PDA

View Full Version : Quake for PSP V2

wraggster
April 1st, 2006, 23:46
Updated to include Shareware Files too :) - wraggster

Chris Swindle & Peter M have asked me to release the new version of Quake for the PSP because Chris is away this weekend, heres the email from Chris:

<blockquote>We have combined the source for the original release with the network code from Multiplayer Quake and we have submitted all of the code to a SourceForge project. The project page is at https://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=158726 where the full source is available. This version now has full network support on all firmware versions.

Features
--------

The following is working fine:
- Software rendering
- Sound
- Adhoc connection for PSP - PSP games
- Infrastructure mode for connecting to servers
- Stable firmware V2+ support, including PSP-PSP & Access point network support via the latest eLoader (DHCP is recommended for v2.5+)
- On screen keyboard (not in V2+ at the moment)

Things missing:
- OSK support in V2+, never finishes initialising in v2+, looks like it might be due to the way the exploit works
- Hardware rendering. I have little PSP GU experience, so it'll take a while to do.

Known bugs:
- Fast key taps may go unnoticed when the frame rate is low. This is because we're not sure how to get buffered input on the PSP.

If you've found a bug, please post about it in this thread.

Enjoy.

Chris & Peter</blockquote>

Download and Give Feedback to both Coders Via Comments

pepegomez
April 1st, 2006, 23:54
i hope not that this is an april fools again ^^

wraggster
April 2nd, 2006, 00:03
no ive had the release for days :)

had to wait until the new eloader was released ;)

O-bake
April 2nd, 2006, 00:06
no ive had the release for days :)

had to wait until the new eloader was released ;)
You bloody........ah, so great :D :P

Thank you very much, Chris Swindle and Peter M

Sterist
April 2nd, 2006, 00:10
WinRAR says error:

! C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\2JQFI967\Quake_V2[1].zip: Cannot open C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\2JQFI967\Quake_V2[1].zip
There are no more files.

this has to be april fools :(

Open AND Save will result in this error

Atien
April 2nd, 2006, 00:11
Arf... It's so GOOD!!!
I have to finish Quake once more now :D
Thank you Chris & Peter.

One question: can I play a PSP vs PC game with infrastructure mode?

wraggster
April 2nd, 2006, 00:17
the rar is perfect make sure you have the latest version installed

Emeriastone
April 2nd, 2006, 00:22
OMG so happy, everyone rocks my socks...

O-bake
April 2nd, 2006, 00:27
Ah, just played a few minutes and it's huge difference to the old version.
It's much smoother and faster and the analog nub hanging is gone :)

Absolutely great!

felonyr301
April 2nd, 2006, 00:42
gonna try it out

felonyr301
April 2nd, 2006, 00:43
uhm question any new news on duke nukem ?

Sterist
April 2nd, 2006, 00:43
where can i find the latest version?

(btw i didnt / cant / wont pay for the license)

bullhead
April 2nd, 2006, 00:44
so i can actuallay play this against a mate?

Sterist
April 2nd, 2006, 00:49
yeah.

now someone help me!!! i cant extract anything from this download! :( could someone send me an uncompressed version via aim? im on rite now as nathan7347

plz send message :)

PeterM
April 2nd, 2006, 00:51
Enjoy! Chris and Fanjita have done some great work on this.

Pete

wraggster
April 2nd, 2006, 00:53
Thanks for the release PeterM

btw do you live near Fanjita ?

both edinburgh men :)

only 200 miles from wraggy too ;)

PeterM
April 2nd, 2006, 00:57
btw do you live near Fanjita ?

both edinburgh men :)Hehe, I had no idea!

only 200 miles from wraggy too ;)Scary... ;)

Pete

Sterist
April 2nd, 2006, 01:02
someone? help? :(

no quake for me

PeterM
April 2nd, 2006, 01:07
someone? help? :(

no quake for meI'll try to help. I just downloaded it and tried it without any trouble. What doesn't work for you?

I use firmware 2.6 and the GTA version of eLoader (Bock).

Pete

Sterist
April 2nd, 2006, 01:08
i cant open the RAR - i get an diagnostic error or something

see my first post in the thread (post number 5)

idapimp
April 2nd, 2006, 01:09
sweet

PeterM
April 2nd, 2006, 01:13
i cant open the RAR - i get an diagnostic error or something

see my first post in the thread

(i think its the 2nd or 3rd post here)Hmm, I can save the link to my Desktop without any error messages, so there's nothing wrong with the ZIP or link.

Maybe clearing your browser cache could fix it? Sounds like it's a problem related to your browser or temporary files.

Sterist
April 2nd, 2006, 01:15
Tools -> Internet options -> clear temp files?

PeterM
April 2nd, 2006, 01:20
Hopefully that should do it. Perhaps IE's cached version is corrupted or something.

Sterist
April 2nd, 2006, 01:21
! C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\C9O38B4J\Quake_V2[1].zip: Cannot open C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\C9O38B4J\Quake_V2[1].zip
There are no more files.

same thing

could u, or someone, send it to me via aim? :confused:

sn = nathan7347

PeterM
April 2nd, 2006, 01:26
! C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\C9O38B4J\Quake_V2[1].zip: Cannot open C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\C9O38B4J\Quake_V2[1].zip
There are no more files.

same thingI assume this is an error from WinRAR, is it? Try saving the file to somewhere with a shorter path name, like "C:". Maybe the file name is too long for WinRAR? (My version doesn't like long network paths for example).

Also, you're not running out of disk space or anything?

Sterist
April 2nd, 2006, 01:31
done. if the close up pic is too blurry, it says: Cannot Open File: Cannot read the source from disk.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/2313/apr0107gw.jpg
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/9914/apr0119xd.jpg

PeterM
April 2nd, 2006, 01:33
You may also like to try downloading Quake_v2.zip from the SourceForge project page, in case your browser just refuses to download from DCemu for some reason.

The URL is:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=158726

Sterist
April 2nd, 2006, 01:37
got the same error from there

i have this problem extracting 1 of every 500 files or so

(doesnt seem to be a random occurance)

PeterM
April 2nd, 2006, 01:43
I'm not sure what else to try. Anyone got any ideas?
Perhaps upgrading to IE6, or trying a download manager like GetRight?

I suspect what's going on is that IE is deleting the temporary file before WinRAR opens it, but I'm not at all sure.

Sterist
April 2nd, 2006, 01:51
its not deleting from the temp file at all unless i tell it to

...could someone just send me an uncompressed version? 1.5 only

(email = [email protected] / aim = nathan7347)

PeterM
April 2nd, 2006, 01:57
Okay, I'll send it to you using email.

Edit: email sent.

vettacossx
April 2nd, 2006, 04:19
actually you can get the non currupt vs here http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/psp-quake/Quake_v2.zip?use_mirror=easynews

acn010
April 2nd, 2006, 04:38
ok, im having problems loading the game
from the menu from the eloader version 0.97(bock) i select the file quake from there i pressed circle, at that moment a huge sentence in red comes out saying "couldn't open eboot.pbp: 8001
and in the eloader menu to see the signature of quake comes out "error code: 1"
what the hell man!!!!, im really really desperated to play this game so much, I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank you.

FaytLeingod
April 2nd, 2006, 05:31
Everything seems to run ok, but if i start a new game twice during one session, Qauck locks up. It's not a big deal since i was just flloing around with it. btw, I'm using V.2 Fw 1.5.

Great port, my personal thanks to PeterM and all those who put in the work so we could have this port.

pspfan
April 2nd, 2006, 05:35
PeterM,

Is there a way to use Garret Peters' menu system and this? It allows you to very easily connect to his specially designed PSP Quake server and a few others. Also it lets you quickly chat through hotkeys. You can also set your config to do a lot more. You can assign keys for things like hook, zoom, change weapon, and jetpack. You can also make it so analog look is always on (no need to assign a key for it). In addition, you can do things on the server like voting (for teams or other stuff). He also had bots for a while but the script got a bit buggy so he's fixing that up now.

Anyway, for me this is very handy, mostly for the fact that it makes connecting to a quake server much easier (just a few key pushes), has a hotkey chat, and lets you assign keys for the things I mentioned above.

I never could connect to servers without this...

OK, so what's the point of this whole post? I don't know how to use his configs with you config. I guess the big thing I want yours for is the OSK. Is there any way to get the OSK to work as a chat method in addition to his hotkey chat (and other features)?

That_PSP_Guy
April 2nd, 2006, 05:35
hey, um i just dloaded it, and i'm trying to get infrastructure mode werking, but it won't connect. help please. This is the first wifi homebrew game i've tried.

pspfan
April 2nd, 2006, 05:59
That PSP Guy,

Try d/ling the latest config files from http://www.garretpeters.com/forums

danknugz
April 2nd, 2006, 09:41
works great for me! sweet!
has anyone set up a server yet? wheres a good place to find multiplayer games now that we can type in the ip! i want to frag!

PeterM
April 2nd, 2006, 10:45
I've no idea about Garret Peters' menu. If I have time I'll give it a go and see what happens. I only have a 2.6 PSP (i.e. no OSK for me) so I can't test that part of it.

I'd be interested to find out why his menu system stopped working with the new release. However I think he managed to get it to work:
http://www.garretpeters.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=17

Pete

Stealth Kill
April 2nd, 2006, 11:07
where can I download the pc version

PeterM
April 2nd, 2006, 11:14
The PC shareware version of Quake is available at our SourceForge page (available in .zip and .rar formats):
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=158726

It's exactly the same as the version on the id Software site, just in a more accessible archive format. (No install in DOS required first).

Download it, unzip/unrar it, and copy the ID1 folder inside PSP/GAME/Quake on your PSP.

This is in the readme.txt file...

qskint
April 2nd, 2006, 12:02
is it going to be possible to eventually play recorded demos on this port of quake? ones recorded on the pc

or even quakeworld demos at a later date? :D

PeterM
April 2nd, 2006, 12:14
It should be possible to play demos now, just edit your config.cfg or autoexec.cfg and bind "playdemo X" to a key. The available key names are in the readme.

qskint
April 2nd, 2006, 12:23
so do i just create a 'demos' folder inside the psp/game/quake folder?

awesome work

wraggster
April 2nd, 2006, 12:32
Uploaded the shareware files to this thread also :)

Stealth Kill
April 2nd, 2006, 12:35
play with me online! now!

Oni
April 2nd, 2006, 12:38
this is absolutely awesome work... much faser than the last version i played...

Oni

Oni
April 2nd, 2006, 12:41
how do i play online with u Stealth??

PeterM
April 2nd, 2006, 12:42
so do i just create a 'demos' folder inside the psp/game/quake folder?
I don't think you need to create a demos folder. Just copy your .dem files inside the ID1 folder, and you should be good to go.

I tested this by downloading a demo from here:
http://www.methosq.com/qdemos.htm
(Make sure you pick a Normal Quake one (NQ) not QuakeWorld)

Then I created an autoexec.cfg file containing one line:
playdemo demoname
(Make sure demoname is without the .dem extension)

Then when I started Quake up, it launched the demo automatically.

Hope this helps,
Pete

qskint
April 2nd, 2006, 12:47
thanks, such a good release, gonna make a donation definatly

Oni
April 2nd, 2006, 13:11
Is there a running server atm?.. can't find out how to get connection to anything, 'cos u have to use IP-addres... doesn't makes it easyer that we don't have OSK (running 2.5)
Plz help... really wonna play over the net:P

ONi

dkainer
April 2nd, 2006, 13:12
Hey dudes, just wondering what the control system is like for this FPS?
I've always thought FPS's would be hard to do on a PSP because of the button/ pad layout...

PeterM
April 2nd, 2006, 13:16
You can set the buttons as you like, using the in-game menus or by editing the config.cfg file. Be sure to read the readme to see what the key names are if you're going to edit the config file manually.

If you would prefer to have "mouselook" (analog nub look) on all the time, add the following to your autoexec.cfg:
+mlook

Pete

Oni
April 2nd, 2006, 13:17
well for this one u can set it completely custom...
In Coded Arms u walk and strafe with the analog, and control the crosshair with cross, square, triankle, and cirkel... its very much like shooters for the PS2... with a little training its easy to controle:P

ONi

Oni
April 2nd, 2006, 13:19
PeterM,
how do i add that line?... i only get a eboot file when i download it... there is no config.cfg

ONi

charizard2005
April 2nd, 2006, 13:21
hey i downloaded quake bt wen i try to load it it comes up with a sentence in red saying error any1 help fix my problem????

qskint
April 2nd, 2006, 13:22
Oni
how do i add that line?... i only get a eboot file when i download it... there is no config.cfg

once you've ran the game once it will create a config.cfg inside the ID1 folder. you can then open this .cfg file in notepad and edit stuff

Oni
April 2nd, 2006, 13:30
Ok thx qskint

charizard, u'll need the shareware ID1 directory... u can download it at this very thread

ONi

ejaz619
April 2nd, 2006, 14:22
does t work ever time

alepus
April 2nd, 2006, 14:52
it works GREAT! thanks alot for this release!
played through the entire game on a multi coop game with a psp and another pc.

qskint
April 2nd, 2006, 15:13
another question =)

is it possible to add other maps? i took the deathmatch maps out of my pc quakes pak1 (dm1.bsp through to 6) and tried placing them into the id1 folder, which didnt work and then a id1/maps folder which also didnt work. says something like 'model maps dm2.bsp not found' or soemthing like that.

acn010
April 2nd, 2006, 15:24
ok, im having problems loading the game
from the menu from the eloader version 0.97(bock) i select the file quake from there i pressed circle, at that moment a huge sentence in red comes out saying "couldn't open eboot.pbp: 8001
and in the eloader menu to see the signature of quake comes out "error code: 1"
what the hell man!!!!, im really really desperated to play this game so much, I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank you.

PeterM
April 2nd, 2006, 15:28
Do you use the TIFF or GTA eLoader?
Which firmware version are you running?
Are you using the correct version of Quake for your firmware?

acn010
April 2nd, 2006, 15:34
i use TIFF.
my psp Firmware is 2.00, with the 2.50 dummy replaced (still v2.00)
and yes i am using the correct version of quake

PeterM
April 2nd, 2006, 15:43
I'm not sure what you mean by "2.50 dummy replaced", could you please go into more detail?

Perhaps the loader believes you're running 2.50 instead of 2.00? Maybe this can cause problems, but I'm not sure since I don't know how the loader works internally.

acn010
April 2nd, 2006, 15:47
its just 2.00, works like 2.00 and it is 2.00. 2.50 is just screen in order to play later version of video games such as DAXTER, which it needs 2.50. so my psp will work on that game still being 2.00.
it has nothing to do with it.

Produkt
April 2nd, 2006, 16:10
atleast the bochs thing works for ya..

I've been trying all morning to get the new eloader to work on my second PSP and its a pain in my ass... really...

Produkt
April 2nd, 2006, 16:31
the damned eloader wont load Quake so I'm rather pissed off...

acn010
April 2nd, 2006, 16:32
lol

acn010
April 2nd, 2006, 16:33
at least did you manage to load the eloader?

picco
April 2nd, 2006, 16:36
Hi, first excuse my english.
Quake work grate i can creat a game it works well
But, when i try to join one
i can read that my ip is my "local ip" (192.168.1.10 ://)
and so i get the message something like : "error resolving ip to name"
is that only a local area configuration problem?
did anyone got an idea?

Thank you.

Ninjax
April 2nd, 2006, 16:52
Hello thank you for this. But I do everything the tutorial tell me to do (v2.0) but at the end it says the following:

"This game cannot be started."
"The data is corrupted."

picco
April 2nd, 2006, 17:05
Hello thank you for this. But I do everything the tutorial tell me to do (v2.0) but at the end it says the following:

"This game cannot be started."
"The data is corrupted."

your psp version?
what have you done exactly?

Ninjax
April 2nd, 2006, 17:21
your psp version?
what have you done exactly?

Ok, I was trying that on version 2.0 and failed. But i have tried it on my other 1.5 psp, and it works great. Thanks!

All is we need now is snes multiplayer :D

Simon82
April 2nd, 2006, 17:55
When will we see an hardware accelerated version? :)

grimgamer101
April 2nd, 2006, 18:02
I got Quake to work. I want to play it by infrastructure. I turn it on, then got to tcp/ip or whatever, and where it says "join game at" I can't put in an IP address... the only typing button is select and it puts a squiggly line.

When I play single player I can't shoot it will say (button) button unbound. When I want to go somewhere it will say you dont have registered version

acn010
April 2nd, 2006, 18:05
Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!
I Cant Even Start The Game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oni
April 2nd, 2006, 18:42
grimgamer,
U'll have to set the button config urself in the option menu.
U can't put in an ip 'cos you don't have an OSK (On Screen Keyboard)

ONi

grimgamer101
April 2nd, 2006, 18:47
So oes that mean I can't play online? if so when will they make OSK for 2.01

Ninjax
April 2nd, 2006, 18:54
I got Quake to work. I want to play it by infrastructure. I turn it on, then got to tcp/ip or whatever, and where it says "join game at" I can't put in an IP address... the only typing button is select and it puts a squiggly line.

When I play single player I can't shoot it will say (button) button unbound. When I want to go somewhere it will say you dont have registered version

You can only join a game if you have another psp with quake hosting a game, and if you've done that, hit search. Wait 1 minute, and the server will appear, remember your PSP's your lan switch (left side of psp, looks like the on and off switch button). Also remember to but adhoc on.

About your controlls now, go to options --> Cutomize Controlls. Now you can set the controlls by, pressing X and the button you want the action to do.

Hope that was helpful.

shamino
April 2nd, 2006, 20:14
Hi,

great that this Quake Project isnt dead !

However i have PSP Version 2.60.

I copy the Files into the Game Folder:

PSP/Game/Quake/ -- there are the 2.0+ File

i have also the id1 folder in the Quake folder with the pak file of the Shareware version.

It shows up on the PSP with the Backround but when i want to play it it says that i cant be loaded.

I tryed every eboot files in the zip, and also the original pak files from the retail version of quake but it wont load.

Has someone get this to work for the PSP Version 2.60 ?

Greetings

Shamino

chaos-is-me
April 2nd, 2006, 22:07
Working great for me. Havn't tried multiplayer yet but single player is running good.

Sharkey
April 2nd, 2006, 22:25
Hehe, I've been waiting patiently for this one, mainly for the analog fix, thanks Peter. :)

zx-81
April 2nd, 2006, 23:26
I've tried a multiplayer game between a linux version of quake and my PSP 2.5, and it works fine (with server hosting on PSP) !!! :) :) :D :D

grimgamer101
April 3rd, 2006, 02:42
how can i go online with my 2.01 psp without OSK?

Yankee_182
April 3rd, 2006, 05:01
anybody can post a link so the people can download the full version of quake??

i apressiate

lostinblue
April 3rd, 2006, 06:01
is it working?

PeterM
April 3rd, 2006, 07:40
anybody can post a link so the people can download the full version of quake??

i apressiate
The full version isn't free - you'd need to go out and buy it. :rolleyes:

Yankee_182
April 3rd, 2006, 09:55
i get working the simpson mod taked from simpson Quake from Dreamcast
and is fully working :)

daibo
April 3rd, 2006, 14:17
@peterM: did u run any benchmarks on your port? I put demo1, demo2 and demo3 through timedemo and got and average output of 20 fps. A recorded match of John Romero playing against someone averaged 23,2 fps. Great results so far!

PeterM
April 3rd, 2006, 14:32
Chris and I have both done some good work on improving the speed, while hopefully not reducing the quality too much. We're pretty sure that the PSP's GE (graphics engine) is running as parallel as possible to the CPU, and the CPU never has to wait for it.

Obviously with software rendering, the CPU is the big bottleneck. We found when playing with the PSP's clock speeds that RAM clock speed also has a huge impact on performance.

Hopefully we can get hardware rendering working some time in the future.

daibo
April 3rd, 2006, 15:03
what's the problem right now? quake texture resolutions not power of 2? And which 3d api are you using? opengl or pspgu?

PeterM
April 3rd, 2006, 15:37
what's the problem right now? quake texture resolutions not power of 2? And which 3d api are you using? opengl or pspgu?
I think the main problem is actually the spare time to write the code!

There are implementation issues (you're right that Quake's textures are not powers of 2, nor are they aligned properly for the GE), but it's really that the Quake renderer is a large system that takes time to port to a new API.

While I would love to just take the GLQuake renderer, link with PSPGL and put my feet up, it's not that simple. GLQuake was written for PCs with lots of memory (both system RAM and video RAM) and the PSP is very short of both. It also submits vertices one by one, which will pretty much guarantee crappy performance on a PSP.

I've also not seen any demonstrations of PSPGL being able to handle to the amount of data (textures and geometry) that Quake renders. That's not to say it can't, and I'm probably going to try it, but I expect to run out of RAM, VRAM, and/or to experience hideous performance...

Given the PSP's limited resources, I believe that the best approach is to write a new renderer using the GU library. But since Quake is complicated, it's not a small task. We'll get there, but please don't expect it soon.

Pete

daibo
April 3rd, 2006, 18:16
thanks for your answer. BTW did you already tried gpeters server? I've just been on it and never seen as many players to play against as now. Give it a try! Looking forward to fragging you!

PeterM
April 3rd, 2006, 20:19
Luckily for me (I'm rubbish at Quake...) I don't have WiFi access!

ireakhavok
April 4th, 2006, 01:44
should it go in the game file? how do i upgrade to the newest version?

ireakhavok
April 4th, 2006, 02:19
hey i loaded it onto my psp but it said that it was corrupt... the version is 2.6... help plz

cswindle
April 4th, 2006, 07:13
hey i loaded it onto my psp but it said that it was corrupt... the version is 2.6... help plzAre you using the latest eLoader and GTA to play? If not you need to.

Chris

Be3f
April 4th, 2006, 13:22
@PeterM
Thanks, again for the great work!
But I have a few problems with V2:
-Resolution - It's 320x240 (or smth-like-this), but previous build ran in 480x272! Yes, It's ~1.5 Faster (Quake ran 13 FPS in 480x272, but now - 21FPS in timedemo1), but I prefer visual quality, than perfomance! How can I change Rez? Maybe there is a way to tipe "heigh" and ''width" in autoexec.cfg (whitch we used for original GLQuake in command line many years ago... :rolleyes: )? Or you may build 480x272 version, if it's possible?
-Nickname - when I used my full nick - ~>BEEF>}3@T3R]~ to play in Ad-hock Net with friends, Quake started to crash while loading singleplayer savegame, with an Error: cloasing brace in the wrong place. Ok, killed "]" & "}"
in name and solved problem. But I still want to use my full nick to play with friends. The other way is to use separate singleplayer and multiplayer cfg, but I need to use console to exec them ingame! How to get onscreen keyboard?
-Titlepic IMHO previous pic (with Ogre on Necropolis) was better than this screen (when you are lying on a floor, killed by Shambler!:)
__________________________________________________ _

Other thing, a bit offtop - Quake 2 port. McZonc's hides his mail and doesn't reply on the topics on his Great progect. There were no news on Quake 2 since 01 February, but Team Emergency Exit has realised few betas of their other projects since then! Does anyone know, is the Q2 port still being developed? Can anyone discribe how to run singleplayer levels on current beta, as it was done here?:
http://www.teamemergencyexit.com/2006/01/quake-ii-psp-single-player.html

PeterM
April 4th, 2006, 14:19
Regarding resolution:

Quake renders at 320x200 and scales up to 480x272. Unfortunately this is much lower quality than rendering full size. Unless you like the fuzziness, which I kinda do.

There are many places in Quake levels where it performs badly even at 320x200. At 480x272 it would be unplayable, so adding the ability to up the resolution isn't high priority.

When hardware acceleration comes along, it should be a non-issue anyway.

Regarding the crash:

I couldn't find an error message like that in the Quake code, are you sure that's what it says? Also, does the bug show up in the PC version?

Regarding the picture:

Aww, the poor shambler! :) Does anybody else prefer the old picture?

Feel free to send me your favourite screenshots - if I receive any, one of them will be used in the next release.

In the mean time, it is possible to replace the picture by using a tool like PBP unpacker ( http://www.pdc.me.uk/pbp/ ).

daibo
April 4th, 2006, 15:07
@ Be3f:
mcZonk stated in a german forum (psp-arena.de) that he's is taking a break of 4 months because of college graduation work. No updates of quake 2 is due to be released until June i guess.

CheeseWiz88
April 4th, 2006, 18:10
Really cool link to a shareware only download for Quake for those that are intereted:

http://freequake.quakeone.com

Has better graphics too. Its just the shareware version. Its hard to play it on the PSP to me.

cswindle
April 4th, 2006, 19:19
@PeterM
Thanks, again for the great work!Glad you appreciate the work put into Quake.

-Nickname - when I used my full nick - ~>BEEF>}3@T3R]~ to play in Ad-hock Net with friends, Quake started to crash while loading singleplayer savegame, with an Error: cloasing brace in the wrong place.The error message that you see coming up is "closing brace without data", this is Quake that is unable to handle the "}" in the player name, the same things happens on the PC version, so I don't think that this one will be high up on the list of things to change.

The other way is to use separate singleplayer and multiplayer cfg, but I need to use console to exec them ingame! How to get onscreen keyboard?You can get to the OSK using the square button in the console if you have v1.5, if you have v2+ then it is currently looking like the overflow means that we are unable to use the OSK. This will probably mean that it will require a new OSK to be developed for use in Quake. I would prefer to sort out hardware accelaration before developing an OSK to support all firmwares in Quake.

Chris

GamerGoneMad
April 5th, 2006, 01:29
I use a 2.6 version PSP and i use Bock for homebrew...when i load the homebrew using GTA the Quake game is there and when i go to load the game this comes up

The following error occurred:
W_LoadWadFile: could'nt load gfx.wad

how do i fix this problem?

PeterM
April 5th, 2006, 08:40
how do i fix this problem?
By reading the instructions... :p

moustaches
April 5th, 2006, 09:42
There have been nonstop delevelopment of Quake for 10 years now. And having Quake on PSP is awesome! On PC we've 24-bit textures, bump map textures, lightning, rain, snow, full md3 support, thousands of FFA/deathmatch/singleplayer maps and episodes, i dont even know what!

So, I'll give you these links, I hope you find'em usefull:

http://www.quakeone.com/ : maps, textures, etc
http://equake.quakeworld.nu/ : Free way to play Quake/Quakeworld (You dont need Original Quake)
http://facelift.quakedev.com/ : Quake Facelift
http://www.fteqw.com/ : Very nice Quake client (peep the screenshots!)
http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/ : another client for more competitive play

Be3f
April 6th, 2006, 12:42
@PeterM & cswindle
Thanks 4 "Tech Support"! :) ;) If all developers would reply in this way! :rolleyes:

The error message that you see coming up is "closing brace without data", this is Quake that is unable to handle the "}" in the player name, the same things happens on the PC version, so I don't think that this one will be high up on the list of things to change.

Yes, right. I didn't use full nick in QuakeWorld, so didn't know about this bug (or feature :D )

You can get to the OSK using the square button in the console if you have v1.5, if you have v2+ then it is currently looking like the overflow means that we are unable to use the OSK. This will probably mean that it will require a new OSK to be developed for use in Quake. I would prefer to sort out hardware accelaration before developing an OSK to support all firmwares in Quake.

Thanks for adding OSK! I have fw1.5[JAP], and it works fine :) Now I use separate MP/SP cfg's.

I've watched Quake Done Quick Demo on PSP - looks sweet. :p
http://qdq.planetquake.gamespy.com/
But I have a little problem with key binding. I've wrote this config for qdq mod:
bind "TRIANGLE" "impulse 103"
bind "CIRCLE" "impulse 105"
bind "CROSS" "impulse 106"
bind "SQUARE" "impulse 104"
bind "LTRIGGER" "impulse 101"
bind "RTRIGGER" "impulse 102"
bind "UPARROW" "impulse 107"
bind "DOWNARROW" "impulse 109"
bind "LEFTARROW" "host_framerate 0.0065"
bind "RIGHTARROW" "host_framerate 0.1"
bind "START" "host_framerate 0.0"

All keys operate as they must do, except LEFTARROW & RIGHTARROW - both these buttons open (not toggle, simply open) Menu, but not change framerate! I've not found this action for arrows in config, generated by Quake after startup! What's the problem? Wanna see slo-mo action! :)

drmadcow
April 7th, 2006, 03:49
Thanks 4 Quake on PSP dude this things great. I been playin it since it came out that games sweet

dcmain
April 7th, 2006, 18:39
agreed! It's really cool. I was amazed at how well it plays, the controls are well thought out.

Once hardware rendering works it'll be that little bit smoother as well, I hope!

I'm having a little trouble getting the full version to work with it, because i've got a strange version I got bundled with "Tenebrae" a few years ago, so there's no gfx.wad, just all the maps in their own folder and similar.
If the worst comes to the worst, I'll buy it from somewhere.

Thanks guys!

Be3f
April 7th, 2006, 19:41
I have another problem with V2!
Tried to play Multiplayer with laptop - got stable Wi-Fi connection (11Mb/s), but Quake doesn't see server on both devises! :( Tried different ways to make it work - hosting server on PSP & Laptop, different Quake PSP-ports with multipayer (V1.1, V2, V2+GP), different PC Quake Ports (original GLQuake, DarkPlaces, joeQuake, tomazQuake and QW - orig, ZQuake, fuhQuake...), different multiplayer settings (AdHock/Infrastracture), typing IP adresses myself and so on, but couldn't solve the problem! Help, anybody!

cswindle
April 7th, 2006, 23:13
Tried to play Multiplayer with laptop - got stable Wi-Fi connection (11Mb/s), but Quake doesn't see server on both devises! :(What do you mean by failed to see the server on both devices? The way that I test is hosting a server on my PC and connecting to the server from my PSP which has worked in each version that I have released.

Tried different ways to make it work - hosting server on PSP & Laptop, different Quake PSP-ports with multipayer (V1.1, V2, V2+GP), different PC Quake Ports (original GLQuake, DarkPlaces, joeQuake, tomazQuake and QW - orig, ZQuake, fuhQuake...), different multiplayer settings (AdHock/Infrastracture), typing IP adresses myself and so on, but couldn't solve the problem! Help, anybody!In order to connect to a server on the PC (with GLQuake or software Q1) you must use infrastructure mode and an access point. It could be that a firewall on your access point is blocking certain ports when going from the Wifi connection to the wired connect. I am presuming that when you are trying to host & join a server the wifi light is on.

Have you managed to connect to a server running quake (outside you lan)?

Are there any errors that show up on the console on the PSP after you scan for the connections?

Chris

duncanyoyo1
April 12th, 2006, 20:54
uhh...um :confused:

duncanyoyo1
April 12th, 2006, 20:55
Got it Sweeet!
(not anything to do with above i mean i got quake working after a bit of trouble)

duncanyoyo1
April 12th, 2006, 20:55
this is awesome!

gpeters
April 13th, 2006, 08:19
Tried to play Multiplayer with laptop - got stable Wi-Fi connection (11Mb/s), but Quake doesn't see server on both devises! :( Tried different ways to make it work - hosting server on PSP & Laptop, different Quake PSP-ports with multipayer (V1.1, V2, V2+GP), different PC Quake Ports (original GLQuake, DarkPlaces, joeQuake, tomazQuake and QW - orig, ZQuake, fuhQuake...), different multiplayer settings (AdHock/Infrastracture), typing IP adresses myself and so on, but couldn't solve the problem! Help, anybody!
scargill from my forums was having a problem like this... I think he ended up deleting his wifi connection settings and reset them on the PSP and he was able to connect to online servers from then on.... have you tried that yet?

Chris and/or Peter,
I don't know if you guys are even working on this anymore, but here is what I have found. The screenshot function(relatively insignificant) is not working in the V2 release. The other thing I wanted to bring up is, a lot of servers require you to set the zone parameter for holding aliases and config information. Because you cant run a command line to start quake, it uses the default value. Would it be possible to hard code a zone setting into the source. Many people are getting the Z_Malloc error crash on servers because they push too many commands to the clients. perhaps -zone 1024 or 768 would prevent a lot of crashes

Here is the info on the command parameter
-zone

Type: Parameter

Syntax: game.exe -zone (bytes)

Description: Specify the amount of memory in bytes to allocate to holding dynamic information such as aliases.

Note: You will need to specify a value such as 512 if you experience game crashes because of too many aliases being loaded into memory. It is not necessary specify any larger value, since this value will work suffice.

Example: game.exe -zone 512

Thanks!
-Garret

NeoTheOne
April 14th, 2006, 18:38
it doesnt work! i use 2.60 and when i open it it says "This game cannot be started.The data is corrupt"

HELP!!!!

PeterM
April 14th, 2006, 18:41
You need to use eLoader from http://www.fanjita.org and launch it from GTA.

dave01
April 16th, 2006, 18:47
My firmware is 2.6, when i load Quake with eloader using GTA it does not start and says

"The following error occurred:
W_LoadWadFile: couldn't load gfx.wad."

HELP!!!!!!!

pspfan
April 16th, 2006, 22:43
Do you have the pak0.pak shareware quake file in your PSP/GAME/Quake/ID1 folder?

PeterM
April 17th, 2006, 01:47
dave01, have you read the readme.txt?

Sanmar
April 17th, 2006, 08:18
Hey guys,

Never been a poster here but just after getting two 1.5psps with this we were able to wifi adhoc instantly and start playing straight away.

Would like to start working on a decent keymap/config file to host, b/c its a pain to first get sorted when all you want to do is jump in and start playing :p.

Nice work guys, greatly appreciated!!

PeterM
April 17th, 2006, 08:53
Glad you like it! You should give Garret Peters' modified version a go, since it makes it easier to connect.

Presumably that is, since I've never tried it (no Wi Fi here).

Snoopie
April 21st, 2006, 04:34
Peter,

This is an exceptional version of Quake for the PSP - Much quicker and smoother than the already excellent previous release. I've tried the full retail version of Quake, as well as expansion packs one and two, and they seem to work flawless. I'm in the process of attempting to try various add on maps. It's classic games like Quake and Doom that give me reason to own and cherish my PSP.

Thank you for your continued efforts.

- Snoopie. :)

Hawkeyefile
May 2nd, 2006, 06:26
im i the only one at a loss on how to activate the on screen keyboard? im using v1.5
edit: nvm its the SQUARE KEY

seahawk_2k
May 7th, 2006, 01:46
is it poss to get this working on a psp using firmware 1.51 and up?

Cooe14
May 7th, 2006, 04:11
Yeah what firmware are you?

Be3f
May 20th, 2006, 06:04
Are there any news on the project? HW rendering still doesn't work?

Cooe14
May 20th, 2006, 06:12
Me thinks this project is dead...

PeterM
May 20th, 2006, 10:30
It's not dead. I've been busy with exams and work, and Chris is probably busy too - I've not spoken with him for a while, so I'm not sure.

Sharkey
May 20th, 2006, 20:16
Me thinks this project is dead...

The last one wasn't posted that long ago.
You should wait a while before jumping to negative conclusions, some people. :rolleyes:

Even if this was a final build though, it would be a fine one.
I was never interested in multiplayer and I think this version runs pretty good, expansion packs, mods and all.

Clinical
May 21st, 2006, 20:10
You guys are legends!

Classic old games like this are PERFECT for "on-the-go" gaming.

Won't say too much because you've had it all before, but i think i'm in love with you.

Quality work.

muaythai kadena
June 4th, 2006, 18:56
hey ho do i get da full version. if you have the answer you can mail me at [email protected] thanks

PeterM
June 4th, 2006, 18:57
You buy it from a shop.

falln89
June 10th, 2006, 19:01
can we play quake over the net? Not just between friends or just your own computer..?

pspfan
June 10th, 2006, 19:47
falln89,
Yes you can. For an easy way to do it you can head over to http://garretpeters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=15. Otherwise, you just have to type in the IP of the game you want to join when you're at the multiplayer screen. The garretpeters server has been slow lately, but we're working on getting it to be popular again.

falln89
June 10th, 2006, 22:17
lovely, thx pspfan =)

300_win _mag
June 27th, 2006, 02:23
its great but i cant seem to typ in it a like i cant even put down my name so i cant get on multiplayer and i cant typ a adress

300_win _mag
June 28th, 2006, 04:06
on the multiplayer i cant have a hud and on the singleplayer is there a way to fix this

Be3f
July 5th, 2006, 09:33
@Peter & Chris
Hi guys, are you still deving this project?:confused:
It's not dead? :confused:

gpeters
July 13th, 2006, 05:38
hope not, I have been getting more traffic on my server as of lately. Someone took my latest config files and packaged it with Chris and Peter's Quake v2. seems to have come back slightly... Hope the project isn't gone... I would liked to have seen hardware acceleration- alas, I have no coding skills, and no desire to bring the headaches and work on myself. Not to mention, I don't believe the PSP source was made public- something that Id Software's gpl licence requires(I think)...?

PeterM
July 14th, 2006, 00:38
Sorry for not replying sooner - I've been on holiday.

I've been doing no work on Quake, but Chris has been doing some good stuff. I may do more in the future now that my PSP is 1.5 again. 2.6 is a pain to develop on - rebooting GTA every tweak, weeee.

Oh, by the way - the source is available on SourceForge. We really should do a proper source release though, since at the moment recent source is available only by CVS.

toto73
August 2nd, 2006, 09:03
Hi everybody, since I got fw 1.5 I can use OSC so does anybody know a command that shows the statistics of the level (tab button on pc) during play, i.e. what you see when you die or finish the level - monsters killed, secrets found, ecc.

I almost forgot.....STANDING OVATION FOR PETER & CHRIS!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys

Physicist
August 2nd, 2006, 20:19
can i change the controls to allow me to use the analog stick for looking?
i cant seem to figure it out so im playing the game without ever looking up lol.

edit: ok i have to press a button to use analog look, but holding it down is annoying. cant i toggle it on/off permanently?

PeterM
August 3rd, 2006, 07:45
If you add +mlook to your config.cfg that should sort it out.

After that you should probably unbind the analog nub look key too so you don't accidentally press it during play.

Physicist
August 3rd, 2006, 10:56
where exactly? bear in mind i know very little about what i am doing.
from looking at the cfg i have to type it in somewhere as: bind "key" "+mlook"

but its already in the cfg > bind "\" "+mlook"

PeterM
August 3rd, 2006, 11:07
Ah I realised that config.cfg is automatically generated, so you probably don't want to edit that one.

If you create a new file called "autoexec.cfg" next to config.cfg and just put "+mlook" (without the quotes) in it that should do it.

FYI, +mlook turns on "mouse" look, -mlook turns it off.

By binding a key to +mlook, pressing the key sends Quake a +mlook and releasing it sends a -mlook.

Physicist
August 3rd, 2006, 11:15
thanks but i didnt even have to do that. i opened the config.cfg in notepad deleted all of the bind "xxx" "+mlook" and typed "+mlook" at the very end and it works just the same :)

Edit: Typing +mlook into the ingame console does the job too. Although neither of these are permanent, exiting game seems to undo the changes... Trying the autoexec one now then.

gpeters
August 4th, 2006, 03:28
If you are using the newest menu system(v2.0), you can go here and configure custom commands with little-to no knowledge of quake and it's in-game syntax:

To download the newest config, go here:
http://garretpeters.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=105
To make a new control scheme, go here:
http://garretpeters.com/quake/custom/

just as a warning, some of my site is not IE friendly.
-G

AbusiveOwl
August 4th, 2006, 04:09
:( Hi,

great that this Quake Project isnt dead !

However i have PSP Version 2.60.

I copy the Files into the Game Folder:

PSP/Game/Quake/ -- there are the 2.0+ File

i have also the id1 folder in the Quake folder with the pak file of the Shareware version.

It shows up on the PSP with the Backround but when i want to play it it says that i cant be loaded.

I tryed every eboot files in the zip, and also the original pak files from the retail version of quake but it wont load.

Has someone get this to work for the PSP Version 2.60 ?

PeterM
August 4th, 2006, 06:06
You need GTA and eLoader to load the game under firmware 2.60 -- as the readme.txt clearly says, and as is heavily documented on pretty much every PSP site.

toto73
August 4th, 2006, 12:37
Hi Peter,
it is possible to put a bind to let the sound button on psp to show scores at the pressing?
(i.e. - bind SOUND "+showscores")

gpeters
August 5th, 2006, 04:42
You need GTA and eLoader to load the game under firmware 2.60 -- as the readme.txt clearly says, and as is heavily documented on pretty much every PSP site.
You too have noticed the 15 or so repeated questions. Seems that people forget what a bulletin is for... huh.

Toto73- I don't believe the sound button was included in the programming... ergh I didn't see it in the source anyhow. If you look into the config menus written for quake on psp, there is a way to display scores. When you are done looking at scores, you just press select and your regular controls are restored... hope that helps.

toto73
August 7th, 2006, 09:34
Toto73- I don't believe the sound button was included in the programming... ergh I didn't see it in the source anyhow. If you look into the config menus written for quake on psp, there is a way to display scores. When you are done looking at scores, you just press select and your regular controls are restored... hope that helps.

Thanks, but I've already done this way - since I use analog, I've put the command "+showscores" on downarrow :)

toto73
August 7th, 2006, 09:42
I don't know if someone can help, but I've tried to use with "Quake V2" the 2 official expansion pack as well others that I have on cd like Qzone and Malice (renaming them pak2.pak) and they work quite fine except for Malice....I don't know if the problem is that it has 4 .pak...anyone help?

Thanks
Antonio

liamo
August 11th, 2006, 19:26
Yo, this is my first post. i have put quake onto the psp and put the id1 folder in but it wont work. what should be in the id1 folder

pspfan
August 11th, 2006, 20:24
You need the pak1.pak file from the official Quake website, it's all in the readme.

Broadus
August 12th, 2006, 07:41
This runs great, even on eLoader! I put the full Quake game into the ID1 directory so now I can play Quake with full sound and speed on the friggin' PSP! What an awesome release.
However, something is lacking... Would it be possible to add Quake mods to this PSP game? Offline multiplayer and single player is so boring without Deathmatch or Co-operative bots, and I can't figure out how to get bots (and other mods) to work without replacing the original PAK0.pak.
Also, is it possible to turn off the auto-center (or slow it down) that makes the player's vision level when he moves?

md2
August 14th, 2006, 21:42
a couple of things...

if using the auto installer (http://www.qj.net/index.php?pg=49&aid=60569), pk0 comes with it... sould i use my pk0 from the CD-ROM, or just leave the one that came with the auto installer..?

how do you toggle the hud..? it is completely off atm...

do i need the glquake dir..? everything seems to play fine on the psp without it...

are there any ways to tweak the graphics (like in the cfg files)..?

i get setup in infrastruccture just fine, but i am never able to connecto to any servers (of the four listed)...

thanks, in advance, for any assistance or input in these matters...

Broadus
August 14th, 2006, 23:07
I always ask questions and they never get answered.
The PK0 that comes with the auto-installer is the DEMO. If you have the FULL VERSION, use the PK0 and PK1 instead.
You don't toggle the HUD in Quake. You go to the "screen size" slider and lower it so it will show your HUD.
You don't need the glquake directory because Quake for the PSP is in software mode, not OpenGL mode.
What's wrong with the graphics the way they are?
Sorry, I don't know anything about connecting to servers, I've never been able to search for any.

Would it be possible to add Quake mods to this PSP game? Offline multiplayer and single player is so boring without Deathmatch or Co-operative bots, and I can't figure out how to get bots (and other mods) to work without replacing the original PAK0.pak.
Also, is it possible to turn off the auto-center (or slow it down) that makes the player's vision level out when he moves?

md2
August 15th, 2006, 06:35
The PK0 that comes with the auto-installer is the DEMO. If you have the FULL VERSION, use the PK0 and PK1 instead.

OK - it works just fine.

You don't toggle the HUD in Quake. You go to the "screen size" slider and lower it so it will show your HUD.

a-ha! works like a charm - thank you.

You don't need the glquake directory because Quake for the PSP is in software mode, not OpenGL mode.

that's what i thought, but it never hurts to ask...

What's wrong with the graphics the way they are?

well, they could be better - i have seen quake 1 look better on PC, and i bet there are optimizations yet to be implemented in this psp port. i am not b*tching, just asking...

Sorry, I don't know anything about connecting to servers, I've never been able to search for any.

well thanks anyway - you have been most helpful...

is there a different ip i need to use for psp-quake..? i wonder why i can connect..? what about the baud and all those settings - are they config'd for the psp out of the box (via the auto installer)..?

tia

ps - i think you can set that view suff in the confg file using the console commands...

Broadus
August 15th, 2006, 06:41
The reason Quake probably looked better on your PC might've been because it was in a higher resolution, and was therefore less blurry, fuzzy and/or pixelized.
Because the PSP only goes to 480x272, it will look worse than it would at 640x480 (lowest resolution for modern games, though Quake can go as low as 320x200) or MUCH worse than it would on 1024x768. However, texture and model quality can't be adjusted no matter where you're playing Quake, so that's always the same. It's really just the resolution, which can't be fixed.

gpeters
August 17th, 2006, 04:31
md2:

is there a different ip i need to use for psp-quake..? i wonder why i can connect..? what about the baud and all those settings - are they config'd for the psp out of the box (via the auto installer)..?

tia
No need to worry about the baud settings... the code should read:

connect garretpeters.com
See my forum for an updated config if you arent using the 2.0 config files.

Broadus:

Would it be possible to add Quake mods to this PSP game? Offline multiplayer and single player is so boring without Deathmatch or Co-operative bots, and I can't figure out how to get bots (and other mods) to work without replacing the original PAK0.pak.
Dont replace the pack files, add your mod pak and call it pak2.pak or pak3.pak and so on if more than one pak is needed for that mod. In addition to that, mods come with a progs.dat file. Add your progs.dat file in the ID1 folder with the rest of your configs and your mod pak files.... the only downside to this is that you lose the ability to play the original until you remove the progs.dat file for your mod... I have verified this with FvF aka Future vs. Fantasy on the PSP... you will have to write one helluva config file to get the controls to work right with some mods though- or they feel almost unplayable. Let me know what kind of luck you have with this. Also, you might note the PSP-Quake server has spawnable bots on the deathmatch stages(dm1-6) for you to fight when nobody is around- or you can vote-teams and change your pant color to side with the bots.

Also, is it possible to turn off the auto-center (or slow it down) that makes the player's vision level out when he moves?
I think this is the command you are looking for:
lookspring (T)
Syntax: lookspring <0/1>

Default: 0

Toggles if the view will recenter after mlook is deactivated. Only works with the mouse and joystick.

If you want it off, insert this into your autoexec:

lookspring 0
That might fix you up depending on the results you are after.

Broadus
August 17th, 2006, 05:18
Hey, thanks for the response!
Replacing the original .PAK files is VERY toiling, it's true, and kind of pointless.
So, I just put everything for a single mod in ID1 without replacing the pak0.pak and pak1.pak files... Much nicer.
I'm definitely already aware of the weird control configuration thing. I only have three spare buttons for making bots in co-operative, so I have to be careful as to what I set before taking my PSP away from the computer to configure the controls again.
So, I'll try to get a mod working without replacing original files, and I'll see if I can't get rid of that look spring. Thanks again!

ICE
September 5th, 2006, 04:07
anyone looking for very good shooter ported to a psp thats ridiculously easy to install on the psp and runs very very well this is your game. get it now.

Physicist
September 5th, 2006, 10:34
i agree, this game goes above and beyond the quality of any other.

now if somebody could just get half life on!!! it works on any pc in the world, why not psp?

PeterM
September 5th, 2006, 10:43
now if somebody could just get half life on!!! it works on any pc in the world, why not psp?
Because source code isn't available? :rolleyes:

If it was just a case of "putting it on PSP", don't you think it would be done already?

Broadus
September 6th, 2006, 01:44
Yep, the only way to get the Half-Life source is to pay big bucks for it, and then you have to sell everything you make with it, 'cause you can't give it away.

Dutt
September 7th, 2006, 13:18
is the guys still working on geting it to use hardware excelleration?

EDIT= PeterM could u please tell me if u r still working on this port? thanks..

Physicist
September 7th, 2006, 13:22
i know i know. id pay for it though. just about the only game id buy since i bought wipeout.

Broadus
September 8th, 2006, 03:38
Yeah, isn't it weird how they released tons of third-person platformer/shooter games for the PSP and racing games and whatnot, but there are hardly any decent first-person-shooters? Probably because the one-joystick thing.
The Nokia N-Gage had several really cool FPS games made for it right from the start, and the N-Gage isn't anywhere near as capable as the PSP for rendering FPS games.
Half-Life would be pretty awesome, and so would other crazy, weird games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Though I don't dig either of those games when I'm sitting at home, I'd play them all the time if they were portable. They're pretty similar, really.
At least Medal of Honor and Call of Duty will be answering the realistic FPS problem for the PSP.

Now we need crazy, ficticious crap.

This well-made Quake port is all we have for trippy FPS games, for now.
I mean, REALLY well-made. Runs fast and has great audio and the controls feel like DOOM, which isn't a bad thing, though it sucks when an enemy is above or below the screen.
GET IT! GET THIS PORT, EVERYONE! Then get your hands on the full game of Quake 1 and put that on your PSP using this source port! It's friggin' great!

gpeters
September 10th, 2006, 05:37
Not to mention the fact that this can be like a Beats of Rage type thing. There are so many mods for Quake that you can enjoy just by installing this eboot. I play Quake, and have made several other stand-alone pak files to work for it. Of course, they are old games, but there was a side scrolling mod for quake back in the day that seems to play pretty darn good on the psp, as well as airquake, goldcup rally, slide, and even a game of online 3d chess can be played with this homebrew. Not to jump subjects too much, but I wish someone would get the hardware acceleration going on this... the engine has and always had great potential for a variety of gaming. I wonder if any of those coders that work with the 3d would take a crack at adding hardware accel. to the source or even if somebody could come up with a menu like BOR to pick what mod you wanted to load.... Oh yeah, if anyone has played on the PSP-Quake server, and the ping was a little slow, I will be putting a pak file out soon to add into your id1 folder that will allow you to use the grappling hook, jetpack, and even spawn an ally bot to help you through the single player game.

Broadus
September 10th, 2006, 21:26
Yeah, Quake had an awful lot of mods which could be used on the PSP, but a lot of them require "special engines" that I couldn't figure out, and seemingly weird ways to run them. I don't know, I'm probably wrong. I didn't REALLY try.
Zues Bots make great teammates on single player, though they can be pretty slow on PSP multiplayer because of the PSP's memory limitations. I've only been able to run with around three smoothely, which is fine for single player.
I haven't been able to play online multiplayer on PSP Quake, probably because I'm using 2.6 and there's no way to type in IPs or anything. Still, this whole thing is great. VERY well-done.

PeterM
September 10th, 2006, 22:23
is the guys still working on geting it to use hardware excelleration?

EDIT= PeterM could u please tell me if u r still working on this port? thanks..
Hello,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I've not done any programming on Quake for a long time now -- I started a new job and I've been pretty busy with that.

Chris was working on hardware rendering, but I don't know how far he's gotten.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful :(

Pete

JKKDARK
September 10th, 2006, 22:55
Quake rocks on PSP

gpeters
September 11th, 2006, 19:12
Hello,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I've not done any programming on Quake for a long time now -- I started a new job and I've been pretty busy with that.

Chris was working on hardware rendering, but I don't know how far he's gotten.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful :(

Pete

Thats a shame it seems to be dropped- though everyone understands there is life outside of games. I just downloaded the psp source files yesterday from sourcforge and added them to the winquake source just to play around with it. I won't be doing anything with it but studying the code. Maybe attempt to put a loader menu like what Doom has for launching mods or a server list... I am a noob when it comes to coding. Somebody should PM Chris and see if he might need some help working with the hardware video. There are quite a few developers out there who have made some slick 3d apps.

I haven't been able to play online multiplayer on PSP Quake, probably because I'm using 2.6 and there's no way to type in IPs or anything. Still, this whole thing is great. VERY well-done.

Broadus... have you tried the menu system I developed from the quake in-game syntax? It will allow you to connect to any online server without the OSK. you can download it from my forums on my site. The latest released version is 2.0... which is fairly old, but works great.

Be3f
September 16th, 2006, 14:04
So, no one here can contact Chris? He hasn't visited this thread for a few months! Maybe, he has some present for us? =)

gpeters
September 16th, 2006, 17:14
Not sure, but when I compiled the source from the CVS repository, I noticed he has added(5 months ago) a netservers.cfg function that seems a bit buggy. It works by allowing you to put in a list of servers in a file and when you do a search for local servers, it is supposed to ping all the servers in your list and give you available servers to connect to.... for some reason, it only worked after I had a valid connection to a server or was running a server- the game just crashed if I made wifi connection, but no connection to a server. Perhaps he wasn't done working the bugs out...?

Dutt
September 18th, 2006, 12:47
Mayb McZonk could help out with hardware rendering now that he is back at it....?
sugestions anyone?

abscheele
September 25th, 2006, 02:31
when ever i start quake I get a curupted data error

abscheele
September 25th, 2006, 02:35
When ever I start quake I get a curupted data error
any sugestions

MarkNizzle
September 25th, 2006, 05:37
yeah i get the same thing (W_loadWadFile: Couldn't load GFX.wad)

MIB.42
September 25th, 2006, 07:15
I've mapped movement to analog, but since than, I have problem with "run"ning. I tried "impulse 96" as well as "+speed" mapped to "SQUARE", but it seems to be ignored. Any ideas?

Right now my controls are :
bind "UPARROW" "zoom_in"
bind "DOWNARROW" "zoom_out"
bind "LEFTARROW" "impulse 10"
bind "RIGHTARROW" "impulse 98"
bind "TRIANGLE" "+mlook"
bind "CIRCLE" "+jump;impulse 97;impulse 95"
bind "CROSS" "+attack"
bind "SQUARE" "+speed"
bind "LTRIGGER" "+moveleft"
bind "RTRIGGER" "+moveright"

PeterM
September 25th, 2006, 08:21
People who get errors on start need to read the docs.

MIB.42 - Is "always run" set in the options screen?

MIB.42
September 25th, 2006, 08:31
People who get errors on start need to read the docs.

MIB.42 - Is "always run" set in the options screen?

Nope, it's : ALWAYS RUN : OFF

abscheele
September 26th, 2006, 22:56
I always get the "game cannot be started. The data is corrupted.

any recomndations

PeterM
September 26th, 2006, 23:18
Yes, read the readme.txt and follow the instructions.

drillroid
September 28th, 2006, 02:16
how much is it to buy it?

PeterM
September 28th, 2006, 08:17
The demo (shareware) version of Quake is free (available at https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=158726 ), which works fine on PSP, but you'll need to buy the full version elsewhere if you want to play more levels.

You can probably find it in the bargain bin of many shops, or hunt around online.

Thanks for considering paying for the game instead of pirating it.

rock3t
October 1st, 2006, 04:52
whenever i try and do infastructure mode the green light enver comes on... only when i do adhoc mode it works... which is worthless cuz i only have 1 psp.. any ideas? im using 2.71 marzen

rock3t
October 2nd, 2006, 03:48
oh yea i tried to call the 1800idgames number and it didnt even work =P

**1_Man_Matrix**
October 18th, 2006, 03:04
What are the legal implications of porting the Half-life: UPLINK DEMO to the PSP.
I'm thinking if it's in the same style as Quake PSP, whereas only the necessary files to make it PSP compatible are released, and you must acquire it yourself. Not only that, it is also a demo.
I'm outta the loop with legality and GPL's, so would this still be a problem?
I understand it's an on or off situation, so the slightest doubt, then I'd go with NO, IT'S NOT OK.

Cheers :P

PeterM
October 19th, 2006, 13:26
No idea, is the source code for the demo available? I'm guessing "no", so you really mean a code remake (not a port).

I'd presume you'd have no legal hassles if you didn't distribute the demo data files separate from the demo.

But I'm not a lawyer.

**1_Man_Matrix**
October 20th, 2006, 00:29
Yer me neither :)

Thanks man, just curious to see how the old girl (PSP) would handle it.

Anyway, while were on the subject of Quake, anyone know how to get the Analog stick to strafe instead of turn? I've tried heaps of different things, assuming the analog nub is just replacing the mouse and Quake thinks it's just a mouse, I tried various mouse bindings etc.
I even tried making it so the +strafe was always in use whenever the analog nub was moved at all... Bah any ideas?

Cheers :D

P.S - A 3 Player TCP/IP game between PC, Laptop & PSP is amazing.. With PSP hosting! Nice work!

Be3f
October 20th, 2006, 09:26
@PeterM
So, are you going to continue the work on this project, or you gave up?! Do you still communicate with Chris?

PeterM
October 20th, 2006, 09:48
Anyway, while were on the subject of Quake, anyone know how to get the Analog stick to strafe instead of turn? I've tried heaps of different things, assuming the analog nub is just replacing the mouse and Quake thinks it's just a mouse, I tried various mouse bindings etc.
I even tried making it so the +strafe was always in use whenever the analog nub was moved at all... Bah any ideas?

Hmm I'm not sure really. I suspect it may not be possible the way we handle the analog nub at the moment. If I do any more work on the project I'll be sure to check it out.

P.S - A 3 Player TCP/IP game between PC, Laptop & PSP is amazing.. With PSP hosting! Nice work!

Cool! :-)

You've got Chris to thank for that since he did the networking support.

PeterM
October 20th, 2006, 09:51
@PeterM
So, are you going to continue the work on this project, or you gave up?! Do you still communicate with Chris?

I wouldn't say that I've given up, but I am completely swamped with Uni and Real Life just now.

Just moved house, so things are pretty hectic.

I've not spoken to or heard anything from Chris in months. I suspect he's busy at the moment too.

I know it's frustrating from a game player's perspective not to see frequent updates, but it's hard to find time for hobby projects like Quake when there are higher priority things that need done.

Hubssc
October 20th, 2006, 20:27
can i put the Music tracks in mp3 format to hear the music or dont work the music in this port ??

Hubssc
October 21st, 2006, 17:33
push

gpeters
October 28th, 2006, 04:58
nah, but you can encode them into wav files and write command lines into a config for playing those tracks... not even close to worth the time for the end result.

PeterM
October 30th, 2006, 09:32
I did experiment with mp3 support using libmad a while ago, but the frame rate hit was very severe.

I'm sure it would be great though if decoding were to be done on the separate media processor, but I didn't have time to look into that.

Be3f
November 1st, 2006, 14:44
I wouldn't say that I've given up, but I am completely swamped with Uni and Real Life just now.

Just moved house, so things are pretty hectic.

I've not spoken to or heard anything from Chris in months. I suspect he's busy at the moment too.

I know it's frustrating from a game player's perspective not to see frequent updates, but it's hard to find time for hobby projects like Quake when there are higher priority things that need done.
Certainly, reality is always on the first place.
I've updated to the custom 2.71 SE-B' firmware (2.71 internet and other functions + 1.50 homebrew - rulezz! :cool: ) and OSK doesn't work in Quake now (PSP freezes). :( That's, why 2.71 built-in OSK is different, then OSK in 1.50, right? :confused:
It would be great, if you'll dev a build for 2.71 SE... :rolleyes:
I found, that Quake runs at 222MHz, true? Maybe, you can overclock it to 333 (as McZonk did in Quake 2)? :rolleyes:

josh666
November 1st, 2006, 23:28
what version is this for

**1_Man_Matrix**
November 7th, 2006, 00:33
A few years ago, I never thought I'd be carrying around Doom, Duke 3D and Quake in my pocket. Ah gotta love technology :D

pimpmaster6000
November 20th, 2006, 10:52
hey peter are you the coder for psp quake. if so, you rock! Anyways, im new to it and i cant select any access points. When I select infrastructure it doesnt search for any or anything at all. If someone ever reads this then maybe they can help me out please!
my email is [email protected]
I know it's a very slim chance that someone will actually email me, but i would really appreciate it plz :)

pimpmaster5000
November 22nd, 2006, 12:15
hey peter are you the coder for psp quake. if so, you rock! Anyways, im new to it and i cant select any access points. When I select infrastructure it doesnt search for any or anything at all. If someone ever reads this then maybe they can help me out please!
my email is [email protected]
I know it's a very slim chance that someone will actually email me, but i would really appreciate it plz :)

nevermind, got it working. I just wish ppl actually still played this online. it seems that only one of the four servers is still active :(

shinokamui
November 24th, 2006, 04:57
I got analog strafing to work in about 10 minutes after dl'ing the source. right now my changes make any other movement (mlook or mturn) impossible, so as soon as I clean it up (Ill try and make a menu item, or if im too lazy, bind this new config to mlook 2), Ill see if these guys will import my changes back into the cvs tree. Also I've not been able to get mods working, I tried to create a text frontpage modloader, but apparently pspquake no longer takes argc and argsv[] seriously. Just running mods the way its stated in this forum doesn't seem to work either, the packs take over the graphics and sounds as expected, but the progs.dat doesn't ever seem to load. PROGS.DAT or progs.dat, doesn't matter, doesn't work. continuing to investigate the code.

-Kamui-

IF one of the DEVS reads this, can I possibly get an email address or method of correspondence? I have a few questions about the nature of argc and argsv, for making modloading work as normal. Thanks!

AngelofDeth
December 16th, 2006, 00:11
hi all, im a noob (just signed up with form) and really want to play quake on my psp. I dl'ed and installed the stuff but it still wont work. I have 2.80 firmware and have not done any thing yet (hacking). any help would be great.

carlitx
December 16th, 2006, 15:11
hi all, im a noob (just signed up with form) and really want to play quake on my psp. I dl'ed and installed the stuff but it still wont work. I have 2.80 firmware and have not done any thing yet (hacking). any help would be great.

Ok dude scince i am just getting out of my noob phase ill gladly help ya.

1: Got www.noobz.eu and download the eLoader .995/Kriek and install it on your psp that once it's installed(if you did it right) goto the photo menu of your psp and where it says eloader on a folder press start than the loader should load up press x on the hombrew you want to play and away you go:) There should also be installer that you run on wondows and it does all the work enjoy.

Now onto my problem I WANNA PLAY ONLINE :'( how do i play oline with this i just found it and i love online shooters! plz help me.

TacticalBread
December 16th, 2006, 20:14
Now onto my problem I WANNA PLAY ONLINE :'( how do i play oline with this i just found it and i love online shooters! plz help me.

First, you need a wireless router, and an active internet connection.

Once you have these installed and working, go to Network Settings in the PSP XMB, and make a connection, using the SSID from your router, and run Quake, and choose Multiplayer --> Infrastructure, and select the connection you just made.

carlitx
December 17th, 2006, 02:28
hmm ok sounds good but i got all that done allready iv been using the wireless router for everday use on my psp and when im in quak it only lets me turn adhoc or
Infrastructure on or off and than wen i say to join a game it only lets me select tcp/ip so wat am i doing worg?

ok i double checked and i chose home network when i turned on i.f. mode but it says no games could be found(under tcp/ip)? is this right? do nobody play this game online? i wish they did i love pvp action!

gpeters
December 22nd, 2006, 06:58
nobody really plays this any more, but you can go to my site and get configs for it to play online. I actually still have a server hosted to play online and there is another guy around here running one at pspquake.ath.cx. click on this link below to download my config for playing online... there is a slight learning curve, but you will do it if you want to join an online server.
http://www.garretpeters.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=105

check here to see who is on the servers... shame that it is usually nobody at all, though I played 2 guys today on pspquake.ath.cx:
http://www.garretpeters.com/quake/

carlitx
December 23rd, 2006, 05:30
sweet

neosayuki
February 4th, 2007, 02:49
Cool program keep up the good work

LilSwish722
February 4th, 2007, 02:56
gonna check this out. I love quake

oregono
February 20th, 2007, 04:57
could you use the full version of quake 1 for this?? have my cd handy still. Costs like <5 bucks now btw

We need people playing this!! nobody is on! Grr!

Also, how do i add a server to the join game menu by editing the config? Cant type on the psp...

Sharkey
February 20th, 2007, 17:37
To use the ful version just add the pak1.pak from the game you own to the id1 folder on your memory stick. It will automatically load up all the episodes after that. :)

Buddy4point0
February 20th, 2007, 17:38
im downloading now. cant wait to try it!

carlitx
February 20th, 2007, 18:22
man this is old as the hills but still good for homebrew

qwe44rty
March 10th, 2007, 10:00
no mouse no quake. ((

Quake_Freak:D
April 6th, 2007, 14:27
Ok I started a server from my psp

I went on my pc and found the game but when I join it says this

Trying
Still Trying
Connection Accepted

and just stops there! it lets me type stuff but wont get in!

Please help!

Quake_Freak:D
April 6th, 2007, 14:28
Why wont psp to pc work! it sez connection accpeted on the pc but wen I join it just stops at the console!

It lets me type stuff and it sez connection accpeted!

PeterM
April 7th, 2007, 00:38
I've no idea I'm afraid - I never had WiFi when the port was written. Maybe someone who's managed to get it working can help?

Sorry :-(

Be3f
April 13th, 2007, 08:47
Maybe someone who's managed to get it working can help?

You have a PM ;)

bah
June 25th, 2007, 13:24
If people don't like having to vertical aim when using the PSP's controls, just add 'sv_aim 0' without quotes on a new line at the end of your \ID1\config.cfg file.

It basically enables auto vertical aiming for enemies (not secrets you have to shoot on walls etc though) to make the game play like doom or wolf3d. Just aim on the horizontal axis and shoot.

IMO free look on a single (or even double) analogue stick setup like the PSP is just awkward even with lookspring.
Having the analogue for move forwards/back and rotate, the triggers for strafe and look on the d-pad for when its occasionally needed works really well for me.

Hope that helps someone.

takhaet
July 17th, 2007, 08:54
Cool just downloading it now hope its good.

swiss4545
February 16th, 2008, 20:21
You should make it so you can make your own maps on the pc and then play them on the psp, if the other players dont have the map it should transfer via wifi

NYPSP
March 9th, 2008, 17:12
Erm hello,
it works really good but i try to play infrastcure with my pc and when i put da wlan switch up and click on infra blah blah
the light dont turn on and i got a strong WLAN connection
so plz help

thnks

bacalacadaca
March 19th, 2008, 09:38
hey every time i press square to type in a server name my psp freezes why is that?

bah
March 19th, 2008, 11:02
Use PSP Quake 1.1 (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85515) by Juraj Styk or the modified version with ad-hoc (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90453) by kgsws˜™.

They have hardware rendering amongst many other improvements.

bacalacadaca
March 20th, 2008, 23:35
do i really need the other folder ending with SW? and where does it go?

bah
March 21st, 2008, 02:19
This should all really be posted in the PSP Quake thread but anyways....

Download PSP Quake 1 v 1.1.zip
Extract the zip
You will get 4 zip files (and a readme), the letters at the end mean: HW = Hardware rendering, SW = software rendering, KM = Kernel Mode, UM = User Mode
You only need the contents of one of the 4 zip files, I use HW_KM
Choose one, and extract it
Copy the 2 folders (in my case 'PSP_Quake1_HW_KM' and 'PSP_Quake1_HW_KM%' to X:\PSP\GAME150
Create a new folder inside the PSP quake folder without the % ('PSP_Quake1_HW_KM' for me) named ID1.
Find a copy of the shareware quake data file 'PAK0.PAK' online and put it in the ID1 folder. If you have a copy of quake you can copy over the full PAK0.PAK and PAK1.PAK from that instead
Enjoy one of the most polished/impressive pieces of PSP homebrew :)

bacalacadaca
March 21st, 2008, 02:41
yeah ended up using the relaese by some guy you reffered me to a while ago and it worked great now i can play online since i have the pak1.pak file but its still a little crazy in the servers like its not really all stradegy just random shooting haha

but i wish someone would send me a link showing servers for counter strike v74

bah
March 21st, 2008, 03:23
You REALLY need a mouse to play quake multiplayer. Its all about being able to aim quick.

I played a LOT of QuakeWorld back in the day, deathmatch can be crazy but there is skill to it. 1on1 or 2on2 duels used to be very popular.

The game pretty much created the online FPS market, many other games have refined the genre but Q1 still stands out above the rest for me.
Halo can go screw itself :P

bacalacadaca
March 24th, 2008, 06:28
on the quake servers its annoying when i have to press 1 or 2 to join but the psp doesnt have a 1 or 2 button and you cant set it up either is there a way around this?

Solie
March 29th, 2008, 09:17
Running Quake on usermode with slim, 3.90m33. The game freezes every time after it finishes loading the demo. Well, actually it says "Necropolis" then freezes.

:fixed: Also I added -cpu333 to the cmdline, but when I start quake the CPU shows up as 222 on the console.

:edit1: Wait, I think I know why... it's GLQuake 1.09.. this needs 1.06 right?

:edit2: Tried demo 1.06, works just fine.

PSPGTR
April 25th, 2008, 03:17
there is a nasty bug on this program

Smoshy848
April 27th, 2008, 09:45
when i tried to play it said error

hokk
April 27th, 2008, 15:12

http://dl.qj.net/PSP-Quake-1-v1.1-with-Adhoc-PSP-Homebrew-Games/pg/12/fid/15900/catid/195

bah
April 28th, 2008, 10:30
Local copies (Use one of these, PSPQuake is the best Quake 1 port to PSP):

PSPQuake 1.1 by Juraj-Styk (all versions). (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85515)

PSPQuake 1.1 (HW_UM version) with adhoc support added by kgsws˜™ (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90453)

I'm sure both have been posted in this thread before but noone bothers to read back.

This post will probably be lost to more nondescript postings of issues with this old port of quake.

synthetic_h8
June 30th, 2008, 07:18
i'm downloading it now, can't wait to mod my psp in 2 days

bah
June 30th, 2008, 12:13
synthetic_h8:
Use on of these newer ports, which have hardware rendering instead of software (looks much better) amongst other things.

Local copies (Use one of these, PSPQuake is the best Quake 1 port to PSP):

PSPQuake 1.1 by Juraj-Styk (all versions). (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85515)

PSPQuake 1.1 (HW_UM version) with adhoc support added by kgsws˜™ (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90453)

I'm sure both have been posted in this thread before but noone bothers to read back.

This post will probably be lost to more nondescript postings of issues with this old port of quake.

triggermoneky
April 12th, 2009, 19:11
i guess this game doesnt work anymore huh? cause when i start the game its says the following error occurred: W_LoadWadFile: Couldn't load gfx.wad

triggermoneky
April 12th, 2009, 19:20
it doesnt work for me. can you help?

andwan0
July 9th, 2009, 09:57
Is there a GOD cheat for PSP Quake? I don't really want the all weapons cheat since that also gives the keys - which ruins the play through.

apolloguy
July 29th, 2010, 10:25
just asking is the the full version of the game ,if not can i get on psn?

apolloguy
July 29th, 2010, 10:56
also can i play the expansion packs by just replacing the .pak file with the expansion .pak file