PDA

View Full Version : Making a new 3d RPG, looking for help

jman420
March 21st, 2006, 02:35
Hi everybody.. I'm working on lever designs for a new 3d RPG I would like to make, however, I need someone with experence in 3d programing and engine building.. I have access to an engine that might be good enough, however I still need someone to help me by programing.. I am a 3d artist using Autodesk 3ds max 8, which basicly means, if there is someone that can assist me by changing 3dsmax files into a game.. thats about all you may have to do.. I also need texture artists, as well as programers that can help with a battle system.. I dont currently have a website. but if there is anyone interested in helping.. post here or PM me.

And no I am not a "Noob" and I didnt learn 3d design and pay $3500 bucks for a program so that morons can post "lol" on my post.. I am currently working with a person named TurkeyMan, on Project Caelestis.. I know what I'm doing :P

Thanks,
Jman420

10shu
March 21st, 2006, 03:08
...lol

jman420
March 21st, 2006, 04:37
yes? you think thats funny??

Privateer
March 21st, 2006, 06:01
I might be able to help with interface design, but I don't have much experience with #d model textures or programming. :[

Hawkeyefile
March 21st, 2006, 06:35
all i can do is hex, x86/68k/64 bit machine code.

yaustar
March 21st, 2006, 08:27
A md2 or obj model loader is a lot easily to code off the bat although if I remeber correctly ther are quite a few plugins for Max to export md2s. How good are you at animating meshes?

TheEmulatorGuy
March 21st, 2006, 09:46
As a programmer (me feel special) I can tell you that it is not easy. This would be so bloody hard I don't think there'd be a PSP developer out there who would want to help. You have to be very gifted to program in 3D, and doing it on the PSP is a bloody mind-fork. In other words? Give up. Take my word for it.

Cap'n 1time
March 21st, 2006, 14:11
what engine will you use for this 3d rpg? are you wanting to start from scratch? If so your gonna need some hella experiance. otherwise you might look to some help from people porting engines. check out the stuff at freshmeat.net ... on the other hand PSmonkey has already started work on IRIS and it might be possible to start there. Good luck.

jman420
March 21st, 2006, 21:52
ok HawkEyeFile, I'm sorry, I think I need assembly or C++ :(...

Yaustar, I only just started to go into animating meshes, I mostly work on bone structures and level design.. but so far I'v made some nice looking animations :p

TheEmulatorGuy, Yeah probobly not a bad idea.. but I would still like to find someone that would want to take the time to help.. its not even so much that I need 3d programmers.. I need scripters as well as people that understand how to program things that go along with the scene (battle systems, experence variables, item selection-use)

1Timeuser, I will most likely be using the Mt Fuji 3D engine.. I dont know if you saw it, but back about 3 months ago TurkeyMan posted screenshots of a new game he was working on "Caelestis" and thats what this engine was used for(also the game I'm working on level design and stuff :P).. along with the fact that he's a multi-console assembly programmer, he built the intire engine and the game demo where it is now..

I dont know if anyone can help me.. but it would sure beat the shit out of waiting 4 more years for my degree in OOP programing :P

Thanks,
Jman420

jman420
March 22nd, 2006, 00:24
Realy what I want to make is a remake of the 1988 game "Y's The Vannished Omens" for Sega Master System.. (also made on a few other systems, but never a hand-held..)

I already have the starting town loosly built in 3ds Max.. but not much more then that. I just started working on modeling Aron (the main character) that should be done in a few days . . .

Either way, its not a game I can do myself, it requires someone with experence programming battle systems, as well as programming in 3d.. and because 3ds can Export.. I can export to almost any file format..

Anyway, if there is anyone that would want to assist, I have been wanting to bring this game to the people for years...

b8a
March 22nd, 2006, 12:06
Ouch! You had me interested until you said that it was going to be a 3D remake of Ys!!! (!_!)

Sorry, but I'm not a fan of 3D to begin with and Ys was one of those very special 2D games, so it just sounds like a sin to remake it in 3D. Didn't <a href="http://www.falcom.co.jp">Falcom</a> already do a dropdown 3D remake for the pc though? Even in the newest 3D installments, they've been keeping a strong 2D feel to the game so far.

But hey, not trying to criticize! It would actually be pretty interesting to see a well done full 3D remake, so good luck!

jman420
March 22nd, 2006, 16:05
Ouch?, you had me annoyed after you said "until"??? (-\/-)

3D would not cause the game to be any different.. I still designed the modeles on a specific 2d basis, as well as the fact that everything is set up to be rendered as 3d, from a top down 2d camera.. Y's Eternal was a poorly made "3D" rendition.. but Falcom accualy wrecked the game intirely with the way they did it.. Aron moved to fast, the graphics were the 3d rendered background, and 2d animated crappy looking character level..

I dont think its exactly fair to say that I would molest the game.. I think that Y's the Vannished omens was the greatest game ever, with the most ingenious music ever.. and it would kick some ass to remake it in a new way for the people to play..
Because you see, nobody else seems to like the 2d based game.. Nobody else I know has ever played it because the graphics on the Sega Master System, and Turbo Grafx CD (both of which I own :P) the graphics just.... suck.. thats why I have always wanted to do a proper remake of the game.. Just to bring the game back to a system that could handle it.. (And I have always wanted Y's to be on a handheld system..)

but.. It accualy matters not.. I dont think I am going to find help making the game anyway..

jman420
March 22nd, 2006, 17:14
well, I'm not sure on what I realy want to do.. there is so many syndicated games I want to bring back to the people.. another game I have been working on models for is Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (originaly on SNES) That would be another game I would enjoy making in 3d.. only, proper 3d.. I do beleave that all RPG games must be a top down view.. none of this final fantasy 7-X2 retarded camera movement, and pre-rendered backgrounds.. .. .. .. .. anyway.. yeah.. I would like to work on somthing.. even if its just a new design for a new game.. I would like to work with someone that respects RPG gaming as I do..

Music has to haul ass..
Graphics have to have a hint of old-school while being the best quality possible..
and controls must be easy :D

alright, off to work on more models :D

jairolas
March 22nd, 2006, 17:44
sorry ;)

cloud_952
March 22nd, 2006, 17:51
none of this final fantasy 7-X2 retarded camera movement, and pre-rendered backgrounds..

Okay.. correct on the pre-rendered backgrounds. Won't argue that. O_o But I'd like to know which alternate universe's FF7, FF8, and FF9 you were playing. While it HAS been awhile since I've played 8 and 9, so I can't say with absolute certainty (though I am confident), I know for a fact that FF7 had a fixed camera for the majority of the game, as did all the other PSX FF games. There was some scrolling, but that exists in 2D games as well.

=p Just had to mention that.

b8a
March 22nd, 2006, 23:16
Oooh, sorry, I reread my post and that does sound overly critical. This is already well off-topic, but if people don't want to play the original Ys because the graphics are 10+ years old, it's their loss! I still go back to those games every once in a while, and other than the cinematic cut scenes which really show their age, it still holds up as an extremely good game today and once you start playing it, you don't really notice that the graphics aren't rendered in millions of colors. As you said, the music is killer, and there aren't many games today that can match it on that level, so, while in some regards the game is way behind modern technology, in other areas, it's still much further ahead. I played Ys on the TGCD about 6 years before FF7 for the PSone came out, so I figured for sure that Square would've taken the hint and given the game a full blown soundtrack optomizing the storage capacity of the CD medium. Unfortunately they didn't, and that was just one of the many areas where FF7 majorly disappointed. To your list of gripes about the camera movement and (sometimes awful) prerendered backgrounds, I add it's preachy, drawn out story, weak characters, and repetitive, uninvolving game play.

I hear your desire to work on a RPG game, but unfortunately I can't offer a lick of help as far as console programming. Just another graphicker, like yourself. I actually don't think it would be too hard to find a programmer, and there are lots of talented musicians who would be able to offer fitting scores, but I think the real sticking point would be finding a talented writer. RPG's always come down to the strength of their story, and quite frankely I think a devoted scenario planner and script writer would be an absolute must for a homebrew RPG project, and unfortunately, that seems to be the one area where I think it would be hard to find someone, errr, how should I say it, <i>gifted</i> enough to fit the bill. The Caelistis project really sounds pretty exciting, but from what I read on this board, it does look like this is one area that it's seriously laking in (I could be wrong, the post's author seemed like he was being vague on purpose).

jman420
March 22nd, 2006, 23:27
ok A..
Cloud, all the backgrounds on FF7, 8 and 9 were pre-rendered bitmaps set on a flat surface and panned across. None of the backgrounds (except of course the world map) were on-the-fly rendered..

B.
B8a, Yeah, in fact.. I am listening to Y's music right now :P ... yes Falcom never realy got the whole musical score perfect.. but thats one of the reasons that I still prefer the SMS version.. Just plain ole' Square wave sounds :D.. and I dont quite understand what your saying about Caelestis.. do you mean that TurkeyMan was being vague? either way.. No, it will have story line :D Turkey and I are currently just trying to get out a demo with as much detail as we can.. neither of us have enough time to realy work on the project.. but we do.. he built the engine and programs all the game.. I work on 3d and music.. we both throw story ideas back and forth.. but yeah.. its not going to be lacking anything :D

b8a
March 23rd, 2006, 09:39
I really hope that Caelestis isn't lacking anything. Right now it's the homebrew game that has the most potential in my opinion... But then again that's partly because so little is known about it (!_!) I think I just got jazzed over it when I read that he was planning on giving it a Seikendestsu-like style.

But, if you really don't have enough time to work on Caelestis as it is, what are you doing petitioning help for a new project here for? Honestly, I think you should put all your apples in the Caelestis project-cart and just focus on that. Deffinately sounds like it's got a good solid base going worthy of some hard work. TurkeyMan generated a lot of interest with his original posting about the project, and I promise you that if it lives up to be half of what's been promoted, then you guys won't have any problems finding eager help on future projects.

cloud_952
March 23rd, 2006, 10:05
o_o Yes.. I know that the bgs in FF7, 8, and 9 were pre-rendered. I said that. But they didn't have a moving camera. X and X-2 were reversed, in that the camera was not fixed, but their backgrounds were not pre-rendered.

As for the discussion on the music in FFVII, there was an interesting interview with Nobuo Uematsu on why they had to use MIDIs and other compressed music and not true cd-audio. He was actually excited about using it as well, but since FFVII used uncompressed movie files, and the game had a pretty epic reach (for its time), they didn't have the space to spare to use true cd-quality audio.

I don't know any online sources for it, however, it's in "Power Up" by Chris Kohler, chapter 5. ^_^ Quite an interesting book.

As for the topic at hand, I do think it sounds like an interesting project. I rather enjoy older RPGs, having started with the first FF when I was young, but I have to admit that I've never actually played any of the Ys games. O_o Odd indeed. However, you might want to consider posting this in another forum, as "submit news" really gets a different audience. Might want to look under one of the homebrew forums, maybe?

jman420
March 23rd, 2006, 20:34
ok first off,
b8a, I have been working on modeling Y's, thats why I dont have much time for caelestis.. And the project only just got its writer lastnight (we have been working blindly for months) and I dont beleave that its going to be done for quite some time just because the writer wants to **** the whole project over from where Turkey and I got it to....

and cloud, I dont remember how this argument got started :p but I have never lost an arguement before :P I know that in FFX and FFX2 the camera moves, it still try's to keep that look of FF7-9 the look of pre-rendered backgrounds, all that I was saying anyway was that if I make a game, it has to keep the camera of all the GOOD RPG's, Y's, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, Star Tropics, The Legend of Heroes, Dragon Warrior, its just somthing I have loved about older RPG games, the view that allows you to see all around you.. and absolutly no random encounters... the most annoying invention for RPG games ever.. there is nothing worse then a night when your realy fudgin' stoned trying to play some FF9 and BWOOOSH!!!! ( battle music starts ) it scares the crap outa you...
anyway.. yeah and I said nothing about FF7 with its MIDI music, I downloaded that version (but didnt like it, so I deleated it again) FF7 for the PS1 is what was more inportant, (Not MIDI)

anyway, this post has gone on to far...
thanks,
Jman420

Raydar
March 28th, 2006, 21:17
Maybe you can build it in GTA CheatSync - its fast and easy (also it is ready made 3D!)

jman420
March 30th, 2006, 04:25
ahh I dont know where to get that, but alright

stotheamuel
March 30th, 2006, 04:33
YAY GUYS MAKE THE NEXT BIG GAME FOR HOMEBREW!!!

i wish i had any of the skills needed for nething

GaMeR_2000
April 17th, 2006, 21:11
I have no skills in programming but I have made many Paper & Pencil RPGs to play with my friends and am fairly experienced with battle systems and, classes, races and characters so just say anything if you want me to do anything through posts.

LloydKansas
July 17th, 2006, 18:54
I think this sounds like a great idea... I've always wanted to try the original Y's games but never had a chance because I didn't have the means or the funds. I've seen what you can do, jman, and I don't doubt your abilities. I sure hope you can get some help with this project to get it moving along. Can't wait to see how it ends up :)

jman420
July 17th, 2006, 19:01
heh well thanks, this thread was started so long ago I gave up on it intirely and went to my Resident Evil project..

but I am still working on Y's the vannished omens for Lua, and thats going good :D

Apoklepz
July 17th, 2006, 19:10
Hey Jman...Sorry to get of the subject here but I'm interested in your knowledge of Gmax and how I can port a 3D model I've made to the PSP, for a game I'm also working on...Just PM me, and good luck with all your projects.

LloydKansas
July 18th, 2006, 22:10
I'm glad to hear you still have some form of Y's under development :D Your RE project looks extremely promising as well, I might add. I can't wait for the demo/teaser ^.^