PDA

View Full Version : EA Goes Hatin' On Rival Racing Games

wraggster
June 12th, 2009, 16:23
EA's long-running, big-selling racing franchise Need for Speed has fallen on hard times in recent years. Which seems to have the mega-publisher on the front foot when it comes to their competition in the genre.

Speaking (well, hating) at E3 last week, EA Europe's Patrick Soderlund had some rather unkind words for Need for Speed Shift's competition, saying:

Let me tell you this. I think Split/Second looks great. I'm going to have a good time playing that. Blur to me is completely underwhelming. I don't understand what's up with that game to be honest. That's an official statement.

Forza, I'm very confident we have a better game than them to be honest. Talking to the press, looking at the nominations, that's clear. So, I'm glad that they're confident but I'm as confident as they are.

Hey, Patrick, why don't you tell us what you really think!

http://kotaku.com/5287770/ea-goes-hatin-on-rival-racing-games

osgeld
June 12th, 2009, 18:33
apparently he has not played any need for speeds in a while

what i dont get is why last years outting still contained 10 year old stereotype fast n furious bull honk

now in the last one i bought i could ignore HAVING to put a douche wing on the back of my car, i could hit escape to skip the trivial shallow cut scenes, and i could just bounce on the map to ignore the endless miles and hours of driving in a empty city

but then i wondered why i payed money just to avoid 90% of the "content" and blast tru the simple boring races in less than a few days after work

so while they continue doing this, i will continue not buying their overpriced, unbalanced, over dramatic ridiculous JRPG wannabe racing game

fpcreator2000
June 12th, 2009, 18:41
EA must have a big toilet paper budget because they are talking a lot of shit!

Comparing Forza with Need for Speed for starters. That is a very bad comparison. Forza is a car simulator while Need for Speed is arcade gaming.

A true comparison would Gran Turismo and Forza since both are simulation games, or Need for Speed Underground/Most Wanted series to Midnight Club.
Let's go farther in time and compare R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 with Need for Speed 3, both some of the best racing games on the original Playstation.

Also the way he talks about the competition is as if he the number one authority in the gaming world. For one if you don't like a game, explain why. Don't just sit there an say "is completely underwhelming", explain to me why this game is as bad as you say. The "because I said so" argument only works in recess, not in adulthood.

Now if he where selling a game and he was comparing the game to an existing game and if his argument when something like this, "Well I feel that this game was over hyped because in some areas it does not deliver, for example.... (and he would go on as to how steering and such is not as responsive, ect...)", then I can say "Hey that makes sense." But hating just because?! That's the 19th century way of playing dirty.

Now the advertising campaigns of Microsoft, and Apple are different. They are playing on each others weaknesses to sell a product, not just hating because.

That's my two cents.

watupgroupie
June 12th, 2009, 22:23
This guy is a jackass. Forza Motorsport is in a whole other league compared to Need for Speed, not to mention being on a different genre. Pretty much agree with everything that fpcreator2000 said.

kaferenza
June 13th, 2009, 03:28
Yeah, I have to agree with everyone else on this. Besides, Need for Speed: Most Wanted was the only one out of the series that kicked some serious @$$.