PDA

View Full Version : Spielberg: consoles will go, VR will return

wraggster
May 20th, 2009, 20:13
Film director Steven Spielberg has said that traditional gaming platforms will cease to exist and that 3D gaming and virtual reality will be the "new platform for our gaming future".

Speaking to The Guardian, Spielberg said that, just like the old "videogame parlours", consoles and other gaming equipment will go "the way of the Dodo bird".

"Now we're all playing at home and someday we'll be playing directly on our TV sets, bypassing all of the platforms," he said.

The veteran director, who just finished work on his second Boom Blox game with EA, also talked about his expectations about the future.

"In the short term I would love to start seeing 3D games developed where with a good pair of glasses we get a real three-dimensional experience in front of an appropriate monitor that is designed just for 3D," he said.

"And after that, will certainly be virtual reality, which just like 3D came and went in the 1950s, and now it's here to stay in movies.

"I really think virtual reality, which experimentally came and went in the eighties, is going to be redeveloped, just like 3D is being redeveloped today, and that's going to be the new platform for our gaming future."

Elsewhere in the interview, Spielberg said he was "a PC game player more than anything else", but said he also played on PS3 and Xbox 360.

"I get more into the microphysics of gaming, especially on the PC. I'm closer to the screen, I look for detail, I notice things more easily. The Wii platform which I adore is more of a macro experience, you know."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/spielberg-consoles-will-go-vr-will-return

da1writer
May 20th, 2009, 21:53
How much does it cost?
I mean the weed you takin Steven?
Cause you gotta be smokin some to be saying stuff like this...
VR returning?
Yeah right, I can understand that Game consoles may go eventually because of stuff coming out soon like OnLive (or better stuff will be out by then) but Virtual Reality coming back.
Man, I was selected in a Development Theater to demonstrate Virtual Reality (they had the equipment) and I'll tell you what, I got tired faster than me playing outside when I was a kid. I'd even go as far and say I got tired faster than waving my arms around like an idiot playing the fad called the Wii. What makes you think VR is going to be any better, the Wii is the best we can go in that aspect and any further would make things worse (the wiiboard is already pushing it).
Sorry Steven but please pass the weed you smokin...

osgeld
May 20th, 2009, 21:59
I guess he has never used any vr equipment, even the best screens and optics make your eyes go flubbin knutz after 5 seconds

apex05
May 20th, 2009, 22:31
I'm seriously considering climbing in my fridge freezer and thawing out in 300 years for holodeck technology.

Krisando
May 20th, 2009, 22:44
I hope he's right, virtual reality class would be cool, you could do anything without consequences.

Sonny_Jim
May 21st, 2009, 10:57
What is actually happening is that pretty much all high end VR tech is all military. Have a look on Wikipedia for a list of companies that deal with VR nowadays, then look and see how many of them exist solely on US government contracts.

VR isn't dead, it just isn't for public consumption.

gumgod
May 21st, 2009, 13:43
What is actually happening is that pretty much all high end VR tech is all military. Have a look on Wikipedia for a list of companies that deal with VR nowadays, then look and see how many of them exist solely on US government contracts.

VR isn't dead, it just isn't for public consumption.

Most of the time things like that are due to the costs involved. When VR gets cheap enough then it will be for the public consumption. Companies will sell you anything they can if they think they can make a profit.

fpcreator2000
May 21st, 2009, 14:50
Unfortunately, his short term idea would not sell very well due to the fact that too many people have sensitive eyes to play "3D-style" games with 3D glasses, similar to the game Descent back in the day. Drove my eyes crazy.

Uberman
May 21st, 2009, 15:38
I think this is kinda sad. What the hell would Spielberg know about gaming trends? There's nothing very visionary about his predictions. I think we've all seen the OnLive demo (and if you haven't, where have you been?); not much of a stretch to add VR tech to that, I would think.

He's not exactly the source I'd get my information from if I were interested in investing in something.