PDA

View Full Version : Revolution to be Homebrew Fans Dream Console

wraggster
March 24th, 2006, 16:46
Im sure those of you who follow news about all consoles will have heard that the Nintendo Revolution (http://revolution.dcemu.co.uk/) is to have emulators for N64, Snes, Nes, Gameboy (GBA?) and yesterday we find out that Sega Genesis and PC Engine are to be on the system too.

Now you will have to pay for the roms but its all perfectly legal, will the Revolution (http://revolution.dcemu.co.uk/) be the system of choice for Homebrewers ?

Id like to hear opinions about this as many of you are newcomers to the Homebrew scene ?

radiox
March 24th, 2006, 17:12
Not going on that piece of news alone.

Emulation != homebrew.

It may, on the other hand become the Retro Fan's system of choice.

pepegomez
March 24th, 2006, 17:13
wtf! if thats true with the pc engine, ill buy that thing immediately :P

theandyman85
March 24th, 2006, 17:23
I wonder to what extent PCEngine will be supported because if I could buy Castlevania Rondo of Blood on the Revolution that would be the single best selling point for me :D
Though of course its probably just a far fetched dream that I could actually "buy" it given I doubt it would be offered in the States version of the network the Revolution will be on but you never know.

sharkus
March 24th, 2006, 17:33
It will only be a homebrew dream if Nintendo allows homebrew software to run without hacking through layers of security (and a cheap SDK would be nice).

While I love to play old games on my PSP, playing Genesis games on my 65" HDTV leaves something to be desired.

If the rumor of a $100 personal dev kit for XBOX 360 is true that will make the XBOX 360 a true homebrew dream... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

PSP Universe
March 24th, 2006, 18:18
wot does all this mean ? whats the effect of this?

vettacossx
March 24th, 2006, 18:28
not if we have to pay for (age old system) roms i mean gba maybe thats still taking out the pocket of people STILL WORKING AND PROFITING GAMES OR GAMES STILL ON THE SHELF..GBA IS THE ONLY IN THAT LIST..
further more the psp does all this for free with wi-fi and more.. (soon M64 thanks to gba i mean psmonkey..lol..inside joke ..) id like to know what psmonkey thinks about it he's on the so called other end ..

danknugz
March 24th, 2006, 19:01
wel,, as much as i love emulation, i think its only fair that "they" ( nintendo, ps1, sega etc. ) gets a chance to proit off of thier work again, as long as its reasonable ( i.e VERY cheap, im talking i-tunes cheap, a buck or 2 a game) im not paying $20 to play say, FF7, on my psp. it would bebetter if we can use our own roms from our ps1 games and carts, but obviously that leads the way to loading any illegal roms too. tough call. good if cheap. CHEAP cheap. remeber the add on for GBA that let you use trading cards to load oldskool games on the gba. it died because they wanted around $6 per game. i think thats too much.

danknugz
March 24th, 2006, 19:03
and yes i realize that this is about the new nintendo, but they were talking about the same thing for psp... i doubt ill buy any console systems again. i love my psp/pc situation just fine. ( a ps2 emulator would be nice tho...)

Illegal Machine
March 24th, 2006, 19:24
1. consumers too young to remember these games will either classify them as old garbage ~OR~ never have heard of them and not be interested.

2. consumers old ENOUGH to remember these games/systems SHOULD be old enough to be able to hook these games up for free on whatever homebrew saavy system of thier choice.

3. this is clearly nintendos method of cashing in on the millions of dollars they have considered a loss ever since they heard the word Nester J.

screw em, I got me a PSP

Hevyduty
March 24th, 2006, 19:29
In all honesty, I'll be disappointed if all Nintendo does is allow us to play old ROMs on the Rev. Though that's okay, but that should be just the beginning.

Now, if I can play classic games in multiplayer over the Internet (such as Toe Jam & Earl with a friend in another state), that would be great. If they add new levels to classic games (i.e., new levels for the original SMB or new worlds for classic Zelda games), that's good too. If they allow us to play old prototypes that were never released, that's very cool.

And even cooler would be for Nintendo to release NES and SNES development kits that allow anyone to create new ROMs and submit them to Nintendo for possible distribution over their network. Nintendo could have contests with prizes for the winners and such, like Lik-Sang and others have done in the past. It would be a way to continually add new classic gaming content to their system without devoting any of Nintendo's own development resources to it.

If Nintendo approaches the Rev's retro content with new ideas and ingeniuity, it could be the greatest game system ever created. If they just say, "here's just a bunch of old games you can play" and leave it at that, then it'll be a major disappointment and one of the saddest lost opportunties in gaming history.

Hopefully, Nintendo has the vision to do this right.

thebritons
March 24th, 2006, 20:03
i will not be getting one.

Cap'n 1time
March 24th, 2006, 21:19
I will be getting one. personally Id rather pay for these games and have them on a new sexy console. Plus this is just a little addition nintendo will be adding.. it isnt like they arnt going to have Revolution games. PSP is great and all... but nintendo will forever have a special place in my heart (along with turbo graphics 16 and gen)

b8a
March 24th, 2006, 21:40
I don't know. I like the idea of official emulators on a system, but I hate the idea of having to pay for roms that I already own the originals for. That's just not going to happen. On the other hand though, having people pay for the roms to use on this system, if done at the right price, would be a reasonable response to all those people out there that feel they must download every game regardless of whether they own the original or not.

gotmilk0112
March 24th, 2006, 21:51
YAR!! woot finaly. i thought it said it had a slot for the CARTRIGES of those systems. that would be cool cuz i gots lots of nes games.

MaxSMoke
March 24th, 2006, 22:23
Um, pardon me for saying, but wtf does Nintendo's exploitation of ancient software have to do with Homebrew??? They used to give away these games FOR FREE with their new games. For instance, the *ORIGINAL* Animal Crossing had lots of old Nintendo games hidden inside of it. Just look at Animal Crossing for the DS, *NO OLD GAMES*! Now they charge $20 just to play *ONE* old game on the GBA! That's as much as the Game cost when it first came out!!!

So, not only does this have *NOTHING* to do with Homebrew, in any WAY, SHAPE, or FORM! But this is a TOTAL RIP OFF!!!!! These games are old, they made their money, they should be free and open to everybody. We have a little something in America called the Public Domain, and that's were old games should be!

Finally, after years of waiting and the efforts of many fans to keep these old games from passing away into digital extinction, we were just starting to get the socially excepted notion that after 5 to 10 years, old games should be free to everybody. This is the digital age, software should pass into the public domain much quicker then Music, Movies, or Literature. And then this Retro-Gaming crazy hits Japan, Nintendo realizes they can sell old games for a *MINT*, and suddenly the old bones of long dead software are getting pulled from their graves and made to dance again. THIS IS HORRIBLE!

Not only is this stealing what should be free culture assets from the public domain, but it's also helping to KILL OFF new games that should be getting made right now! After all, why make new games when you can just cannibalize the old games of the past! Not only is this *NOT* Homebrew, it's Anti-Homebrew! It's killing off new games, it's only making money for publishers (not the oringal authors!), and it in no way helps to promote future development!

This is what Public Domain is all about, promoting future development by retiring old intellectual properties so that new ones can be made. But all around the world, major companies are trying to stomp that out so they can mine the past and cheat modern artists, writers, and coders out of their future earnings. If this keeps up, you can kiss alot of current video game makers good bye!

Support future game developers, *DON'T* pay for old games! Buy some NEW ONES!

Hawkeyefile
March 24th, 2006, 22:55
1. consumers too young to remember these games will either classify them as old garbage ~OR~ never have heard of them and not be interested.

2. consumers old ENOUGH to remember these games/systems SHOULD be old enough to be able to hook these games up for free on whatever homebrew saavy system of thier choice.

3. this is clearly nintendos method of cashing in on the millions of dollars they have considered a loss ever since they heard the word Nester J.

screw em, I got me a PSP
i agree. big time. stuff thats that old should not cost anything. they (nintendo) should poffit from the new games, as old geezers like us will be the only one's playing the old games.

PSmonkey
March 24th, 2006, 23:03
I am so buying a japanese rev when they are out. I also hope to get it moded to run homebrew in the future. I so want to make an original idea for the revolution using the controller.

kyle2194
March 24th, 2006, 23:34
My one question about n64 emulation is, where the hell is the c stick/buttons?
http://www.lowdown411.com/uploaded_images/revoctrl-787049.jpg
not there
http://thebosh.com/archives/nintendo-revolution-control.jpg
not there either

Cap'n 1time
March 24th, 2006, 23:38
how many times does this have to be pointed out.... the rev has support for a gc controller.

samthegreat68
March 24th, 2006, 23:57
this is a great Idea and all, snes was my life growing up. but I still got a N64 so I will be buying a rev for the new games. I hope that guy is wrong saying that this will be killing off new games.

Voltron
March 24th, 2006, 23:59
I will also be getting a Revolution. But that is only because I am a die hard gamer and like to have all of the consoles. The emulation aspect is just icing on the cake. I figured a mass of Nintendo console ROMS would be capable of playing on the Revolution but the fact that Turbo Grafx 16 (PC Engine) will be available as well is really kick ass. I find it ironic that the Genesis can be played on it as well. I remember being 12-13 years old and having heated arguments with other kids about which is better - Super Nintendo or Genesis. I always strongly supported the Super Nintendo. So now, many years later, it is Nintendo allowing Genesis ROMS on THEIR console and not the other way around. I like that.

But with all that said I am also very much concerned with cost. Someone said that these old games were like $20.00 when they were first available in the 80's & 90's. I remember games being more like $39.99 - $49.99. In fact I specifically remember a lot of Super Nintendo games being $59.99, i.e. Zelda - A link to the past..... My point is that my parents and many other hard working families have spent a small fortune on these games when they were initially available. So ROMS better be REALLY cheap. Like .99 - $1.99. A few exceptions may be worthy of $3.99 - $4.99. Using iTunes as an expample and a price that reasonable, Nintendo could expect to see Millions of downloads within a relatively short period of time which in turn generates millions more dollars of profit.

Another area where I feel strongly is that I actually think older systems like Nintendo, GameBoy, Super Nintendo, Genesis, Turbo Grafx, etc. etc. etc. are actually better on a portable device. I would rather play most ROMS on the PSP than the Revolution. By the the time the Revolution is here, PSP homebrew will probably have matured to the point where all of the systems emulated on the Revolution will be 100% working with full speed and full sound. Maybe even WIFI network capable as currently seen with SMS & the next release of SNES9xTYL. To be able to preserve a huge part of my childhood in such a small sleek device as the PSP is much preferable than playing on my 50+ inch widescreen HDTV. To be honest, these older games don't look that great on large screens. Sure XBOX 360 & PS3 will look amazing on HDTV's. BUT NES & Genesis look stretched and awkward. Maybe thats just my own opinion but I feel others will also prefer emulation on the PSP.

lilvietquoc
March 25th, 2006, 02:21
shiz, ill buy it. nintendo had better games anyways

idapimp
March 25th, 2006, 05:26
i definately support nintendo's revolution...plus im curious about the goofy controller. but nintendo has always had excellent games and probably always will. but i dont think its right to call it the ultimate homebrew machine because it has a few emulators. it needs to be programmer friendly to earn that title. and those of you saying "I aint paying for nothing!! FREE ROMS!!" screw you. yes i have a few i dont own that i'll never ever be able to find in a store. but i dumped most of my games myself. relax and stop trying to swindle companies. i see nothing wrong with paying $.99- $2.99 for older games (if they decide to make it that cheap)... especially when i used to pay for these damn things and had to empty my savings for like 1 or 2 games when they came out. so in short i support revolution fully.

Sterist
March 25th, 2006, 07:56
Not going on that piece of news alone.

Emulation != homebrew.

It may, on the other hand become the Retro Fan's system of choice.

im all retro but im not about to get a whole console just to play some things i already can on the original system. besides, the revolution's controller is wack

i dont think anyone else would get the system either just for recallin on old games

rbervoets
March 25th, 2006, 09:22
What kind of memory cards does the REV use

gotmilk0112
March 25th, 2006, 14:37
heck ill get it anyways.

rbervoets
March 25th, 2006, 15:45
What kind of memory cards does the REV use

Stinger_{Dark_Chaos}
March 28th, 2006, 02:13
what would be the reliable price for the old-school games? like 5-7 $ ?

Stinger_{Dark_Chaos}
March 28th, 2006, 02:22
ima buy it because i have all the other nintendo stuff so im racking on a nintendo shelf if ya know what i mean i got the nes,snes,game boy,gameboy color,game boy advance,im getting ds sometime this week,n64,gamecube,and if i play my cards right with my mom i should be able to get the REV if it dont cost too much lik a lil over 200$ i like 150 better but if its over 200 i hope i can rackup some more nintendo stuff hehe the only time when im gonna sell it is when i get tired and old of games like 80 yrs old lol i can imagine myself playing smash bros at age 78 then i throw the controller down and call it quits lol

r2works
March 29th, 2006, 20:47
It should be interesting to see how these old games work with the REV controller. Im pretty sure Nintendo knows what there doing, their sales can speak for that. And Im not sure how any of you can judge the controller before even trying it out, I can definitely see this being the future for gaming, just as they have continued to innovate the gaming industry, where as other companies continue to follow and copy.

game play over graphics.

jman420
March 30th, 2006, 04:58
HOLD ONNA SECOND!!!! SEGA was bought by sony, how on earth did Nintendo get the rights to use saturn emulators on their system????

stotheamuel
March 30th, 2006, 05:08
pay money???

no thank you wont be my homebrew console of choice..

the money tree in my backyard has been cut down

stotheamuel
March 30th, 2006, 05:11
It should be interesting to see how these old games work with the REV controller. Im pretty sure Nintendo knows what there doing, their sales can speak for that. And Im not sure how any of you can judge the controller before even trying it out, I can definitely see this being the future for gaming, just as they have continued to innovate the gaming industry, where as other companies continue to follow and copy.

game play over graphics

yes and if nintendo would release a good first person shooter i would love to see the third party companies come out with a gun controller similar to the duck hunt days