PDA

View Full Version : Battlemodo: The Wiimote vs. The Cheap Knockoffs

wraggster
June 16th, 2009, 20:13
Nyko and Mad Catz are a virtual tie when it comes to buttons. As different as the buttons may look, neither set feels all that different from the Wiimote during play. I will say, I prefer the B button (triggers) on both third party remotes to the Wiimote's. There is a little more pull in each that feels just right for gun games like HOTD.

As for special tricks, Mad Catz includes none, but Nyko's Trans-Port technology allows their Wand to communicate with peripherals electronically. I've used their version of the Zapper, and without a mechanical link between peripheral and remote buttons, it feels better than Nintendo's official version. But we don't know how many peripherals will take advantage of Trans-Port, and besides, only Nyko will support the system.

Winner: Wiimote, Runner Up: Nyko Wand

After years without a proper fake Wiimote to suck some cash away from Nintendo, two titans of third party peripherals have produced their own respectable knockoffs. And I'm really glad this development has happened. Even if neither is cheap (the Nyko Wand is $35 while the Mad Catz Wireless Remote is $30), they do put at least a little pressure on Nintendo, who charges a straight up insulting $60 for their Wiimote/Nunchuk combo.

But given Mad Catz' sudden dealbreaker issue with the IR and Nyko's ever-so-less fluid IR experience and initial issues with Wii MotionPlus, we're still going to recommend the good old Nintendo Wiimote—that is, unless Mad Catz and Nyko get a little more price-competitive.

And who woulda thunk, our verdict had nothing to do with accelerometers?

full details --> http://gizmodo.com/5291847/battlemodo-the-wiimote-vs-the-cheap-knockoffs