PDA

View Full Version : kernel mode knowledge quest

hibbity
March 22nd, 2006, 17:25
can someone explain the major differences between user and kernel mode. :confused:

does kernel mode have more memory or is it something else?
it seems to be important looking in from the ignorant outside, but i want to understand why, and why only some kernel mode apps work on 2.0+. please explain.

jairolas
March 22nd, 2006, 17:54
use more ram, less ram. in other words More power, less power lol

SSaxdude
March 22nd, 2006, 18:22
Kernal mode has to do with Wifi and Infared also.

BrooksyX
March 22nd, 2006, 22:53
Kernal mode gives you full access to the psp's hardware. Without it coders wouldnt be able to use the gpu and wifi to their advantage when they make their applications. So without kernal everything has to be emulated in the cpu and ram. Thats why 2.0 and above applications dont run as well as those made for 1.5 and lower because 2.0 and above cannot use kernal.

demologik
April 3rd, 2006, 21:49
soo.. basically the n64 emulator would run better if it was coded to use kernel mode..

ZFB8
April 3rd, 2006, 22:34
Yes, and eventually he plans to use kernel mode, but as he has ALREADY stated, for what he's coding right now, there's no point in kernel mode, and he wants to keep it 2.0+ friendly for as long as possible.

PSmonkey
April 4th, 2006, 05:17
No no no no no no no no no no.
Not a single person here has it right.

User mode gives restrictive access to special parts of the psp hardware (flash/prx loading/etc). Kernal mode gives unrestricted access. It does not unlock any power. A User & Kernal app would run at the same speed.

Iris is using hw 3d and its in user mode. Monkey64 is still in user mode and rendering 3d.

The reason why wifi needs kernal mode is to load and init prx (think of them as the psp version to a dll) files to access the wifi hardware.

Zeemon
April 4th, 2006, 23:16
But User mode does have wifi.........

behahwhoalalala
April 4th, 2006, 23:25
AHA... GREAT NEWS!!!

fanjita has created a new eloader for 2.01+ fw which can use wifi... so you wont need to use kernal!

this rocks... PS: please dont use kernal mode!

Cooe14
April 6th, 2006, 05:25

User mode gives restrictive access to special parts of the psp hardware (flash/prx loading/etc). Kernal mode gives unrestricted access. It does not unlock any power. A User & Kernal app would run at the same speed.

Iris is using hw 3d and its in user mode. Monkey64 is still in user mode and rendering 3d.

The reason why wifi needs kernal mode is to load and init prx (think of them as the psp version to a dll) files to access the wifi hardware.
Than why do programs seem to run faster with kernel (1.50) than without (2.0+) ? :confused:

Moning2
April 6th, 2006, 23:12
Than why do programs seem to run faster with kernel (1.50) than without (2.0+) ? :confused:

because they dont, lol

and its kernEl not kernAl, that was some type error by some retard in a very old system :rolleyes: oh and something that doesnt have anything to do with kernel :)
read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernal

Bedo
April 7th, 2006, 01:20
if you try quake on a 1.5 psp then try it on a 2.6 psp, you can feel and see a huge difference in speed. Same with other emulators like nester and snes using all the same settings.

behahwhoalalala
April 7th, 2006, 19:50
Kernal - Keyboard Entry Read, Network, And Link

demologik
April 7th, 2006, 20:09

so basically.. we won't be able to play multiplayer online..

so no GoldenEye deathmatches.. or Perfect Dark, or Southpark, Mario Kart, etc.. online.. becasue kernel mode allows access to the WiFi capabilities..?? im confused..

behahwhoalalala
April 7th, 2006, 20:12
No, because the new boch eloader lets us use wifi!

cswindle
April 7th, 2006, 23:18
No, because the new boch eloader lets us use wifi!The reason that Quake runs slower in v2.5 firmware compared to 1.5 is due to the network modules in v2.5 do not run properly if you overclock, hence we needed to put a limit in place for the amount that Quake would overclock.

In terms of networking requiring kernel mode, this is not required in v2+ as Sony added a user mode procedure for loading network modules (which made life a lot easier for me and Fanjita to get networking working for all firmwares)

Chris

Gary13579
April 8th, 2006, 04:50

Not fully true :)
The Quake PSP team figured out how to load WiFi modules in user mode.

It's all in your mind :)
It could be possible that some of GTA is still loaded and running while you are playing your game, which may slow it down, but I doubt it. Fanjita has done a pretty good job with his eLoader. It should stop all the GTA threads before loading your apps.

The reason that Quake runs slower in v2.5 firmware compared to 1.5 is due to the network modules in v2.5 do not run properly if you overclock, hence we needed to put a limit in place for the amount that Quake would overclock.

In terms of networking requiring kernel mode, this is not required in v2+ as Sony added a user mode procedure for loading network modules (which made life a lot easier for me and Fanjita to get networking working for all firmwares)

Chris
Will you ever release how this was done? I don't see it in the PSPSDK (it's possible that mine is outdated.. haven't done and svn update in ages).
I would really like to run my apps in user mode (even on 1.5), just for consistancies sake.
I know that the eLoader will patch my app to run in user mode, but I would still rather have it run in usermode on 1.0/1.5 also :)

cswindle
April 8th, 2006, 07:12
Will you ever release how this was done? I don't see it in the PSPSDK (it's possible that mine is outdated.. haven't done and svn update in ages).I am going to sort out a post on PSPDEV with the details of what needed to be done.

I would really like to run my apps in user mode (even on 1.5), just for consistancies sake.
I know that the eLoader will patch my app to run in user mode, but I would still rather have it run in usermode on 1.0/1.5 also :)The function was added in firmware v2, therefore you still need to use kernel mode in v1/1.5.

Chris

tails-lol
April 8th, 2006, 10:16
wy snes9x is slower in user mode than the kernel mode and dont use wifi, it can be posible to have a user version and a kernel version of the emulator and compare the framerate to see the amount of speed? and continue the 2 version like snes9x for make every body hapy if we got results ;)

Gary13579
April 8th, 2006, 17:06
wy snes9x is slower in user mode than the kernel mode and dont use wifi, it can be posible to have a user version and a kernel version of the emulator and compare the framerate to see the amount of speed? and continue the 2 version like snes9x for make every body hapy if we got results ;)

The reason why SNES9x is so much faster on kernel mode is because it makes use of the ME, which cannot be used on 2.0 or higher (because of user-mode restrictions).
The ME is a second processor for the PSP, I believe TYL uses it for sound.

tails-lol
April 8th, 2006, 23:50
and this ME can boost n64 emulation speed if it's used?(got same result with pspgenesis)