PDA

View Full Version : Portable Size-Off: How The PSP Go Measures Up

wraggster
May 31st, 2009, 19:04
The new PSP Go, leaked just before E3 thanks to the June issue of Sony's own Qore, is tiny little thing. Bigger than an iPhone—but not by much—and slimmer than the original PSP.

When placed side-by-side against some of the current portable gaming competition, the PSP Go illustrates just how different it is from its peers and predecessor. The screen ratio looks similar to older PSP models, but is considerably smaller in size—3.8 inches versus the PSP-3000's diagonal size of 4.3 inches or 11% smaller.

On par with than Sony's other slide-out device, the Mylo 2, from which the PSP Go looks to have borrowed some of its design choices.

The PSP Go is also pretty efficient on overall hardware footprint. The LCD screen is 0.3 inches larger than the iPhone, but thanks to the slide-out controls, doesn't have nearly the same amount of extra plastic flanking each side.

The removal of some of the PSP's original buttons (display, sound, volume) go a long way to keeping the look more efficient than earlier models.

Versus the Nintendo DSi and DS Lite, however, we see just how much smaller the device is in its open position compared to its dual-screen competition. Screen-wise, the DSi and PSP Go are closer than ever, as the former got a quarter-inch boost over the DS Lite's screen, with the Go shaving off a half-inch.

Weight-wise, the PSP Go sounds pretty light—approximately 3.8 ounces, if the 43% lighter than the PSP-3000 figure (and our math) is accurate. That makes it lighter than the iPhone (4.7 ounces) and Nintendo DSi (7.5 ounces).

Keep in mind that these PSP Go figures aren't official, so things may be slightly off. But if you need to budget pocket space for the Fall, it might be handy.
http://kotaku.com/5273302/portable-size+off-how-the-psp-go-measures-up

screens via comments

wraggster
May 31st, 2009, 19:05
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/05/psp_go_vs_psp_iphone.jpg

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/05/psp_go_vs_dsi.jpg

PsychoSync
May 31st, 2009, 19:23
Will it have Mylo2's resolution? 800x480 would be awesome!

mike_jmg
May 31st, 2009, 19:26
This is getting very very interesting, if the psp becomes something the size of an Iphone, now I'll be able to take it anywhere.

Compared to this my slim looks bulky,
gotta start saving money

wraggster
May 31st, 2009, 19:28
i still want to know how ill get my legally owned games onto the device with no umd

Brainy142
May 31st, 2009, 21:01
me too.

JLF65
May 31st, 2009, 22:01
i still want to know how ill get my legally owned games onto the device with no umd

You wait for D_A to crack it. ;) :D

mike_jmg
June 1st, 2009, 01:33
maybe you can send the serial number of your UMD and they'll give you a free download, I guess that might work

at least until DAX can make something about it :thumbup:

darkriku2000
June 1st, 2009, 04:06
iso patcher?

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
June 1st, 2009, 12:24
woah , it suddenly looks abit more attractive ^^ need to wait and see.

Aryn
June 2nd, 2009, 10:02
OK...so the PSP Go has a smaller size, smaller screen, missing several buttons, no memory card or UMD slot...what can it actually do that the original PSP can not? I am not sold yet, SONY.

Stone Temple Pilots
June 2nd, 2009, 12:21
Very very cool. I actually really dig the Mylo look. I just want to know how this feels in my hands. And I how I get my UMD games on to a UMD-less PSP.

bish
June 2nd, 2009, 13:42
it'll be locked down tighter than an MP's bank account!

Zack
June 2nd, 2009, 13:45
If this gets hacked to run homebrew you can count me in on buying one.