PDA

View Full Version : PSP Go lacks mini USB, compatibility with existing accessories, common sense

wraggster
June 8th, 2009, 16:07
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/06/psp-go-accessories-20090608.jpg

Confession time: we weren't exactly charmed by Sony's PSP Go when Sony made the thing official. It's not that we're particularly fond of UMD (quite the contrary as a matter of fact), rather we found it a little hard to stomach a slimmer device that offers nearly the same hardware as its predecessor, swapping an optical drive for more storage, yet will cost nearly twice as much. Factor in the cost of all new accessories and things get even less appealing, with confirmation that the Go lacks a standard mini USB port on top, meaning things like PSP keyboards and Sony's GPS accessory are on a fast-track to obsolescence. Even current A/V cables and chargers won't work thanks to a new multifunction port on the base -- but Sony will be quite happy to sell you new ones. Is this the price of progress, or an attempt to boost profit margins? It's not good news for gamers, regardless.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/08/psp-go-lacks-mini-usb-compatbility-with-existing-accessories-c/

osgeld
June 8th, 2009, 18:34
yea didnt see that coming

GPeter7
June 8th, 2009, 19:34
Yes, the SONY boosting a profit from any possible way, :mad:

jungletek
June 8th, 2009, 20:25
Standard Sony practice really... yet another proprietary format that nobody wants or asked for.

Shrygue
June 8th, 2009, 20:31
Okay that takes the mick, having no mini USB port is a big fail. Yet another reason not to get the PSP Go.

apex05
June 8th, 2009, 20:44
I think Sony was good with the Ps1,2 & 3 with making games and accessories interchangeable, but this is just blatant profit mongering.

PoorKingz
June 8th, 2009, 20:51
I predict it will drop to $200 soon.

brasssmunky
June 8th, 2009, 21:27
i will still be getting a go.

the price point does not bother me seeing as i bought my psp1k back at launch.

my nub is broken... well, something for it is, i have replaced the little joystick assembly, still tracks down and to the left :/

so i need a new psp, but i couldn't bring myself to buy a 2k or 3k... i just saw no reason to get one of those when i basically already bought them but a little thicker.

now, just because i'm getting a go doesnt mean i agree with what sony is doing

infact, i hate what sony is doing.... once again making a proprietary interface to smosh compatibility and help them make more money

but, other than that port problem... i think the go is solid personally.
i never really had many accessories for my first psp, so i'm fine there

i just want my smaller form factor (fit in my pocket plz), bluetooth, and 16 gigs internal with a slot still...

if its never cracked for CFW (needs mah emulatorrzzzzzzz etccc)
i'll just live with it and get cool stuff off PSN :)

Cevius
June 8th, 2009, 22:25
If it both charges and transfers data from the one port, then I would at least be pacified somewhat. I don't see any cables to run between the AC adapter and the PSP Go, so I assume the AC adapter has a USB port on it.

Anyone know if it uses the same power port as the good PSP line?

osgeld
June 8th, 2009, 22:33
ah nevermind, im not spending more than a xbox 360 on the same thing i already have, and therefore do not have any worries about plopping down another 200 for cables

darkriku2000
June 8th, 2009, 22:46
Great, Sony is becoming Nintendo...

sappo
June 9th, 2009, 00:40
Great, Sony is becoming Nintendo...

At least Nintendo knows how to make things look good. And it actually adds new functions too (see the DSi) instead of just repackaging the same thing with a different form, a lot of things missing and a massive price raise :D

fpcreator2000
June 9th, 2009, 00:41
If it had a touchscreen, then it might have a reason, but no miniUSB?! 16GB storage instead?! I can just as easily buy 16GB memory card (8GB on official firmware, I think), or MSPRODUO miniSD adapter for 32GB. This is inexcusable!

What a waste of R&D! SONY! HELLO! Touchscreen! Keep the miniUSB, it doesn't hurt your cause! At least Nintendo doesn't dick their customers this way, but hey this just means thatI will NOT be buying a PSP Go.

havoc_012
June 9th, 2009, 02:51
Standard Sony practice really... yet another proprietary format that nobody wants or asked for.

QFT

Paris/Tokyo
June 9th, 2009, 06:57
It's funny how open the original PSPs are, especially compared to other Sony hardware when PSP first came out. That philosophy is nowhere to be found in the Go.

I don't know who Sony expects to attract with the Go. High-end gadget consumers won't like the lack of touchscreen or applications that every similarly priced portable has, and the PSP userbase won't like having to rebuy their games and accessories if they wish to upgrade.

Nokiaman
June 9th, 2009, 15:01
WTH. No miniusb? Oh thats stupid Sony.

wolfpack
June 9th, 2009, 20:43
...Dont tell me you have to re-download them if you delete the games off of the psp... Its faster to just store them on the pc for later when you want to use them again >>_<<

Apoklepz
June 9th, 2009, 22:11
Basically...it sucks.

On the bright side...GPS and Camera prices will go down fast pretty soon, so I might probably get those for my Phat...which is still the one and only trooper that's been with me all this time.