, they never improved the engine for the sequels. They just kept putting out the same game year after year.

Kind of like Madden. ;)

Eric
December 28th, 2004, 13:39
Yeah thats what i mean they did that with the next gen systems and the one game and i think last one they made for the next gen systems was a flop and didn't sell cause many people like me thought it could have done so much better but thats cause they ran to the wrong company to produce this game after noticing the game was exactly the same in graphics as N64,PS1 and Dreamcast versions they decided to run to another company

Sorry i have to run cause i have to pick up a new monitor for my other pc so i couldnt edit this message i hope you all understand

Thanks

Eric

Mental2k
December 28th, 2004, 15:14
Disnt Core make all of them?

Eric
December 28th, 2004, 18:14
not to sure but i do remember one year Eidos hired another company to help out for the next gen systems and the company they hired made a flop and Eidos said they were sorry for what happened and also said they will never get help with them again

Mental2k
December 30th, 2004, 16:09
Meh tomb raider turned into just another franchise after a while, they should have got someone like Raven to do, real great level designers, and got a ready made engine, like unreal, or half-life 2's source engine, then they could make a real go of a new tomb raider, but as it stands it was jus churning out the same old rehashed bollocks every year.

Mental2k
December 30th, 2004, 16:10
woo bollocks isnt censored.

curt_grymala
December 31st, 2004, 03:48
They couldn't stand a little competition, which is what Sega was giving them with their lower priced, better titles. So at least on the football front, they will now totally dominate the market, which is what they desire most.

It's funny you say that. I hadn't seen the Sega NFL games since 2K2 came out for the DC, and I'd never seen them on other consoles. Then, the other day, my stepson decided to spend his Christmas money at Circuit City. He found NFL 2K5 for his PS2 for $19.99 and picked it up. He hasn't stopped playing it since he got it. Keep in mind, he got Madden 2005 from his grandmother for Christmas. However, he's happier with NFL 2K5, which was less than half the price. I must also say that I'm really impressed with the way the game looks and plays.
Let's hope that Sega continues to work on their engine, whether they're allowed to use the NFL copyrights and trademarks or not.

Eric
December 31st, 2004, 06:52
Hey i defenitly hope so aswell cause i have NFL 2k2 for the dreamcast and damn its one rocken football game. Even though i am no good at the game its good to have 3 other people playing and they sit back and have fun with it and it just makes me have fun cause of them.

Now this maybe the last game i am not to sure how many years EA is with NFL for my buddy said for a few years i dont know but EA cant do this to us cause Sega's Sports games rock even now that they have ESPN helping them out.

I also noticed when they werent working with each other ESPN and Sega had some pretty simularities to there games and that was probably the reason for them working with each other.

Eric

Alexvrb
December 31st, 2004, 09:55
Let's hope that Sega continues to work on their engine, whether they're allowed to use the NFL copyrights and trademarks or not.I'm sure VC will stay on top of their game, so to speak. Who knows, maybe we will see more college football now. ;D

Darksaviour69
January 4th, 2005, 04:18
i'm a bit late on this topic, but i few points;

Core have made all the tomb raider games, but they will not being making any more after the flop of last one, eidos has give the title to Crystal Dynamics to work on. but in think the team at core is not the same as it was 10 years ago, ( the guy that came up with tomb raider left after the first game, and the only game he has worked on since is gallon)

pro evo is 10x better than any fifa game that have ever player

and SWWS on the saturn is my fav football/soccer game

;D

Mental2k
January 7th, 2005, 11:12
yeah SWWS was real good, I knew I was right about Tomb Raider! The big Lara Croft Nerd I am (not) ::)