PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a Snes Game To Try on Emulators

wraggster
April 2nd, 2006, 20:22
Funny title i know, but with the PSP it brought a lot of newcomers to the world of emulation, a lot of people who probably had never heard of systems such as the Snes, so this is the first of many newsposts with a little history about the console and also a chance for our members to say which games they liked most and recommend them to todays audience, heres goes:

Before i start a massive thanks to Dark Watchers Console History (http://darkwatcher.psxfanatics.com/console/nameindex.htm) for the Info and Screens (Best site on net for Console Info)

http://darkwatcher.psxfanatics.com/console/snes.jpg

Super Famicom / SuperNES

Around 1988 Nintendo was still enjoying the success of it’s NES / Famicom system and didn’t see any need to jump on the 16-bit bandwagon. However the NEC PCengine / Turbografix in Japan, and the Sega Genesis in the US were beginning to dominate the videogame market. Nintendo's jump to 16-bit was no real surprise. Oddly enough Nintendo wanted the original Famicom to be 16-bit, but resources at the time were too expensive to make it happen, but now was the opportunity to take Nintendo to the next level.

The Super Famicom was released in November 1989, and immediately took over 80 percent of the Japanese market. They still had a lot of ground to cover to catch up with the other 16-bit systems. The console itself was quite impressive, and introduced scaling and rotation effects (the famous Mode 7) that could not be duplicated on the other systems.

Nintendo was still slow to release the system overseas. A shortage of supplies, and the fact that the NES was still making money in the US delayed the Super Famicom’s release. The system was finally released in the US on September 1st 1991, and called the SuperNES. The SuperNES was also released in Europe a year later in April 1992.

The SuperNES soon amassed a large library and battled toe to toe with Sega. Their popular character franchises and exclusive games kept them in a heated rivalry. Arcade games played a strong role in the competition. SuperNES got the jump on Sega by releasing the popular arcade title ‘Street Fighter 2’ with temporary exclusivity. Soon after they lost the edge when they chose to censor another popular arcade fighter ‘Mortal Kombat’, which Sega released unedited.

Much More History on This Page (http://darkwatcher.psxfanatics.com/console/snes.htm)

Now onto Snes games to recommend, now i could list up to 100 killer games but ill keep my faves to just 10 games.

Here they are:

Mario Kart - Best 2 player racing game ever
Mario World - best 2d platformer ever
Pilotwings - Sweet flying Game
Zelda 3 - Fantastic RPG for all ages
Donkey Kong Country - The graphics for Snes were amazing
Streetfighter 2 - 2D fighting at its best
Uniracer - Bloody adictive racer
Starfox - Killer game with awesome 3D
Mario All Stars - Platform Gaming Heaven
Super Star Wars - A must for any Star Wars Fan

Thats my faves what games would you recommend ?

pakkman781
April 2nd, 2006, 20:36
I recommend all the ones you said above, plus these:

Super Metroid - Widely considered the best Metroid ever, and in some cases, the best game on the SNES, period.
Super Mario RPG - Absolutely awesome game. The best collaboration between Nintendo and Squaresoft ever conceived, and yet it was a rare, hard to find game in it's day, and has never been revived by Nintendo since (probably legal issues). An absolute essential in any SNES emulation collection.
Cannon Fodder - A little known but excellent game. Like SOCOM for the SNES.

zx-81
April 2nd, 2006, 20:37
I add two of my favorites games to your list :
Super Bomber Man : Funny and addictive arcade game
Arkanoid : the best version of the famous break-out game :)

ukkevinl
April 2nd, 2006, 20:44
f-zero: the original 'futuristic' racer!

idapimp
April 2nd, 2006, 20:45
final fantasy 3 - one of the best RPG's of all time
chronotrigger - sweet rpg
tales of phantasia - probably the best of the tales series

chrisrulz555
April 2nd, 2006, 21:06
Star Ocean - Best rpg ever IMO

gelon
April 2nd, 2006, 21:08
Super Mario World and Super Demo World The Legend Continues (A hard hack)

Final Fantasy IV and VI

Dual Orb 2

Final Fight 1, 2, 3

Much more

danonano420
April 2nd, 2006, 21:21
King of Dragons - beat em' up
Knights of the Round - beat em' up
Front mission - strategy (awesome game)
cannon fodder - strategy
kirby's dreamcourse - sorta of a golf game
gundam wing endless dual - fighting game
bomberman 1 & 2
sim city - hells yeah :cool:

sroon
April 2nd, 2006, 21:32
Secret of Mana all the way. Earthbound. sieken densetsu 3. chrono trigger.

Mew
April 2nd, 2006, 21:46
Kirby's Fun Pack <-- !

Bluecat
April 2nd, 2006, 22:00
I add two of my favorites games to your list :
Super Bomber Man : Funny and addictive arcade game
Arkanoid : the best version of the famous break-out game :)

Just to add to that, Bomberman 2 is the best of the bunch (of 4 or 5 if memory serves)

Can't wait for the next SnesTYL with wireless multiplayer support for that puppy!

DaMadFiddler
April 2nd, 2006, 22:07
OMGWAREZ!!!!11111one

quzar
April 2nd, 2006, 22:08
I agree wholeheartedly.

Junior
April 2nd, 2006, 22:11
At least there are some gems among those that are not necesarily Mario, Zelda, Pokemon or other original Nintendo made-up fed-up sick-of franchises. Seriously, those games are good. Thing is I'm sick of the same old heroes. Same old stories. Same old.

Sometime during when the N64 was released I realized this is here to stay, and since then I went out to buy other consoles and other good games. It's like when chicken is your favourite food and you eat it all the time. At some point you'll just not want to eat more of that. Can't stand it anymore.

stotheamuel
April 2nd, 2006, 22:14
Kirby's Fun Pack <-- !

hmm i call it kirby superstar....

yeah i love that game thats a good 'n

and all on the origional

Anger
April 2nd, 2006, 22:30
its a tough call for me - i had many a snes game but really only thoroughly enjoyed 2 of them.
it would be a tie between starwing (starfox) and super metroid.
i remember creating my own ar codes to hack starwing to get different ships to play in etc. and i couldnt stop playing with metroid. i couldnt pick the best from the 2 of them.

b8a
April 2nd, 2006, 23:29
Am I the only one that liked Goemon/Legend of the Mistical Ninja? It was fun for a myriad of reasons and had keen graphics.

I think this is an iffy subject though. It would be one thing to say that this were a topic for old timers to discuss their old favorites, but to say that it's a thread to introduce young 'uns to some of the best is dangerous. If I had any hope that they would go out and buy these (and they are still widely available, cheaply, at used stores and eBay), I wouldn't mind, but we all know that, if anything, it's just going to motivate kids to go download these without ever trying to buy them. And that's just going to fuel new threads asking about "what ROMs are good for xx system that I never owned, oh, and by the way, where can I get those ROMs?" It's a slippery slope from that to condoning ISOs. Besides, even kids who weren't old enough to play the SNES in it's day largely know of all the old classics for that system... That usually goes for the classics of other systems as well. I would think twice before continuing this series.

moogster66
April 2nd, 2006, 23:33
Contra 3 The Alien Wars! Best shooter on the snes!

pkmaximum
April 2nd, 2006, 23:40
Out of all the SNES games I have played I would have to say these were my favorite titles based on their different qualities:

Mario Kart-I would have to say this was the best party game I have played

Secret of Mana- By far the best Co-op RPG I have ever seen.

Illusion of Gaia-This game appealed to me as another great 1-player RPG

Zelda 3 Link to the Past- By far probaly the best 2D zelda game ever made.

Super Mario All Stars/w super mario world- I would have to say this raps up the best 2D side scrolling Mario Games.

Mortal Kombat 3 +Street Figher 2: I would have to say these were the best fighting games I have played for the SNES.

Kirby's Dream Land 3: Best 2D Kirby game ever made and it even featured multiplayer. :)

Dragon View- This in my opionion was the best 1-player RPG made for the SNES.

Super Metroid- Best of the 2D metroid games.

That is my opinion of the best SNES games I have played. If any of you feel different I respect that :)

indstr
April 3rd, 2006, 00:28
half the games mentioned can't even be run at playable speeds on PSP yet .... pretty much no mode 7 games are playable, and certainly not FX chip games. for the 2d spritebased games, only some of them can run at fullspeed.

i don't really think this thread is appropriate until there is better emulation, or people need to start mentioning games that actually run well.

in that vein, i will recommend some games that play full speed (60fps with sound with frameskip off or 1 at the maximum):

donkey kong country
castlevania X
alien 3
rock & roll racing

bullhead
April 3rd, 2006, 00:39
zelda link to the past is fantastic and runs brillantly with frameskip set to 3.

pkmaximum
April 3rd, 2006, 00:46
half the games mentioned can't even be run at playable speeds on PSP yet .... pretty much no mode 7 games are playable, and certainly not FX chip games. for the 2d spritebased games, only some of them can run at fullspeed.

i don't really think this thread is appropriate until there is better emulation, or people need to start mentioning games that actually run well.

in that vein, i will recommend some games that play full speed (60fps with sound with frameskip off or 1 at the maximum):

donkey kong country
castlevania X
alien 3
rock & roll racing

No offense dude but the only game that I had trouble emulating using SNES TYL V0.2c was mario kart. And everything else basically ran at a good playable speed. Nothing personal just I think you may be using a different version of his emulator. And another statment I noticed that SNES TYL V0.3 that runs in user mode kind of blows I installed it for my friend and it ran slow as hell so I would not recommend using that.

wazzal7
April 3rd, 2006, 00:48
Harvest Moon is an addictive sim. Also very hard to find.
Sim City is also one of my old fav's. Sim City 2000 waz also released on SNES, but it wasnt as fun.
o, and what were u saying about not that many people knowing about the SNES? i was born in '90 and have known about it since i waz 5!

Ziro
April 3rd, 2006, 01:15
no discussion of where to get illegal material. - staff

snkrock25
April 3rd, 2006, 01:21
You know how hard its gonna be to find those games to buy...

Jonesyxxiv
April 3rd, 2006, 02:30
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Donkey Kong Country
Zelda:a link to the past
Alladin (I remember playing this when i was really young)

Corona
April 3rd, 2006, 04:47
Any of the FF series are good for SNES.
Chrono Trigger is brilliant.
Mario RPG is beyond brilliant.
Killer Instinct was good.

THERE ARE FRIGGIN TONS OF SWEET SNES GAMES!!

jman420
April 3rd, 2006, 05:39
I would say, Super Mario RPG would be the only game that I want to be able to play, and cant due to emulators..

jairolas
April 3rd, 2006, 06:02
if you want to find some roms for your backups, just go to google.com lol!!!??

nightmare666
April 3rd, 2006, 06:29
hey is it me or mario kart not working or atleast all my racing backups arnt workin eather like fzero
and i got the newest version
any one have this problem
using a 1.5 psp no e loader

piecefull
April 3rd, 2006, 06:34
indiana jones trilogy

PlayingKarrde
April 3rd, 2006, 08:31
Wonder Project J (get the translation) - An awesome game where you have to teach a robot how to do things. Just get it and you'll see.

Parodius - If you're a Gradius fan you'll know this, if you're a shooter fan you should know this. If you don't know this, get this. Better and more fun than Gradius and fifteen times more bizarre.

Legend of the Mystical Ninja - Best Goemon out there if you ask me. Great in single or in two player. Infinately more playable on an emulator with save since you don't need to write down the 7000 character save code.

Super Street Fighter 2 - Most consider Hyper Fighting (or Turbo) to be the best, but y'know, I like Fei Long and Cammy is kinda hot, so I personally think this is the best. If it were as fast as Turbo then it would win hands down.

Flashback - Sequel to Another World (Out of this World in the US) this is very similar in its roto styling, but more action orientated. If you like the original Prince of Persia, but would like a good story, great graphics and altogether good sci-fi fun , then this is your game.

Another World - Like Flashback, only harder and more annoying, but I had some great times on this game way back when. It is hard, but don't let that put you off. It is rewarding and has a great atmosphere.

Super Ghouls and Ghosts - Not sure why this hasn't been mentioned yet, but its possibly the hardest game ever, but enormously fun. I don't know why its always so satisfying getting the gold armour, but since it doesn't happen too often, I always think I'm king. Annoyingly long (none-skippable) intro gets in the way, but speed up emulation has fixed another one.

Add in your above said Marios, Zeldas, Metroids, Manas and so on and you have yourself a pretty darn good collection making all those flashy PSP games look like the crap they really are. Oh if there wasn't emulation my PSP would be in the bin.

Thank you TYL!

meeples peoples
April 3rd, 2006, 08:44
off topic but gunstar heroes for genesis is best side scroller

chrono trigger
final fantasy 3/6
mana games not bad
final fight if you want brainless time killing

ABSOLUTELY no encouraging kids to do drugs! -staff

Plowking
April 3rd, 2006, 11:00
Games I'd reccommend that will run on the SNES 02c emulator at playable speeds are:

Super Mario All Stars
Super Mario World
Zelda 3
Super Ghouls n' Ghosts
Final Fantasy 6 (or 3 in the US)
Chrono Trigger
Cannon Fodder

Generally the only rule of thumb is to stay away from mode 7 heavy games. Like:
Mario Kart
F-Zero
Starfox (Starwing) - FX chip

muffinman
April 3rd, 2006, 11:24
Games i would recommend are:
Super mario allstars + super mario world
zelda link to the past
chrono trigger (i had to complete this game again with all 12 different endings when i found a decent snes emu for psp i love it)
Final fantasy 6 (3 american)
street fighter 2
starwing? ( i think thats the name i should really go look at my real snes games)
super metroid
tetris :p
and of course super mario kart

thats all i can think of atm. Now i must go and play super metroid

Lukeson
April 3rd, 2006, 12:53
Can't believe you left out Secret of Mana

sroon
April 3rd, 2006, 15:18
Can't believe you left out Secret of Mana
I didnt its on the first page.
Soul Blazer and Ilusion of Giai are good too.

creoleplane
April 3rd, 2006, 16:18
final fantasy 3 - one of the best RPG's of all time
chronotrigger - sweet rpg
tales of phantasia - probably the best of the tales series
Kind of off topic but I don't remember any "RPG's" for the SNES. It had plenty of turn based adventure games such as the FF series and many other Square games. But no true open ended Ultima/Kings Quest/Elder Scrolls style RPGS. Remember RPGs mean creating your own path and story through the game not observing one.

Mysteryman
April 3rd, 2006, 18:34
I didnt see anyone put dr.mario. The mega man games are pretty good too.

RedKing14CA
April 3rd, 2006, 19:06
Zelda a link to the past
Earthbound
Super StarWars

FizzleDizzle
April 3rd, 2006, 21:14
Terranigma, Tales of Phantasia, Chrono Trigger and any FF for the SNES. They all rock! Terranigma seems to run really slow on the PSP tho :(

samidgley
April 4th, 2006, 15:25
Best Snes game ever Paradious non sense fantasy... and then all the cliche ones too

Lumir
April 4th, 2006, 20:12
I think it was mentioned befor but a must get game is Front mission (english fix one), Front mission 2, Star ocean (english fix one)