PDA

View Full Version : Is Sony's PSPgo just what you needed, or an overpriced rehash?

wraggster
June 2nd, 2009, 23:32
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadgetmobile.com/media/2009/06/pspgo-poll-1.jpg

Apparently word is slowly trickling through Sony that its brand new handheld is actually called PSPgo (at least according to the second of two pieces of PR we've seen on the thing). We're guessing a similar word of mouth pace will operate in the inverse to communicate to top Sony brass that most folks think $250 for years-old gaming handheld hardware is a little steep these days. Of course, sequestered in our Engadget HQ and flush with cash from a hefty hit and run settlement a couple years back, we're more curious as to what you think about the price and feature set here. Don't be shy, just let it all out.
Is Sony's PSPgo just what you needed, or an overpriced rehash?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/02/is-sonys-pspgo-just-what-you-needed-or-an-overpriced-rehash/

apex05
June 3rd, 2009, 00:17
I reckon that's gonna translate to a £200 UK price, but i been keeping a close eye on the Pound-Dollar exchange rate and it's gone up 0.1 cents every day this week, and people are predicting it could get up to 1.8 by the end of the year so at $250 i'll just ship one over.

osgeld
June 3rd, 2009, 00:32
My psp phat is still the only one i have

i can cram 16 gigs of memory on it, and it already works with the software that i already shelled out hard earned money for

waaaaaaay to go betamax, sony

I do not seem them in the game biz for too much longer, this generation sony IS the HD SEGA

Too much crap hardware on the market, no real software to go nuts over, and the final price tag for hardware never ends

Plus it is confusing to joe public, can you imagine some out of touch mom going to the store on xmas loading up on psp games just to find out they are utterly useless cause johnny has a go! Like it or not that is a major percentage of game buyers, loose their trust and its over, look at 16 bit SEGA

Sony really should have stopped at the psp 2k, and focused on a PSP2, with features that people wanted. Now they are just further segmenting their own market, causing confusion, and hurting themselves all over post-it-note updates to EXPENSIVE to develop hardware

pkmaximum
June 3rd, 2009, 00:37
honestly I think it's a waste of time to what they're doing.

stanfy86
June 3rd, 2009, 00:55
no dual analog = fail

MicroNut
June 3rd, 2009, 00:55
this generation sony IS the HD SEGA

Sony is the new Sega.
Its strange how "HD Sega" seems to sum it up even better.

I do like my PS3.

The 360 is winning because its easier to develop for and the consumer price is right.
I just have no desire to be a 360 consumer.
I know that there are many that prefer the games the 360 has over the PS3.

As for the PSP-Go ... 32x Add-on? :confused:
I just don't know enough about it yet to have an opinion.

PSP Go Official Specs
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009/06/02/psp-go-official-specs/

Iceman^2
June 3rd, 2009, 01:23
This will probably stop all the piracy and homebrew on the PSP because nobody will want to buy this overpriced POS. I buy 99% of my games used, so the whole downloadble thing is bad for me. This is just Sony's way of trying to make more money. I'm happy with my current PSP and I think this is a bad route for Sony to take.

kz_se7en
June 3rd, 2009, 02:22
no dual analog, fail
what about the ram, screen resolution, come on sony, give us more detail.

kyyubidx
June 3rd, 2009, 02:35
For those who claim SOny will be be the next SEGA, think again. SEGA died because they were plain stupid and they deserved to...

on that read E3 Sony analysis here: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23897

On the PSP Go! subject:

Stop crying and moaning for dual analogs and touchscreens, you'll never get it. Touchscreens are nothing but eye-candy and dual analogs are unessesary on a casual gaming console... so yeah...
it is over-priced though... but we'll see if Sony does something about the games we already own

MicroNut
June 3rd, 2009, 02:55
no dual analog, fail
what about the ram, screen resolution, come on sony, give us more detail.
Well ok here they are on the front page.

Official Spec Sheet

$249 price point?

PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) go (PSP-N1000)

Product Name PSP(R) (PlayStation(R)Portable) go

External Approx. 128 x 16.5 x 69 mm (width x height x depth) dimensions (excludes largest projection)

Weight Approx. 158g / 5.6 oz (including internal battery)

CPU PSP(R) CPU (System clock frequency 1-333MHz, Main memory 64MB)

Display 3.8 inches (16:9) full-transparent type, TFT drive, 480 x 272 pixel, Approx. 16,770,000 colors displayed

Sound Built-in stereo speakers
Built-in microphone

Main Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11b) (Wi-Fi)

input/ Bluetooth(R)2.0 (EDR)
output High Speed USB (USB2.0)
Memory Stick Micro(TM)(M2(TM))
Analog Video Out
Microphone
Main
connectors Multi use connector
(DC IN / OUT, USB, Video Output / Input, Sound Input / Output)
Headset / Microphone connector
Memory Stick Micro(TM)(M2(TM)) slot Key / Switches Directional buttons (up/down/right/left), analog stick, Action buttons (triangle, circle, cross, square), L/R buttons

START button, SELECT button, PS button
POWER/HOLD switch, WLAN switch display button, sound button, volume (+ / -) buttons

Power sources:
Lithium-Ion rechargeable internal battery pack
AC adaptor
USB power supply

Internal memory 16GB (Flash Memory)

Supported PSP(R) Game Profile
Access Control Region code, parental control

Wireless Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11b) (Wi-Fi)
communications
(Infrastructure mode / Ad hoc mode (connect up to 16 consoles))
Bluetooth(R)2.0 (EDR)
Supplied AC adaptor
accessories USB cable
CD-ROM (Media Go)

*Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.

Supported coded (in Memory Stick Micro (M2™) / Internal memory)

Video * Memory Stick Video Format

MPEG-4 Simple Profile (AAC)
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile (AAC)

* MPEG-4
MPEG-4 Simple Profile (AAC)
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile (CABAC) (AAC)
Baseline Profile (AAC)

* AVI
Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
Motion JPEG (u-Law)

Music
* Memory Stick Audio Format
ATRAC3(TM)*8
ATRAC3plus(TM)*8

o MP3
* MP3 (MPEG-1/2 Audio Layer3)
* MP4 (MPEG-4 AAC)
* WAVE (Linear PCM)
* WMA (Windows Media(R) Audio 9 Standard only)*9
Photo * JPEG (DCF2.0/Exif2.21 compliant)
* TIFF
* BMP
* GIF
* PNG

Auriman1
June 3rd, 2009, 03:03
As with the DSi, I will not be buying this unnecessary and undesired extension of an already existing product.

If they REALLY want my money, let's see some actual improvements, not uglier-than-predecessor consoles packed with gimmicks and lacking in basic functionality which is available in earlier models.

MicroNut
June 3rd, 2009, 03:08
For those who claim SOny will be be the next SEGA, think again. SEGA died because they were plain stupid and they deserved to...

on that read E3 Sony analysis here: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23897

On the PSP Go! subject:

Stop crying and moaning for dual analogs and touchscreens, you'll never get it. Touchscreens are nothing but eye-candy and dual analogs are unessesary on a casual gaming console... so yeah...
it is over-priced though... but we'll see if Sony does something about the games we already own

No one is crying or moaning please don't exaggerate.
That is a good article. A good read thank you.

I like this quoted from the end:

The Announcement Sony Needed To Make -- And Didn't
"There was no price cut for any of Sony's platforms announced at the briefing, as just about everyone had hoped there'd be.
Many eyebrows lifted at the PSP Go!'s $249 price point
-- the company is making such a strong push to broaden the handheld's userbase, yet tags it so high?"

kyyubidx
June 3rd, 2009, 03:11
no need to thank...

i might have exaggerated but it just pisses me off to see people just complaining and complaining (...) the 3000 will still be on the market so there's no harm done.

@your post about specs:

I saw AVI in there... so that means they'll finally start supporting it?

MicroNut
June 3rd, 2009, 03:25
no need to thank...

i might have exaggerated but it just pisses me off to see people just complaining and complaining (...) the 3000 will still be on the market so there's no harm done.

@your post about specs:

I saw AVI in there... so that means they'll finally start supporting it?

I really hope AVI is in and done well.
I am sure they will improve it.
How much though probably depends on how good the PSP-Go does.
There are so many avi codecs and flavors of encoding.
However, I was shocked to see DivX3.11a support on the PS3.

What I want to know about the PSP-GO.
1. Did sony fix the hardwired interlaced screen problem that the PSP3000 has?
2. Can I run Skype on it through my blu-tooth headset?
3. What is the battery life?
4. I have minor concerns about possible DRM problems.

Obviously I want to use the PSP-Go as a blu-tooth Skype phone with decent battery life.

D.S.Darkness
June 3rd, 2009, 05:11
touch screen and/or dual thumbstix are a must, especially with the full keyboard and first person shooters

chuggman
June 3rd, 2009, 05:56
As with the DSi, I will not be buying this unnecessary and undesired extension of an already existing product.

If they REALLY want my money, let's see some actual improvements, not uglier-than-predecessor consoles packed with gimmicks and lacking in basic functionality which is available in earlier models.

At least the DSI had a bigger screen, not a smaller one like the psp go. And it also has a downloadable store added. Not much has came out on the store worth buying yet. But it could become a lot better.

As for the PSP... The new one adds bluetooth. We should all shout for joy (sarcastically). Then it adds 16GB of memory. Good but not great as we can buy a memory stick pro duo with 16GB for 120$ish.

So if you don't have a PSP already buy a psp 2000 with custom formware ability (if you can find a new one it would be like 170$ or 130ish used), then buy a 16GB Memory stick pro duo for $119.99 from sony. With custom firmware you can run all your games from the memory stick anyway. If you get a used one in awesome condition then for about 250$ (+ any costs incurred getting Custom Firmware on it) you can have a ultimate homebrew playing PSP with real Game storage on memory stick and have the ability to convert your old PSOne game and run them on the PSP as well.

Justise
June 3rd, 2009, 07:56
WoW! It can play AVI? what a surprise.

It is a good thing that they accepted that UMDs sucks. But I would expect anything alse than digital games. I ****ING HATE DIGITAL-ONLY GAMES!

_X_Zero
June 3rd, 2009, 08:09
epic waste of time...
PSP2 plz

Paris/Tokyo
June 3rd, 2009, 08:30
I would have been on my to-buy list, if it had simple touchscreen (for web browsing and music/video control, not for gaming). As is right now, it looks like the screen has to be up all the time to do anything, which sort of defeats the purpose of the slide-out.

I've been looking for a multifunctioning portable for a while, but the Go seems more cumbersome than the other PSP models. At this point I'm interested in buying another Sony portable, the X-1000 Walkman.. which-- surprise-- has a touchscreen.

newb_fo_life
June 3rd, 2009, 12:20
looks s**t,not getting one :]

Pandora here i come :D

havoc_012
June 3rd, 2009, 12:23
...this generation sony IS the HD SEGA

Unlike Sony however, there were really good games on the sega systems. 09/09/09 believe!!

In all seriousness though, you would think that the psp go would be cheaper than the psp 3000, considering that it doesn't have a umd drive, a smaller screen and whatnot. It will be interesting if sony is really going to jump into digital distribution with both feet or if this is going to fail miserably.

fpcreator2000
June 3rd, 2009, 14:59
MicroNut, thank you for providing the specs.

kyyubidx, I would have to disagree with you about the the touchscreen, specially on the PSP. Having a touchscreen keyboard in place of the "Phone dial" we have would be a much needed improvement. As for the dual analog, well it would have been a nice extra, but not a necessity.

Sony, pissing off existing customers by releasing a system update that is not in any way, shape or form backwards compatible with the system is updating is a big mistake will come back to haunt you. Adding 16GB of storage, but removing UMD, shrinking the screen and adding a $250 price tag does not help your cause. Yes many new firmware features have been added, but not enough to add value to this system.

Someone earlier said that this new iteration will be the end of homebrew on the PSP is sadly mistaken. The firmware has not really changed (not that drastically), and as long as you have people out there who consider this hardware update a challenge from Sony, the harder they will try to meet that challenge.

Well, I'll end this rant by saying this:
I'm happy with my PSP2000 Model (CF 5.02 GEN-A), and I will not buy this new PSP.

Now for a 3 megapixel camera, and a touchscreen with some basic apps (paint program), then I might think about buying this system (never going to happen).

kyyubidx
June 3rd, 2009, 17:23
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009/06/03/psp-go-hands-on-impressions/

for those curious to know about the PSPgo

osgeld
June 3rd, 2009, 18:44

i fail to see the difference, when sega shot them selfs in the foot ...

had 5 systems on the market, sony will now have 4

borked compatibility tween the systems, sony is now doing this with GO!

had a overpriced, more difficult to program white elephant flagship, while the PS3 is no saturn, its in a similar predicament

and created alot of confusion in the market, some ps3 titles get bonus crap IF they have a model Y, model X owners are out of luck, Since when did you have to start reading system requirements for a dumb console game?

Same thing with the GO, and my first statement PSP software sitting in the store RIGHT NEXT to the GO! will not work on the GO! try explaining to an average parent that psp software doesnt work on a psp

kyyubidx
June 3rd, 2009, 19:47
i fail to see the difference, when sega shot them selfs in the foot ...

had 5 systems on the market, sony will now have 4

I fail to see your point... While bad business decisions had their weight, the only reason SEGA died is because they dropped the DC in favor of the PS2.

borked compatibility tween the systems, sony is now doing this with GO!

had a overpriced, more difficult to program white elephant flagship, while the PS3 is no saturn, its in a similar predicament

AFAIK the year is still not over and the TGS is the next big show, considering Sony's main focus is re-taking over Japan, a price drop seems more logical at TGS09. Think about it for a while. Sony isn't THAT stupid, and while their E3 09 presentation was impressive, there is still much to be done.

and created alot of confusion in the market, some ps3 titles get bonus crap IF they have a model Y, model X owners are out of luck, Since when did you have to start reading system requirements for a dumb console game?

The PS3 was botched in the beginning but it seems to be getting back on track... Will you give time to things? Or do you expect bad business decisions to be fixed over a short time span? Obviously you need to re-think your position... Plus I doubt the problem is THAT bad...

Same thing with the GO, and my first statement PSP software sitting in the store RIGHT NEXT to the GO! will not work on the GO! try explaining to an average parent that psp software doesnt work on a psp

Wrong. The 3000 will still be sold so what's the big deal anyway? You just sound like your ranting for the fun of it. The Go! is just a second choice when it comes to which psp you want: the Go! or the 3000, that simple. Plus, I highly doubt Sony will leave the cries for compability with already bought games unanswered.

Shrygue
June 3rd, 2009, 20:01
£200 the price tag might be? More expensive than when the Value Pack orginally came out (£180) but less than the Giga Pack (£235). In any case, I'm not getting the PSP Go for I'm lacking in spare cash these days anyway.

Nokiaman
June 3rd, 2009, 20:06
Waste of time. I'll stick with my Slim :D

mike_jmg
June 3rd, 2009, 22:40
I don't quite like it yet, as I need to feel it in my hands to make a valid opinion.

But so far I think is too big for what I think they intended, still it is a smaller fully functional PSP wich is great

I don't like using M2 cards, they should just drop that stupid format, in fact I think I saw an anouncement somewhere, so why does this thing continues using it?

If DAX gets homebrew working on it I might get one

kyyubidx
June 4th, 2009, 00:57
Confirmed price for the PSPgo in the UK: 179.99£

let the rest of the world be robbed blind -.-

osgeld
June 4th, 2009, 00:58
I fail to see your point... While bad business decisions had their weight, the only reason SEGA died is because they dropped the DC in favor of the PS2.

no the DC got devastated by the lack of 3rd party support due to the poor decisions in their previous generation

AFAIK the year is still not over and the TGS is the next big show, considering Sony's main focus is re-taking over Japan, a price drop seems more logical at TGS09. Think about it for a while. Sony isn't THAT stupid, and while their E3 09 presentation was impressive, there is still much to be done.

This generation should be just about over, little late isnt it?

The PS3 was botched in the beginning but it seems to be getting back on track... Will you give time to things? Or do you expect bad business decisions to be fixed over a short time span? Obviously you need to re-think your position... Plus I doubt the problem is THAT bad...

short time span? hardware typically lasts only 5-6 years, were in year 4, so yea i guess the need to finally get their asses in gear

Wrong. The 3000 will still be sold so what's the big deal anyway? You just sound like your ranting for the fun of it. The Go! is just a second choice when it comes to which psp you want: the Go! or the 3000, that simple. Plus, I highly doubt Sony will leave the cries for compability with already bought games unanswered.

Yes now you have 2 systems on the market that are incompatible to eachother, WITH the same name on the front, thats just brilliant,

not only does it create competition with themselves, all the while getting handed by MS and NIN, it creates confusion

and yea i might be going out of my way to argue the point, but your responding and frankly soundling like a "sony can do no wrong" fanboi

and finally i have no doubts they will solve the media format crisis, they will just make you buy the same game twice, they already do it now

kyyubidx
June 4th, 2009, 01:07
This generation should be just about over, little late isnt it?

this generation is over for the wii and the 360 my friend.

short time span? hardware typically lasts only 5-6 years, were in year 4, so yea i guess the need to finally get their asses in gear

ten years at least.

Yes now you have 2 systems on the market that are incompatible to eachother, WITH the same name on the front, thats just brilliant,

not only does it create competition with themselves, all the while getting handed by MS and NIN, it creates confusion

and yea i might be going out of my way to argue the point, but your responding and frankly soundling like a "sony can do no wrong" fanboi

and finally i have no doubts they will solve the media format crisis, they will just make you buy the same game twice, they already do it now

I still fail to see your point on this. How does it create competition? How does it create a crisis? You're over-reacting big-time and that's why I called you off... Wait and see is always the best tactic... Raving on forums won't solve anything... It's not like Sony cares bout what we say right?

And no, I'm not a fanboi (or however you write it), I'm the first to call off Sony's bad moves after it's confirmed to bad move

e.g. UK 179.99 price tag on the UK? you kidding me? I can spend an lowcost airplane ticked to go to the UK, buy a PSPgo and I'd still save about 20€ :|

osgeld
June 4th, 2009, 01:51
the problem with it is, in any shop that sells psp stuff, there is a gigantic rack of software you cant use on this new psp, and sitting there inside the same glass case there will be a go,

we both know you can get the other model but joe dumbass public doesn't

kyyubidx
June 4th, 2009, 02:15
yeah... but shouldn't shop keepers warn people about that? I mean, when i went to get AV Cables for a PSP 2000 i was warned before buying that they would only work on a HDTV...