PDA

View Full Version : E3 2009: Nintendo Ditched New Handheld

wraggster
June 5th, 2009, 00:26
Nintendo's President Satoru Iwata has revealed that the company had completed design of a successor to the DS, but have since decided not to release the console.

"In the history of Nintendo there are several such examples," Iwata told CNBC in an interview, picked up by Edge Online, "But when we are launching new hardware, the most important is thing is to sustain the momentum. If introducing new hardware won't do anything to do that, well…"

The DS has proved a worldwide phenomenon, and the third iteration of the hardware was recently released in the shape of the Nintendo DSi.

Iwata also addressed calls for a Wii price cut in the wake of flagging sales. "Right now, we have no plans at all about a price cut," came his response. "We are going to start launching the stronger software in the later half of the year — and we are confident we will regain the momentum.

"People often talk about the price cut as if it's an almighty weapon. The fact of the matter is that what a price cut can do is rather limited."

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/991/991484p1.html

DanTheManMS
June 5th, 2009, 01:16
I'd say it's probably a good move on their part. The DS is still going strong, especially with the DSi so recently released (though why it's so popular is still beyond me). In the time that we'll be waiting, perhaps we'll get better hardware than what they were planning, or the price will go down due to cheaper components, or something of the sort.

kaferenza
June 5th, 2009, 08:58
So instead of something new and exciting they dropped this turd on everyone? But hey, kids and females seem to be loving the new DSi though I have to agree with the previous poster in that I just cannot understand the attraction to the device.

wiggy fuzz
June 5th, 2009, 10:13
i only got it because

1: my green lite got nicked
2: i was kinda hoping for an announcement on virtualconsole for the dsi :(

my biggest beef is the poor battery life. seriously, i could leave my lite on standby for ages, and still be able to at least open the console up after 2 days and safely save the game (and play a little).

can't do that with the dsi. standby time seems to have been decimated.