PDA

View Full Version : New Wii Exploit in New Super Smash Bros Brawl Game

wraggster
June 6th, 2009, 09:36
news via ninscene (http://nintendo-scene.com/1597#comments)

Comex has released a video showing a working Wii exploit in the Super Smash Bros. Brawl game. Once released, it will give Wii owners another way to install homebrew onto their systems.

http://www.youtube.com/v/4YAXKjWBA9k

From the release notes:

Exploit by comex, ELF loading code by Team Twiizers. Bug used was discovered by svpe.

This exploit exploits a vulnerability in SSBB’s stage builder code to run arbitrary homebrew code. Currently it will load an elf file from /boot.elf on the SD card.

This exploit differs from others in the fact that it is quite difficult for Nintendo to patch. There is no method on the Wii for patching games, and as this exploit does not go through the System Menu, it can not be patched by Nintendo at this time.

Join us in #sssb on EFNet (irc.efnet.net) to discuss! Release is when its done (aka: soon).

All you have to do to use this exploit is delete all custom stages on your Wii, then copy over the file. When you etner the Stage Builder menu, it will automatically run /boot.elf on SD.

DON’T NAME THIS EXPLOIT! LEAVE THAT TO COMEX!

Interesting news, homebrew goes on once more :), funny how all the biggest exploits are from Nintendos biggest games :P

Jay6
June 8th, 2009, 12:04
I guess this'd work if bannerbomb exploit gets patched... Will it even be possible for Nintendo to patch this new exploit?

Qmark
June 8th, 2009, 13:38
If it requires data to be moved to system memory via the system menu, it will be patched.
If it's reading the messed up stage directly from the SD, then it's not very likely to be patched unless a new run of SSBB discs is pressed.

sonikku88
June 14th, 2009, 15:53
Can someone please direct me to a guide where I can find out how to take advantage of this new exploit? I've never run homebrew on my Wii before and I'm on 4.0E.

djdynamite123
June 14th, 2009, 17:59
this exploit isn't released yet.

VampDude
June 14th, 2009, 22:39
Will it even be possible for Nintendo to patch this new exploit?

Possibly the very day the new exploit is released, they can work faster than the average bedroom/basement coders.

Qmark
June 14th, 2009, 22:46
There is no known way for Nintendo to hotpatch Wii games like the 'updates' for titles on X360 or PS3 work. The only way (and the usual way) they'll hose this exploit is by having the system menu scan the stage data as it's being copied to the system memory, similarly to how they hosed Twilight Hack by refusing to copy the hacked ZTP saves.

They very well could lift the code from Ocarina/Gecko and patch games similarly to how Gecko runs cheatcodes, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

h2923j42n2
June 15th, 2009, 17:29
There is no known way for Nintendo to hotpatch Wii games like the 'updates' for titles on X360 or PS3 work. The only way (and the usual way) they'll hose this exploit is by having the system menu scan the stage data as it's being copied to the system memory, similarly to how they hosed Twilight Hack by refusing to copy the hacked ZTP saves.

They very well could lift the code from Ocarina/Gecko and patch games similarly to how Gecko runs cheatcodes, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

As far as I know, this file is stored on the SD card, and not on the Wii memory. Therefore, any changes to the System Menu will not necessarily be able to break this, unless they patch the game on the fly in a similar manner to Ocarina.

For what it's worth, I also doubt that Nintendo would delete things off of your SD card without your permission.