PDA

View Full Version : SimpleAmp version 1 - Shadow Studio 2006

wraggster
March 28th, 2006, 01:30
Sephzero (http://www.psp-ita.com/forum/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25136&sid=7cd76ab35bc19cff3b84f8f4222a85ee) has released a new MP3 Player for the PSP, heres the details:

Features:

- Reading of files contained in ms0:\PSP\MUSIC\ (no subdirectories at the moment)
- launch mp3 files up to 12MB
- scrolling animated filelist
- Show Battery
- Show Time
- Switch to Prev./Next. Song
- Runs at 333Mhz Cpu mode
Tested with mp3 files at these bitrates: 128,160,192,256,320 ( don't know for others bitrates )

Screenshot and Download Via Comments

vettacossx
March 28th, 2006, 02:33
gr8 i love seeing "media player" like apps just wish more of them had visualizations and audio/visul effect maybe even cutomizable or compatable with standard media player visualizations thanx for another gr8 realease

ByteMaster
March 28th, 2006, 04:18
For a first release it's OK I guess. It's more than I ever released for the PSP :)

I have no idea why it runs at 333MHz, Sony's mp3 player doesn't need it, in fact, to spare battery life see if you can make it work at sub-222MHz speeds?!
Why not create "plugins" so it can run anything a plugin exists for à la WinAMP? Just create the format, release an SDK for it and the plugins will be made by others.
I agree with above poster, use similar plugins for visuals (for starters a few simple ones)?
Why only 12MB? Why not stream/buffer the content off the MS (or the WiFi for that matter)? I guess fading or gapless between songs is also out of the question.
Why didn't the developer test with low bitrates (e.g. audiobooks, podcasts)?

WinAMP ruled for a long time because it was lean, mean, and played anything you had a plugin for, and had good visuals. We need something similar on the PSP and this could be it.

StealthCP
March 28th, 2006, 17:04
If mp3s are encoded at a frequency of 22050, they can be easily run at 111Mhz, with buffer. Seeing as you don't have a buffer system, as you load the entire song into memory, as this is not good for big songs, but good for clock speed, I do not swee why you need 333 Mhz to run this app. It seems a lot of developers use it to make their apps look good, while I am unimpressed with the quality of this player at this current time.

As always, there can't be just the one app for everything, and mabye this app'll take over others soon.

Hawkeyefile
April 5th, 2006, 07:41
or use ogg vorbis, as it can run at a lower freq and bitrate than mp3.