PDA

View Full Version : Game, DVD Sales Hurting Music Industry More Than Downloads

wraggster
June 12th, 2009, 23:59
The music industry likes to insist that filesharing — aka illegal downloading — is killing the industry; that every one of the millions of music files downloaded each day counts as a 'lost' sale, which if only it could somehow have been prevented would put stunning amounts of money into impoverished artists' hands. ... If you even think about it, it can't be true. People — even downloaders — only have a finite amount of money. In times gone by, sure, they would have been buying vinyl albums. But if you stopped them downloading, would they troop out to the shops and buy those songs? I don't think so. I suspect they're doing something different. I think they're spending the money on something else. What else, I mused, might they be buying? The first clue of where all those downloaders are really spending their money came in searching for games statistics: year after year ELSPA had hailed 'a record year.' In fact ... games spending has risen dramatically — from £1.18bn in 1999 to £4.03bn in 2008. Meanwhile music spending has gone from £1.94bn to £1.31bn.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/09/06/12/2043209/Game-DVD-Sales-Hurting-Music-Industry-More-Than-Downloads

fpcreator2000
June 13th, 2009, 00:08
I buy Games and Movies, music on the other hand (I buy every album Seal releases), but too many CD's with one good song and too much crap, but I do buy music, sometimes digitally (No DRM, if I buy my music [the license that gives me the right to listen to it], I want to play it anywhere I want), sometimes physically, but very few (more digital than physical).

apex05
June 13th, 2009, 00:51
I never bought films because i only watch it once then next time is when it's shown on tv, and nearly all the music i listen to is from the 70's to 90's and i already bought most of what i listen to.. Granted most of it is scratched or chewed up and is unplayable, so i'll happily download the hell out of it, and if i was gonna pay for the stuff i download i reckon i'd have to work 200 hours a day at my current job.

kaferenza
June 13th, 2009, 03:20
As far as the music industry goes, if you want to put money in your favorite artist's hands then go buy a concert ticket and a t-shirt while you're there. Bands, unless they own their own label, don't make squat from album sales.

osgeld
June 13th, 2009, 17:51
awww poor music industry

that reminds me, i need to cancel my club membership, i got the 1098231 cd's for a penny its now time to cancel before they start charging me

Justise
June 17th, 2009, 09:19
I think that buying movies and music rarely worth their money.

You cann't be sure wether a music disk is good or not unless you buy it. Comments won't help since every one has deferent taste, and Pandora.com is not aveliable outside the US.

Movies are way to expencive to be bought. The cheapest DVD costs 10 euros and it doesn't worth shit in terms of Quallity, extrass and Translations. A Good DVD with good Quality, Lots of extras, and decent translations usualy costs 40 euros or more, so every one says "No ****ing way". To rent a movie from a video store costs hardly 2 euros and you'll rarelly watch the same move more than 3 times, so it's a good deal. Yet your Local Video store don't always have the movie you want for many reasons. A Digital rental will probably not have the subtittles for your language and you cann't attach your own downloaded subtittles on it.

The result is EPIC FAIL!