PDA

View Full Version : Kojima feels the pressure to continue Metal Gear

wraggster
May 20th, 2009, 19:56
Metal Gear maestro wants to stick to bigger projects and cutting-edge tech

Hideo Kojima has candidly expressed the pressure placed on him to continue working on the Metal Gear franchise.

Even after essentially retiring Solid Snake in MGS4, Kojima tells Develop in an interview published today that “there’s absolutely pressure” to continue working on the Metal Gear games.

“Maybe if I quit Konami that pressure might be a bit better,” he said, “but since Konami handles the business side of our operations, yeah, there’s definitely a demand continue a series as successful as Metal Gear.”

Kojima also explained that he wants to keep working on big-budget titles that push hardware.

“Someone asked me earlier if I’d consider making a smaller game now that I’ve finished a project as massive as Metal Gear Solid 4,” he said.

“My answer is that, personally, I’d love to work on a smaller project. But, thinking about the time I have left to survive, I’d rather spend that time working on bigger projects.”

“I have a role to create new things, using the latest technology, that hasn’t been seen before,” he added. “And I’m pretty happy with that role.”

The Metal Gear Solid ‘kantoku’ added that the big risks that come packaged with big ideas aren’t a concern of his. On the contrary: “We have to think that the industry that we’re in is a hit industry. You’ve got to love risk,” he said.

http://www.developmag.com/news/31918/Kojima-feels-the-pressure-to-continue-Metal-Gear