PDA

View Full Version : How Does Post-Hype Change The Way You View Games?

wraggster
June 13th, 2009, 20:04
Another week has passed and here we are, you and me and that other guy, talking. Lovely.

This is Tell Us Dammit, no, make that TELL US DAMMIT. Here's how it works: We ask a question, you answer it. Simple and no strings attached! This isn't some marketing survey or whatever. It's an emotional investment in you. Yes, we're interested in knowing you, reader person.

Before games come out there is a tremendous amount of hype. What we want to know:

Question: After the hype has died down and time has passed, do you ever go back and play those previously hyped titles? If so, has the way you viewed the games changed?

http://kotaku.com/5289081/how-does-post+hype-change-the-way-you-view-games

apex05
June 13th, 2009, 21:20
Hype is too easily bought now, so i only listen to real recommendations and if i don't like a game to start with and people say it gets better then i will give it another go.

VampDude
June 14th, 2009, 12:28
I'm never affected by hype, though if something looks good I will leave it a while after the release before getting the game (collecting my own opinion).

But saying that, back in the early 90's there was no internet services to hype games like there is today. It was all down to the magazines (which I never knew many people who bought them), the stores and the people who bought/rented the game before you.

What really hyped me in the mid 90's was magazines that included either video cassettes (Games Master magazine did an awesome one in December '97 - it hyped me towards the N64) or demo disc's which you could either watch a lengthly FMV or play a level of the latest and upcoming games as words and still images didn't do anything for me (except maybe look nice). There were many magazines in the mid/late 90's wth cover mounted disc's, though they came at an extra cost to the buyer (i.e: SEGA SATURN MAGAZINE - when they had coverdisc's the magazine was £4.99 as opposed to the original £2.99).

Today, the most undeserving games get a lot of hype whereas there are games of yesterday that went un-noticed (especially for the N64 and SEGA Saturn during the PlayStation days). Which is where I have learnt that hype isn't everything and for there to be a true hype the game has to be good, not just look good and play like a lump of crap.