PDA

View Full Version : pMEnc version 0.2 (Video Encoder)

modsyn
March 20th, 2006, 21:52
modsyn (aka, myself) releases version 2 of the pMEnc encoder.
This version adds the features
- DVD Ripping now works with subtitle/audio track selection.
- Video quality can be controlled with Qscale (or quality
scale) rather OR bitrate. Remember, for qscale, the lower
the number the better the quality.
- Batch encoding. Set up your job and hit the 'Save' button.
Then you can set up as many more jobs as you want. (Doesn't
work with DVDs)

from the author

when the new PSPlayerMT application showed up, i thought it would be nice if i included support for it as well. So, this version will let you either create a PMP file, or an AVI file that will be 480x272 and play perfectly with PSPlayerMT.

i've done some pretty extensive testing (converting mutliple DVDs and many anime eps) so all bugs (or my errors) should be taken care of.

the auto crop option most likely will add black bars either on the side or on the top of the video, but it doesn't stretch anything, so no funny long (or short) faces. of course, there's still the option to disregard all aspect information and go fullscreen.

yay, videos. download (http://cs.ulm.edu/~jself/pmenc)
ps, source code is included.

T-2000
March 20th, 2006, 21:56
im testing this..brb..

modsyn
March 20th, 2006, 22:11
there was an issue with mencoder.
if you downloaded before 4:18 Central Time, you should
download the program again. i'm now uploading the fixed
version.

matts1900
March 21st, 2006, 00:00
Nice idea, though if you're encoding fresh from a DVD to avi then surely you'd just use Gordian Knot/Auto GK? Its cool to see a Rip straight from DVD to PMP program though :)

modsyn
March 21st, 2006, 00:30
very true. gordian knot is top knotch for quality. this is meant for people
with less familiarity with video transcoding. it's just a simple process that
(hopefully) even video "noobs" can get through.

felonyr301
March 21st, 2006, 01:00
nice job man ima download it and try it and im no video "noob" by any means but im just curious love to always encode videos with different encoders on my spare time so whats this gordian knot/auto GK you speak of is it really just a simplified encoder to not confuse noobs ?

oldspwr350
March 21st, 2006, 01:08
I have downloaded this and it works great. My only problem is the sound is too quiet. Is there any way to turn the volume up? Any help is appreciated.

T-2000
March 21st, 2006, 01:29
id already swopped Mencoder program to make it work.. the volume is very low, even after turning the sound up with PMPmod.. Great proggy though..

modsyn
March 21st, 2006, 01:37
if you use PSPlayerMT you can set the psp volume up to 8X.
plus it has sleep mode!

oldspwr350
March 21st, 2006, 01:48
How do you turn the volume up to 8X I saw where it says 1x for the current setting but can not find a way to change. I checked the read me and it is not in english and the thread on the PSPlayer does not cover volume controls. Thanks.

modsyn
March 21st, 2006, 02:27
if you hold down circle and hit the right button on the d-pad it ups the volume.
doing the same but with the left button will lower it. it doesn't work when the
video is paused though.

felonyr301
March 21st, 2006, 03:27
so with pmp player mod its low even when crank up the volume through the program bummer hopefully not true..

sudsforus099
March 21st, 2006, 04:22
Im a little confused here...is this used for ripping psp formatted dvds onto your computer into an avi file or is this used for ripping it onto your computer in an effort to burn it onto a disc and make a copy thats readable on the psp.

Moning2
March 21st, 2006, 09:03
Im a little confused here...is this used for ripping psp formatted dvds onto your computer into an avi file or is this used for ripping it onto your computer in an effort to burn it onto a disc and make a copy thats readable on the psp.

after reading this very carefully i have concluded that you should sell your psp

if you hold down circle and hit the right button on the d-pad it ups the volume.
doing the same but with the left button will lower it. it doesn't work when the
video is paused though.
it goes to 16x here :D damn thats some volume increase :D

wish i knew that when i was trying to watch a (very low volume) movie in the train :mad:

thanks for the tip :cool:

whitey75
March 21st, 2006, 09:54
this may be a simple question.....but are u meant to be able to click on input file (is it a button). Because I can't. What file should i specify if i'm ripping a dvd? The video_ts.ifo file?

LC_killer
March 21st, 2006, 10:24
hell yea I love this. after converting the avi i got from my dvd with psp video9 it ended up being 300 megs. for a 110 minute movei. in dvd quality. great job!!

T-2000
March 21st, 2006, 11:37
this may be a simple question.....but are u meant to be able to click on input file (is it a button). Because I can't. What file should i specify if i'm ripping a dvd? The video_ts.ifo file?

select rip DVD go to the DVD drive letter open it and click on the Video_ts folder and click open..thts it u dont actually see the files inside the folder..

T-2000
March 21st, 2006, 12:18
is there a way to select the resolution 480x208 this would give non widescreen movies a wide screen look, as black bars down the sides are terrible. oh and audio boost would be the icing on the cake for this proggy...

SSaxdude
March 21st, 2006, 15:18
Is there an easy way to fast forward in PSPlayerMT?

T-2000
March 21st, 2006, 16:17
seems when i rip from dvd it creates about a 300mb pmp file which isnt all the movie.. ill try some more dvds..

LC_killer
March 21st, 2006, 19:48
yea the volume thing buggs me. i thought after cranking up the audio in psp video9 it would be fine. but nope. we need volume controll. its still too quite to listin to

whitey75
March 21st, 2006, 20:29
No luck here. I can't select the Video_ts folder. Even if I type in my drive and folder name into input I have no luck

eg. input E:\VIDEO_TS
output F:\Test

but it seems there is no way of opening the folder. It shouldn't be this hard should it?

modsyn
March 21st, 2006, 21:13
if you're trying to rip a dvd, select the DVD DRIVE.
in your case, it looks like you should choose 'E:\'

EDIT (update)
for all of those wanting the option to increase the volume i
have added that. to get the additional feature, download the
volume update (cs.ulm.edu/~jself/pmenc/pMEnc-volume-addition.rar) pack.

to install, replace the folder 'pMEnc' with the one in the rar file.
make sure you replace the correct folder, since there could be 2
folders named pMEnc. the one you want is the one with the .class
files in it. also,
the volume increase goes all the way up to 100, but i would say that
a sane volume level is below 15.

anyway, thanks for all the feedback. let me know what else i can do
to improve the program.

modsyn

Voltron
March 22nd, 2006, 10:04
WOW modsyn, that was a fast addition of a requested option. Thank you for your work. I will be trying this out soon.

T-2000
March 22nd, 2006, 15:36
480x208 res would be nice adds borders top/bottom.. and is 1300 bitrate the highest the PSp can be ? im not sure the volume addition works with DVD encoding, still testing this..

T-2000
March 22nd, 2006, 17:38
weird i set multipass and hi volume to see if it works when encoding a DVD took a few hrs then ended up with a 19.6mb file...lol when i looked in the temp file there were the correct files, so i dont think it had been muxed properly..

modsyn
March 23rd, 2006, 01:41
there's a fault in the way i was calculating projected output resolution.
i'm just about done testing it the fix, but i want to run a few more strangely
sized videos through it first. also, when i release the fix i'll also add the ability
to go higher on the video bitrate. i didn't know exactly how high i should go,
so i just left it at 1300. i can set it as high as i want. any suggestions as to
what the maximum should be?

as a side note, there are 2 files that are included in the pMEnc folder,
make.bat and run.bat. anyone can open up the source code files and
make simple changes (like adding bitrate options, or changing the text
on the windows/buttons). if you have the Java Development Kit installed
you can compile it all by running the 'make.bat' file. just some info for all
you modders out there. feel free to laugh at my code, as well.

cheers

TurbodTalon
March 23rd, 2006, 05:26
Modsyn,

I used the 1300 bitrate option on an older DVD (Predator), and it was perfect. 1500 would be the max I would go. People need to keep in mind that anything encoded over 1000 or 1100 won't fit on a 1GB stick. Also, I tried turning up the volume with PSPlayer and it distorts the sound when set too high. The link for the volume update pack is broken. Where else can I find it?

T-2000
March 23rd, 2006, 07:17
link still works this end..

LAMPRO
March 23rd, 2006, 07:25
OK- So has everyone had their bite at his yet?

What are the best settings to create a decent (but not THAT great) video, with decent (but not THAT great) audio, keeping the file size WAY small.

ANYONE have any settings input?

T-2000
March 23rd, 2006, 07:34
Default settings, but turn the volume setting up. and encode dvd's i try not to encode AVI, never seems good enough for me..lol

kungfucious
March 23rd, 2006, 11:31
Hi

This is a question for Modsyn.

Fantastic application, but i keep running into the same problem often when i encode video files. it goes like this:

1. I encode a video file with default settings
2. I transfer it to the psp
3. boot up PMP
4. try and play the file but it gives the error that the bitrate is too high.

I would asume that pMEnc would automatically fix/encode all files for propper playback? is that correct?

Is there a limitation to the file types you can encode?

thanks
KF

modsyn
March 25th, 2006, 05:41
using qscale instead of bitrate will let you choose the quality rather than bitrate.
as long as you don't use qscale of 1 (i think i started it at 2) the file should come
out smaller than if you used a constant bitrate.

kungfucious,
the high bitrate may be from the audio. try setting it a little lower. you can afford
to have less audio quality since you'll most likely be using headphones, right?

the types of files supported include
avi, mov, mp4, avs( but without sound), mpg, vob, rm ( codecs 8 and older ),
and possibly some wmv ( but it sucks, so don't use it ).
then of course you have mkv and ogm... for yummy anime...

i've got the resolution fix finished and i rewrote the invoker to rely on the
system Java, so i'll put that up as version3. it's much smaller and there's
no console window in the background. will post the link when it's all done.

LAMPRO
March 25th, 2006, 06:26
How much longer? Ive finally mastered the art of conversion. Love this app..

T-2000
March 25th, 2006, 18:54
ive just backed up starwars R of the sith.AVI not Pmp in 1300 bitrate, multipass, and it came out about 1.4 gig.. not a problem, but its got the directors commentry all the way through, now i need to alter the language settings, good thing u can do a small encode and try it,,,lol