PDA

View Full Version : Can Sony Plug the GTA Hack With New Firmware

wraggster
March 30th, 2006, 21:01
Isnt it rather amusing that the one game that lets you via a hack play Homebrew on even the latest firmware PSPs is also the game that has probably sold the most PSPs worldwide, does someone want us to play homebrew ?

Anyway back to the topic, can Sony plug any exploits via the game Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories?, is it a case of sending out fixed versions of the game or will a new firmware be able to stop homebrew once more.

Opinions via the Comments

sroon
March 30th, 2006, 21:12
Hmmm Makes me Wonder? i thaught that whan someone cracks the latest firmware, sony releases onther one just right after.

IndianCheese
March 30th, 2006, 21:30
Well they could make it so the gamesave appears corrupt...

Hmmm Makes me Wonder? i thaught that whan someone cracks the latest firmware, sony releases onther one just right after.

If it, in some way, enables the user to run ISOs. (1.50 could run Fastloader, 2.00 could be downgraded to 1.50 to run Fastloader, but the GTA Hack does not, in any way, allow ISOs to be run since downgrading is impossible.)

sroon
March 30th, 2006, 21:50
I see what wou mean.

gotmilk0112
March 30th, 2006, 21:50
i doubt it. how would they patch the GAME? the only way would be to of course start shipping "fixed" umds that dont have the save glitch. and why would sony be mab about simple little homebrew games? as long as we dont have an ISO loader on 2.01+, sony wont care that much. ^_^

Sterist
March 30th, 2006, 22:01
they have no reason to block the hack. their only concerns are:

1. Piracy
2. Malicious code
3. Ripping ppl off so they can get a new car
4. Nothing else

the GTA hack doesn't interfere with any of those so why would they want to? ;)

chopper
March 30th, 2006, 22:01
I dont think Sony would have any problems putting this in their next Firmware upgrade but doubt they will include this for a single game. Its probably more likely it will be on the UMD's.

iZeth
March 30th, 2006, 22:17
Sony as a company HAS to have control over everything! Just look at thier MMO's. Early EQ, Star Wars: Galaxies. Recently they fired one of thier guys for just telling the press that the PS3 'was not as glamourous as he originally thought'. They are just too power mad over thier own decives to ignore this.

itoledo
March 30th, 2006, 22:52
never did any psp development, but it seems that all the games use the same internal routines for game saving (the same screens, etc). sony could check for a "signature" of the GTA hack (like an antivirus, snort, ...) and disable loading/saving that file from the memory stick.

RedKing14CA
March 30th, 2006, 23:56
With the new Firmware hacks and such sony might have to drop their selfish pride and let people play all the homebrew (even ISO loaders) on the new firmware... because people just arnt going to update.. so they just wont buy new games, itll be easier to download them. If they let us launch everything like in the 1.0 firmware then waaaay more people will buy UMD games.... w00t

p.s. not like that would ever happen, sony has to much pride to gain money.

Wally
March 31st, 2006, 00:18
Sony are smarter than Microsoft.

but seeing we have cracked every X.00 firmware so far the chances of cracking 3.00 seems high :)

idapimp
March 31st, 2006, 00:53
sony isnt stupid though.

Wally
March 31st, 2006, 00:54
True.

But there is always a hole.. Always.. Its just a matter of finding it

vettacossx
March 31st, 2006, 04:52
WALLY i agree with reverse engineering and examining code theres always a way the only question is the....will???

Firechipmunk
March 31st, 2006, 09:44
I sure someone must of mentioned it but with the introduction of downloadable games wont this open the home brew massively

cancan
March 31st, 2006, 10:52
Don't you think that having this hole in the GTA save games (allowing us to run homebrew, thanks fanjita again) have help the selling of GTA?
In this case we can also speculate on new games trying to have such a hole also for the future firmwares so that people will go and buy them when it will be find and exploited (and in this case the dev company will help us know there is one).

DraconumPB
March 31st, 2006, 21:32
Well, here's what I was thinking:

Sony probably isn't 100% happy with Rockstar. Then again, it's selling games and consoles, and people buying GTA for homebrew purposes - especially since it can't be used for pirating anything other than old games which are irrelevant to Sony (save for the PSX emu which doesn't really play commercial games to any extent that would cut into sales for Sony, say for updated ports of those games) - is really only helping Rockstar and Sony both. It ALSO means that people are updating their PSPs more, so it's actually helping Sony reach their goal of having everybody use updated firmware.

Sony's problem now is this: If Sony kills support for this in a future update (suppose they found a way) - who will update? Not only that, but sales of GTA due to desire for homewbrew will be reduced if people's PSPs were bought with this supposed GTA-exploit-killing-firmware, or if they updated before they were aware of it. Even furthur, if people don't have an updated PSP, they will probably be more likely to just keep it at 1.00, 1.50, or 2.00 (or possibly 2.5/2.6) since future upgrades only promise homebrew-killing...

If they DON'T kill support for the exploit, people will both update AND still buy more copies of GTA because it's still relevant for homebrew use and newer PSPs will start shipping with 2.6, 3.0, whatever, eventually.

Bottom line: support for homebrew (but not ISO - shame on devs providing software for that) will probably, even if only a little bit, bolster sales and encourage updating. A non-iso (through gta anyway) homebrew environment will probably also prevent sony from getting upset enough to figure out a way to block homebrew through gta, maybe ;)

vettacossx
March 31st, 2006, 21:33
alas with the ability to run ps1 games comes the proof that we have alot to learn about the psp it will be interesting to compare when the homebrew ps1 wich does not work yet to sonys commercial ps1 downloadable games
sony is releasing its own ps1 with a firmware update so it proofs its possible yet with all we do know we cant seem to get this hb running ps1 so...will this open a opertunity you ask? much like the 2.6 downgrader only time will tell.....

vettacossx
March 31st, 2006, 21:50
another thing IF SONYwere too stop fighting homebrew and support a certain type of homebrew say set some rules like homebrewe is ok if it does not interfear with the following formats..iso ect..or its ok with sony to write in these formats lua ,c++ ,then sony might actually get support FROM ALL US PSP OWNERS but so long as they limit our hardwares uses we are givin insentive too get homebrew, and not be supportive of sony ( wich only leads to multiple kinds of piracy) if they were even willing too beleave for a second that people would buy a umd for 30 bucks (instead of 10 or 15 tops like a dvd.) rather than pay the same 30 dollers for the psp movie maker that allows me too copy my 1o or 15 doller dvd into any size i want on my mem stick duo...we feel like we have been slaped in the perverbial face by sony ...if they want me too buy a umd drop the price duh!!! i think we all can find a few movies we would RATHER NOT TAKE THE MEMORY SPACE ON OUR CARDS for and would be happy too pay 10 for appleseed to save space on stick and keep quality but sony charges twice as much so what do they expect?? SONY GETR FREEKIN REAL YOU GREEDY MONEY GRUBBERS IF YOU LIKED MONEY,YOU WOULD HAVE A BETTER MARKETING TEAM STRAIT UP!!!!

SSaxdude
April 1st, 2006, 00:50
Sony should forget about homebrew and work on better things. I would have boughten GTA when it first came out but it required 2.0, so I ignored it. So do you know what I do to make them pay? I get an iso of GTA when it became playable on 1.5. Also, remember if a person bricks their PSP when using homebrew Sony won't do anything about it, so they could sell another system to you. As for UMD movies, they have and will always be a novelty, so don't be surprised if less are being made. Back to the GTA hack, I think they could but won't patch it up because they wouldn't be losing game sales due to "piracy" if it is left alone.

iso= it's sharing only

Agret
April 1st, 2006, 05:17
You guys know that the GTA exploit has been patched in 2.61 right? It's the ver that the brand new psp pack has, you can't download it (yet)