PDA

View Full Version : MAME help for the PSP

trashcanman
March 24th, 2006, 00:15
I found a number of different versions of MAME Emulators for the PSP:

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/xmame-psp.shtml - XMame PSP v0.1.2

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/files/mame071.lzh - XMame PSP v0.71 r0.2

and then:

PSPMame v0.96 r0.4 which comes in 15 different editions...

First off, which version do I use? I've tried a few versions and when I launch MAME, I get an error "This game cannont be started. The data is corrupted."

All I want to play is Rolling Thunder and R-Type

The system software on my PSP is v.2.01

Do I need to downgrade to 1.5 to get is to work?

Any help is appreciated...

TrashcanMan

ramzak
March 24th, 2006, 09:55
you cant downgrade it becuase your version is 2.01 you need 2.00 version to downgrade it.

trashcanman
March 24th, 2006, 14:13
Gosh darn it!

So...

Can anyone tell me if there is a MAME emulator that will work with v2.01 of the PSP software? :)

Thanks again for all the help!

Trashcanman

MustafaX
March 25th, 2006, 01:14
no there isn't any but try the gta exploit (eloader)

iqcumber
March 25th, 2006, 04:36
it's been ages since the last version of pspmame was released, and it isn't very workable as it stands. I find it surprising that there are so many talented programmers so dedicated to so many versions of mame, and yet mame for psp seems to be so overlooked. Don't people realize that it is the greatest emu around?

when the psp came out it was the possibility of running mame on it that really got me excited, as the old arcade games would make perfect portable gaming since those games were really designed to hook you and be most satisfying in small doses. and they were brilliantly programmed. GYRUSS is one of the best arcade shooters ever, and no port has come close (check out the version in gta san andreas - it plays absurdly poorly) and yes, rolling thunder it still ace.

so what has happened to pspmame? doesn't anybody care? it's not just that people don't seem to be working on it, it's also that there is no real discussion or nostalgia for the games it plays. people get real excited over quake 2, but that's a game that is going to play way better on the pc (even if the port is brilliant programming). The old arcade games will play just as well on a psp as they did in their original arcade forms, and there are so many great ones.

What about Outrun? Did you see Sega released it in one of those retro collections? and someone make the appauling decision to "update" the graphics. Morons, that game needs no "improvements."

frogger, galaga, double dragon, bubble booble, raiden, golden axe, shinobi, r-type, bionic commando, rygar, contra, wonder boy, sunset riders, in the hunt... and how many more? none of these would very very demanding on the system, and all of them are best in their original arcade iterations.

does anyone know anything?