PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo admits to scrapping new handheld plans in the past three years

wraggster
June 8th, 2009, 16:40
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/06/gameboyds580.jpg

Nintendo's talkative global president Satoru Iwata turned a few heads when he told CNBC that the company had another handheld gaming system completed and ready for production sometime in the past three years, but that it ultimately decided not to release it. Though he didn't give any details on the handheld, he did say that, "in the history of Nintendo there are several such examples." We can only hope that some kind of wild, awesome Gameboy prototype hits our desk one day. Nintendo's most recent handheld, the DSi, has moved over a million units, including around 435,000 during its first week of sale in the U.S.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/08/nintendo-admits-to-scrapping-new-handheld-plans-in-the-past-thre/

Qmark
June 8th, 2009, 20:06
The big rumor from about "three years" ago was a portable gamecube.

darkriku2000
June 8th, 2009, 22:55
^ A portable system with gamecube graphics would be pretty cool actually

wraggster
June 8th, 2009, 23:05
i think the market could quite easily support a portable gamecube and a DSI/DSLite

the portable gamecube could be the PSP Killer

LDAsh
June 9th, 2009, 02:53
Somehow I don't think Gamecube-power would be fitting in anyone's pocket cheaply for a little while yet. It was only a few years ago and those things would need to make quite a warm spot on the loungeroom carpet.

I think there's a point that handhelds still need to catch up to, still around the N64-standard in terms of rendering. Like a PSP with better res and more texture/geometry power, but still not quite Gamecube.

For those who expect a $200 PS3-standard handheld anytime soon (I have read such comments too!), had better wake up and realise that industrialised-nanosynthesis isn't a reality just yet. Silly dreamin'.

JDvorak
June 9th, 2009, 05:15
I would just be happy with a handheld that could play flash, java, and an n64 emulator at full speed. Oh well keep dreaming!!! Oh wait there are handheld pc's that do this.