PDA

View Full Version : Will we see a Mass of Cheap UMD Films ?

wraggster
March 30th, 2006, 21:12
With all the talk of UMDs not selling will we soon see a mass of cheap UMD films ?, if the price of a UMD film was $8 instead of say up to $20 would you buy lots more, lets hope this brings lots of Cheap movies soon for our PSPs.

Personally i want to get the Harry potter movies to watch at work for cheap ;)

sroon
March 30th, 2006, 21:15
They are cheap. I got final fantasy the spirits whithin, steamboy and cyotey ugly for just 12$ canadian!

swepisodeii
March 30th, 2006, 21:51
I think it sucks that UMD movies killed themselves with their ridiculous pricing.
And these "clearance" prices are what they should have cost the entire time.
I never bought a UMD movie because they are way overpriced. It's that simple.

One big advantage UMDs have is native PSP resolution. I can't do this with my DVDs (unless there's a way to use PMP homebrew on fw 2.0 - is there?)

They could save the format by:

1) Selling a separate UMD portable video player without gaming functions. It could be the size of an iPod, have video out and sell for around $100. This would expand the UMB user base.

2) Lower the goddamn prices.

3) Giving us a UMD-RW and a UMD writer.

4) Put UMD playback in the PS3.

And what the hell is so universal about them anyway?

felonyr301
March 30th, 2006, 22:02
uhm guy you can use the new avi player to use full res videos on your psp firmware 2.0 and up just convert videos to the right res and thats it and if the video is within psp range dont bother converting if you dont care but look it up you can have fullres on any firmware now a days

slayer2psp
March 30th, 2006, 23:41
i dont want any umd movies not even at five bucks

dieboybun
March 31st, 2006, 00:32
more people will buy them if they have a seperate umd player for tv and/or more special features, which they can put it in a seperate disc.

idapimp
March 31st, 2006, 00:46
screw umd

mog
March 31st, 2006, 01:27
not sure i understand...
i would buy the umd's i want if they were as cheap as $20 ! :p
some umds like fantastic 4 sell at £25 which must be nearer $40,
and the umds that i actually want such as family guy cost £22.
even fawlty towers can costs more than $25,
even tho it's really old and i already own it on dvd and paid less for it... :rolleyes:

PoorWhiteTrash
March 31st, 2006, 01:51
I saw some at walocaust that were 14.99. Still not gonna buy any til they drop below $10. The only time I watch them is at work anyhow, and there havent been any out that I have seen that I would be willing to watch more than once anyhow.

I do believe that they need to release a UMD-RW though... just like they had for those dmned MDs that I have boxed up.

swepisodeii
March 31st, 2006, 02:01
Avi Player? It does 480x272 off the memory stick on 2.0? F'n sweet. Going to check it out now.

Been using PSP Video 9 which only does 308x268 which is then upscaled, but it's not native 480x272 and you can definitely tell a difference in video quality.

Thanks for the heads up!

DMage
March 31st, 2006, 02:25
The thing about UMDs, imo, is that I can ONLY use them in my PSP. Now lets take a look at the game console history of $ony. The laser on the PSX? Remember putting the PSX on its side? We all have a PS2 with a dead DVD laser, which is now the equivalent of an oversized-overpriced PSX....
My point is that using my PSPs UMD drive for movies is not why i bought my PSP. I bought it for gaming. As long as it may last, I will be using it for just that... gaming.
I would definitely buy alot more UMDs if I could use them in something other than my PSP. Maybe a UMD video player in the car? Just had screens put in all the headrests. I would love to cary UMDs instead of DVDs just for the size!
As I said, IMO.

cartmandude14
March 31st, 2006, 05:26
I use my psp for everything. Games, homebrew, music, video, internet. Whatever i feel like i can do with it! AND THANKs FANKITA FOR THE SWEET eLOADEr FoR GTA....I HAD BEEN OUT OF HOMEBREW FOR ABOUT A YEAR AND I WAS GETTING PO'D

Stew2000
March 31st, 2006, 22:15
Amazon £7.49+ (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/16046851/1/ref=br_lfsrt_/202-2725408-5593407?rank=%2Bprice&submit.x=6&submit.y=6)

charltonheston
April 1st, 2006, 00:29
Good Idea DMage - Sony need to start getting creative as there are too many people predicting bad things for sony be it with umds or blu-ray discs. Personally I don't find anything wrong with the umds (apart from the greedy, extortionate pricing which seems inherent in anything Sony seems to have dealings with). There are some decent films out there such as Resevoir of Dogs and many others which, if the price was right, would compliment my complimentary copy of Spiderman 2 - which is the only umd movie I own. Show me the Star Wars films on UMD each for under £10 and you've got yourself £60 worth of purchase power from me alone. :)

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” - Yoda

stotheamuel
April 1st, 2006, 01:20
screw umd

i second this

Mysteryman
April 2nd, 2006, 06:03
Its the high prices and the fact that I can never find the UMD's I actually want. Sure I can find man of the house but not cowboy bebop or samurai champloo.

Sunray
April 2nd, 2006, 09:28
I really hope that the UMD format gets killed off. Its a stupid idea, everybody apart from Sony knew that. The price of the disks made it a comdey option. Classic Dilbert material.

This could have a few possible outcomes. The first is that Sony might actually move from UMD to DVD format. If they did that, that would open the device up to the rest of the world and DVD releases on the small format might become a common sight. This might actually define a fairly long lived video standard for small format devices? Disks are a tad big IMO, but you never know. Thats mouth watering as you could burn your own.

They might release the proper encoder, a possibility thats somewhat unlikely.

Alternatively they could just shelve it, not an uncommon trick of large companies. Sony did it for mini disks for data storage so have a track record.

mog
April 3rd, 2006, 22:25
This could have a few possible outcomes. The first is that Sony might actually move from UMD to DVD format.
Are you saying that sony should sell dvd drives for the psp?

One of the main problems i see with umd's is that it is designed to be watched on a small screen. You could watch it on a larger screen but the quality isnt as good as the dvd version...
So you really need to buy both dvd and umd, which is like 30 to 40 quid per film...

Shilo
April 3rd, 2006, 22:30
Sony needs to go to carts like the DS, cheap, can't sratch, and virtualy no load times:) only ploblem is that you can't fit as much data as a UMD can.

charltonheston
April 3rd, 2006, 23:39
If they're going to go for the cheap option then, in my modest opinion :) , I think they should start selling games online via the sony version of I-tunes (can't remember it's name :confused: ). That way they can charge less for games but yet make more profit as they don't have to go through greedy game stores. Of course there's going to be some issues with people obtaining copies of these games illegitimately but it's not like they've got that problem now - don't they? :rolleyes: Apparently it's the future :( , look at the way they'll be trialling the sales of PSX games :cool: (can't wait) but after being ripped off again and again in gaming stores buying second hand games, because I can't afford new ones, and only saving £5 - I won't lose any sleep if it goes this way (greedy store managers losing their jobs - yay!!) :D .
So if that's the case and Sony bring out a PSP mk II with no UMD and an inbuilt 30gb of flash memory :eek: what will we do with our old UMD's - I've thought for a while and can only think of a coaster (to put cups on) or maybe if you break the casing you can have a mini frisbee also (and here's one for the ladies) you could use them as hand bag sized make up mirrors. The last one could also be used for the goth variant of psp owners when applying their mascara :p.
Hmmmm.. just had a thought - if they do sell games online then I'd have to upgrade past my 1.5 and also it would take forever - b'ah it looks like umd's are here to stay then :mad: