PDA

View Full Version : Herald Sun: Game addiction on the rise, industry 'in denial'

wraggster
May 20th, 2009, 20:32
Let's face it, folks, game addiction is hot. We've all read the stories, some of them funny and others tragic. And then, of course, there are the scare pieces. Enter Australia's Herald Sun, which declares that gaming addiction is on its way to becoming a national health problem. The article notes that "psychologists" are claiming that gaming addiction is affecting a growing number of Australians and the headline even proclaims "Tech addicts playing video games for up to 10 hours a day."

The source, apparently, is one psychologist by the name of William Campos. Said Campos, "I had one patient who was so involved with one game called World of Warcraft and would play it up to eight [to] ten hours a day.'' To clarify: That's one psychologist referring to one patient.

Furthermore, in reaction to a statement from the Interactive Entertainment Association of Australia, which claims that gaming addiction is "not a lasting obsession for the majority" of players, the article claims that the games industry is "in denial." We won't deny that gaming addiction is a problem for some gamers, but to imply that the majority of players are addicts -- which the Herald Sun has done by calling the IEAA's statement denial -- is simply fallacious.

Then again, maybe we're just in denial.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/19/herald-sun-game-addiction-on-the-rise-industry-in-denial/

JDvorak
May 20th, 2009, 21:23
Wow I have played video games on computers and home consoles since 1979 when we got our first Apple II computer and shortly thereafter got out Atari 2600. I was only 7 in 1979. I loved growing up in the 80's with all the arcade games that were in our local restaurants (sandwich and pizza parlors). They were a blast. It is now 30 years later and I have owned and/or played almost every console and computer known to man. Even with this I wouldn't consider myself an addict by any means. Some people do go overboard especially now with all the online games, but for the average passionate gamer there really is no addiction. This isn't a drug, I really consider video games and computer games to be more helpful to a persons brain, motor skills, education/learning, and even with online gaming teach social skills. Not like television and movies that while entertaining don't really do anything but excite the brains emotions. If you really want to see video game addiction that leads to neglect and ruined lives watch the webisodes of The Guild!

Krisando
May 20th, 2009, 22:36
Those people deserve not to live anyway, survival of the fittest ;)

RV2006
May 21st, 2009, 08:13
Only morons get addicted to anything.
Most hard working, sensible gamers would find it difficult to find 10 hours to game.
I know I do...