PDA

View Full Version : PSP vs DS Again

wraggster
March 31st, 2006, 16:56
Source Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/03/31/psp-vs-ds-again/):

Though the DS leads the PSP by more than 3.2 million units in Japanese market share, the stateside race is a bit closer. By the end of 2005, Nintendo announced it had sold 3.97 million units compared to Sony's "more than 4 million" sold (not shipped) by mid February. I suck with numbers, but me thinks the DS sold well the first month and a half of 2006 and has only continued to do well up to this date with the release of several anticipated games. Keep in mind that UMD's have been selling poorly, so Sony might have a hard time continuing to play the "multi-device" card.

IGN writes: "Whether or not the imminent U.S. release of the 'brain-training' games will capture the dads-and-grandmas market that Nintendo so deftly wooed in Japan is anyone's guess. For now, the Stateside PSP vs. DS fight is shaping up like the Super Nintendo versus Genesis battles of yore -- a tough fight to the finish. And just as long as Sony doesn't debut a 32X add-on, it's likely to stay that way."

Would you liken the DS and PSP US market share to the SNES and Genesis of the early 90's?

vettacossx
March 31st, 2006, 19:59
a agree the snes vs the genesis was a classic retro war from the day of yore!!

but remember how it panned out nintendo bought sega out.....i think thats hardly the case for this current wars future!!!

imagine nintendo buying out sony....nintendo may have a few side markets yes...but i doubt that "pokemon sales" compare to to sony "genral electronic sales" even considering the flunk of umd movies...sony has sold tv's radios sct.....for as long as a remember they have made "toys i wanted" if i remember right "the sony walk-mans" where HUGE back in the day....
on the other side of the spectrum nintendo has never been afraid to "stick there neck out there" and try somthing new...so...its going to be interesting how this perticular console war of today panns out...feel free to flame me if you diagree i respect your oppinion and ive been corrected before, again this is just my thoughts on the topic..
do you guys think that nintendo would sell out or sony ould sell out to its competetor i like the psp alot better than the ds however i think sony may be greedy enough that with the right amout of money...i mean they got into the video game bizz by purchasing the original playstation from NINTENDO thats a fact NINTENDO SOLD THE PSX BECAUSE OF THE SLOW LOAD TIMES FOR MARIO 64 and sony turned around and made the biggest cd game library ever created...just goes to show how fast things change and why its hard to be a "anything fan" do to targeting of markets n such,

gamecube: sports game lovers targeted,kids games( nintendo loves an imature audience!) lol

ds:retro lovers,interactive game lovers targeted,and the jap. market as its made nintendo..i dont dance in video games im american..i shoot stuff and take over rpg kingdoms..

psx sonys fooot out the door a 100 games for every gamer in any genre lets fac3e it this library is huge endless i play ps games today that ive never tryed!!

xbox first person shooters and high sale "popular" titles" late....gta san andreas for ex

ps2 wich i love because its not veared toward any audience in particular but all gamers in genral and has backwards compatability of its sister the "psx or ps1" and my personal fav do to square enix as i would follow final fantasy to any system and hense i bought my ps2 FIRST its honestly the best all around console for game library no doubt what with the psx having the largest and carrying this to the ps2 library makes sonys "playstation histoy on ps1 and ps2 alone the biggest game library available
aTHE PSP well id have to type a whole other forum for this one its everything in one a mod-able retro gaming system ,mp3 player,you can watch anything thats a video on it if tranfered to the proper format it targets a audience of variety already in its early stages and claims backwords compatability with the announcement of PS1 games becoming commercially available in the us..ff7 on my psp!!! "sony plays the ps1 card again...like nintendo puling a retro icon out there hat..lol zelda...mario....metroid...whatever puts sales back up....sorry for the long post wraggster got me exited about this one and i started thinking...

StealthCP
March 31st, 2006, 22:39
Most definitely. This is almost a repeat of the war. Genesis was way cooler, and had class graphics and improved incredibly on the outdated Master Systems. Even though the SNES was good (mini)XG-like sound and older style graphics, it had some excellent games, to name Super Mario World, Final Fantasy 2 (US), and omg da Metroid...

The DS has some kick ass games, I have played Mario Kart DS and see it as a huge improvement on it's N64 clone, and generally the DS games are doing well, but as with the SNES it appeals to a different market. Sony now come with their PSP and try to bring console gaming to handheld gaming. It certainly worked. One is not better than the other, graphics are not the key, but sales will tell who really is winning the war. And overall, it's gotta be the PSP.

dOOmy
March 31st, 2006, 23:15
I dont know anything about genesis vs snes but I own both a DS(to take out with me for truely portable gaming) and a PSP( to leave at home because its alittle too fragile to take anywhere)

kyle2194
April 1st, 2006, 00:00
And just as long as Sony doesn't debut a 32X add-on, it's likely to stay that way.Yeah, but with a ps1 emulator coming out, you could just find yourself buying a sony cd attachment to play them. :D

BALL_SAC
April 1st, 2006, 12:54
I dont think that at all kyle, if anything, I believe that sony will release psp formatted isos of ps1 games that you have to buy online. It would be pointless to release a whole cd attatchment and be carring that around, and it would look stupid.
It just wouldnt be portable now would it... :)

kyle2194
April 1st, 2006, 13:13
It was a joke. You know how sega realeased a mega cd to go with the genesis? It was sort of an add on to wraggsters joke.

Flipao
April 1st, 2006, 18:08
Sonic > Mario

Always been that way :)

stotheamuel
April 1st, 2006, 19:36
the only big problem i have with ps2

is 2 players.....i want 4

and i dont want to buy a multi tap other than that ps2 is practicly perfect

KenshinKajima
April 1st, 2006, 22:48
Sonic > Mario

Always been that way :)

I'll second that. (Still waiting for Dreamcast 2 :p )

mastersho
April 2nd, 2006, 01:00
please sonic<mario Nintendo forever and i'm not a fanboy either!

nightmare666
April 2nd, 2006, 08:00
what is 32x add on nintendo wants to bring out