PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7: How do you like it?

nomi
June 9th, 2009, 21:01
So all you windows 7 beta testers, what do you think of Windows 7?

VampDude
June 9th, 2009, 21:47
Haven't tried it yet, though the next time I wipe my laptop (after it's fixed) I will be trying it. :)

I wonder if there are people working on it, like they did with Vista for when the time ran out?

Triv1um
June 9th, 2009, 22:33
It's alright.

It's amazing at the start, but once you start putting your normal apps on it, it clogs up just like vista.

It's no XP.

nomi
June 10th, 2009, 03:07
It's alright.

It's amazing at the start, but once you start putting your normal apps on it, it clogs up just like vista.

It's no XP.

What specs do you have and what build do you have?

I have been using Windows 7 for quite some time now its runs so much smoother then vista and xp. Also the boot up time has significantly improved for me.. It just seems so much of an update over both xp and vista.

Nomi

AlexSmith
June 10th, 2009, 06:46
I tested the new Windows 7 beta yesterday. It does install ok, but times were more like an hour than 20 minutes. When it is installed to hard drive, boot times were very impressive at 20 seconds. There is lots of eye candy, layout is very different. I did have some problems with it. It was giving an error every 30 minutes or so that my hard drive was having problems, and prompting me to backup all data now. I installed MSN Live Messenger, and got a prompt that "No CD in Drive", and then couldn't remove the message box until I rebooted. No amount of pushing the buttons or exit in the box would get rid of it.
I installed Stellarium, an astronomy program I use. I don't consider this as a program that eats resources, and typically get 70 FPS during use. Windows 7 ran the program, but at a measly 1 to 2 FPS ?!?! I was afraid to test any serious gaming after seeing this.
I do understand its a beta. and it was impressive in some area's. It installed all drivers nicely, updated at first boot, I had internet, and even had sound without installing anything.
Boot times were very impressive, opening and closing programs was snappy. It does look good, and I like some changes.

Triv1um
June 10th, 2009, 12:31
What specs do you have and what build do you have?

I have been using Windows 7 for quite some time now its runs so much smoother then vista and xp. Also the boot up time has significantly improved for me.. It just seems so much of an update over both xp and vista.

Nomi

It's only a shitty lappy,

- I've only got a AMD Athlon x2 dual-core 1.90ghz (TK-57)
- 2GB ram
-nVidia geforce 7000m on a nForce 600m mobo

And i'm running build 7048 Windows 7 64bit.

TacticalBread
June 10th, 2009, 19:15
It's alright.

It's no Linux.

fix'd.

Windows in general sucks.

Shrygue
June 10th, 2009, 21:30
I'm running Windows 7 RC1 beta 64 bit (bulid 7100) and it runs quite well, looking forward to the final retail build that comes out in October. Runs far better than Vista any day. My Playstation Eye camera works like a charm on it too (I use it for a webcam and recording) thanks to a software driver which works on 64 bit systems.

nomi
June 10th, 2009, 21:31
fix'd.

Windows in general sucks.

I could give you a 1000 reasons y the linux sucks compared to windows..

And i'm running build 7048 Windows 7 64bit.

Maybe that's why, build 7100 is a big upgrade, install it, its amazing.

masterchief929
June 10th, 2009, 21:51
It's alright. I like it better than vista but I don't know if i like it better than xp.

TacticalBread
June 11th, 2009, 00:49
I could give you a 1000 reasons y the linux sucks compared to windows..

if you've never used Linux, your opinion is void.

If you have, and still say it sucks, then you're probably too much of a computer illiterate to use it right, or appreciate it.

The only thing Windows has over Linux, is running Windows applications, which isn't the fault of either OS, it's the fault of the developers.

but hey, I don't care whether you like Linux or not. You go ahead and keep paying for your shitty OS, paying for software, and paying for anti-virus.

Triv1um
June 11th, 2009, 01:07
if you've never used Linux, your opinion is void.

If you have, and still say it sucks, then you're probably too much of a computer illiterate to use it right.

The only thing Windows has over Linux, is running Windows applications, which isn't the fault of either OS, it's the fault of the developers.

but hey, I don't care whether you like Linux or not. You go ahead and keep paying for your shitty OS, paying for software, and paying for anti-virus.

Typical linux fanboy.

I have probably used Linux for way long than you.

I have been running linux since red hat 6 when I was very young, and I have used many different distros and got on with them.

The reason why Linux is a pain in the ass (which you quite clearly stated) is the computer illiterate can't use it. That's why it will never get anywere in the computer market.

I am currently using Ubuntu (who isn't now days?) yes it's good. Yes its fast. Yes it's good to be able to do what you want to it. But it won't ever take off.

Until a linux distro has driver support like windows, software support like windows and gaming support like windows. It won't take off.

And like the mac has experienced, popularity = virus's, so good virus protection 'will' be needed for linux if it ever gets big.

nomi
June 11th, 2009, 04:31
Nicely stated Triv1um....

TacticalBread
June 13th, 2009, 10:16
You still haven't told me why Linux 'sucks.'

it sucks because it hasn't 'taken off'? It sucks because not a lot of people use it?

nomi
June 13th, 2009, 20:43
Linux sucks because of sheer fact that it is unusable. I have used linux, while i thought it was cool i thought it just is not worth the hassle to make it run like i want it.

Anyways, your opinion is yours and if you want to use linux that is none of my business. Please go right ahead and use linux and stop turning this thread into an OS wars. What you like is compared to your basic necessities and abilities.

I don't own microsoft, and i didn't make linux, therefore I am not benefiting from which ever OS you like.

Thank you
Nomi 92

WhizzBang
June 14th, 2009, 05:48
I am not computer illiterate (my job is mainly programming in VB and SQL) but I am not an expert user and am particularly weak on hardware knowledge.

Every so often I give Linux a try but the main stumbling block is getting drivers for my laptop. I have never managed to get a Linux distro to go online using WiFi, although I am sure most other Linux users have no problems with this.

My general experience of Linux is that I install it, spend hours trying to set it up correctly so that everything works, fail and give up, try again in about a year.

Windows has a lot wrong with it, but XP Service pack 2 is the easiest and most compatible OS I have ever used and I think it will take something special for me to move away from it.

quzar
June 14th, 2009, 09:12
Windows has a lot wrong with it, but XP Service pack 2 is the easiest and most compatible OS I have ever used and I think it will take something special for me to move away from it.

Windows 7 is even more compatible. I've been using it for three weeks and have been shocked by how friendly the compatability is, especially in dealing with old versions of windows. The old right-click context menu 'compatability' thing is gone. Now if you run a program and it doesn't work, you are prompted with a popup saying something to the effect of 'Did you have problems running that? If so, we're fairly sure that running it again with XXXX compatability mode set would fix your problems. Would you like to do that now? Y/N' If you allow it to, it even submits feedback of your guesses to a master database (which it searches through) to determine how the compatability should go. It's everything vista should have been and more.

wraggster
June 14th, 2009, 09:31
hmm ive been looking at upgrading from XP for a month or two, if windows 7 is better than vista i may make the jump over vista straight to Win 7.

VampDude
June 14th, 2009, 13:19
hmm ive been looking at upgrading from XP for a month or two, if windows 7 is better than vista i may make the jump over vista straight to Win 7.

Goto Vista, compared to how it was those three years ago (two for me) Vista has since improved... Though it eats quite a lot of memory, whereas XP doesn't. :confused:

I would only advise Windows 7 as something to look at in curiosity (for now anyway). :)

nomi
June 15th, 2009, 05:16
If you want an upgrade for Win Xp, then Win 7 is your choice, it's really fast and does the job pretty well, with a lot of eye candy ofcourse :D...

Nomi 92

VampDude
June 15th, 2009, 16:39
with a lot of eye candy ofcourse :D...

Eye candy isn't everything, you can make just about anything look nice... Though it could be horrible.:cool:

TacticalBread
June 16th, 2009, 05:11
If you want an upgrade for Win Xp, then Win 7 is your choice, it's really fast and does the job pretty well, with a lot of eye candy ofcourse :D...

Nomi 92

Linux is faster. :p

and Linux's 'eyecandy' > any other OS's 'eyecandy'.

nomi
June 16th, 2009, 20:53
TacticalBread, as i said i don't care what you use so don't start this into a OS war...

Notice how you need to praise linux..... why would you need to do that?

Nomi92

TacticalBread
June 17th, 2009, 01:22
holy shit, you're touchy. who pissed in your Cheerios?

notice the ':p'?

that generally signifies humour, or something along those lines; I wasn't trying to start anything.

Video_freak
June 17th, 2009, 05:48
I personally think it's awesome on both the eye candy and performance fronts. Then again, I never had any issues with Vista, so that may be why. Overall, though, great OS.

DPyro
June 19th, 2009, 01:02
I'll probably get Windows 7 for free.

Linux is faster. :p

and Linux's 'eyecandy' > any other OS's 'eyecandy'.

Don't kid yourself, Linux will never be a mainstream OS.

Shrygue
June 26th, 2009, 21:36
Uh man, I landed up in a big tangle yesterday. Of course, as Windows 7 is still in beta stage, anything could happen. I'm sure it's probably explained on site elsewhere (including at Microsoft) but still I'm going to tell you all here anyway.

For me though, I used the hibernate feature the day before (not sleep/standby mode) and when I turned on my computer yesterday, it didn't boot. I quickly found out that my drive went corrupt for some reason due to that after using the install disk and running CHKDSK in the command prompt. Evem after running it, Windows did not start. Lucky for me I had Windows Backup set up well before the incident happened so I managed to get my stuff back and my computer was up and running again.

In short, I strongly reccommend not to use hibernate until Microsoft fixes it. I also say take care when using standby as sometimes the system may not load the state correctlt or even not at all, requiring a reboot.