PDA

View Full Version : Does the Wii Provide A "Watered-Down" Game Experience?

wraggster
June 12th, 2009, 14:56
CNet is running a story inspired by comments from Ubisoft's Ben Mattes about how the Wii affects game development. When asked why there was no Wii version of Prince of Persia, Mattes said, "The reality is that from a technical standpoint, the Wii cannot do what we wanted the game to do. The AI of Elika was highly advanced and required a lot of processing power; the world size and dynamic loading, the draw distance, the number of polygons in the characters... If we had done a Wii version, it would have been toned down, probably linear; it wouldn't have been an open-world game, and so it would have been a very different experience." The article goes on to look at a number of Wii games that are stripped-down versions of their Xbox 360 or PS3 counterparts. Of course, part of the Wii's drawing power is that it's much simpler than the other systems, and has brought casual gaming to millions more people than it would have otherwise. The question remains, as Kotaku points out, whether the Wii's audience will persist after the other systems match its casual-gaming capabilities.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/09/06/11/160251/Does-the-Wii-Provide-A-Watered-Down-Game-Experience

ChaoticanarchyX
June 12th, 2009, 16:06
Watered down or empty, take your pick. If it wasnt for homebrew on the Wii, it would've went bye bye by now.........

kaferenza
June 13th, 2009, 04:26
Yeah, I'm calling it; the Wii will crash and burn and one of the biggest reasons behind it will be the flood of horrible games that cause masses of people to cry when they get home and try the game out because they believe that if Nintendo allowed it then it must be good. However by the time this starts to happen Nintendo will release another "innovative" system that will divert everyone's attention.

feddon
June 15th, 2009, 13:55
erm, the wii cant possibly crash and burn because is already a massive success. Its made a fortune and if no-one bought one ever again its still been a money maker. I think its obvious that any multiplatform games are "watered down" for the wii, or they are the same as psp or ps2 versions. They have to be, and they are generally rubbish. stupid people will always buy enough of the stupid games to make them worthwhile, dont think for a second that if the games wernt making money they would carry on being made.
On a positive note, i dont think you could call mario galaxy watered down, to be honest thats about all i can think of, erm, mario galaxy 2 maybe?. I have owned a wii since launch and the motion controller simply wasnt up to the task for most games. of the E3 showing i thought the ps3s had the most interesting uses, in my opinion anyway. But wth the base it already has and the solid advertising i dont think the ps3/xbox casual threat will really materialize, i think it might be another battle for second place.