PDA

View Full Version : Square-Enix Wants Better Chrono Trigger Sales

Shrygue
June 8th, 2009, 20:56
via IGN (http://uk.games.ign.com/articles/992/992344p1.html)

Hoping for a new Chrono Trigger game? Better start buying your grandmother and her dog a copy, too.

Speaking to RPGsite.com (http://www.rpgsite.net/news/342.html), Square Enix Senior Vice President Shinji Hashimoto says the franchise hasn't sold well enough to warrant development of a new title in the series. When told fans were clamoring for a new game, Hashimoto shrugged it off.

"That's not what the sales tell me!" Hashimoto said. "If people want a sequel, they should buy more!"

While sales of the Nintendo DS version of the Super Nintendo classic were somewhat sluggish, with worldwide sales reaching close to 800K last year, it doesn't help the game originally hit retail shelves at a ridiculous $39.99 price point in the North America.

If Square-Enix wants more sales, how about they stop overcharging fans for 14-year old ports?

royvedas
June 8th, 2009, 21:15
I totally agree.

People want a S-E-Q-U-E-L. They don't want to re-buy a game they've played on SNES and PS1. Understand, fool!

darkriku2000
June 8th, 2009, 22:54
^ I to agree as well also

Seriously though, I agree. Granted I did buy a copy, but that's because the only other ones that I've played where ROMs / ISOs, but I can see why people who bought the 2 previous releases don't feel like buying this one

User Name
June 9th, 2009, 02:15
Yeah I couldn't afford it PS2 games are around that price when they came out its ridiculous. They need to stop looking at their Money/Greed-O-Meter. They need to look at the economy and what people can afford it shouldn't be about how much money they make it should be how much fun it is.

Flygon
June 9th, 2009, 03:53
You want proper sales figures? Count how many times the games been pirated.

Aryn
June 9th, 2009, 08:59
If you want us to buy the game then REMAKE it. By that I mean actually do to it what was done to two final fantasy games on the DS. Seriously, whatw as done there was awesome. That, and a side quest system (perhaps one where you join a guild and perform errands and missions for people in order to gain rewards) would make the game worth buying. But one extra dungeon and a couple of bells and whistles will not be enough to make people buy the game again.

Eviltaco64
June 9th, 2009, 09:29
Square puts profit before their fans. This is great from a financial point of view, and it explains why they'll jump on the "most/more popular console" boat. Why else do you think they're releasing Final Fantasy XIII on the 360 in the two regions where it's outsold PS3?

Chrono Trigger was still an excellent game.. One of the best on the SNES. I'm guessing that Chrono Cross just didn't sell well enough for a sequel. I'm sure they're testing how well Chrono fares in terms of sales since a sequel has been in demand for such a long time. If it doesn't sell well enough, then it'll probably go back to being ignored.

BastarB
June 9th, 2009, 10:09
Well, what I have heard, the game wasn't released with multi language support here in Europe, which may have damage the sales figures alot, especially in the younger group of players. They rather take a game in their own language instead of a game in english. I may be wrong...

WhizzBang
June 9th, 2009, 10:54
Square puts profit before their fans. This is great from a financial point of view, and it explains why they'll jump on the "most/more popular console" boat. Why else do you think they're releasing Final Fantasy XIII on the 360 in the two regions where it's outsold PS3?

Why is this an example of Square putting profit before their fans? If the XBox 360 outsold the PS3 in 2 territories then it is natural to assume many of Squares fans have XBox 360s and not PS3s. Unless Square have any reason to believe western RPG fans are mostly loyally buying PS3's there is no reason for Square to stay PS exclusive.

Chrono Trigger on the DS didn't offer enough new things to tempt me to buy it again (I previously completed it on the PSOne), but I wouldn't mind picking up the NDS version and play ing it through if I see it reduced/second hand at a much lower price in the next year or so.

indaman
June 9th, 2009, 18:49
"If people want a sequel, they should buy more!"

Then some of the editors, should produce more...

In france, this game is very rare, because "Koch Media" produced only a few cartridges...

Many person search it and on ebay, price of this game is sometimes 30% more than the regular retail price.

I don't care, I bought it the day it was out, I love this game.

NeroMaverick
June 9th, 2009, 19:03
I think Squares just got some vendetta against the Chrono series, whenever anybody mentions the games they're like, "we can't afford or warrant making that" and every time fans try to take it into their own hands they're threatened with a lawsuit. I'll give it to square that it is their game, and they can sue anybody infringing the copyright. But at least take into account the number of people trying to do their own sequel or remake.

In case you don't know I'm talking about Crimson Echoes and CT: Resurrection.

http://crimsonechoes.com
http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/

I really apologize for the war that this post might start

ChaoticanarchyX
June 13th, 2009, 05:58
people musta bought a whole lot of FF4 then to have made a sequal to that.....

ethd
June 13th, 2009, 18:21
I've got Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. Great games. I don't want to buy Chrono Trigger again just because they'll make a sequel to it if I do.
I'm kind of sick of Square-Enix thinking that people want to re-buy a game that has very few more features than the original for a large fraction of its original sale price. If it wasn't for The World Ends With You, I would have dropped Square-Enix entirely by now.

guymelef
June 13th, 2009, 19:52
SquEnix is stalling.

There are plenty of fans for most of their legacy titles.

I wish people would stop talking to execs. They always have an excuse, and never comment on rumors, and never give in to fans. The direct porting must stop. Chrono cross was a completely different game and only loosely (almost by accident) based on chrono trigger. The sequay between the two games was lost in translation and only available in japan on a digital distribution network that never made it anywhere. I loved the PS1 adaptions of the FF series, I just wish that game+ would become standard in all RPG's. I spent at least a year or two on the original chrono trigger cart. But don't tell the execs that because they don't care. Don't write your own direct port or continuation in anything but fan fiction. They will shut you down and bury any future for the game that you have outlined out of spite.

Eviltaco64
June 14th, 2009, 01:54
Why is this an example of Square putting profit before their fans? If the XBox 360 outsold the PS3 in 2 territories then it is natural to assume many of Squares fans have XBox 360s and not PS3s. Unless Square have any reason to believe western RPG fans are mostly loyally buying PS3's there is no reason for Square to stay PS exclusive.

Chrono Trigger on the DS didn't offer enough new things to tempt me to buy it again (I previously completed it on the PSOne), but I wouldn't mind picking up the NDS version and play ing it through if I see it reduced/second hand at a much lower price in the next year or so.

In order for them to make a sequel and satisfy fans, more fans have to go out and buy the game. That is putting profit before fans, no? They can't just satisfy the fans if they'd be losing money (or make that much of a profit), though.

If you look at it, they've developed mostly for more popular consoles. So, if Sony fanboys buy PS3 and hope for some good Square-Enix RPGs, they might feel a little ripped off when a couple Square RPGs are 360 exclusive (Star Ocean, Infinite Undiscovery, or The Last Remnant which is a timed exclusive, really).