PDA

View Full Version : Two firmwares one PSP!!!

THE_SANE_DUDE
April 2nd, 2006, 01:53
I was reading Pure, a magazine for PSP's and saw this article:

From Pure, Feb '06
McZonk, the leader of Team Emergency Exit, has announced some progress in their research into the flash chip that stores the PSP's firmware. The team's abition is to identify a means to enable homebrew software to run on any and all PSPs.

TEE claims to have identified the bog-standard used in the the PSP is freely available on the open market. The only catch is that it is only available to anyone willing to purchase the 1000 unit minimum order quantity. Which is quiet a few.

This opens the way to a possible dual chip PSP, giving the user a choice of which firmware to boot from. This could, theoretically, allow users to use homebrew software from a chip containing firmware 1.50, and be able to switch to the latest firmware to play the most recent games. It could also mean a (relatively) unbrickable PSP: If a flash update fails, you can start your PSP from your other firmware and reflash thecorrupted chip.

The chip, a Samsung K5E5658HCM 256 mbit NAND ROM with onboard DDR RAM (easy to remember huh?), is harder to write to than a NOR logic gated device and is connected directly to the PSP's proccessor and onboard RAM.

This means a secondarychip would need to have connecting circut of exactly the same lenght in order to copy precisely the RAM timings - a major difficulty to overcome for anyone trying to graft a secondary chip onto the allready crowded motherbaord.

I'm pretty sure this means that if we could connect a second flash chip we could install FW 1.50 onto it and play as much homebrew as our MS could handle! :D

Is n-e-1 goin' 2 try it and could you let us know if it works?

BALL_SAC
April 2nd, 2006, 05:26
I also heard about this as well. If you use this link
http://dl.qj.net/PSP/catid/106
you should learn a little about the dual boot project. This looks a little interesting

THE_SANE_DUDE
April 5th, 2006, 08:54
Where on the site is it?

It's a good idea i think

Shilo
April 5th, 2006, 22:19
2 firmwares?? Thats awesome!

N64DUDE
April 8th, 2006, 01:02
would this work for v2.6 psp's?

THE_SANE_DUDE
April 8th, 2006, 05:48
I don't think it's been tried, and it wont matter what firmware, its the hard drive, not the software we're talking about :)

stotheamuel
April 8th, 2006, 06:00
"Is n-e-1 goin' 2 try it and could you let us know if it works?"
yeah let me just break the **** out of my psp

Forever~Zero
April 9th, 2006, 09:29
That would be way cool man.