PDA

View Full Version : PSP keyboard and cellphone attachments on USPTO

wraggster
March 24th, 2006, 15:43
Source Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/24/psp-keyboard-and-cellphone-attachments-on-uspto/)

So if you recall, way back at E3 2004 when Sony was showing off the PlayStation Portable for the first time in the US, they were also generating some buzz with translucent keyboard and cellphone attachments. Of course, those never materialized -- but they have in fact finally shown up online, albeit at the USPTO. In two filings dated November 10, 2004 (and made public in late February 2006 and only three days ago, respectively), a gaggle of Sony designers submitted applications for both "ornamental design[s]" for a keyboard and phone add-on for the PSP -- and trust us, the patent filings couldn't have been much less verbose. So will we ever see these things get manufactured and released? Eh, even though Sony's launched some unexpected PSP accessories recently, we'd assume the phone attachment won't ever take off. However, Izumi Kawanishi has made it no secret that he wants email on the PSP, and a keyboard would be quite a nicety if that's in the cards.

Check out the screens via comments

DraconumPB
March 24th, 2006, 16:58
I want a psp made out of dotted lines...

...I mean, awesome, a keyboard!!

pepegomez
March 24th, 2006, 17:14
i always wondered what those holes are for ^^

Ziro
March 24th, 2006, 18:18
I want the phone feature!
To me, that would make the PSP complete...

PSPh4ck3rCMD
March 24th, 2006, 18:59
sweet love to have the phone adapter but looks to big hopefully if they do release it it will be 1/4 the size the pic shows

Sterist
March 24th, 2006, 19:02
looks nice, but the qstn is.... why the top of the psp? why couldnt it come down the back of the psp and go under?

LazerTag
March 24th, 2006, 19:06
looks nice, but the qstn is.... why the top of the psp? why couldnt it come down the back of the psp and go under?

Blocks the UMD drive maybe?

I'm surprised the USB port itself was put on top of the PSP to begin with myself.

IndianCheese
March 24th, 2006, 20:12
What should I do with my RAZR then? Haha...

Raekwik11
March 24th, 2006, 21:10
Sweet I need to have that when it comes out.

Sterist
March 24th, 2006, 22:18
Blocks the UMD drive maybe?

I'm surprised the USB port itself was put on top of the PSP to begin with myself.

they could just as easily leave an open area for the usb and make it snap on/off, like the other hardware that attach to the psp, so the umd can be accessed

chopper
March 24th, 2006, 22:31
What exactly does the phone feature do.

Hawkeyefile
March 24th, 2006, 22:59
id liek to see the keyboard but the way they atach it requires to:
a. have skinny arms and hands (even fingers)
b. turn the psp upside down, wich is way to dislexic.
they should make the keyboard liek they did with palm. and that is use the IR port.

Voltron
March 25th, 2006, 02:22
I'm all for the phone idea. Not sure how you would get service to it though. Wishful thinking but it would be cool if you could use it to tap into your existing wireless service instead of signing up for another monthly based service.

Pre-Paid might be a good idea.

Produkt
March 25th, 2006, 02:22
its really odd... how do they expect you to hold that thing? the only way I can think of requires you to hold your PSP upside down...

Forever~Zero
March 25th, 2006, 02:46
That looks nice but it doesnt seem really practical. WOuld love the keyboard and phone.

Arti
March 25th, 2006, 20:47
I hope it doesnt need a firmware update.

chopper
March 25th, 2006, 22:20
I hope it doesnt need a firmware update.
I doubt Sony will forget to include a firmware update.

Gene
March 26th, 2006, 04:43
Not to sound like i don't want a cellphone attachment to happen, but the psp system already has an extremely low battery life, if you add a cell phone, then it would either have to work while the psp unit is off, or it would make the battery life (at full charge)
somewhere close to 3 hrs. Of course there is always the possibility of a battery in the cellphone attachment, but then you wouldn't need a psp now would you.

the keyboard on the other hand looks pretty usefull.

Ennohex
March 26th, 2006, 09:27
Personally, a flip-out left/right design would suit me. Then I'll get one!
While someone's about it, why not create a car charger/cradle/bluetooth/fm transmitter for me? he he